Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Republicans Most Conservative They've Been in 100 years

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4498117]The problem with the far-right in this country is that they fail to understand how far to the right they are.[/QUOTE]

Yet their nominee for President is a centerist that the left is trying to paint as someone from the far right.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4497634]You mean this?

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/magazine/obama-vs-boehner-who-killed-the-debt-deal.html?pagewanted=all[/url]

Yes, there is that one compromise wherein both parties f***ed the debt, with an extension of tax cuts AND unemployment benefits - both expenditures.

Compromising on raising the debt ceiling after we've been downgraded? Yea, that's not really a compromise, because raising the debt ceiling is a routine operation that the GOP politicized.

The DREAM Act that every lawmaker in your party loves now, was filibustered/clotured in the Senate twice in 2010 after it had a majority, but not a 60 vote majority.[/QUOTE]

No one loved the DREAM act. It was a monstrosity that was over complicated. It was never even brought to a vote because Democrats wouldn't support it en masse. I'm comfortable with a single provision that would cover kids that fall in the category that Obama outlined in his pandering declaration having a pathway put forward to stay in the country and eventually get legal status. Considering Rubio has been working on a piece of legislation to that effect your contention that "all of a sudden conservatives are open to this" is looney considering a prominent conservative had already announced a similar plan. Sadly since Obama has now made his move that bill is not likely to see the light of day until Obama is done in November. These larger issues need to be solved with a series of smaller bills. The issue with politics and politicians is they are often trying to push these "comprehensive plans" which always (both sides do this to a point) contain garbage that the other side despises. The same can be said for healthcare. 3000 pages of uncomprehendable jibbirish is not a plan. It is a disaster. Your claim that the debt ceiling standoff caused our rating to go down is so silly it isn't worthy of response.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4498171]Yet their nominee for President is a centerist that the left is trying to paint as someone from the far right.[/QUOTE]

What ever do you mean? Romney is a Flip Flopping RINO Right Wing Extremist, Vulture Capitalist liberal. At least that's what the Democrats are saying.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4498035]If it is not permanent, it is more like a stimulus.[/QUOTE]

You're just reinforcing what AcePepe said about you in the first place.

"All $$ is the govt's -- they decide what you get to keep, and when you get to keep it"

A tax cut should result in lowered spending, not robbing Peter to pay Paul.

[QUOTE=cr726;4498033]You printing your own money? ;)[/QUOTE]

Who do you think he is, The "Fed"? They print, we buy(+ interest, of course) they get $$$$$$$ we get fcked! Thanks DEMOCRAT W. Wilson!!!!!

All League
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4498271]You're just reinforcing what AcePepe said about you in the first place.

"All $$ is the govt's -- they decide what you get to keep, and when you get to keep it"

A tax cut should result in lowered spending, not robbing Peter to pay Paul.[/QUOTE]

It's a temporary tax cut. It was never meant to be forever - and we know that because written into the goddam tax cut was it's ending date, but now your side is demanding it be forever, during the biggest deficit crises in American history.

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498267]What ever do you mean? Romney is a Flip Flopping RINO Right Wing Extremist, Vulture Capitalist liberal. At least that's what the Democrats are saying.[/QUOTE]

He's so not an extremist. He's a centrist and probably a lot more moderate than he's been allowed to admit so far.

I am not worried for the country if Romney gets elected. I just would rather have Obama as President over Romney.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4498495]He's so not an extremist. He's a centrist and probably a lot more moderate than he's been allowed to admit so far.

I am not worried for the country if Romney gets elected. I just would rather have Obama as President over Romney.[/QUOTE]

Your post exemplifies exactly how Romney wins this thing. No one is buying this idea Romney is an "extremist". Your political views are Progressive Left based on your posts here. Even you aren't really put off by Romney. If it were Gingrich or Santorum running you would be fired up and seething against them. Other progressives will also vote for Obama but like you they won't be crushed if things go the other way. Now translate that over to the center and center left group of voters. The enthusiasm for Obama is non-existent outside of his core constituency of Blacks and GLBT activists, Latinos and environmentalists. Polls are showing independents breaking for Romney by huge margins. Most show Romney winning independents by 10-15 point margins. That will grow as the election draws near and undecideds break heavily in favor of the challenger (as always happens in incumbent presidential election years).

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498600]Your post exemplifies exactly how Romney wins this thing. No one is buying this idea Romney is an "extremist". Your political views are Progressive Left based on your posts here. Even you aren't really put off by Romney. If it were Gingrich or Santorum running you would be fired up and seething against them. Other progressives will also vote for Obama but like you they won't be crushed if things go the other way. Now translate that over to the center and center left group of voters. The enthusiasm for Obama is non-existent outside of his core constituency of Blacks and GLBT activists, Latinos and environmentalists. Polls are showing independents breaking for Romney by huge margins. Most show Romney winning independents by 10-15 point margins. That will grow as the election draws near and undecideds break heavily in favor of the challenger (as always happens in incumbent presidential election years).[/QUOTE]

The debates are going to be important.

[QUOTE=cr726;4498611]The debates are going to be important.[/QUOTE]

They always are. The advantage there however is with Romney as well IMO. Obama will be touted going in as a "great debater" with liberal pundits crowing about how he will wipe the floor with Romney. Debates are an expectations game and Obama is very overrated. Romney on the other hand had 20 some odd practice debates earlier this year. He got better with each one and eventually destroyed Gingrich (a self styled master(de)baitor) and Santorum.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498625]They always are. The advantage there however is with Romney as well IMO. Obama will be touted going in as a "great debater" with liberal pundits crowing about how he will wipe the floor with Romney. Debates are an expectations game and Obama is very overrated. Romney on the other hand had 20 some odd practice debates earlier this year. He got better with each one and eventually destroyed Gingrich (a self styled master(de)baitor) and Santorum.[/QUOTE]

Romney has zero personality and although I don't always agree, personality matters. The GOP debates were pathetic.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498625]They always are. The advantage there however is with Romney as well IMO. Obama will be touted going in as a "great debater" with liberal pundits crowing about how he will wipe the floor with Romney. Debates are an expectations game and Obama is very overrated. Romney on the other hand had 20 some odd practice debates earlier this year. He got better with each one and eventually destroyed Gingrich (a self styled master(de)baitor) and Santorum.[/QUOTE]

I thought Romney was best (mainstream) Republican debater during the primaries. I also felt the same way about Obama in 2007-2008.

The debates are going to be good in my opinion.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;4498631]Romney has zero personality and although I don't always agree, [B]personality matters[/B]. The GOP debates were pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Personality is huge. I've been saying this for months. if Romney has sharp, concise answers to foreign policy debate questions and hammers, hammers, hammers Obama on the economy he has a chance, imo. He should mention the hispanic unemployment rate every damn chance he gets.

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498600]Your post exemplifies exactly how Romney wins this thing. No one is buying this idea Romney is an "extremist". Your political views are Progressive Left based on your posts here. Even you aren't really put off by Romney. If it were Gingrich or Santorum running you would be fired up and seething against them. Other progressives will also vote for Obama but like you they won't be crushed if things go the other way. Now translate that over to the center and center left group of voters. The enthusiasm for Obama is non-existent outside of his core constituency of Blacks and GLBT activists, Latinos and environmentalists. Polls are showing independents breaking for Romney by huge margins. Most show Romney winning independents by 10-15 point margins. That will grow as the election draws near and undecideds break heavily in favor of the challenger (as always happens in incumbent presidential election years).[/QUOTE]

For the record, I'm not black, gay, latino or a serious environmentalist. I'm just a progressive.

I agree with you, Para and CR about the debates - they're going to be very interesting.

As for the independents, right now they're leaning Romney, but I don't think any of that is set is stone. Most independents are probably fiscally conservative but socially liberal - a lot like WinstonBiggs on this board. He'd actually be a good gauge of a independent voter thought. Gonna be interesting to see who he ultimately chooses as the lesser of two evils.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4498672]For the record, I'm not black, gay, latino or a serious environmentalist. I'm just a progressive.

I agree with you, Para and CR about the debates - they're going to be very interesting.

As for the independents, right now they're leaning Romney, but I don't think any of that is set is stone. Most independents are probably fiscally conservative but socially liberal - a lot like WinstonBiggs on this board. He'd actually be a good gauge of a independent voter thought. Gonna be interesting to see who he ultimately chooses as the lesser of two evils.[/QUOTE]

In the end it will come down to the economy. Romney is not a Social Conservative ideologue. Independents will vote with their wallet as they almost always do. Obama only real chance to pull this thing out would be a major move in the jobs numbers. It could happen but I see things getting worse not better on that front.

I thought Hillary in 2008 was much more centrist then Obama but I believed what I read about Obama back in 2008. I don't personally know a single Democrat that voted Obama in 08 that given the choice today wouldn't have changed their vote to Hillary.

All League
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498688]In the end it will come down to the economy. Romney is not a Social Conservative ideologue. Independents will vote with their wallet as they almost always do. Obama only real chance to pull this thing out would be a major move in the jobs numbers. It could happen but I see things getting worse not better on that front.

I thought Hillary in 2008 was much more centrist then Obama but I believed what I read about Obama back in 2008. I don't personally know a single Democrat that voted Obama in 08 that given the choice today wouldn't have changed their vote to Hillary.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your sentiment about Hillary, although maybe not for the same reason.

I would have rather had Hillary because I think she would've fought more, you know? Not because she's "more centrist" as you put it.

In my opinion, and I know you'll disagree, Obama has largely lost debates over issues where he should have won. He hasn't used the bully pulpit enough to dispel the bullsh*t coming from the other side. It seems like every time the GOP gets riled up, Obama backs down.

Don't think Hillary would've backed down.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4498700]I agree with your sentiment about Hillary, although maybe not for the same reason.

I would have rather had Hillary because I think she would've fought more, you know? Not because she's "more centrist" as you put it.

In my opinion, and I know you'll disagree, Obama has largely lost debates over issues where he should have won. He hasn't used the bully pulpit enough to dispel the bullsh*t coming from the other side. It seems like every time the GOP gets riled up, Obama backs down.

Don't think Hillary would've backed down.[/QUOTE]

Hillary would have understood how to get things done. You are right that Obama doesn't fight hard for stuff. He is aloof as a President. He gets annoyed at the concept of calling congressmen and Senators and dealing with their "minutia". Successful Presidents have done the opposite. Hillary is politically savvy enough to reach across the aisle, hit the phones, and adjust proposed legislation so that is palatable for the opposing side. Obama lacks the desire or political savvy to lead.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498688]In the end it will come down to the economy. Romney is not a Social Conservative ideologue. Independents will vote with their wallet as they almost always do. Obama only real chance to pull this thing out would be a major move in the jobs numbers. It could happen but I see things getting worse not better on that front.

I[B] thought Hillary in 2008 was much more centrist then Obama [/B]but I believed what I read about Obama back in 2008. I don't personally know a single Democrat that voted Obama in 08 that given the choice today wouldn't have changed their vote to Hillary.[/QUOTE]

I don't know chiefs, Billary's pandering to the NY Puerto Ricans by getting those murdering terrorists off was not different that Obama's immigration stunt, imo.

Rudderless country man.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4498742]I don't know chiefs, Billary's pandering to the NY Puerto Ricans by getting those murdering terrorists off was not different that Obama's immigration stunt, imo.

Rudderless country man.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I would have voted for her. Lets not go crazy now. I just think her Politics (and by her I mean Bill Clinton) are more pragmatic. She is smarter, more savvy and tougher then Obama. Obama's immigration stunt is just another political move designed to buy votes. The left wingedness of Obama is tied more toward his healthcare plan, his big spending fiscal ideals, class warfare, appointment of a cadre of progressive agenda Berkley Professor types to head up agencies, Green Jobs economic debacle, Cap and Trade etc.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498751]I'm not saying I would have voted for her. Lets not go crazy now. I just think her Politics (and by her I mean Bill Clinton) are more pragmatic. [B]She is smarter, more savvy and tougher then Obama.[/B] Obama's immigration stunt is just another political move designed to buy votes. The left wingedness of Obama is tied more toward his healthcare plan, his big spending fiscal ideals, class warfare, appointment of a cadre of progressive agenda Berkley Professor types to head up agencies, Green Jobs economic debacle, Cap and Trade etc.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I would have voted for her, the McCain-Milf ticket was unvoteable, imo.