Thread: NFL Sunday Ticket, Directv

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

NFL Sunday Ticket, Directv

I just called Directv to cancel my service, got sick of paying $82 for just basic programming and a couple HD receivers. I'm not in the NY area and figured I'd just hit a bar for the Jet games that aren't on national TV.

Anyways, the rep in the cancellation department asked why I was cancelling and I said the price was too much and the receiver was a piece of crap. He first offered a $30 per month discount (12 month commitment), so I kept listening. Then he starts talking about the new HD receivers, 1 TB of space, records 5 shows at once, etc. So I said instead of that, how about Red Zone channel? He put me on hold, came back and said he could give me Sunday Ticket for free :yes:

So, just wanted to share, pretty stoked on that, I was going to stay just for the $30 discount. Now might be a good time to call and negotiate for anyone else out of the NY area.

All Pro
    cool i buy the nfl replay as I work on sundays. I usually watch the game monday when I get up.

Dude,
    I hate to tell you, but that's the way you have to negotiate everything for the last couple of decades. From Cable, to medical bills, to, yes, cell phones. If you not Locked In: call em up, tell em you want to cancel and are going to the other companies deal-of-the-day, and they'll cut your prices by 20,30,40,50%.

For my cable company, I schedule a yearly call with them so I can threaten to leave so they can pull my cable bill out of the nosebleeds...Crappy way to do business but it is what it is..

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494764]I just called Directv to cancel my service, got sick of paying $82 for just basic programming and a couple HD receivers. I'm not in the NY area and figured I'd just hit a bar for the Jet games that aren't on national TV.

Anyways, the rep in the cancellation department asked why I was cancelling and I said the price was too much and the receiver was a piece of crap. He first offered a $30 per month discount (12 month commitment), so I kept listening. Then he starts talking about the new HD receivers, 1 TB of space, records 5 shows at once, etc. So I said instead of that, how about Red Zone channel? He put me on hold, came back and said he could give me Sunday Ticket for free :yes:

So, just wanted to share, pretty stoked on that, I was going to stay just for the $30 discount. Now might be a good time to call and negotiate for anyone else out of the NY area.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494764]I just called Directv to cancel my service, got sick of paying $82 for just basic programming and a couple HD receivers. I'm not in the NY area and figured I'd just hit a bar for the Jet games that aren't on national TV.

So, just wanted to share, pretty stoked on that, I was going to stay just for the $30 discount. Now might be a good time to call and negotiate for anyone else out of the NY area.[/QUOTE]

5 shows at once? nice

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=DaveInNNJ;4494773]Dude,
    I hate to tell you, but that's the way you have to negotiate everything for the last couple of decades. From Cable, to medical bills, to, yes, cell phones. If you not Locked In: call em up, tell em you want to cancel and are going to the other companies deal-of-the-day, and they'll cut your prices by 20,30,40,50%.

For my cable company, I schedule a yearly call with them so I can threaten to leave so they can pull my cable bill out of the nosebleeds...Crappy way to do business but it is what it is..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I call Directv every year and threaten to cancel. We have yearly threads on this. But never got Sunday Ticket for free, they usually discount down to $140-$180.

Banned

I love these DirectTV threads, they come around every offseason and just goes to show how close we are to the actual season. I've called in and threatened cancellation each of the past 3 years (although I would never actually cancel). I simply let them know, that the only reason why I have directtv throughout the course of the year is because of the NFL Network/Season Ticket. Due to this, I've always received great discounts in regards to the NFL Sunday ticket. Now, the deal that Buzsaw landed is an outstanding value/deal; I've never been able to convince them into giving me the NFL Sunday Ticket for FREE! :eek:

They are always good with making consumers happy. As for going to the sportsbars or whatever when the games aren't on national tv ... it always ends up being worse cause you spend 20 bucks minimum every time you're out. People cancel service to avoid paying 40 or 50 extra bucks but watch 7 games at the sports bar and end up spending over hundred bucks easy. Me personally I can't watch games at a sportsbar cause I have to be at my own home to take in everything going down. At the sports bar I don't get the true experience I like getting vs when I'm on my own couch watching the game. Maybe others can but I can't ...

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494778]Yeah, I call Directv every year and threaten to cancel. We have yearly threads on this. But never got Sunday Ticket for free, they usually discount down to $140-$180.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty darn good.

Do you know if you got Sunday Ticket Max or Regular?

All Pro
    Dammit, I forgot all about this trick and just ordered ST last week. :O

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I get this type of treatment on every bill I have.. Every bill has a retention dpt. Just call up and *****.

Cable, phone, cel phone, elec bill, credit card companies will also lower interest, etc...I have saved thousands a year.

I tried that and they told be to GFM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4495219]I tried that and they told be to GFM.[/QUOTE]

Can you blame them?

I got the Ticket for free last year, will try again soon.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494764]

Then he starts talking about the new HD receivers, 1 TB of space, records 5 shows at once, etc.

[/QUOTE]

I just upgraded to the new HD receivers. I have one LED TV and one plasma TV and the picture quality is tremendous.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4495219]I tried that and they told be to GFM.[/QUOTE]

Were you as diplomatic with them as you are as a poster? ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4495239]Were you as diplomatic with them as you are as a poster? ;)[/QUOTE]

Funny thing, the DirecTV rep actually said to him, "don't call back, you're banned for 30 days!"

:P

Banned
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4495054]Dammit, I forgot all about this trick and just ordered ST last week. :O[/QUOTE]

Threaten to cancel, they'll lower the price for you (even as an existing customer). It's worth a shot.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494778]Yeah, I call Directv every year and threaten to cancel. We have yearly threads on this. But never got Sunday Ticket for free, they usually discount down to $140-$180.[/QUOTE]

You got the $30/month off AND free Sunday Ticket? asking

All Pro
    Another tip...

Don't bother with the general customer service as it's a waste of time. They can't or won't do anything for you. Save yourself the aggravation, and go straight to the cancellation/retention department.