Thread: 10 Things We Learned in Mini-Camp

Veteran

10 Things We Learned in Mini-Camp

[SIZE="5"]10 things we learned in minicamp[/SIZE]

June, 15, 2012

2:46
    PM ET

Putting a bow on the Jets' three-day minicamp, which concluded Thursday:

1. The Jets are absolutely committed to Mark Sanchez as their starting QB. Yeah, we already knew that, but the organization reinforced it by going to such great lengths to squash any notion of a potential controversy. I mean, when was the last time you saw a coach giving an unsolicited explanation to the media on why the backup got two first-team reps? This was all part of the Jets' united-front campaign.

2. While on the subject of Sanchez, he didn't have an efficient minicamp. Yes, it's a new offense and, yes, his receiving corps was banged up, but there were times when he didn't seem comfortable throwing the football. Minicamp stats are virtually meaningless, but I'm going to give them anyway -- 11-for-29, with four sacks and three near-interceptions. On the positive side, he didn't have any turnovers, and that's a huge area of emphasis for him. Overall, this wasn't a great showing, but it was a learning experience and it should help him in training camp.

3. Tim Tebow (11-for-18, two sacks, one TD) performed as expected. He showed arm strength and a decent touch on long throws, but he still has that elongated throwing motion -- i.e., a slow release. He was indecisive with some of his reads, especially in red-zone drills. His accuracy was inconsistent, but everybody knew that about him. He is who he is. Tebow revealed that he's up to 249 pounds, by design, a sure sign that he'll be carrying the ball out of the Wildcat.

4. The Jets weren't kidding when they said a few weeks ago that they'd be mixing in more 4-3 fronts this season. They showed a lot of 4-3 in minicamp, using different combinations. Sometimes they used four true linemen, and sometimes they used OLB Calvin Pace as a defensive end. It doesn't mean it will be their new base defense, but it's there if needed. It gives opponents something else to think about.

5. New OC Tony Sparano was good for morale. Let me explain. His desire for the Jets to become a physical, run-oriented team created a sense of identity on offense. The defensive players also liked Sparano because he forced them to play faster (he constantly harped on increasing the tempo) and he showed them new looks, forcing them to adjust on the fly. The defense was bored by Brian Schottenheimer's offense because, after so many years, it became predictable to them. It lulled them to sleep and they probably didn't get as much out of practice as they should've.

6. Players that impressed me: Rookie DE Quinton Coples, WR Chaz Schilens, S Yeremiah Bell, PK Josh Brown, WR Royce Pollard and WR DaMarcus Ganaway.

7. Players that didn't impress me: WR Jeremy Kerley, TE Jeff Cumberland, G Vladimir Ducasse and CB Kyle Wilson.

8. There is no doubt the Jets are a better-conditioned team than a year ago, starting with a better-conditioned head coach.

9. I learned that big NT Kenrick Ellis couldn't do a single pull-up when he arrived a year ago. Rex Ryan dropped that nugget in Thursday's news conference, which I'm sure Ellis appreciated. Ellis is a key player this season. The scholarship has expired; the Jets need him to be part of their D-line rotation.

10. S Eric Smith made some nice plays on the ball. I know fans are down on him because of his pass-coverage struggles last season, but Smith will be a key player in the secondary. He's the only safety that knows the system and, after minor knee surgery, he seemed to be running better than last year.

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

All Pro
    This seems like a fair and balanced write up. Cimini must have been drunk or somebody found his lost doll and returned it to him. ;)

All League
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4492824]This seems like a fair and balanced write up. Cimini must have been drunk or somebody found his lost doll and returned it to him. ;)[/QUOTE]

Or he made his intern do it so he could go play golf instead.....

He must have found another writers' lost notes that blew away from the wind.

Jets Insider VIP
    there seems to be a huge disparity between the Dick Semen-i Sanchez stats and those reported during each day of the camp by ALL the other reporters....

reports like 8 of 10 for one practice and similar ones for others

Yet somehow, Dick Semen-i only managed to see 11 completions total out of 29 attempts?

either he is an outright lying douchebag OR (based on my times of watching him watch practices at Hofstra for years and at Cortland in 2010) he may have spent most of the practices in his usual position of facing away from the field jabbering on his cell phone probably ordering pizza or chinese food for lunch

All League
    [B]5. New OC Tony Sparano was good for morale. Let me explain. His desire for the Jets to become a physical, run-oriented team created a sense of identity on offense. The defensive players also liked Sparano because he forced them to play faster (he constantly harped on increasing the tempo) and he showed them new looks, forcing them to adjust on the fly. The defense was bored by Brian Schottenheimer's offense because, after so many years, it became predictable to them. It lulled them to sleep and they probably didn't get as much out of practice as they should've.[/B]

another reason to be glad the Schotty's gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Positives - Quintin Couples, up tempo offense

Negatives - Ducasse and Wilson. Epic fail in that draft for tanny. Not sure who else we could have gotten, but man do these 2 stink.

I think the D is going to be top 5 this year. They will keep us in games.

I know everyone is excited about Sanchez's 4th year, but sadly, I expect him to be the same qb he has been for the last 3 years.

11. We also learned that Cimini is still a douche.

Banned
    [QUOTE=sg3;4492852]there seems to be a huge disparity between the Dick Semen-i Sanchez stats and those reported during each day of the camp by ALL the other reporters....

reports like 8 of 10 for one practice and similar ones for others

Yet somehow, Dick Semen-i only managed to see 11 completions total out of 29 attempts?

either he is an outright lying douchebag OR (based on my times of watching him watch practices at Hofstra for years and at Cortland in 2010) he may have spent most of the practices in his usual position of facing away from the field jabbering on his cell phone probably ordering pizza or chinese food for lunch[/QUOTE]

We've had a little fun the last two months with all the over-analysis of the Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow "battle" during the New York Jets' OTA season.

So we may as well cap things off with one final breakdown.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News has your final New York Jets minicamp stats. Sanchez got all the starter snaps.

Final mini-camp stats: Mark Sanchez went 10 for 27 (37%) in 49 first-tm snaps. Tim Tebow went 11 for 17 (64.7%) w/1 fumble in 30 snaps #nyj

Manish Mehta(@TheJetsStream) June 14, 2012

Hmmm. We're really trying not to draw any conclusions from this. Still trying. Still .... eh, forget it.

No matter what Rex Ryan says publicly, the fact his first-team offense completed less than 40% of its passes when the team wasn't even in pads is going to drive the offensive coaches crazy. That's the type of trend that could create a real quarterback competition in August.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829d79e3/article/mark-sanchez-struggles-with-accuracy-at-minicamp?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]That's the type of trend that could create a real quarterback competition in August.[/QUOTE]

No, Rex is going with Sanchez. He has been here 3 years and they just gave him that BS extension. In order to avoid looking like fools, they have to start him this year. But he will be on a short leash and with Buff, Pitt, Hou, SF and NE in the 1st 7 weeks, Sanchez will have his work cut out for him to keep his job.

I wasn't near a computer for the last day of mini-camp, so I didn't make an update thread (too much hassle to do it on the iPhone). Sanchez was 4 for 5 in 7-on-7s and 1 for 10 in 11-on-11's on the last day. Tebow was 2 for 3 and 3 for 4.

It was 3rd down day because the defense was using a Coples, Pace, Maybin, Davis front on defense; and I can't imagine them using that on anything other than 3rd & long.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4492863]No, Rex is going with Sanchez. He has been here 3 years and they just gave him that BS extension. In order to avoid looking like fools, they have to start him this year. But he will be on a short leash and with Buff, Pitt, Hou, SF and NE in the 1st 7 weeks, Sanchez will have his work cut out for him to keep his job.[/QUOTE]

exactly

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4492854]Positives - Quintin Couples, up tempo offense

Negatives - Ducasse and Wilson. Epic fail in that draft for tanny. Not sure who else we could have gotten, but man do these 2 stink.

I think the D is going to be top 5 this year. They will keep us in games.

I know everyone is excited about Sanchez's 4th year, but sadly, I expect him to be the same qb he has been for the last 3 years.[/QUOTE]

I just do not get the hate that some of this board has for Kyle Wilson....hes not Revis but he played pretty damn good nickel last year. And every single person knew Ducasse was very raw when we drafted him....now since hes not at Orlando Pace level yet hes automatically a bust. Give these kids some freakin time.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;4492788]

7. Players that didn't impress me: WR Jeremy Kerley, TE Jeff Cumberland, G Vladimir Ducasse and CB Kyle Wilson.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried about Kerley or Wilson. Kerley is built for the slot and showed us last year, as a rookie, that he can keep the chains moving on 3rd down. In regards to Kyle Wilson, in my eyes, this kid is developing into a very solid/strong nickel back thus far through two years.

Cumberland and Vlad are concerns though. After Turner went down last year, and after losing Turner during the offseason, we really need Vlad to come into his own as added depth. We all know the question marks surrounding Vlad, so there's no need to get into it, but Cumberland on the other hand? Hopefully he can rebound and recover (physically/mentally) from last years season ending injury, because during the preseason he was one of the standout players for not only the Jets, but the entire league during preseason games. Preseason or not, he's shown very solid pass catching/run after the catch ability. Just look at the ways that NE uses Gronk/Hernandez. Not saying that Keller/Cumberland are or can compare to NE's TE Duo, but it'll be nice to see Sanchez feature two pass catching TE's in Keller and Cumberland. Could do wonders for his overall development ala TE's being young QB's best friend.

All Pro
    WR Ganaway you say Cimini...

If Eric Smith is a 'key player in the secondary' the Jets will get killed back there once again.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4492910]If Eric Smith is a 'key player in the secondary' the Jets will get killed back there once again.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I've heard reports stating that Rex is going with Bell and Landry as our starting safety's this season, which are both upgrades over Lenohard and Smith. With all that said, Eric Smith will provide solid depth, especially in obvious running situations.

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4492906]After Turner went down last year, and after losing Turner during the offseason, we really need Vlad to come into his own as added depth. We all know the question marks surrounding Vlad, so there's no need to get into it, .[/QUOTE]

I've really be rooting for Vlad but this is not good. He has had years to figure all this out. I'm pretty convinced it's a brain pan issue... he is the Ocho of the Oline. And don't start with the language BS, he graduated American HS and college. If language is still an issue than it's because he hasn't got the brain power to master it.

Damn shame but hey, as much as I'd love to be designing intergalactic vehicles for NASA I'm not smart enough so I don't have the job.

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4492928]I've really be rooting for Vlad but this is not good. He has had years to figure all this out. I'm pretty convinced it's a brain pan issue... he is the Ocho of the Oline. And don't start with the language BS, he graduated American HS and college. If language is still an issue [B]then**[/B] it's because he hasn't got the brain power to master it.[/QUOTE]

:D Just playin lol.

But seriously, I can't understand people who are bashing Kyle Wilson. I thought he made great improvements last year and was a very strong nickel back for us. It was Revis' third year that we really started to see the player he was capable of being, I'll wait till I see Wilson start crapping the bed in GAMES before I'm ready to call "bust" on someone who's been a nice productive player for us thus far.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    We aren't learning anything, but they are.