Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Braylon Edwards reportedly won't reunite with Jets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Braylon Edwards reportedly won't reunite with Jets

oh well...

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829ebfa0/article/braylon-edwards-reportedly-wont-reunite-with-jets[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Th End Comes Silently for The Braylon Edwards Return....

Here is the last round up on this story I think....

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_won_call_braylon_lDtyGp2i24s3vOcXGgnVtL[/url]

It’s time for Jets fans to forget about a Braylon Edwards sequel.

The Jets have ruled out bringing back the wide receiver, The Post has learned. The team is happy with the group of receivers it has, led by Santonio Holmes, rookie Stephen Hill, Chaz Schilens and Jeremy Kerley.

Speculation has swirled since February the Jets would sign Edwards, who spent part of 2009 and all of 2010 with the team.

The Jets allowed Edwards to leave before last season as a free agent. He signed with the 49ers, but played in just nine games as he battled knee and shoulder injuries, with 15 catches for 181 yards. The 49ers waived Edwards before the team’s final regular season game.

NOT INTERESTED: Wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who played for the 49ers last season, will not be returning to the Jets in 2012.

The 29-year-old remains popular with Jets fans after leading the team with 904 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in 2010. Edwards, acquired in a 2009 trade with the Browns, had some great moments on the field for the Jets, but he also will be remembered for a DWI arrest in 2010.

The Jets opted to sign Santonio Holmes to a five-year, $45 million contract before last season instead of bringing back Edwards when both were free agents.

Questions have persisted if the Jets would bring Edwards back this year, but they have decided against it.

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_won_call_braylon_lDtyGp2i24s3vOcXGgnVtL#ixzz1y9yhMbko[/url]

Well there you have it Edwards fans. He won't be comming back and for the life of me, [B]absent clear injury[/B], I still don't know why!!!

Man I wanted him back...:(
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 06-18-2012 at 02:00 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets are hoping they drafted a better, younger, faster, version of Bray in Stephen Hill. He would prob delay hill's development and his past legal and recent injury history is not helping him either. I was a big fan too, but time to move on.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Braylon and he had a good rapport with Sanchez, but Stephen Hill is a beast and should be just as good, if not better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get off the ledge, Vin. It'll be OK. ;)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4494321]I like Braylon and he had a good rapport with Sanchez, but Stephen Hill is a beast [B][U]and should be just as good, if not better[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]

What do you base that on?

OTA's and mini-camp?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would have been nice if Costello would have given us a source for his information...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is no place on this team for an aging, injured receiver. Stephen Hill needs to learn the position. Get him on the field.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4494332]What do you base that on?

OTA's and mini-camp?[/QUOTE]

he's got the size of Braylon with better speed, and considerably younger. I think he'll be fine.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [I]The Jets are essentially choosing Schilens over Edwards. In four seasons with the Raiders, Schilens struggled to stay healthy and never gained more than 400 yards receiving. And yet the Jets would rather have him than bring back Edwards.[/I]

Interesting take.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4494334]There is no place on this team for an aging, injured receiver. Stephen Hill needs to learn the position. Get him on the field.[/QUOTE]
    If the guy is healthy and can still fly, his age (29) is not relavent on a 1 or 2 year deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4494335]he's got the size of Braylon with better speed, and considerably younger. I think he'll be fine.[/QUOTE]
    What about the experience part though?

Edwards would be a good guy for Hill to watch everyday and emulate the good parts of Edwards' game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Edwards with one leg over Chaz Schilens

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;4494344]I would take Edwards with one leg over Chaz Schilens[/QUOTE]

Then you're obviously a fan of the player, not the team. By all accounts, Chaz is having a very solid offseason and, if he can stay healthy, he'd likely match or exceed the production of a one-legged Edwards.

There's a reason why 31 other teams have passed on Braylon, too. He's damaged goods, so I'd rather roll with what we've got -- a very, very promising group of WRs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now. Edwards>Hill.

But if Hill is going to become the WR the Jets think he can be, he needs all the reps and game experience he can get. Edwards would take away some of that from him.

I would rather see Hill get those balls and have him learn and develop.

BTW, teams aren't passing on Edwards the player, they are passing on Edwards the person. I still think he can play at a high level.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4494304]Here is the last round up on this story I think....

[URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_won_call_braylon_lDtyGp2i24s3vOcXGgnVtL[/URL]

[B]It’s time for Jets fans to forget about a Braylon Edwards sequel.

[/B] Well there you have it Edwards fans. He won't be comming back and for the life of me, absent clear injury,[B] I still don't know why!!![/B]

Man I wanted him back...:([/QUOTE]

1) Don't count on it....There will still be daily / weekly threads..
    2) from a positional standpoint he doesn't fit....

1 - Like it or not the Jets are committed to Holmes as 1 starter..
    2 - Reportedly it's Hill's job to lose the as the other WR..
    3 - Kerley is the perfect #3 / slot WR

So you are looking a BE as the #4...Does he want to be a #4? Would the Jets want him on the roster as a #4 (he can't play STs) either.

I haven't seen it reported but I wonder if the Jets plan to use Holmes as the X or Z? The X is usually the #1 WR - the tall, fast guy like Fitz, CJohnson, Moss (in his prime)..Easier routes to run

The Z is usually shorter and more physical, needed more as a blocker since they typically line up on the same side as a the TE, sent in motion more than the X, change his route based on the route of the other WRs and typically runs more of the intermediate routes...

With Hill's limited passing game experience, size and speed he seems more suited as the X...Can Holmes handle the blocking needed out of the Z...Although he seems perfect for the Z otherwise.
    Last edited by C Mart; 06-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4494371]With Hill's limited passing game experience, size and speed he seems more suited as the X...[B]Can Holmes handle the blocking need out of the Z[/B]...Although he seems perfect for the Z otherwise.[/QUOTE]
    I think the answer to that is probably not.

Holmes is not a good blocker. Nor does he have the size to overcompensate for lack of good blocking technique. Is he terrible? No. But he's no Edwards when it comes to blocking.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4494304]Well there you have it Edwards fans. He won't be comming back and for the life of me, absent clear injury, I still don't know why!!! Man I wanted him back...:([/QUOTE]

What don't you understand as to why he isn't coming back to the NY Jets or any other team for that matter? I would be glad to explain.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Time to move on. Braylon sightings are beginning to rival those of Elvis Presley. :rolleyes: