Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL.com: Santonio Holmes, Jets WRs like new offense

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4494054]70 drop backs against the ferocious pass rush of the NY Giants? A HS OC would not do something like that[/QUOTE]

And neither did the Jets. Either way a HS OC or the worst NFL OC doesn't let the other team dictate what their team does. If they want to throw, or if its your strength, you do it. The ridiculousness of it had nothing to do with the Giants D, it was all about this team isn't built to throw 1st, never mind almost 60 times.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-17-2012 at 11:14 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4494033]Good post, agreed. I was thinking the same thing reading this.

I defended Schotty a lot, and to some degree, I still think he got a bit of a raw deal by fans, but the man really didn't do a good job last year at all.

I'm still trying to figure out if he was influenced at all by Ryan, but I think Ryan let him run the offense how he wanted to.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed. Good riddance. The guy was just so inflexible and incompetent

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4494053]I don't think we ever read player comments about Schotty that we are reading about Sparano, off-season or not, and that say's a lot.[/QUOTE]

ha ha, I was just thinking that. Never heard how effortless , fun, and fluid the offense was. Either this is a nice PR stunt or Schotty's offense was too much algebra. Schotty obviously did too much overthinking and had way too many plays. One thing I like about Sparano is he said he believes if you run 5 plays really good you can just tweak those plays and run them a bunch of times. He said "if they can't stop something you're doing why do something different, keep doing it until they stop it" ... Schotty thought too much. Rather than go to Keller 2 plays in a row cause they can't stop it he went from there and tried to work the outside after. Man if another team can't stop TE's inside or stop slot receivers running outs or something then keep hitting them with it until they get it. Sometimes teams never get it. I seen Jaws breaking down film from the PAckers last year and they ran the same pass play 4 straight times they just flipped the play from which side it was being run to. Basically the theory of "keep it going until they get it" ... I think aside from running the ball and being physical this will be Sparano's identity.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4494083]And neither did the Jets. Either way a HS OC or the worst NFL OC doesn't let the other team dictate what their team does. If they want to throw, or if its your strength, you do it. The ridiculousness of it had nothing to do with the Giants D, it was all about this team isn't built to throw 1st, never mind almost 60 times.[/QUOTE]
    Sanchez dropped back at least 65 times.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well apparently they will have options based on the coverage, so running the same play will look different depending on how the defense adjusts. Hard to believe we didn't have this before. It will also have different options based on the presnap read that they should be able to do now that they'll have time to do it. So the plays will be complicated, but simple, and we will run relatively few plays, but know them very well, and they will be able to practice them until the qb and wr know exactly what each other will do in every situation. That is how you avoid staring down a receiver, and the opposite is what "forces" you to. Can't wait for the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4494168]Well apparently they will have options based on the coverage, so running the same play will look different depending on how the defense adjusts. [B]Hard to believe we didn't have this before.[/B] It will also have different options based on the presnap read that they should be able to do now that they'll have time to do it. So the plays will be complicated, but simple, and we will run relatively few plays, but know them very well, and they will be able to practice them until the qb and wr know exactly what each other will do in every situation. That is how you avoid staring down a receiver, and the opposite is what "forces" you to. Can't wait for the season.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post and explains why Sanchez was "forced" to stare down the WR an inordinate amount of times in any given game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be curious to know where the Jets ranked in each of the last 3 years in terms of delay of game penalties and burning timeouts to prevent a delay of game penalty.

I'd imagine we were pretty high in that category.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4494040]Absolutely. My only concern is & always has been who is the #2 QB and back up Center? Those are the two most important spots on the roster & I'm counting on Sparano to agree with me.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, if that counts for anything:cool:

I think this offense is better then most think. Oline depth is always a concern for any team, and ours is no different. We have Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Turner, and might still add a vet. I think that is pretty good.
    We have Tebow and Sanchez....I'm happy with that.

But, yes....our back center issue, as we saw last year, needs to be on in the minds of all.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4494277]I agree with you, if that counts for anything:cool:

I think this offense is better then most think. Oline depth is always a concern for any team, and ours is no different. We have Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Turner, and might still add a vet. I think that is pretty good.

But, yes....our back center issue, as we saw last year, needs to be on in the minds of all.[/QUOTE]
    I think the RB situation will become an issue as the season progresses.

LT's 3rd down abilities and his leadership (the end of season crap notwithstanding) will be sorely missed IMO.

McKnight is not in the same league IMO.

Shonn Greene is not a feature #1 NFL back IMO.

Bilal Powell is hot garbage IMO (hope he can prove me wrong).

It remains to be seen what Gannaway can do.

In short, I see the Jets bringing in a vet before the season starts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4494285]I think the RB situation will become an issue as the season progresses.

McKnight is not in the same league IMO.

Shonn Greene is not a feature #1 NFL back IMO.

Bilal Powell is hot garbage IMO (hope he can prove me wrong).

It remains to be seen what Gannaway can do.

[/QUOTE]

McKnight, when given the opportunity, has played well.
    Greene doesn't need to be a feature back with 4 on the roster.
    We said McKnight was hot garbage, and he proved us wrong
    You are right....we have no idea what Gannaway is like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like us to give Ryan Grant a look. I'm mostly worried about blitz pick ups. If Tebow can pick up a blitz, and catch, he'd be perfect.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4494422]I'd like us to give Ryan Grant a look. I'm mostly worried about blitz pick ups. If Tebow can pick up a blitz, and catch, he'd be perfect.[/QUOTE]
    Is his ankle healthy?

If so, I'd be on board with this. Like I said, I see the Jets signing a vet RB this summer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4494161]Sanchez dropped back at least 65 times.[/QUOTE]

The truth is even if we win that game that was a stupid game plan!!!!:eek:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4494426]The truth is even if we win that game that was a stupid game plan!!!!:eek:[/QUOTE]
    Enormously stupid. Beyond stupid. So glad that stupidity is in St. Louis now.

The only saving grace for Shoddy is that Sam Bradford is a much more talented QB than Sanchez and can save Shoddy's bacon a lot more easily.

But we'll see. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4494277]I agree with you, if that counts for anything:cool:

But, yes....our back center issue, as we saw last year, needs to be on in the minds of all.[/QUOTE]

We always agree Canada Steve & thank you for being an elite member of the 1%er Club. ;)

The 2012 offense is definitely better than most think. Too much emphasis is being put on the WR corps in a ground & pound offense. Sparano has to be aware that we need fresh beef on the O line. Mangold, Moore, D'Brick, Slauson, Hunter, Kroul and Ducasse should all have questions marks next to their names on the OC's short list. And I wonder how the other Robert Griffin is going to pan out as the NYJ lone OL draft pick too?