Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL.com: Santonio Holmes, Jets WRs like new offense

NFL.com: Santonio Holmes, Jets WRs like new offense

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829e6c49/article/santonio-holmes-jets-wrs-like-new-offense?module=HP11_content_stream[/url]

With the arrival of offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, and backup quarterback Tim Tebow, a lot has been made of the New York Jets offense returning to its "Ground and Pound" roots in 2012. While that will likely be the case, the team's wide receivers are learning that the new offense can be fun for them, too, Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger reported Sunday.

The fun comes from Mark Sanchez and the receivers having the freedom to adjust their routes based on what coverage they see from the defense.

"It allows us to have a little bit more fun," Santonio Holmes said. "And to know when you mess up, it's on us or the quarterback, because of a certain sight or certain be-where-you-are-supposed-to-be-at type deal."

[B]With an offseason shortened by the new collective bargaining agreement, Jets quarterbacks and receivers have had a limited amount of time to learn Sparano's system and get on the same page. That could help explain the low completion percentages during the OTAs and minicamp[/B]. Jets receivers and quarterbacks will get a little more work in before training camp when Sanchez brings them together for another "Jets West" passing camp in Southern California.

"There is a lot of responsibility, but with all that responsibility comes a lot of potential," Sanchez said of the new offense. "When it works, everybody feels good and it looks good. It looks fluid, it looks effortless, it just looks easy, and we have the ability to do that."

[QUOTE=jxc;4493799][url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829e6c49/article/santonio-holmes-jets-wrs-like-new-offense?module=HP11_content_stream[/url]

With the arrival of offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, and backup quarterback Tim Tebow, a lot has been made of the New York Jets offense returning to its "Ground and Pound" roots in 2012. While that will likely be the case, the team's wide receivers are learning that the new offense can be fun for them, too, Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger reported Sunday.

The fun comes from Mark Sanchez and the receivers having the freedom to adjust their routes based on what coverage they see from the defense.

"It allows us to have a little bit more fun," Santonio Holmes said. "And to know when you mess up, it's on us or the quarterback, because of a certain sight or certain be-where-you-are-supposed-to-be-at type deal."

[B]With an offseason shortened by the new collective bargaining agreement, Jets quarterbacks and receivers have had a limited amount of time to learn Sparano's system and get on the same page. That could help explain the low completion percentages during the OTAs and minicamp[/B]. Jets receivers and quarterbacks will get a little more work in before training camp when Sanchez brings them together for another "Jets West" passing camp in Southern California.

"There is a lot of responsibility, but with all that responsibility comes a lot of potential," Sanchez said of the new offense. "When it works, everybody feels good and it looks good. It looks fluid, it looks effortless, it just looks easy, and we have the ability to do that."[/QUOTE]
    Sounds good, hopefully it will work

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jxc;4493799].

[B]With an offseason shortened by the new collective bargaining agreement, Jets quarterbacks and receivers have had a limited amount of time to learn Sparano's system and get on the same page. That could help explain the low completion percentages during the OTAs and minicamp[/B]. [/QUOTE]
    :confused: Which off-season is the writer referring to?

Makes me wonder how the offense the last few years worked.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4493808]:confused: Which off-season is the writer referring to?[/QUOTE]

Lol, that's just terribly written.

Jets Insider VIP
    Little by little we're getting the "secrets" that were revealed at the charity dinner.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=John_0515;4493926]Makes me wonder how the offense the last few years worked.[/QUOTE]

Like a square peg in a round hole. Luck and skill are the two most important things in football. Schotty ran out of luck last season and the lack of skill got exposed. Rex & Mike found a new compliment in Sparano, now all the team needs is luck in coming together to win. (-;

[QUOTE=Limolady;4494027]Like a square peg in a round hole. Luck and skill are the two most important things in football. Schotty ran out of luck last season and the lack of skill got exposed. Rex & Mike found a new compliment in Sparano, now all the team needs is luck in coming together to win. (-;[/QUOTE]

has our SKILL level improved to a point where we only need luck????;)

[QUOTE=Jordy;4494014]Little by little we're getting the "secrets" that were revealed at the charity dinner.[/QUOTE]

Good post, agreed. I was thinking the same thing reading this.

I defended Schotty a lot, and to some degree, I still think he got a bit of a raw deal by fans, but the man really didn't do a good job last year at all.

I'm still trying to figure out if he was influenced at all by Ryan, but I think Ryan let him run the offense how he wanted to.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4493808]:confused: Which off-season is the writer referring to?[/QUOTE]

Under the new CBA players and coaches can't start working together until May. Under the old one they met as early as March.
    Last edited by fullblast; 06-17-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4494033]Good post, agreed. I was thinking the same thing reading this.

I defended Schotty a lot, and to some degree, I still think he got a bit of a raw deal by fans, but the man really didn't do a good job last year at all.

I'm still trying to figure out if he was influenced at all by Ryan, but I think Ryan let him run the offense how he wanted to.[/QUOTE]
    I honestly don't think Ryan had [U]anything[/U] to do with the offense last year, other than making the final decisions on attempting 4th down conversions or whether to try a FG or punt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4494029]has our SKILL level improved to a point where we only need luck????;)[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. My only concern is & always has been who is the #2 QB and back up Center? Those are the two most important spots on the roster & I'm counting on Sparano to agree with me.

[QUOTE=Limolady;4494040]Absolutely. My only concern is & always has been who is the #2 QB and back up Center? Those are the two most important spots on the roster & I'm counting on Sparano to agree with me.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree....

Weaker O line including back ups of course.
    Lack of break away RB
    Until and unless Hill shows up, depth at WR.

I like Tebow as our number 2 .

Everyone loves everyone and everything in June. Everyone has Super Bowl aspirations. I'll reserve judgement until September, especially with Holmes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=124;4494048]Everyone loves everyone and everything in June. Everyone has Super Bowl aspirations. I'll reserve judgement until September, especially with Holmes.[/QUOTE]
    I'm guessing you love Tebow?

[QUOTE=124;4494048]Everyone loves everyone and everything in June. Everyone has Super Bowl aspirations. I'll reserve judgement until September, especially with Holmes.[/QUOTE]

I don't think we ever read player comments about Schotty that we are reading about Sparano, off-season or not, and that say's a lot.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 06-17-2012 at 10:29 PM.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4494033]Good post, agreed. I was thinking the same thing reading this.

I'm still trying to figure out if he was influenced at all by Ryan, but I think Ryan let him run the offense how he wanted to.[/QUOTE]

70 drop backs against the ferocious pass rush of the NY Giants? A HS OC would not do something like that

[QUOTE=Jordy;4494052]I'm guessing you love Tebow?[/QUOTE]

I'm excited.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4494046]Not sure I agree....

Weaker O line including back ups of course.
    Lack of break away RB
    Until and unless Hill shows up, depth at WR.

I like Tebow as our number 2 .[/QUOTE]

Tebow seems like the obvious choice, but isn't the plan to use Tebow as a starter in an offense/special team player role? And what about Center? Last season was a joke with Colin Baxter.
    Last edited by Limolady; 06-17-2012 at 10:37 PM.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4494053]I don't think we ever read player comments about Schotty that we are reading about Sparano, off-season or not, and that say's a lot.[/QUOTE]

Probably in 2006.