Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets right tackle Hunter hopes to shed goat label in 2012

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]It was the first play of Hunterís new job as starting right tackle of the New York jets[/quote]

[quote]A career backup before last season, he stepped in for the popular Damien Woody. Suddenly, he was no longer a spot starter or an extra lineman used a few plays a game. Now, he was expected to be consistent on every play Ė something he admits he wasnít.[/QUOTE]

The writer doesn't watch the Jets and/or didn't do his homework. Hunter started the last three games of the 2010 regular season and then the three playoff games. And he played well. I was not expecting him to play so poorly last season at all.

[QUOTE]ďIím telling you, this guy has skills,Ē DeGuglielmo said. ďIf you find one out there better than that playing that position, bring him to me.Ē[/QUOTE]

What a delusional moron. Nothing wrong with the first part, and nothing wrong with believing in your players, but why proclaim him as the best RT in the entire league??

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4493914]Sanchez has little confidence with Hunter protecting his strong side. And rightfully so. Hunter is not a starter in this league.
    Jets need to pick up a veteran free agent RT
    Vernon Carey maybe? He knows the system already.[/QUOTE]

Max Starks might be a worth a look. He's had some injury issues but used to be a really good player. If he's healthy the Jets would be foolish not to bring him in :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4493931]The writer doesn't watch the Jets and/or didn't do his homework. Hunter started the last three games of the 2010 regular season and then the three playoff games. [/QUOTE]
    I think he was just saying that 2011 was the first time Hunter was pronounced as the starting RT. He basically got the job by default in 2010.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4493937]I think he was just saying that 2011 was the first time Hunter was pronounced as the starting RT. He basically got the job by default in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Huh, OK. I still think he should've mentioned those 6 games, and that Hunter did play pretty well (hard to believe after his trainwreck 2011 season).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4493931]The writer doesn't watch the Jets and/or didn't do his homework. Hunter started the last three games of the 2010 regular season and then the three playoff games. And he played well. I was not expecting him to play so poorly last season at all.

What a delusional moron. Nothing wrong with the first part, and nothing wrong with believing in your players, but why proclaim him as the best RT in the entire league??[/QUOTE]

I don't think he was stating Hunter is the best RT in football. I'd be willing to bet that his point was that there wasn't anything better on the street that the team could bring in to take the job.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4493912]Unfortunately, since we don't know him, all we can go on is his words.

We don't know what was in his mind.

How can anyone not dwell on the past in June of 2012?

That's all we have to go on. The rest is up to him to prove.

He could have been a little more humble IMO and not question the fans right to be critical. It didn't come off right.[/QUOTE]

He already said it got to him when he read how everyone was trashing him all season long, barely acknowledging when he did anything right. You want to say he should have thicker skin? Fine, but he apparently doesn't.

Personally, I'm GLAD he doesn't care what "dwellers" think. All I want is for him to play at a consistent level, and whatever mindset helps him do that is fine with me.

You want to say you have "objective concerns"? Totally understandable, and he's admitted as much. But how many fans have already written him off? Called him the worst RT in the history of the NFL? Said they'd rather have the local high school RT play the position than him? Given him the initials "WFH"?

Again, I'm GLAD he shuts those people out -- wish I could find a way to do it . . .

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4493944]He already said it got to him when he read how everyone was trashing him all season long, barely acknowledging when he did anything right. You want to say he should have thicker skin? Fine, but he apparently doesn't.

Personally, I'm GLAD he doesn't care what "dwellers" think. All I want is for him to play at a consistent level, and whatever mindset helps him do that is fine with me.

You want to say you have "objective concerns"? Totally understandable, and he's admitted as much. But how many fans have already written him off? Called him the worst RT in the history of the NFL? Said they'd rather have the local high school RT play the position than him? Given him the initials "WFH"?

Again, I'm GLAD he shuts those people out -- wish I could find a way to do it . . .[/QUOTE]

You simply shouldn't say publicly that the fans of your team "have a problem" for being critical when they have every reason to be so.

I've personally never read where anyone said they'd rather have a HS player.

A player has to earn respect. Not expect it. And you certainly aren't going to get the respect of your fans when you are suggesting that they, and not you, have a problem. So far he hasn't earned it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if Hunter performs at a decent level this season, he still needs to be replaced next year.

RT and OLB have to be our top priorities next offseason.

Unless Sanchez sh*ts the bed. If that ends up being the case then QB trumps all.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 06-17-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4493931]
    What a delusional moron. Nothing wrong with the first part, and nothing wrong with believing in your players, but why proclaim him as the best RT in the entire league??[/QUOTE]

This guys ran his mouth that one day. He made some bad comments about Callahan as well. I think someone in the FO spoke to him b.c since then, we haven't heard much from him.

But I agree, it was a stupid thing to say. And like Rex, he put a target on his players.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4493939]Huh, OK. I still think he should've mentioned those 6 games, and that Hunter did play pretty well (hard to believe after his trainwreck 2011 season).[/QUOTE]

He did. But I think teams then had time after that to "go to school" on him and exploit his weaknesses.

We'll see if Sparano and the OL coach with the big mouth can help him improve. If not, it's time to closely monitor the camp cuts.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4493943]I don't think he was stating Hunter is the best RT in football. I'd be willing to bet that his point was that there wasn't anything better on the street that the team could bring in to take the job.[/QUOTE]

It didn't come off that way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4493957][B]He did. But I think teams then had time after that to "go to school" on him and exploit his weaknesses[/B].

[B]We'll see if Sparano and the OL coach with the big mouth can help him improve. If not, it's time to closely monitor the camp cuts[/B].[/QUOTE]

I am very high on Sparano, and while he may not be a miracle worker, improving technique with Hunter actually seems believable.

I dont think he was worth the 3 million he was paid this offseason, but i just feel bad for the guy after last season. He does have heart....as a fan, i respect that.

This has no bearing on his value to the team, but at least he showed passion and disappointment (in himself) when he having a bad, or [I]really[/I] bad game.

Wayne, please give it your all, and make us proud big fella.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you really a fan of the Jets? I just cannot see it.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4493775]Best case scenario, Hunter and Vlad headbutt each other in training camp, miss some time and the Jets are forced to try someone else at RT and that player does well.

LOL @ Hunter's semi-criticism of the fans. Message to Hunter: YOU SUCK. SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND BLOCK. Every time he wants to talk, he should just put on the tape of Miller embarrassing him. Oh wait . . . that was b.c he was lifting his leg too high :rolleyes:

And Googs has written a lot of checks with his mouth. Talking up Hunter and knocking "the best OL coach in the NFL", Callahan.

Which begs the question, If Callahan was the best OL coach in the NFL, then shouldn't we expect a decrease in performance? Or is Googs now the best OL coach in the NFL? Rex really has a knack for finding the best coaches for every position.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    that first sack by ware set the tone for the fans and hunter's psyche. add that to witless schitless and it's really a wonder the jets were able to win 8 games. not saying he's the best rt in the game but he's probably on par with woody (during his last season and before the injury) and quite a few others. give him some help for the premier pass rushers and he'll be more than fine. and let's not forget that ferguson had his issues too last season.

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4493699]Reposting this from another thread as I hadn't seen this one yet:

I'm not defending Hunter's screw ups in 2011, but I am rebelling against the "great or sucks" mentality. Hunter is in a no-win situation with the fans this year.... When he's good he'll be ignored, while the doomsayers will be waiting to pounce when, inevitibly, someone gets by him. On top of that he will have double the pressure of a normal RT as teams will target him like Rob Ryan and others did last year.

He has the talent and the mentality to improve, and lots of evidence he can do it. Unlike Ducasse who just doesn't seem to have the brain power. I'm rooting for the guy, and trusting that the coaches see things the naysayers don't.

[URL="http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/11/green-lantern-its-time-for-jets-fans-to-cut-wayne-hunter-some-slack/"]http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...er-some-slack/[/URL]
    "Itís easy to treat Hunter like a pin cushion because he was that bad in 2011, but the Jets as a whole were pretty terrible. To single him out as the whipping boy [URL="http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/02/08/green-lantern-jets-need-an-identity-that-lasts-test-of-time-not-peyton-manning/"]was always and remains a failure to grasp the bigger picture[/URL]."

"What people tend to forget about Hunter is despite him never being a starter during his five NFL seasons prior to 2010, he stepped into precisely that role during the season that ended with the Jets losing for the second consecutive year in the AFC Championship game and was every bit as good as any of the teamís other offensive lineman, some of whom have become perennial Pro Bowlers."

"[B]The old adage about linemen is very true: when you donít hear about them they are doing their jobs.[/B] Hunter quietly did his job and then some two seasons ago and the only time you really heard about him was in the title game loss to Pittsburgh, which, to be fair, featured a first-half breakdown by the entire team, not just Hunter"

[URL]http://www.fbgratings.com/members/profile.php?pyid=880[/URL]
    [B]"Oct 24 2011[/B] - RT [SIZE=2][B]Wayne Hunter[/B] struggled in the first two games of the season, but has been playing well ever since. His improvement is a big part of the Jets' improved running game. The Jets like to run behind right guard Brandon Moore.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][B]Oct 13 2011[/B] - RT [B]Wayne Hunter[/B] played poorly in the first two games of the season, but has played much better since. Hunter, a career backup, started on opening day for the first time in 2011 after the retirement of former Jet Damien Woody."[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2011/11/4051943/high-school-scrapper-and-late-blooming-pro-wayne-hunter-begins-put-it-a"][SIZE=2]http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/null/2011/11/4051943/high-school-scrapper-and-late-blooming-pro-wayne-hunter-begins-put-it-a[/SIZE][/URL]
    "But quietly, Hunter shook off his poor start. According to Pro Football Focus, each of the four games he played going into Sunday since those ghastly first three were above average. He even had his redemption in a nationally televised game when he stonewalled the Dolphins' Pro Bowler Cameron Wake in one-on-one protection, earning praise from the television analysts."

" If you watched Hunter carefully, though, you would have seen that he executed his job an overwhelmingly high percentage of the time and played outstandingly, both in run-blocking and pass-protection. He was part of a Jets effort that controlled the line of scrimmage so thoroughly that itís surprising the Jets didnít blow the game open much earlier than they did."[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shevys;4493984]Are you really a fan of the Jets? I just cannot see it.[/QUOTE]

If you are referring to this: [quote]Best case scenario, Hunter and Vlad headbutt each other in training camp, miss some time and the Jets are forced to try someone else at RT and that player does well.[/quote]

That was said with tongue in cheek. I don't wish for anyone to get hurt. I might wish that that retire immediately and join the peace core. :D

But I stand by all criticism of Hunter. He sucks. If you think that makes me a bad fan than that is OK with me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4494149]not saying he's the best rt in the game [B]but he's probably on par with woody (during his last season and before the injury)[/B] and quite a few others. give him some help for the premier pass rushers and he'll be more than fine. and let's not forget that ferguson had his issues too last season.[/QUOTE]

Seriously?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4493909]"Dwelling on the past" does not simply mean being aware of it -- it implies not being able to let it go, and letting it affect your mindset going forward. He said he's "hoping people get on the bandwagon" -- I'm pretty sure that means he expects to do well, but is afraid some fans just won't let go of what they saw (or at least think they saw) last year.

In the end, it doesn't matter what he meant. I believe there ARE fans who will always look down on him, regardless of what he does going forward. And as fans, they have that right. But I also don't see the benefit in him worrying about them. He's much better off focusing on the fan who simply wants to see him do well, and is willing to root for him to do so . . .[/QUOTE]
    While he has shown glimpses he really needs to be more consistent and aggressive early in the game. Jets simply can't go through more of the same, or Mark will get maimed out there. Getting rid of Shoddy will really help as well. Jets can't out the players in positions of weakness (ie out on an island) for extended periods, bein predictable and hope for miracles against elite passrushers and maulers like Ngata.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4493955]Even if Hunter performs at a decent level this season, he still needs to be replaced next year.

RT and OLB have to be our top priorities next offseason.

Unless Sanchez sh*ts the bed. If that ends up being the case then QB trumps all.[/QUOTE]

Sanchez will be fine and if he fails then the guy Woody clearly wants is Teabag.

Jets are going to have a spending spree next season similar to 2008. Slauson and Hunter are both gone after this season - only way I can see either one of them coming back is if they are willing to take paycuts to be backups because that's what they really are.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4494974] Slauson and Hunter are both gone after this season -.[/QUOTE]

... hunter isn't even in the same state as slauson ...

... i do believe if a RT pops up as another teams TC cut hunter will ride the pine again ... don't have the cap #'s & potential savings to releasing him ... but believe keeping him on the team in a reserve role would be the better decision ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4494979]... hunter isn't even in the same state as slauson ...

... i do believe if a RT pops up as another teams TC cut hunter will ride the pine again ... don't have the cap #'s & potential savings to releasing him ... but believe keeping him on the team in a reserve role would be the better decision ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Slauson and Hunter are both mediocre stop gaps. Hunter gets killed b/c he has to play on an island out there in pass protection as a Right Tackle matched up against the league's best pass rushers like Ware.

Slauson is almost as bad as Hunter but he gets away with it because both he and Moore get helped out by Mangold and he almost never matches up against a good pass rusher unless it's someone like Ngata and then he gets destroyed. The only help Hunter got last season was Keller (can't block) and Mulligan (can't block + worthless) with maybe the occasional chip block coming LT.

Not defending Hunter he blows but to act like Slauson is not good either and is FA after next season. Jets could really stand to upgrade at both LG and RT next season.