Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republicans Most Conservative They've Been in 100 years

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4494250]Don't forget the billions of tax dollars spent on building up foreign countries that are friendly to our business interests (the most insulting part is that its under the guise of 'defense' :rolleyes:). Remember, we cannot find the money to take care of our basic necessities here in America but the politicians have no problem rubber stamping billions of dollars for those same basic necessities around the world.

There is a simple reason why the SEC, FDA, Energy and Justice departments are failing us; the lawmakers have been bought and paid for. All those agencies amount to a dog and pony show mean't to give the illusion that our tax money is being spent to protect us. An illusion that the government is functioning.[/QUOTE]

There is no illusion that government is functioning anymore which isn't such a bad thing.

What I don't get is why you would support higher taxes when you understand the reality of big government.

Legislating money out isn't the answer, governing in a way that money influence doesn't have a pay back does.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4493948]I'm looking for compromise, Warfish. Not "100%" submission. Give me something that the GOP compromised on in the past 4 years with the President Obama?

The payroll tax cut/unemployment benefit extensions? Anything else?

Two years in, 13 of 108 executive appointments confirmed, during a serious recession and debt crises. The last three Presidents all had over 77% of their appointments confirmed by that same time.[/QUOTE]

You can claim that you, personally, would accept compromise (I have my doubts tbh).

But the people you vote for are no less strident in their utter lack of compromise than those of the "other team" you root against.

You made an argument that only "one side" does not wish to Govern, does not wish to compromise, does not work the middle, etc. I would deny that arguments validity in totality. Both sides, not one, have created the ineffecient, powerful, power hungry, wasteful leviathan of a Federal Govt. we have today. Both sides refuse to compromise. Both sides use the exact same tactics the exact same ways.

If you'd like example, I'll give two (two you, I'm goign to guess, will agree with your party on and provide a spirited defense for).

1. The Healthcare Mandate, which created a new power for the Federal Govt. to force individuals to buy private products from other individuals or face the penalty of Law. A precedent of massive power and potential.

2. The Decision of the Administration to selectively enforce the duly passed Laws on Congress as it sees fit, under any criteria it sees fit. Be it DoMA, Immigration Law, or others. The Administration no longer enforces the Law, it decides what Laws it wants to enforce and tosses the rest. A precident of massive power and potential.

3. A bonus, the current Administration has stuck with almost every policy the Bush Admin. was running that previous offended Liberal/Democrats?Progressives to no end. Every single one, including the Bush/Obama Tax cuts. But here, suddenly, it's not compromise....it's silence from the party base, because now it's your party doing it.

From my perspective, both sides care about one thing and one thign only, their own power. And they legislate and govern in whatever way will best increase their own powers. You would have to be the worlds biggest fool to not see the politics of power behind teh recent immigration move, the drive for universal healthcare and many other policies promoted by the left.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4494297]You can claim that you, personally, would accept compromise (I have my doubts tbh).

But the people you vote for are no less strident in their utter lack of compromise than those of the "other team" you root against.

You made an argument that only "one side" does not wish to Govern, does not wish to compromise, does not work the middle, etc. I would deny that arguments validity in totality. Both sides, not one, have created the ineffecient, powerful, power hungry, wasteful leviathan of a Federal Govt. we have today. Both sides refuse to compromise. Both sides use the exact same tactics the exact same ways.

If you'd like example, I'll give two (two you, I'm goign to guess, will agree with your party on and provide a spirited defense for).

1. The Healthcare Mandate, which created a new power for the Federal Govt. to force individuals to buy private products from other individuals or face the penalty of Law. A precedent of massive power and potential.

2. The Decision of the Administration to selectively enforce the duly passed Laws on Congress as it sees fit, under any criteria it sees fit. Be it DoMA, Immigration Law, or others. The Administration no longer enforces the Law, it decides what Laws it wants to enforce and tosses the rest. A precident of massive power and potential.

3. A bonus, the current Administration has stuck with almost every policy the Bush Admin. was running that previous offended Liberal/Democrats?Progressives to no end. Every single one, including the Bush/Obama Tax cuts. But here, suddenly, it's not compromise....it's silence from the party base, because now it's your party doing it.

From my perspective, both sides care about one thing and one thign only, their own power. And they legislate and govern in whatever way will best increase their own powers. You would have to be the worlds biggest fool to not see the politics of power behind teh recent immigration move, the drive for universal healthcare and many other policies promoted by the left.[/QUOTE]

I thought I asked for compromises the GOP made with the President, and instead you offer a bunch of policies/positions that you don't like from the current administration.

?

Jets Insider VIP
    Why is compromise so important? We have 2 very different ,competing, solutions to problems that seem to be pretty incompatible. Its now up to the electorate to decide the winner.

[QUOTE=quantum;4497119]Why is compromise so important? We have 2 very different ,competing, solutions to problems that seem to be pretty incompatible. Its now up to the electorate to decide the winner.[/QUOTE]

Didga evva notice,The press, tv "journalist" and the Dems ("We won, you lost, get over it". BHO) Always talk about "compromise" Only when they're on the ropes, Any other time they're shoving their liberal, commie agenda down our collective throats.

All League
    [QUOTE=quantum;4497119]Why is compromise so important? We have 2 very different ,competing, solutions to problems that seem to be pretty incompatible. Its now up to the electorate to decide the winner.[/QUOTE]

The Constitution was a compromise document. Our country doesn't work without it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4497548]The Constitution was a compromise document. Our country doesn't work without it.[/QUOTE]

And Obama refuses to work within it.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4495704]I thought I asked for compromises the GOP made with the President, and instead you offer a bunch of policies/positions that you don't like from the current administration.

?[/QUOTE]

The Republicans compromised on raising the debt ceiling for one thing. There was a compromise on extending the 99 weeks unemployment benefits in exchange for the extension of the Bush tax cuts. Also during the debt ceiling discussion there was supposedly a grand bargain compromise reached where they raised 800B in revenue for 3T in spending reductions before Obama asked for more revenues and blew up the deal. There have been many more compromises involving farm bills and transportation bills. Your premise is entirely based on fiction. It is uninformed, partisan, naive and absurd in its entirety.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4497577]The Republicans compromised on raising the debt ceiling for one thing. There was a compromise on extending the 99 weeks unemployment benefits in exchange for the extension of the Bush tax cuts. Also during the debt ceiling discussion there was supposedly a grand bargain compromise reached where they raised 800B in revenue for 3T in spending reductions before Obama asked for more revenues and blew up the deal. There have been many more compromises involving farm bills and transportation bills. Your premise is entirely based on fiction. It is uninformed, partisan, naive and absurd in its entirety.[/QUOTE]

The idea of raising taxes or cutting spending right now is insane. Both parties policies are going to run us into a cliff. I would happily replace Obama and the Democrats except for the fact that the only answer is Republicans.

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4497577]The Republicans compromised on raising the debt ceiling for one thing. There was a compromise on extending the 99 weeks unemployment benefits in exchange for the extension of the Bush tax cuts. Also during the debt ceiling discussion there was supposedly a grand bargain compromise reached where they raised 800B in revenue for 3T in spending reductions before Obama asked for more revenues and blew up the deal. There have been many more compromises involving farm bills and transportation bills. Your premise is entirely based on fiction. It is uninformed, partisan, naive and absurd in its entirety.[/QUOTE]

You mean this?

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/magazine/obama-vs-boehner-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?pagewanted=all[/url]

Yes, there is that one compromise wherein both parties f***ed the debt, with an extension of tax cuts AND unemployment benefits - both expenditures.

Compromising on raising the debt ceiling after we've been downgraded? Yea, that's not really a compromise, because raising the debt ceiling is a routine operation that the GOP politicized.

The DREAM Act that every lawmaker in your party loves now, was filibustered/clotured in the Senate twice in 2010 after it had a majority, but not a 60 vote majority.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4497634]You mean this?

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/magazine/obama-vs-boehner-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?pagewanted=all[/url]

Yes, there is that one compromise wherein both parties f***ed the debt, with an extension of tax cuts AND unemployment benefits - both expenditures.

Compromising on raising the debt ceiling after we've been downgraded? Yea, that's not really a compromise, because raising the debt ceiling is a routine operation that the GOP politicized.

The DREAM Act that every lawmaker in your party loves now, was filibustered/clotured in the Senate twice in 2010 after it had a majority, but not a 60 vote majority.[/QUOTE]

How is the extension of tax policy an expenditure?

All League
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4497700]How is the extension of tax policy an expenditure?[/QUOTE]

If a tax cut is temporary and not permanent, extending it beyond it's planned lifecycle is a cost to the government.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4497722]If a tax cut is temporary and not permanent, extending it beyond it's planned lifecycle is a cost to the government.[/QUOTE]

Very debatable point but even if you concede that the Democrats didn't compromise on letting the Bush tax cuts expire they don't support letting the Bush tax cuts expire. They only support letting them expire for the top bracket.

Moderates need a voice in politics (I refuse to believe that everyone in the country either loves Obama or thinks he's the worst thing to ever happen to the country). The way that liberals are portrayed now with all this Occupy nonsense has made me change how I describe my ideology from a "liberal" to a "non-conservative". I wish that liberal still meant open-minded and tolerant but now both sides are the exact opposite of that.
    Last edited by SizzleBear287; 06-21-2012 at 07:31 PM.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4497722]If a tax cut is temporary and not permanent, extending it beyond it's planned lifecycle is a cost to the government.[/QUOTE]

So it's the GOVERNMENTS money that people work for and they give you what they don't need! Got it! You should be taxed at 100% then.

All League
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4497901]So it's the GOVERNMENTS money that people work for and they give you what they don't need! Got it! You should be taxed at 100% then.[/QUOTE]

That's not the case at all.

If a tax cut is temporary, it is spending. If it is permanent, it is not.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4497941]That's not the case at all.

If a tax cut is temporary, it is spending. If it is permanent, it is not.[/QUOTE]

You're gonna have to do better than that.

If it's not the gov'ts money to begin with, then it can't be "spending" if they don't collect.

If anything, it's added revenue if/when the cut expires, not added spending if it's not collected . . .

[QUOTE=OCCH;4497975]You're gonna have to do better than that.

If it's not the gov'ts money to begin with, then it can't be "spending" if they don't collect.

If anything, it's added revenue if/when the cut expires, not added spending if it's not collected . . .[/QUOTE]

You printing your own money? ;)

All League
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4497975]You're gonna have to do better than that.

If anything, it's added revenue if/when the cut expires, not added spending if it's not collected . . .[/QUOTE]

If it is not permanent, it is more like a stimulus.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4497548]The Constitution was a compromise document. Our country doesn't work without it.[/QUOTE]

The problem with the far-right in this country is that they fail to understand how far to the right they are.