Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a Rep VP pick that moves the needle at all?

All Pro

is there a Rep VP pick that moves the needle at all?

Not sure this will elicit much interest but I was wondering about, so I thought I'd start a thread about it.

Will Rubio bring a significant % of the Latino vote? Everything I read says that b/c he's Cuban, Mexicans ans south-central Americans will not be into him.

Mitch Daniels and Bob McDonnell? The snore twins.

Paul Ryan? Has the good looks and the name recognition but seems mostly flash and little subtance to me, just trying to make a name for himself, which he has to, I guess.

Ron Paul? My pick for Pres nominee, I'd love it, but I'm not sure he gets more than a statistically insignificant (at least in terms of winning the election) of independents and undecideds to vote Romney.

As the war-like sea creature likes to say, thoughts?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    When the Presidential pool is thin, it doesn't leave much for the Veep spot.

[B]Condoleezza Rice[/B][B]!!!![/B] she would crack the stranglehold the Democrats have on the African American voters which are disappointed with Obama especially some with his gay evolutionary stance.
    She also would obviously help with the woman voters.

If she's willing to be VP it would be great for the country.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=cedk;4493300][B]Condoleezza Rice[/B][B]!!!![/B] she would crack the stranglehold the Democrats have on the African American voters which are disappointed with Obama especially some with his gay evolutionary stance.

If she's willing to be VP it would be great for the country.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm a big fan of Condi, but she carries too much Bush baggage. That would be too easy for Obama's election committee.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=cedk;4493300][B]Condoleezza Rice[/B][B]!!!![/B] she would crack the stranglehold the Democrats have on the African American voters which are disappointed with Obama especially some with his gay evolutionary stance.

If she's willing to be VP it would be great for the country.[/QUOTE]

She's not.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4493308]Personally, I'm a big fan of Condi, but she carries too much Bush baggage. That would be too easy for Obama's election committee.[/QUOTE]

Bush baggage. lol.

[QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4493308]Personally, I'm a big fan of Condi, but she carries too much Bush baggage. That would be too easy for Obama's election committee.[/QUOTE]

I do not see baggage with the Iraq situation when the Democrats and Obama basically continued the same strategy.
    She just has to say I am happy that we establish some freedom in Iraq that may last for thousands of years. Operation Iraqi freedom is a success thanks in part to Obama continuing Bush's policies.

Also they would have to be sensitive or careful attacking a woman and a African women in public which could backfire. She is no Sarah Palin.

She just has to say over and over again I am happy to bring the freedom to vote today to the iraqi people and removing Saddam

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=cedk;4493323]I do not see baggage with the Iraq situation when the Democrats and Obama basically continued the same strategy.
    She just has to say I am happy that we establish some freedom in Iraq that may last for thousands of years. Operation Iraqi freedom is a success thanks in part to Obama continuing Bush's policies.

Also they would have to be sensitive or careful attacking a woman and a African women in public which could backfire. She is no Sarah Palin.

She just has to say over and over again I am happy to bring the freedom to vote today to the iraqi people and removing Saddam[/QUOTE]

She was too busy to listen the CIA and the intellegence they had that pointed to the 9/11 attack.

She would be a punching bag.

[QUOTE=Buster;4493332]She was too busy to listen the CIA and the intellegence they had that pointed to the 9/11 attack.

She would be a punching bag.[/QUOTE]

That only works for the basket cases and nut jobs that are out there.

She was never going to get there vote anyway!!!!

[B]GO CONDI!!!!!![/B]

All League

Agreed, she's very bright and likable, and is probably well suited for Vice President.

It's just the one glaring negative is that she served in the Bush administration, whether that's a fair or unfair criticism. In her case, I don't think it's all that fair - she's not, in my opinion, in the same group as Rumsfeld, Tenet, Cheney and Wolfowitz.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, but she is not interested.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cedk;4493323]I do not see baggage with the Iraq situation when the Democrats and Obama basically continued the same strategy.

[B]Also they would have to be sensitive or careful attacking a woman and a African women in public which could backfire. She is no Sarah Palin.
    [/B]
    She just has to say over and over again I am happy to bring the freedom to vote today to the iraqi people and removing Saddam[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting perspective. But she does carry the Bush admin taint (even at 42 typing "taint" makes me laugh).

Is she a needle mover though, even with blacks?

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4493361]Yes, but she is not interested.[/QUOTE]
    Damn you're right. I missed that.
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4493364]That's an interesting perspective. But she does carry the Bush admin taint (even at 42 typing "taint" makes me laugh).

Is she a needle mover though, even with blacks?[/QUOTE]

She would've been. I don't think her or Colin Powell ever wanted to subject themselves to the childish rhetoric or abuse that being a elected politician brings.
    Romney has to pick a minority or a woman that has experienced in foreign policy especially.
    Makes it a bit difficult.
    Vice Pres. pics tend to move the needle down and never up.
    Marc Rubio My guess now or Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal

Jets Insider VIP
    Veeps don't move the needle much at all anymore.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4493390]Veeps don't move the needle much at all anymore.[/QUOTE]

Not even the lovely julia louis-dreyfus? :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cedk;4493386]Damn you're right. I missed that.

She would've been. I don't think her or Colin Powell ever wanted to subject themselves to the childish rhetoric or abuse that being a elected politician brings.
    Romney has to pick a minority or a woman that has experienced in foreign policy especially.
    Makes it a bit difficult.
    Vice Pres. pics tend to move the needle down and never up.
    Marc Rubio My guess now or Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal[/QUOTE]

Most say Rubio that's the easy guess. I'd like him to pick someone like, Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina type. But your right, he needs a politician, in many ways a Biden type.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4493392]Not even the lovely julia louis-dreyfus? :D[/QUOTE]

Only when she is doing the Elaine dance.

I think choosing a woman is the best chance to move the needle somewhat. Susanna Martinez comes from a Mexican background and is a strong conservative. Rubio is fantastic and is one of the more eloquent orators in the GOP. Jindal is solid as well but not a game changer. Dark horse is Kelly Ayote of New Hampshire or Nikki Haley of South Carolina. Both rising stars in the party.

To me Romney needs to shore up his support with single women. That is not a group he is likely to win but if he gets the numbers up Obama is finished. As it stands the polls show Romney winning with men by 40-47 and losing to women 47-40. Married women are evenly split but single women favor Obama 53-35. That is the group that Romney needs to court.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4493582]I think choosing a woman is the best chance to move the needle somewhat. Susanna Martinez comes from a Mexican background and is a strong conservative. Rubio is fantastic and is one of the more eloquent orators in the GOP. Jindal is solid as well but not a game changer. Dark horse is Kelly Ayote of New Hampshire or Nikki Haley of South Carolina. Both rising stars in the party.

To me Romney needs to shore up his support with single women. That is not a group he is likely to win but if he gets the numbers up Obama is finished. As it stands the polls show Romney winning with men by 40-47 and losing to women 47-40. Married women are evenly split but single women favor Obama 53-35. That is the group that Romney needs to court.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Martinez she's been talked about too. Haley said no, but who knows.

All League
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4493394]Most say Rubio that's the easy guess. I'd like him to pick someone like, Meg Whitman or Carly Fiorina type. But your right, he needs a politician, in many ways a Biden type.[/QUOTE]

Romney doesn't need a business woman. They bring nothing to the table at all.