Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenrick Ellis won't miss Camp, gets split jail sentence

Kenrick Ellis won't miss Camp, gets split jail sentence

Jets' Kenrick Ellis will report on time to training camp with split jail sentence
    By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Jets defensive lineman Kenrick Ellis will be able to report on time to training camp in Cortland, N.Y., after the Hampton Circuit Court agreed to split his jail sentence for misdemeanor assault and battery.

Ellis will report to the Hampton City Jail at 6 p.m. today, and he will be in custody until July 9, a court clerk confirmed. He will serve the remainder of his term, a total of 45 days on good behavior, beginning March 1, 2013.
    Players are due to report to training camp July 26, so if Ellis had served his sentence consecutively, he would have missed the first few days of Jets training camp.

The court also approved Ellis being granted a work release while in jail, but the final decision is up to the sheriff, the clerk said. The New York Post first reported the changes to Ellis' sentence.

Ellis entered an "Alford" plea last month for misdemeanor assault and battery, stemming from a 2010 incident at Hampton University in Virginia. He was sentenced to 179 days in jail, with 89 days suspended, and is set to serve half of the remaining days with good behavior.

Coach Rex Ryan said he spoke with Ellis at the end of this week's mini-camp, and he believes the second-year player is mentally tough enough to handle his jail term.

"I have conversations with a lot of our players, but obviously thatís a different situation. But I definitely talked to him," Ryan said. "There are people that have gone through similar things, and I basically said, 'Lean on each other.' Thatís pretty much it."
    Good news.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Good news.
    Great news!

He probably will be the happiest camper up in Cortland, after his short stint in the house.

If it were me I'd rather just get it all done at one time. Missing two or three days of camp is no big deal.

Banned
    I've never been in his position/situation before, but I'd imagine it being very difficult to focus on football (or life in general) during a period of time where your NFL career and overall future of life is up for grabs, in the hands of the court system/judge ala facing deportation and/or potentially serious time. Must have been hard on the rookie last season. Hopefully this year he'll be able to focus more on improving as a football player without having to worry about all the other stuff that came along with his rookie season. Looking forward to having Ellis in our rotation this up coming season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    If it were me I'd rather just get it all done at one time. Missing two or three days of camp is no big deal.
    I totally agree.

I don't understand why he would do this.

Now he will have those 20 or so days (starting in March) to think about during the season.

He should just get it over with and done.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I totally agree.

Now he will have those 20 or so days (starting in March) to think about during the season.

He's gonna be on work release during the day. He's 6'4, 330, who the hell is gonna mess with him? I doubt he worries about his second "stretch" much during the season.

So if I beat the sh!t out of a troll here and hand the judge this article will I get the same deal?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    He's gonna be on work release during the day. He's 6'4, 330, who the hell is gonna mess with him? I doubt he worries about his second "stretch" much during the season.
    He's down in your neck of the woods, you gonna bring him a 50 pak from white castle?

All League
    I totally agree.

He won't do the second stretch.

Sent from my LTEvo

Jets Insider VIP
    the second stretch will be gone good bye when he is released after the first stretch for good behavior

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Disagree for a few reasons:

1) Big Mo said in a recent interview that Ellis struggled with the playbook last year. Missing the beginning of camp puts him behind the 8 ball

2) If he spends a month and a half in jail, he's going to show up to camp out of shape even if he exercises in jail. Means less reps in camp and/or increased likelihood he gets a minor injury in camp. Again, it would put him behind the 8 ball.

Let him miss time when nothing matters. We need Ellis to be a legitimate backup to Pouha this year. Less time in jail increases those chances.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

1) Big Mo said in a recent interview that Ellis struggled with the playbook last year. Missing the beginning of camp puts him behind the 8 ball

2) If he spends a month and a half in jail, he's going to show up to camp out of shape even if he exercises in jail. Means less reps in camp and/or increased likelihood he gets a minor injury in camp. Again, it would put him behind the 8 ball.

Let him miss time when nothing matters. We need Ellis to be a legitimate backup to Pouha this year. Less time in jail increases those chances.
    I disagree, the kind of shape he needs to be in based on his position/skillset won't be hampered that much as opposed to a lb, cb. He will be ok.

I'm just glad he won't get deported. The fact that he won't miss TC(work release or not) is a big PLUS.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    So if I beat the sh!t out of a troll here and hand the judge this article will I get the same deal?
    Actually I have seen child molesters and drug dealers get similar deals (obviously not the length of time of their deal but in terms of letting them work their time around work/deaths in family/births of kids).

I am not even sure he would get jail time if he wasn't a famous player. Sometimes they make lessons of athletes so they don't look soft. Then again, some famous people get great lawyers and beat the rap despite overwhelming evidece (Ie OJ)

That's awesome!

Is the guy he almost beat to death out of his coma yet?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Reed View Post
    That's awesome!

Is the guy he almost beat to death out of his coma yet?
    Yes, he got a Titans hoodie.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    He's 6'4, 330, who the hell is gonna mess with him?
    8 Five six, 170 lb. guys with hard-ons.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post

IMO there is value in having two weeks off from July 9th to report date of July 26th, just time to get his straight after a trying ordeal... I'm not sure of the food, workouts in work release, mental state caused by prison..two and a half weeks to get focused and ready to go

All Pro
    I totally agree.

I don't know if you've ever been in jail. I spent the weekend in a holding cell. Got arrested on a Friday night, and had to wait till Monday to see the Judge. If you had been you would split the time too, or at day 20 you'd be wishing to God that you had. Anyone that doesn't like being locked in a cage would do the same.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Kenrick Ellis said that Rex Ryan, Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum visited him at different times when he was incarcerated in Virginia