Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Braylon Edwards reportedly won't reunite with Jets

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4496909]Is there a *bull***** smiley somewhere ? Holmes isn't in the top 10-15 in terms of stats, ability or talent, regardless of who is throwing to him or what offense he is in.[/QUOTE]

He put up top 10-15 numbers during his best year in Pittsburgh.

He played 12 games in his first season with the Jets, and put up quality numbers despite not really getting in sync with the offense until the 2nd half of the season.

Last season, the philosophy of the offense shifted to a shorter passing attack due to the limitations of the WR ability around Holmes last year, the entire unit regressed, players didn't perform, and Schotty lost the team.

Using last year's numbers to evaluate Holmes as a player is BEYOND pathetic and stupid, but that doesn't stop the dumbass trolls on this board from doing it.

With a more experienced QB and a higher octane offensive philosophy, Holmes puts up big numbers, he's already shown this. Sanchez was still a young QB last year, I think with the philosophical change of the offense this year, and a better system, with the expectation of a much more dynamic offensive system that utilizes its weapons in better fashion, as long as players like Hill/Schilens, Kerley and maybe one of the younger players around him emerge, it is not a stretch to think Holmes has a much better season statistically.

Banned
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4496910]CHURCH!![/QUOTE]

Not really.

Edwards has a career average of 48.7 receptions, 760.4 yards, 5.2 TD's and 35 first down receptions per season.

Holmes has a career average of 56.3 receptions, 872.5 yards, 5.6 TD's and 42.6 first down receptions per season.

Our front office made the right move in regards to keeping Holmes over Edwards. If our coaching staff/front office released Holmes at 9:00 Sunday morning, he'd be claimed off the waiver wire by 9:15 that same Sunday morning. 31 NFL teams would look to improve their WR talent with an upgrade/addition of Santonio Holmes. That's not the case for Braylon Edwards, now is it? It's clear as day, that Braylon is no longer wanted by GM's around the league. He's still not on an NFL roster ala a free agent without a job.

Our front office also made the right move by going with Plaxico Burress over Edwards last offseason.

Edwards: 9 games, 15 receptions, 181 yards, 0 TD's.

Burress: 16 games, 45 receptions, 612 yards, 8 TD's.

It's obvious that our front office/coaching staff knew something about Braylon Edwards that not a lot of people knew. I wanted Braylon Edwards signed long term, just as much as the next Jet fan, but I now understand that our front office made the right move going with A.) Holmes over Edwards and B.) Plaxico over Edwards.

I also feel that our front office made the right move by selecting a 21 year old athlete in Stephen Hill to replace an aging Burress who struggled inside the 20's. Hill is 21 years of age, 6'4/6'5, runs a 4.3 flat, top of the line (outstanding) leaping/jumping ability and has the potential to impact as a rookie this up coming season.

If Braylon does find a home, I can almost guarantee that Hill, as a rookie, will out perform Braylon Edwards in every which way.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-21-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4496909]Is there a *bull***** smiley somewhere ? Holmes isn't in the top 10-15 in terms of stats, ability or talent, regardless of who is throwing to him or what offense he is in.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't rank Holmes as a top 10 WR myself, but I do have him rounding out the top 15-20. I'm just curious, if you had to rank your top 15 WR's... How would you rank them, in order too.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4496915]He put up top 10-15 numbers during his best year in Pittsburgh.

He played 12 games in his first season with the Jets, and put up quality numbers despite not really getting in sync with the offense until the 2nd half of the season.

Last season, the philosophy of the offense shifted to a shorter passing attack due to the limitations of the WR ability around Holmes last year, the entire unit regressed, players didn't perform, and Schotty lost the team.

Using last year's numbers to evaluate Holmes as a player is BEYOND pathetic and stupid, but that doesn't stop the dumbass trolls on this board from doing it.

With a more experienced QB and a higher octane offensive philosophy, Holmes puts up big numbers, he's already shown this. Sanchez was still a young QB last year, I think with the philosophical change of the offense this year, and a better system, with the expectation of a much more dynamic offensive system that utilizes its weapons in better fashion, as long as players like Hill/Schilens, Kerley and maybe one of the younger players around him emerge, it is not a stretch to think Holmes has a much better season statistically.[/QUOTE]
    It's hard to disagree with this. Spot on mate!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4496769]The locker room didn't want him back? Cromartie and Bryan Thomas have said they wanted him back, just this offseason. Show us ONE quote from a player saying he was a problem in the Jets locker room. And don't give us some crap about how players don't talk, because we can post several quotes from Jets players about Santonio Holmes.

And Santonio Holmes outperformed Edwards? Laughable. Edwards made him better. Look at Santonio's **** season as the "number one" receiver last year. Edwards put up better numbers, in the same offense the year before as the number one receiver. Edwards was also on the team in 2009, with a rookie QB.

Santonio Holmes is no stud. He's an opportunistic front-runner who will make plays here and there on a good team, where other players make things easier for him. The guy doesn't make anyone better and isn't scaring anyone as the main guy. Just look at last year. How many big or game winning plays did he have? 0.

And chemistry? Give me a break. In 2010, the Jets offense looked better than it ever had under Schottenheimer during the games Holmes was suspended. Holmes is a chemistry killer, just like Jeremy Shockey. The faster we ship this guy's ass out of town, the better.[/QUOTE]
    Right on.

Someone here told me he had no support from his teammates after his DUI. I posted a link a few weeks ago to an article that contained comments from Jets players after Edwards DUI. The article proved otherwise.

DWC is a good poster. But he gets on his sopabox way too much and thinks that submitting 5,000 word posts will make his points for him without any back-up. It doesn't work that way.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cant wait;4496778]I have a feeling it was more along the lines of woody didn't want braylon back... remember his daughter died from drugs and alcohol and I don't think the DUI thing went over lightly. if we didn't draft hill I could see them giving him another shot but it appears that window has closed for better or worse[/QUOTE]

Didn't Edwards also have a DUI before he came to the Jtes?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4496915]He put up top 10-15 numbers during [B]his best year[/B] in Pittsburgh.

[/QUOTE]

And that's the problem.

ONE year.

There are a lot of NFL players who have that ONE year. But that
    doesn't make them top 10-15 in the league at their position.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4497152]Didn't Edwards also have a DUI before he came to the Jtes?[/QUOTE]

Maybe BE was told when the Jets traded for him...We'll give you a "2nd" chance here, but if "anything else" happens while here with us we can't guarantee your future with the Jets.

[B]Legal issues[/B]

Edwards has often been in trouble with the law as he has been pulled over several times over the last eight years for speeding violations.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-9"][10][/URL] The most recent of which was in October 2008 when he was pulled over for driving 120 mph in a 65 mph zone.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2010_Arrest-10"][11][/URL]

Two days before being traded to the New York Jets, on October 5, 2009, Edwards reportedly punched Edward Givens, a local party promoter, in the face at 2:30 A.M. outside of the View Ultralounge & Nightclub.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2009_Legal-11"][12][/URL] Givens, who is an acquaintance of [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeBron_James"]LeBron James[/URL], alleged that Edwards was jealous of James' success thus prompting Edwards' attack. This prompted James to call the incident "childish."[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2009_Legal-11"][12][/URL] On October 26, 2009, Edwards was charged with misdemeanor assault[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2009_Legal-11"][12][/URL] and later plead no contest to the charge of aggravated assault on January 12, 2010.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2009_Legal_II-12"][13][/URL] Edwards was given a suspended 180-day jail sentence, was fined $1,000 and placed on inactive probation.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2009_Legal_II-12"][13][/URL] Though Edwards offered no explanation or apology for his actions, he reportedly regretted the entire ordeal according to his lawyer.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2009_Legal_II-12"][13][/URL] The NFL did not suspend Edwards for his actions.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-13"][14][/URL]

On September 21, 2010, Edwards was arrested on a drunken driving charge in New York early in the morning.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2010_Arrest-10"][11][/URL] He was originally pulled over for having excessively tinted windows on his Range Rover.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2010_Arrest-10"][11][/URL] Police smelled alcohol on Edwards who blew 0.16—twice the legal limit.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2010_Arrest-10"][11][/URL] He was arrested on a DWI charge.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2010_Arrest-10"][11][/URL] He is still on probation for the altercation that occurred in October 2009.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2010_Arrest-10"][11][/URL]
    [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards#cite_note-2010_Arrest-10"]
    [/URL][URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braylon_Edwards[/URL]

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496917]Not really.

Edwards has a career average of 48.7 receptions, 760.4 yards, 5.2 TD's and 35 first down receptions per season.

Holmes has a career average of 56.3 receptions, 872.5 yards, 5.6 TD's and 42.6 first down receptions per season.
    [/QUOTE]

Dude. First you brought up stats of what they did AS JETS when they played together as some proof that Holmes is better than Braylon when they were JETS.

Now that I proved that you are factually WRONG, you go and pull the "Well Holmes [b]career-wise[/b] per season is better than Braylon" card?

Really? REALLY???

That's not what I was replying to. Way to change things around to suit your purposes, LadainianImNotDone-masquerading-under-a-different-account. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by Vin; 06-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4496769]The locker room didn't want him back? Cromartie and Bryan Thomas have said they wanted him back, just this offseason. Show us ONE quote from a player saying he was a problem in the Jets locker room. And don't give us some crap about how players don't talk, because we can post several quotes from Jets players about Santonio Holmes.

And Santonio Holmes outperformed Edwards? Laughable. Edwards made him better. Look at Santonio's **** season as the "number one" receiver last year. Edwards put up better numbers, in the same offense the year before as the number one receiver. Edwards was also on the team in 2009, with a rookie QB.
    [B]
    Santonio Holmes is no stud. He's an opportunistic front-runner[/B] who will make plays here and there on a good team, where other players make things easier for him. The guy doesn't make anyone better and isn't scaring anyone as the main guy. Just look at last year. How many big or game winning plays did he have? 0.

And chemistry? Give me a break. In 2010, the Jets offense looked better than it ever had under Schottenheimer during the games Holmes was suspended. Holmes is a chemistry killer, just like Jeremy Shockey. The faster we ship this guy's ass out of town, the better.[/QUOTE]

1+

Well said on all points!
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 06-21-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Vin;4497172]Dude. First you brought up stats of what they did AS JETS when they played together as some proof that Holmes is better than Braylon when they were JETS.

Now that I proved that you are factually WRONG, you go and pull the "Well Holmes [B]career-wise[/B] per season is better than Braylon" card?

Really? REALLY???

That's not what I was replying to. Way to change things around to suit your purposes, LadainianImNotDone-masquerading-under-a-different-account. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.

The Browns didn't have anyone that could touch Hines Ward talent-wise.

Without Ward, Holmes would have had pedestrian numbers.

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496917]Not really.

Our front office made the right move in regards to keeping Holmes over Edwards. If our coaching staff/front office released Holmes at 9:00 Sunday morning, he'd be claimed off the waiver wire by 9:15 that same Sunday morning. 31 NFL teams would look to improve their WR talent with an upgrade/addition of Santonio Holmes. That's not the case for Braylon Edwards, now is it? It's clear as day, that Braylon is no longer wanted by GM's around the league. He's still not on an NFL roster ala a free agent without a job.

Our front office also made the right move by going with Plaxico Burress over Edwards last offseason.

Edwards: 9 games, 15 receptions, 181 yards, 0 TD's.

Burress: 16 games, 45 receptions, 612 yards, 8 TD's.

It's obvious that our front office/coaching staff knew something about Braylon Edwards that not a lot of people knew. I wanted Braylon Edwards signed long term, just as much as the next Jet fan, but I now understand that our front office made the right move going with A.) Holmes over Edwards and B.) Plaxico over Edwards.

I also feel that our front office made the right move by selecting a 21 year old athlete in Stephen Hill to replace an aging Burress who struggled inside the 20's. Hill is 21 years of age, 6'4/6'5, runs a 4.3 flat, top of the line (outstanding) leaping/jumping ability and has the potential to impact as a rookie this up coming season.

If Braylon does find a home, I can almost guarantee that Hill, as a rookie, will out perform Braylon Edwards in every which way.[/QUOTE]

One guy couldn't put up big numbers with a HOF QB, and one guy put up an all-pro, season with one of the highest TD totals for a WR in NFL history with a horrible QB. Guess which is Santonio and guess which is Braylon.

Oh, and the Jets were apparently the only team who showed real interest in Holmes. Now we're paying for it. Add this to the list of stupid Jets moves since 1969.

[QUOTE=detectivekimble;4497406]One guy couldn't put up big numbers with a HOF QB, and one guy put up an all-pro, season with one of the highest TD totals for a WR in NFL history with a horrible QB. Guess which is Santonio and guess which is Braylon.

Oh, and the Jets were apparently the only team who showed real interest in Holmes. Now we're paying for it. Add this to the list of stupid Jets moves since 1969.[/QUOTE]

I place the blame on this solely on Woody(even though it's still speculation but it's still very plausible) for overreacting in letting his emotions dictate his decisions just because BE was DUI(and really...that wasn't even the reason he was pulled over. Tinted windows, my butt. More like he was driving while African-American *and* he had a funky-beard that made him look a little like those middle-eastern guys, too. Isn't Profiling fun? :rolleyes: ).

As much as I like Woody, this was one case where he's an idiot. But only one case(signing Holmes to that ludicrous contract was another case).

BTW, as an aside :

Notice how [b]NY2FLDWC85[/b] hasn't responded since I called him out on his shenanigans and of being LadainianImNotDone working under another account.....He proves my point in both cases the longer he goes without replying with any sort of rebuttal.
    Last edited by Vin; 06-21-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Vin;4497769]I place the blame on this solely on Woody(even though it's still speculation but it's still very plausible) for overreacting in letting his emotions dictate his decisions just because BE was DUI(and really...that wasn't even the reason he was pulled over. Tinted windows, my butt. More like he was driving while African-American *and* he had a funky-beard that made him look a little like those middle-eastern guys, too. Isn't Profiling fun? :rolleyes: ).

As much as I like Woody, this was one case where he's an idiot. But only one case(signing Holmes to that ludicrous contract was another case).

BTW, as an aside :

Notice how [B]NY2FLDWC85[/B] hasn't responded since I called him out on his shenanigans and of being LadainianImNotDone working under another account.....He proves my point in both cases the longer he goes without replying with any sort of rebuttal.[/QUOTE]

I too commented on the dual names. I agree with you. He denies it. If he didn't he would be insta-banned no?

I think he intentionally tries to sound different depending on the name.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4497142]Right on.

Someone here told me he had no support from his teammates after his DUI. I posted a link a few weeks ago to an article that contained comments from Jets players after Edwards DUI. The article proved otherwise.

DWC is a good poster. But he gets on his sopabox way too much and thinks that submitting 5,000 word posts will make his points for him without any back-up. It doesn't work that way.[/QUOTE]
    Yes DWC gets over excited and tries to force his opinion on others without a persuasive, reasonable argument.

If he's posting under several accounts then the mods need to get involved.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4497778]I too commented on the dual names. I agree with you. He denies it. If he didn't he would be insta-banned no?

I think he intentionally tries to sound different depending on the name.[/QUOTE]

I have an idea :

Start insulting Ladainian Tomlinson. If he starts attacking you, then you know who it is. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    11 pages dedicated to an average receiver who hasn't played for this team in almost two seasons and doesn't have a single team currently knocking on his door.

Christ.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4497976]11 pages dedicated to an average receiver who hasn't played for this team in almost two seasons and doesn't have a single team currently knocking on his door.

Christ.[/QUOTE]

It's The Offseason Thread About Nothing Thread. Throwing in Christ just took a potential Tebow turn. Anybody know if Tebow can play WR?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497983]It's The Offseason Thread About Nothing Thread. Throwing in Christ just took a potential Tebow turn. Anybody know if Tebow can play WR?[/QUOTE]

It apparently doesn't matter if he can or cannot play a certain position.
    Looks more like a TE to me though. Can he block?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4497991]It apparently doesn't matter if he can or cannot play a certain position. Looks more like a TE to me though. Can he block?[/QUOTE]

IDK but I did send an email via the official NY Jets website asking if they can try Tebow out at Center. You just never know with Mangold although he swapped out his VIP Taco Bell card for some yogurt & a salad and is looking good.

We still need solid, viable back ups at QB & Center. Tebow is neither IMO.