Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lal praising Holmes route running- NYDN link

Lal praising Holmes route running- NYDN link

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/06/jets-wrs-coach-sanjay-lal-in-complete-shock-over-attention-given-to-santonio-holmes-dec[/url]

A few weeks after new wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal witnessed it in person, he still marveled at the memory of a play that revealed the precision and promise of his best wideout.
    Santonio Holmes vs. Darrelle Revis.
    Inside the Jets’ wide receivers’ room covered with pass formations on white grease boards, Lal explained the play from OTAs that “we’ve used as a model” this offseason. *
    Mark Sanchez called a 18-yard deep out pass pattern.
    “It was press coverage,” Lal told me. “Tone fought the press off. He burst to his exact route depth that he was supposed to get to. He was supposed to get to 15 yards and he was pinpoint accurate on that. He snapped off, made a great catch and turned upfield. If you rewind the film, Mark threw the ball when Tone was at 13 yards. Tone runs a full two more yards with Revis all over him and then breaks when the ball was in the air.”

“You break at 15 and end at 18,” Lal explained. “He was on the money exactly. (With) contested environment --- press coverage – most receivers would have cut that off at 13 yards. I would say 99 percent of them. For Tone to go those extra two yards, fight off and make a great catch -- *and for Mark to trust him and throw it when he was at 13 yards -- is huge…. Tone doing that solidified every opinion I had of him, positively. And that’s the standard he’ll be held to.”

Holmes’ goodwill trip to Germany for the U.S. troops caused him to miss nearly half of the team’s nine voluntary OTA practices. When he returned for the final OTA session on June 7, he made headlines by pulling himself out due to “too many reps,” he said at the time, tossing his helmet and expressing his frustration to Lal. At the time, Holmes and Rex Ryan said that the receiver wasn’t injured. Before last week’s mandatory minicamp, however, Ryan revealed that Holmes had suffered a hamstring injury during that final OTA practice.

“Honestly, it was complete shock to me that this was being reported,” Lal told me of Holmes’ decision to remove himself from the June 7 practice. “Every day in every practice, I make it a point to tell the receivers -- because they run so much -- you have to keep them healthy. There’s an open book in our room: If you feel any muscle issue, we’re going to err on the side of caution, especially in June. There’s no point getting hurt in June. *So, a receiver coming to the coach and saying, ‘Hey, my hammy’s tight. Hold me down to short routes. Can you space out my routes more today?’ That’s done every day…. So I really didn’t understand what the whole story was about. It was no different than two other receivers on that same day saying the same thing to me.”

Holmes participated in individual and passing drills during the three-day minicamp, but didn’t take part in any 11-on-11 team sessions. He didn’t speak to the media last week, a violation of the league’s access policy. (NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Daily News in an email that the league has reached out the Jets regarding the matter and that “we do not expect any further issues.”).

Holmes has been criticized by his teammates for skipping a meeting organized by Sanchez in the run-up to the Jets’ final regular-season game in Miami and getting benched in the waning minutes after jawing with players in the huddle on multiple occasions. Holmes has maintained that he has no personal regrets for that behavior.

Lal, who joined the staff after five seasons with the Raiders, admitted that it’ll take time to develop a relationship with the team’s No. 1 wideout.

“We’ve only been together six weeks,” Lal said. “You don’t really get to know your players and develop the full trust until you go through some battles together. He’s probably wondering, ‘How’s this guy going to react when we lose a game? Is he the same guy? What if there’s some adversity that happens during a game? How is it going to be handled?’ And same with me for him. So, I think it takes some time. It takes some battle testing to see really what you have.”

Holmes grew increasingly frustrated with former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer last season. Lal admitted that Tony Sparano has made it clear that he will feature Holmes’ strengths in his offense this season.

If Holmes gets his act together, he should have much better numbers this yr.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=barkus;4494383][url]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2012/06/jets-wrs-coach-sanjay-lal-in-complete-shock-over-attention-given-to-santonio-holmes-dec[/url]

A few weeks after new wide receivers coach Sanjay Lal witnessed it in person, he still marveled at the memory of a play that revealed the precision and promise of his best wideout.
    Santonio Holmes vs. Darrelle Revis.
    Inside the Jets’ wide receivers’ room covered with pass formations on white grease boards, Lal explained the play from OTAs that “we’ve used as a model” this offseason. *
    Mark Sanchez called a 18-yard deep out pass pattern.
    “It was press coverage,” Lal told me. “Tone fought the press off. He burst to his exact route depth that he was supposed to get to. He was supposed to get to 15 yards and he was pinpoint accurate on that. He snapped off, made a great catch and turned upfield. If you rewind the film, Mark threw the ball when Tone was at 13 yards. Tone runs a full two more yards with Revis all over him and then breaks when the ball was in the air.”

“You break at 15 and end at 18,” Lal explained. “He was on the money exactly. (With) contested environment --- press coverage – most receivers would have cut that off at 13 yards. I would say 99 percent of them. For Tone to go those extra two yards, fight off and make a great catch -- *and for Mark to trust him and throw it when he was at 13 yards -- is huge…. Tone doing that solidified every opinion I had of him, positively. And that’s the standard he’ll be held to.”

Holmes’ goodwill trip to Germany for the U.S. troops caused him to miss nearly half of the team’s nine voluntary OTA practices. When he returned for the final OTA session on June 7, he made headlines by pulling himself out due to “too many reps,” he said at the time, tossing his helmet and expressing his frustration to Lal. At the time, Holmes and Rex Ryan said that the receiver wasn’t injured. Before last week’s mandatory minicamp, however, Ryan revealed that Holmes had suffered a hamstring injury during that final OTA practice.

“Honestly, it was complete shock to me that this was being reported,” Lal told me of Holmes’ decision to remove himself from the June 7 practice. “[B]Every day in every practice, I make it a point to tell the receivers -- because they run so much -- you have to keep them healthy. There’s an open book in our room: If you feel any muscle issue, we’re going to err on the side of caution, especially in June. There’s no point getting hurt in June. *So, a receiver coming to the coach and saying, ‘Hey, my hammy’s tight. Hold me down to short routes. Can you space out my routes more today?’ That’s done every day…. So I really didn’t understand what the whole story was about. It was no different than two other receivers on that same day saying the same thing to me.”[/B]

Holmes participated in individual and passing drills during the three-day minicamp, but didn’t take part in any 11-on-11 team sessions. He didn’t speak to the media last week, a violation of the league’s access policy. (NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Daily News in an email that the league has reached out the Jets regarding the matter and that “we do not expect any further issues.”).

Holmes has been criticized by his teammates for skipping a meeting organized by Sanchez in the run-up to the Jets’ final regular-season game in Miami and getting benched in the waning minutes after jawing with players in the huddle on multiple occasions. Holmes has maintained that he has no personal regrets for that behavior.

Lal, who joined the staff after five seasons with the Raiders, admitted that it’ll take time to develop a relationship with the team’s No. 1 wideout.

“We’ve only been together six weeks,” Lal said. “You don’t really get to know your players and develop the full trust until you go through some battles together. He’s probably wondering, ‘How’s this guy going to react when we lose a game? Is he the same guy? What if there’s some adversity that happens during a game? How is it going to be handled?’ And same with me for him. So, I think it takes some time. It takes some battle testing to see really what you have.”

Holmes grew increasingly frustrated with former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer last season. Lal admitted that Tony Sparano has made it clear that he will feature Holmes’ strengths in his offense this season.

If Holmes gets his act together, he should have much better numbers this yr.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this post.

This is a great article and once again points out the deliberate distortions of the so called objective New York Media.

Good Grief.....

All League
    Good read, thanks for posting.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=barkus;4494383] Sanjay Lal said ...
    So I really didn’t understand what the whole story was about. It was no different than two other receivers on that same day saying the same thing to me.”

[/QUOTE]

... welcome to the NY media ...

... good read, thx! ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The biggest thing that's going to help Holmes is Stephen Hill on the other side. Doesn't matter that he's a rookie, he's going to draw coverage.

Positive aritcles are junk or haven't you heard? ;)

Great post, I think I am one of the few who think that this team can be very good this year.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494510]The biggest thing that's going to help Holmes is Stephen Hill on the other side. Doesn't matter that he's a rookie, he's going to draw coverage.[/QUOTE]

I agree. A 21 year old kid who's 6'5, runs a 4.3 flat and has top of the line leaping ability will help our entire offense in more ways than one, especially Holmes. By Hill having the natural ability to stretch the defense ala taking the top off the defense, will provide Holmes with the opportunity to work the middle of the field.

We're on the verge of seeing the real Santonio Holmes for the first time as a Jet, thanks to Tony Sparano. Sparano is giving our QB in Sanchez as well as our WR's such as Holmes the chance to actually make ADJUSTMENTS at the L.O.S (Pre-play). If Holmes sees that his CB is playing the out route? Holmes can hot-route to Sanchez for a quick in or a quick slant. If Holmes spots that the Safety is cheating towards the box, blitzing or in man coverage on the TE? Holmes can than hot route to Sanchez, Sanchez can change the route, and beat the defense deep. Holmes is one of the best route runners in the game today, excellent I.Q at the WR position and understands the game just as good as anyone on our team. Sparano giving our WR's the ability to hot route is going to be big, especially for Holmes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4494520]I agree. A 21 year old kid who's 6'5, runs a 4.3 flat and has top of the line leaping ability will help our entire offense in more ways than one, especially Holmes. By Hill having the natural ability to stretch the defense ala taking the top off the defense, will provide Holmes with the opportunity to work the middle of the field.

[B]We're on the verge of seeing the real Santonio Holmes for the first time as a Jet, thanks to Tony Sparano. Sparano is giving our QB in Sanchez as well as our WR's such as Holmes the chance to actually make ADJUSTMENTS at the L.O.S (Pre-play). If Holmes sees that his CB is playing the out route? Holmes can hot-route to Sanchez for a quick in or a quick slant. If Holmes spots that the Safety is cheating towards the box, blitzing or in man coverage on the TE? Holmes can than hot route to Sanchez, Sanchez can change the route, and beat the defense deep. Holmes is one of the best route runners in the game today, excellent I.Q at the WR position and understands the game just as good as anyone on our team. Sparano giving our WR's the ability to hot route is going to be big, especially for Holmes.[/QUOTE]
    [/B]

I don't get it...

I just don't get it!!!! Why if the offense does what you purpose the Jets might actually score a TD or two in the first quarter....:eek:

And to think some out here don't understand why Schotty's time as Jets OC had run its course.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Tony Danza;4494514]Positive aritcles are junk or haven't you heard? ;)

Great post, I think I am one of the few who think that this team can be very good this year.[/QUOTE]

Haven't you heard? Dallas is the team to watch.

It's all pretty funny regarding the media, it's like the Jets didn't get to the AFC championship 2 out of the last 3 years.
    I'm not chirping that the Jets are the best team in the NFL, but, if the offense does not turn over the ball, they CAN beat anyone in this league.

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4494543][/B]

I don't get it...

I just don't get it!!!! Why if the offense does what you purpose the Jets might actually score a TD or two in the first quarter....:eek:

And to think some out here don't understand why Schotty's time as Jets OC had run its course.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I honestly believe that Shoddy had Sanchez head spinning with too much "garbage" he had to deal with. Favre HATED our offense & initiated the fiat that it be simplified to more suit his game.
    Sanchez NEEDS to feel it's OK to run for a 1st down, just slide. Man, that was horrible when they had him so freaked out about running.
    It's not like Sanchez is not athletic jeez, if he sees open space take off man & slide into 2nd, especially the way they are calling penalties in this league.

Banned

I don't get it...

And to think some out here don't understand why Schotty's time as Jets OC had run its course.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"At times last season, players hinted they felt stuck in calls. In the Week 3 loss to Oakland, for example, the Raiders played zone coverage instead of the expected man-to-man. Afterward, Holmes called for the offense to have more freedom to adjust on the fly, saying the players “can’t be forced to continue doing the same things” when the defense is different than expected.
    Asked if Sparano’s offense could help in situations like that, Holmes said last week, “N[B]o question[/B].”[/FONT][/I]

Holmes was built for Sparano's offense. Gives him the ability to actually HELP his quarterback (pre-snap). Which could be huge for a young quarterback such as Sanchez. A developing one at that. Last year? Holmes felt powerless in Shotty's limited offense ala call a play and STICK WITH IT regardless of the ways that the opposing defenses came out lined up. Holmes complained about this way back in week 3, and come week(s) 15, 16 and 17? Nothing changed. But yet, critics of the WR like to state that Holmes "quit on his team". Maybe, just maybe he quit on A.) His offensive coordinator and B.) Expected much better from his coaching staff. Holmes is not a "cancer". He's a winner, and expects to win. Our fans quit on Shotty Jr 3 years ago, but those same fans are the same fans who consider Holmes a "cancer" all because he couldn't take Shotty's play calling/coaching for one season longer. Holmes exposed Shotty Jr, and rightfully so. Sparano gives our WR's the flexibility to take advantage of what the defense is giving them, make adjustments with their quarterback pre-play and overall? Just a much better coached offense.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Hopefully the first quarter problems are improved with schitty being out of the picture. The pats game in foxboro last year still irritates me to this day, how the F can you open a game with 9 consecutive 3 and outs?!?!? vs the porous pats d no less! That rivals the infamous raiders TD drive with 22 consecutive run plays vs Fat Teddy Cottrell's garbage D a while back.

All Pro

I don't get it...

I don't get it either.I thought i read somewhere during the 1st week that Sparano was hired,how he was going to have the Jets run the play as called regardless of the Defense and cut out all the at the LOS shifting and adjusting.

You Know,all the stuff shotty wanted to do

[QUOTE=barkus;4494561]Hopefully the first quarter problems are improved with schitty being out of the picture. The pats game in foxboro last year still irritates me to this day, how the F can you open a game with 9 consecutive 3 and outs?!?!? vs the porous pats d no less! That rivals the infamous raiders TD drive with 22 consecutive run plays vs Fat Teddy Cottrell's garbage D a while back.[/QUOTE]

That Pats game was the nail in the coffin for Schoddy, at least for me.

[QUOTE=Tinstar;4494579]I don't get it either.I thought i read somewhere during the 1st week that Sparano was hired,how he was going to have the Jets run the play as called regardless of the Defense and cut out all the at the LOS shifting and adjusting.

You Know,all the stuff shotty wanted to do[/QUOTE]

Our gameplan is not going to change much from week to week. We're not going to run 40 times one week and then throw 60 the next. And we won't see have as much of the pre-snap motion. Rex or Pettine made a comment about how much less motion there's been from the offense, which has increased the tempo and made the defense have to make their adjustments more quickly.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4494557][I][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"At times last season, players hinted they felt stuck in calls. In the Week 3 loss to Oakland, for example, the Raiders played zone coverage instead of the expected man-to-man. Afterward, Holmes called for the offense to have more freedom to adjust on the fly, saying the players “can’t be forced to continue doing the same things” when the defense is different than expected.
    Asked if Sparano’s offense could help in situations like that, Holmes said last week, “N[B]o question[/B].”[/FONT][/I]

Holmes was built for Sparano's offense. Gives him the ability to actually HELP his quarterback (pre-snap). Which could be huge for a young quarterback such as Sanchez. A developing one at that. Last year? Holmes felt powerless in Shotty's limited offense ala call a play and STICK WITH IT regardless of the ways that the opposing defenses came out lined up. Holmes complained about this way back in week 3, and come week(s) 15, 16 and 17? Nothing changed. But yet, critics of the WR like to state that Holmes "quit on his team". Maybe, just maybe he quit on A.) His offensive coordinator and B.) Expected much better from his coaching staff. Holmes is not a "cancer". He's a winner, and expects to win. Our fans quit on Shotty Jr 3 years ago, but those same fans are the same fans who consider Holmes a "cancer" all because he couldn't take Shotty's play calling/coaching for one season longer. Holmes exposed Shotty Jr, and rightfully so. Sparano gives our WR's the flexibility to take advantage of what the defense is giving them, make adjustments with their quarterback pre-play and overall? Just a much better coached offense.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%

And it is just my speculation that the players on offense turned on Snachez when he refused to step up and say anything to Schotty about change.

[QUOTE=Tony Danza;4494610]That Pats game was the nail in the coffin for Schoddy, at least for me.[/QUOTE]

And the Philly game.Greene runs up the gut for 40 yards on 4 straight carries,then a$$ clown calls a shot gun formation for no reason at all..int

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494510]The biggest thing that's going to help Holmes is Stephen Hill on the other side. Doesn't matter that he's a rookie, he's going to draw coverage.[/QUOTE]

LOVE Stephen Hill.

But Cmon Buzz.....i think ur falling in love with the #'s....

The kid hasnt even played a preseason snap, and the majority of Jets fans consider him to be a lock to be a legitimate NFL threat.

[QUOTE=Tinstar;4494579]I don't get it either.I thought i read somewhere during the 1st week that Sparano was hired,how he was going to have the Jets run the play as called regardless of the Defense and cut out all the at the LOS shifting and adjusting.

You Know,all the stuff shotty wanted to do[/QUOTE]

I assume you're being sarcastic, as there's a BIG difference between allowing motion at the line if the QB sees something, vs movement that's BUILT INTO THE PLAY that serves little (if any) purpose.

Or maybe you could explain to me the value of lining a FB out at WR, just to have him motion into his original position anyway . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=sdJETSetter;4494650]LOVE Stephen Hill.

But Cmon Buzz.....i think ur falling in love with the #'s....

The kid hasnt even played a preseason snap, and the majority of Jets fans consider him to be a lock to be a legitimate NFL threat.[/QUOTE]

Plax was a slug out there, slow and plodding. When Hill runs go routes opposing teams will have to account for him. I don't think Hill's going to have a big season as far as catches/yards/TD's, but I think Santonio's going to. Guess we'll find out in a few months.