Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've Noticed Something About Names.....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4495601][IMG]http://stylefelons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Unabomber.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.nndb.com/people/012/000110679/charles-starkweather-1.jpg[/IMG]

+

[IMG]http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/s/sex-rb.gif[/IMG]

=

[IMG]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNWiwqsTjSHt-dJsvOu3gs9k4y5zIbELNTHUG74ygL6zyl5buQ5mVAk9xU[/IMG]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4495486]Mittens. A guy who wouldn't know how to operate a weedwacker let alone clear any brush.[/QUOTE]
    Then don't hire him to do your lawn.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4495613]Then don't hire him to do your lawn.[/QUOTE]

Mitt believes in the sanctity of marriage.

Just ask his 6 great-grandmothers.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4495486]It's just funny.

Pubs went from Bush...touted for his folksiness, brush-clearing abilities and country attitude.

To....

Mittens. A guy who wouldn't know how to operate a weedwacker let alone clear any brush.

That kinda thing used to matter to the Republican Party. It's so bad, that Obama has picked John Kerry to play Mitt Romney in his mock debate rehearsals. Your party is electing A Massachusetts elitist...lolz. :P:D[/QUOTE]

I would probably agree that Obama knows a lot more about weed than Romney. I would also agree that he know a lot more about coke and crack and perhaps other fine "addititive" products.
    Relative to work. Romney actually worked jobs when he was younger. Did Obama ever do anything?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4494443]

Thoughts (bring it on FF! ;))?[/QUOTE]

He doesn't have thoughts as much as he has neurons that backfire; hence the word "brainfarts".

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4495563]Honestly do not recall. But [B]am sure it intensified.[/B]
    I think Michelle brought a lot on also with her "First time I've been proud" comments.
    Obama has enough negatives associated with him. He doesn't need more. I admit I like to call hom The Hawaiian as a joke. A man without a state. I do believe he is American born. Just an American with poor values.[/QUOTE]

Not even close. It was a story way back in the run up to the 2008 election, well before he had any activity with the Saudis or Israel to try to pin it on.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4495892]Romney actually worked jobs when he was younger.[/QUOTE]

lolz...

like? Tell us what kind of jobs Mittney Romney had.....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Calling someone by something other than what they typically go by is simply a means to get under their skin and belittle them in a way. In response, that person (or their supporter), has the option of either ignoring it (and risking it sticking) or objecting to it and coming off looking petty by arguing about a name.

I have a partner who would never seem to get opposing counsel's name right in Court. He would say "Your Honor, Mr. Weaselboard is lying to the Court!" (when the guy's name was something vaguely similar, but not really). It would drive the guy bananas, but if he ever addressed it, he'd come off looking really petty when my partner would simply claim to have misspoke. While not exactly gentlemanly, it was pretty hysterical.

I usually make it a point to butcher the names of some jerk my wife works with or anyone who seems like a real ahole. "Hey, nice to meet you Klen....what kind of name is Klen anyway? Right, right....Ken, sorry. Do you want anything from the bar, Klen?"

[QUOTE=crasherino;4496711]Calling someone by something other than what they typically go by is simply a means to get under their skin and belittle them in a way. In response, that person (or their supporter), has the option of either ignoring it (and risking it sticking) or objecting to it and coming off looking petty by arguing about a name.

I have a partner who would never seem to get opposing counsel's name right in Court. He would say "Your Honor, Mr. Weaselboard is lying to the Court!" (when the guy's name was something vaguely similar, but not really). It would drive the guy bananas, but if he ever addressed it, he'd come off looking really petty when my partner would simply claim to have misspoke. While not exactly gentlemanly, it was pretty hysterical.

I usually make it a point to butcher the names of some jerk my wife works with or anyone who seems like a real ahole. "Hey, nice to meet you Klen....what kind of name is Klen anyway? Right, right....Ken, sorry. Do you want anything from the bar, Klen?"[/QUOTE]

I've seen that swing both ways. A simple "it's Wisselbrad, John - no worries for past errors but I'd appreciate it if you got it right from now on" can work wonders, especially since judges take a dim view of gamesmanship.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4496725]I've seen that swing both ways. A simple "it's Wisselbrad, John - no worries for past errors but I'd appreciate it if you got it right from now on" can work wonders, especially since judges take a dim view of gamesmanship.[/QUOTE]

Good call Dodginit!

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4496569]Not even close. It was a story way back in the run up to the 2008 election, well before he had any activity with the Saudis or Israel to try to pin it on.[/QUOTE]

It WAS a story, BUT as I said it intensified as his performance became more liberal. He was depicted as an anti American because of his philosophy and that of his wife. Recall the magazine cover of the two with a photo of Che and them holding an AK47. Not a racist depiction but one of anti American.
    AND what is more anti American than a Moslem. Sorry, I am not on the "Islam is a peaceful religion" bandwagon.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4496592]lolz...

like? Tell us what kind of jobs Mittney Romney had.....[/QUOTE]

Actually a security guard. In more than one place.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4497222]It WAS a story, BUT as I said it intensified as his performance became more liberal. He was depicted as an anti American because of his philosophy and that of his wife. Recall the magazine cover of the two with a photo of Che and them holding an AK47. Not a racist depiction but one of anti American.[B]
    AND what is more anti American than a Moslem. [/B]Sorry, I am not on the "Islam is a peaceful religion" bandwagon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, people like these are so anti-American:

[QUOTE]His call sign is “Hadji,” meaning “one who has made a pilgrimage to Mecca.” “It’s a pilot thing,” explains Colonel Douglas Burpee, the highest ranking Muslim officer in the U.S. Marine Corps. Now in his 23rd year of military service, Colonel Burpee recently returned from flying helicopters in Afghanistan.
    “Everyone knows I’m a Muslim. When I fly, attached to my dog tags, I wear a pendant with a passage from the Koran,” he says. “I try to set a good example based upon what I believe…. I can be a soldier and a Muslim at the same time. I have no problem with that.”
    In the era of the war on terror, the example of a devout Muslim serving in the American Military is a heartening sign that highlights the difference between America and its self-appointed enemies in this conflict. This is not a clash of civilizations, but a fight between a modern pluralistic democracy and intolerant murders who have hijacked one of the world’s great faiths.
    Certainly that’s Colonel Burpee’s view. “These people who commit terrorism have just adopted the face of Islam - nothing they say or do have anything to do with Islam,” he says. “The Taliban is a terrorist organization - they are bad people doing bad things and they’ve attached religion to it. They are ruthless when it comes to killing people, but that’s how you move helpless people around - you use fear.”
    Out of the 1.4 million service men and women serving actively in the American military, an estimated 3,700 are Muslim, according to the Department of Defense.
    Colonel Burpee’s path to both Islam and the military is not necessarily typical. With blond hair that is now going gray, he was born in America and raised Episcopalian. He converted to Islam when he was 19 for a very American reason: “I met a pretty girl” - an Egyptian woman named Hala who was a fellow student at the University of Southern California in the late 1970s. Three years later he was accepted at the Officers Candidates’ School in Quantico, Va. Now he and Hala and their five sons live in Glendale, Calif.
    “We believe in god and family and prayer - the same things as everyone who believes in religion,” he says. But his reaction to September 11th fit a less typical script. “I watched the attacks on TV, like everybody else. The first thing we did afterwards was go to the mosque because people were concerned about a backlash. On the other hand, I had to call into my squadron and ask, ‘Hey, are we being activated?’” Colonel Burpee straddles his two worlds, but he is not typical of Islam or the military. . . .
    [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Perhaps a more typical portrait of a Muslim soldier in the U.S. military comes from Sergeant Youseff Mandour of the U.S. Army. He immigrated to America from Morocco at the age of 17 and joined the army at age 22. Now 25, he just returned from 12 months in Iraq. Like Colonel Burpee, he aspires to a lifelong career in the military. “I’m fighting for a better life and a belief in freedom,” he says. “I had a chance to get involved. I learned the English language and appreciate everything this country has given to me. That’s why I joined the Army. The U.S. is doing great things.”

Sergeant Mandour takes special offense at the terrorists who murder in the name of his faith. “The war on terror is not about Islam. This is a war against criminals who use religion to say they are good people, but they’re no better than the Mafia. They’re just common criminals, many with criminal records … It was great that I got to use my training against people who tried to kill us and who tried to give a wrong idea about my religion.”

Nor is Sergeant Mandour agnostic about the war in Iraq. “We are not there to fight Islam but spread democracy. I feel very ashamed for those like Osama Bin Laden who use the religion of Islam and call for a jihad. You can’t call a jihad against people trying to help, and I believe we are helping people in Iraq. I helped more people in Iraq than I ever did in my life as a soldier and as a Muslim.”
    [/QUOTE]

[url]http://muslimsforamerica.us/blog/?p=128[/url]

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4497350]Yeah, people like these are so anti-American:

[url]http://muslimsforamerica.us/blog/?p=128[/url][/QUOTE]

Doggin, you're smarter and more logical than that. A few guys or even a few million guys who are Moslem and ok do not compensate for the BILLION plus who are fanatical and anti western and anti Christian ( not to mention anti Jew).
    That would (from a converse perspective) be like saying Jews are bad because of Bernie Madoff, Lloyd Blankfein, Sandi Weill and Jamie Dimon.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4497397]Doggin, you're smarter and more logical than that. A few guys or even a few million guys who are Moslem and ok do not compensate for the BILLION plus who are fanatical and anti western and anti Christian ( not to mention anti Jew).
    That would (from a converse perspective) be like saying Jews are bad because of Bernie Madoff, Lloyd Blankfein, Sandi Weill and Jamie Dimon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. My point is it's not a muslim issue so much as a middle east issue; the muslims I know who grew up in the west tend to be sane and approachable, though we often disagree. "Muslim" isn't and shouldn't be a dirty word. "Islamist" is and should be.

All of which is beside the point. Obama is not a muslim. His name makes it sound like he is, and that is the purpose to which it was used. As a rational centrist who would very much like to see Obama voted out of office in 2012, that sickens me.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4497462]Yeah. My point is it's not a muslim issue so much as a middle east issue; the muslims I know who grew up in the west tend to be sane and approachable, though we often disagree. "Muslim" isn't and shouldn't be a dirty word. "Islamist" is and should be.

All of which is beside the point. Obama is not a muslim. His name makes it sound like he is, and that is the purpose to which it was used. As a rational centrist who would very much like to see Obama voted out of office in 2012, that sickens me.[/QUOTE]

Doggin, in all fairness how many Moslems do you know? And I would venture that they are somewhat civilized because they are "getting along".
    Check out (unlikely you are that crazy) the Islamic commubnities in Paterson NJ. BTW, a mosque there supporter 9/11 guys.
    Obama is not a Moslem. Not sure what type of Christian, but some brand.
    His stances, especially against Israel and soft attitudes toward certain "regimes" make him look sympathetic.
    Yes, there is name calling. On all sides. Bush was portrayed as Hitler for example.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4497228]Actually a security guard. In more than one place.[/QUOTE]

lolz...

A security guard? At the car plant that his dad owned?

I bet you he worked REAL hard at that. Being a security guard is hard, hard work....

[IMG]http://www.visualphotos.com/photo/1x9711807/security_guard_sleeping_at_desk_is099ha5d.jpg[/IMG]

;):P

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4497499]Doggin, in all fairness how many Moslems do you know? And I would venture that they are somewhat civilized because they are "getting along".
    Check out (unlikely you are that crazy) the Islamic commubnities in Paterson NJ. BTW, a mosque there supporter 9/11 guys.
    Obama is not a Moslem. Not sure what type of Christian, but some brand.
    His stances, especially against Israel and soft attitudes toward certain "regimes" make him look sympathetic.
    Yes, there is name calling. On all sides. Bush was portrayed as Hitler for example.[/QUOTE]

And when he was, I was castigating people for it. I don't allow my kids to get away with "but he started it" or "but everyone else does it", and I don't think you did either. So why should we accept those excuses from adults?

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4497768]And when he was, I was castigating people for it. I don't allow my kids to get away with "but he started it" or "but everyone else does it", and I don't think you did either. S[B]o why should we accept those excuses from adults[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Bushes fault?

[QUOTE=acepepe;4497783]Bushes fault?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that too.