Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Braylon Edwards reportedly won't reunite with Jets

[QUOTE=Limolady;4498005]IDK but I did send an email via the official NY Jets website asking if they can try Tebow out at Center. You just never know with Mangold although he swapped out his VIP Taco Bell card for some yogurt & a salad and is looking good.

We still need solid, viable back ups at QB & Center. Tebow is neither IMO.[/QUOTE]

I heard a rumor he can play QB. ;-)

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496918]I wouldn't rank Holmes as a top 10 WR myself, but I do have him rounding out the top 15-20. I'm just curious, if you had to rank your top 15 WR's... How would you rank them, in order too.[/QUOTE]

You want a list of just the #1/#2 receivers that I think are better than Holmes ? Or all WRs regardless of the position/type ?

[QUOTE=Jordy;4497168]And that's the problem.

ONE year.

There are a lot of NFL players who have that ONE year. But that
    doesn't make them top 10-15 in the league at their position.[/QUOTE]

What problem? He had one good year with the Jets in which he only played 12 games, and really didnt' get in sync with his new team and the offense during that first year. His first year, everything looked promising.

Last year, it's been well documented, offense out of sync, philosophy change, WR unit overhauled, players not playing up to expectation around him, unable to present enough of a threat opposite Holmes, to stretch field, and pull defensive double teams away from Holmes. One of the main reasons for Holmes' frustration last year, the offense not being effective enough in the passing game.

Holmes does have top 10-15 talent, that was my point.

He needs to answer this year, so far so good, he seems rejuvenated, seems excited about the change Sparano is playing. There is no excuse, he needs to step up and step up big. I think he will have his biggest year yet, as long as Hill and Schilens present that dynamic Burress could not last year, and players like Kerley become bigger factors. It would be a bonus if a player like Ganaway maybe steps up and emerges given his talent and upside based on some reports.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4498031]What problem? He had one good year with the Jets in which he only played 12 games, and really didnt' get in sync with his new team and the offense during that first year. His first year, everything looked promising.

Last year, it's been well documented, offense out of sync, philosophy change, WR unit overhauled, players not playing up to expectation around him, unable to present enough of a threat opposite Holmes, to stretch field, and pull defensive double teams away from Holmes. One of the main reasons for Holmes' frustration last year, the offense not being effective enough in the passing game.

He needs to answer this year, so far so good, he seems rejuvenated, seems excited about the change Sparano is playing. There is no excuse, he needs to step up and step up big. I think he will have his biggest year yet, as long as Hill and Schilens present that dynamic Burress could not last year, and players like Kerley become bigger factors. It would be a bonus if a player like Ganaway maybe steps up and emerges given his talent and upside based on some reports.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I guess I'm going to need for you to help me out here just a bit. Holmes has been in the NFL for 6 seasons. In only 1 of those 6 seasons has he caught for over 1000 yards.

Yet you think that he's a top 15 receiver ?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4498005]IDK but I did send an email via the official NY Jets website asking if they can try Tebow out at Center. You just never know with Mangold although he swapped out his VIP Taco Bell card for some yogurt & a salad and is looking good.

We still need solid, viable back ups at QB & Center. Tebow is neither IMO.[/QUOTE]

Well rumor has it that the plan is to pray we don't need them.

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4498045]Ok, I guess I'm going to need for you to help me out here just a bit. Holmes has been in the NFL for 6 seasons. In only 1 of those 6 seasons has he caught for over 1000 yards.

Yet you think that he's a top 15 receiver ?[/QUOTE]

Braylon has been around for 8 seasons and has had only one 1,000 yard season as well. Last year he didn't have a great year by any stretch of the imagination but that shouldn't take away anything he's done. He's a clutch WR with some of the best routes and hands in football and besides last year he's been a very productive wide receiver who'd deadly in space and when it matters most. Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Holmes is easily in the 10-15 range at least and anyone that thinks that is ridiculous is just still really butthurt by what happened down in Miami last year.

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4498045]Ok, I guess I'm going to need for you to help me out here just a bit. Holmes has been in the NFL for 6 seasons. In only 1 of those 6 seasons has he caught for over 1000 yards.

I can't help your illiteracy, sorry...

[quote]Holmes does have top 10-15 talent, that was my point.[/quote]

[quote]Everybody that knows the game knows a WR's numbers are very dependent on the system he plays in, as much as it is his ability.

Put Holmes on some of the higher octane offenses in the league with a more experienced QB, he puts up big numbers.

Stop being a dumbass.

[B]Is Holmes top 5 in the NFL, no, not in terms of stats, but stats don't tell the whole story.[/B]

Holmes is one of the top WR's in the league, top 10-15 is fair, in terms of his ability.[/quote]

Still having trouble?

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4498062]I can't help your illiteracy, sorry...

Still having trouble?[/QUOTE]

No illiteracy here on my part sunshine, think the problem is more your assumptions and speculation without offering any proof.

BTW, seems that Holmes was in Pitt for 4 years and only broke 1000 yards in 1 of those years. :)

Face it, you have absolutely nothing to base you opinion off of other than to say "Well, I THINK he is".

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4498070]No illiteracy here on my part sunshine, think the problem is more your assumptions and speculation without offering any proof.

BTW, seems that Holmes was in Pitt for 4 years and only broke 1000 yards in 1 of those years. :)

Face it, you have absolutely nothing to base you opinion off of other than to say "Well, I THINK he is".[/QUOTE]

You questioned me and used stats to question me, despite two different posts that clearly stated, stats had nothing to do with it.

He was in Pitt for 4 years, was never the #1 because he played behind Ward and Burress.

My opinion is based on watching the game, watching the player and knowing his talent.

So you want proof, you want evidence, you want something to back it up, and no assumptions?

Is that the same line of crap you consider when pimping Tebow on this board... Sunshine? :shakehead

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4498072]You questioned me and used stats to question me, despite two different posts that clearly stated, stats had nothing to do with it.

He was in Pitt for 4 years, was never the #1 because he played behind Ward and Burress.

My opinion is based on watching the game, watching the player and knowing his talent.

So you want proof, you want evidence, you want something to back it up, and no assumptions?

Is that the same line of crap you consider when pimping Tebow on this board... Sunshine? :shakehead[/QUOTE]

YAWN. You mentioned his one good year in Pitt, and then you went on and on about the lack of a high powered offense / vet QB here with the Jets.

Still doesn't explain his lack of production in Pitt. Wow, that top10 - 15 was that far down the depth chart when he was at Pitt ? If that's the case, when exactly did he become top10-15 ?

Tell me, how many NFL teams that we are scheduled to play against will actually game plan around Santonio Holmes ? Hell, how many teams actually even get close to being seriously concerned about him ??

here's a quick little list of 19 or so receivers. Which one(s) wouldn't you trade Santonio straight up for ??

Calvin Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Andre Johnson
    Steve Smith
    Roddy White
    Wes Welker
    A J Green
    Brandon Marshall
    Julio Jones
    Mike Wallace
    Greg Jennings
    Hakeem Nicks
    Dwayne Bowe
    Marques Colston
    Vincent Jackson
    Percy Harvin
    Desean Jackson
    Dez Bryant
    Reggie Wayne

??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Vin;4497879]I have an idea :

Start insulting Ladainian Tomlinson. If he starts attacking you, then you know who it is. :D[/QUOTE]
    That's part of why I came to this conclusion.

That's what happened the other day.

Both names were coming after me in similar ways and I didn't really say anything to DWC to warrant that.

:yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4498031]What problem? He had one good year with the Jets in which he only played 12 games, and really didnt' get in sync with his new team and the offense during that first year. His first year, everything looked promising.

He needs to answer this year, so far so good, he seems rejuvenated, seems excited about the change Sparano is playing. There is no excuse, he needs to step up and step up big. I think he will have his biggest year yet, as long as Hill and Schilens present that dynamic Burress could not last year, and players like Kerley become bigger factors. It would be a bonus if a player like Ganaway maybe steps up and emerges given his talent and upside based on some reports.[/QUOTE]
    I disagree. Only more excuses.

What happened last year illustrated perfectly why Holmes isn't a top 15 WR. Without a guy who can take the heat off of him and allow him to operate in space (Hines Ward, Braylon Edwards), he's a good, but not top 15 WR.

There are a lot of good WR's in the NFL Ray. Try watching some games other than the Jets and Patriots.

Don't confuse what I'm saying with "Holmes sucks." I'm not saying that. I'm only saying he's not top 15. If he was, don't you think the Steelers could have gotten more than a 5th round pick for him??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Mogglez;4498061]Braylon has been around for 8 seasons and has had only one 1,000 yard season as well. Last year he didn't have a great year by any stretch of the imagination but that shouldn't take away anything he's done. He's a clutch WR with some of the best routes and hands in football and besides last year he's been a very productive wide receiver who'd deadly in space and when it matters most. Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Holmes is easily in the 10-15 range at least and anyone that thinks that is ridiculous is just still really butthurt by what happened down in Miami last year.[/QUOTE]
    :confused: Who ever said Braylon was a top 15 WR?

FYI, I drew my conclusion re Holmes LONG BEFORE the Miami game.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4498072]You questioned me and used stats to question me, despite two different posts that clearly stated, stats had nothing to do with it.

[B]He was in Pitt for 4 years, was never the #1 because he played behind Ward and Burress[/B].

[B]My opinion is based on watching the game[/B], watching the player and knowing his talent.

Is that the same line of crap you consider when pimping Tebow on this board... Sunshine? :shakehead[/QUOTE]

LOL. This is why I believe that you don't watch any NFL games or follow the NFL unless it affects the Jets.

Your opinion is based on watching the game? LOL. Okay.

Burress left Pittsburg [B]2 seasons before[/B] Holmes came into the league.

:shakehead:shakehead

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4498261]

Burress left Pittsburg [B]2 seasons before[/B] Holmes came into the league.

[/QUOTE]

Just goes to prove RayRay hasn't a clue about the game of football.

All Pro
    Holmes isn't top 15.

He's not big enough or enough of a freak athletically to force teams to gameplan against him the way you do for a true #1. He's still a very talented receiver -- he's very athletic, has great hands and is proven clutch -- but he's much better served as a #2 (I think he's a top tier number two receiver)... Which is part of why he was more effective when we had Braylon.

He's probably in the top 25 though.

Let me help Ray out here. What was the only time S Holmes went over 1,000 yards. He played in all sixteen games . Santonio Holmes came close to 1,000 in couple of season and If he stayed healthy would have went over a 1,000 yards.

case in Point Braylon Edwards in 2010 in sixteen games had 53 receptions for 904 yards 7td in comparison to SantonioHolmes in 12 games having 52 receptions for 746 with 6 td's. You can't tell me if he played four more games he might not have gotten a 1000 yards.

Also look at some of Big Ben attempts. Prior to him having that 1,000 yard reception year The steelers disn't throw it as much as they did when he had 1,000 yards. m NOw when you have less attempts + more people sharing the load = going to be tough to break the 1,000 yard mark.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-22-2012 at 11:43 AM.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;4498350]Let me help Ray out here. What was the only time S Holmes went over 1,000 yards. He played in all sixteen games . Santonio Holmes came close to 1,000 in couple of season and If he stayed healthy would have went over a 1,000 yards.

case in Point Braylon Edwards in 2010 in sixteen games had 53 receptions for 904 yards 7td in comparison to SantonioHolmes in 12 games having 52 receptions for 746 with 6 td's. You can't tell me if he played four more games he might not have gotten a 1000 yards.

Also look at some of Big Ben attempts. Prior to him having that 1,000 yard reception year The steelers disn't throw it as much as they did when he had 1,000 yards. m NOw when you have less attempts + more people sharing the load = going to be tough to break the 1,000 yard mark.[/QUOTE]

The fact remains that in 6 years in the league, Holmes hasn't done anything overly special, other than catch 6 passes on one drive in a SB, with one of those catches being a toe dragger in the end zone for a TD.

As far as the excuse about offense and not having a high powered QB, you can say that same thing about a lot of other receivers in the NFL. Hell, Percy Harvin had 967 receiving yards and that was with Christian Ponder at QB. Reggie Wayne had 960 and that was with the lousy QBs that the Colts had last year.

Again, I ask, what has Santonio Holmes done in the NFL to make anyone think that he's a Top 10 - 15 receiver ?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Austin;4498337]Holmes isn't top 15.

He's not big enough or enough of a freak athletically to force teams to gameplan against him the way you do for a true #1. He's still a very talented receiver -- he's very athletic, has great hands and is proven clutch -- but he's much better served as a #2 (I think he's a top tier number two receiver)... Which is part of why he was more effective when we had Braylon.

He's probably in the top 25 though.[/QUOTE]

+1 Although he still needs another talented WR to play with in order for him to be top 25. He wasn't top 25 last year. Not even close.

I really hope Stephen Hill pans out 'cause Holmes is going to see a lot of double-teams unless Hill starts making them pay.