Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NFL Greatest Games: 1986 Jets/Browns

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4495309]Jeez....you are old.:)[/QUOTE]

Was 10yrs old. Jets just won the SB. I thought that it would be this way forever.
    Little would I know the pain that would follow me the rest of my life being a Jets fan.
    That was the last time I cried like a little girl over a football game.
    SOJF :(
    Last edited by jetsonly; 06-20-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4495833]And Ryans going off was to the tune of 16-23-153 yds. Not really going off.[/QUOTE]

Didn't he have a couple long td's?
    I think I remember Walker scoring... who the hell knows though.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never mind.
    Just looked it up, Ryan had three td passes, all short, and none to Walker.
    Still a pretty solid game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4495834]Which is why we blame him for a game that was a complete team meltdown along with a HUGE coaching blunder that goes unblamed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Gastineau deserves a ton of blame for that play but ultimately the Jets still had a 10 point lead with just over 2 mins left. It was not entirely on him. After that play, Walton panicked. The defense immediately went to prevent, and the offense all but took a knee on every play.

Just like Buckner and Bartmann (and Doug Brien), Gastineau's blunder certainly played a role in the loss, but was not the only deciding factor.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I try to forget that game but wasn't there also a fumble that all Gastineau had to do was fall on to preserve the victory but instead he tried to scoop it up and blew the recovery?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;4496309]I try to forget that game but wasn't there also a fumble that all Gastineau had to do was fall on to preserve the victory but instead he tried to scoop it up and blew the recovery?[/QUOTE]

I believe you're thinking of the '81 wild card game vs. Buffalo.

[url]http://thejetreport.us/post/12327192612/jets-history-jets-vs-bills-shea-stadium-afc[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Toooon;4496366]I believe you're thinking of the '81 wild card game vs. Buffalo.

[url]http://thejetreport.us/post/12327192612/jets-history-jets-vs-bills-shea-stadium-afc[/url][/QUOTE]
    Yes, thanks for the correction. These losses just tend to blend together as time goes on.

Yes, Gastineau was a very big part of that loss also. What hurts most was that these errors by Gastineau were not physical errors but rather errors of him being a jerk and trying to gain individual glory over team wins. That is his legacy.

BTW I was at that game, and Shea rocked during the Jet comeback more then I have ever seen any football stadium rock.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;4496371]Yes, thanks for the correction. These losses just tend to blend together as time goes on.

Yes, Gastineau was a very big part of that loss also. What hurts most was that these errors by Gastineau were not physical errors but rather errors of him being a jerk and trying to gain individual glory over team wins. That is his legacy.

BTW I was at that game, and Shea rocked during the Jet comeback more then I have ever seen any football stadium rock.[/QUOTE]

I was there too. I sat in the Mezz box seats down the right field line, near where the foul pole would be. Jets almost came back from a 24-0 deficit caused by two early TDs by Buffalo due to Harper's fumble of a kickoff...

In the 4th qtr, particularly on the Jets final drive, you know the one... it would have won the game but ended with a Todd INT in the endzone, the stadium was shaking and the Mezz corner tier was literally bouncing up and down. I thought it would surely collapse. Very intense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;4496309]I try to forget that game but wasn't there also a fumble that all Gastineau had to do was fall on to preserve the victory but instead he tried to scoop it up and blew the recovery?[/QUOTE]

Gastineau forced a fumble in overtime, but the Jets couldn't recover. He actually talked on the doc about how upset he was over not being able to get the ball to redeem himself.

The guy was a jerk, but he definitely seems like he's been carrying a lot of the weight of losing this game on his shoulders for a long time. It's tough to have watched this doc, and come away still very angry at him (of course, I was only 8 at the time.. so my wounds weren't as deep)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;4498956]Gastineau forced a fumble in overtime, but the Jets couldn't recover. He actually talked on the doc about how upset he was over not being able to get the ball to redeem himself.

The guy was a jerk, but he definitely seems like he's been carrying a lot of the weight of losing this game on his shoulders for a long time. It's tough to have watched this doc, and come away still very angry at him (of course, I was only 8 at the time.. so my wounds weren't as deep)[/QUOTE]

People can blame anyone they want, but when the Jets melt down it's usually a team effort. :(

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495144]People want to know about the origins of "Same old Jets" - and I think you have to say that if the 1986 season didn't start it, it at least epitomized it. It was an unbelievably brutal season to experience. The highest highs and lowest lows.

Those too young to remember it should consider themselves fortunate.[/QUOTE]

I know people don't like to hear this, but this isn't the origin of SOJs. For whatever reason, Jets fans seem to think that every bad or unfortunate play is the result of a SOJ jinx. As a result, they casually dismiss every slight of the Jets, real or perceived, as a by-product of a SOJ mentality.

-There is no jinx.
    -There is no SOJs.
    -There are only SOJs fans.

The bottomline for the Jets stinking over the years has nothing to do with some sort of metaphysical SOJ intervention and everything to do with DECADES OF POOR MANAGEMENT.

The fact of the matter is that the Jets have stunk for alot of reasons, none of which have to do with the SOJs phenomenon.

The Jets won the SB in 1969 because they had a franchise QB, HOF WR, fabulous offensive line and a very tough defense. Throw in a professional FO and coaching staff and you have the recipe for SB champion.

The reason that Jets didn't win more than one SB is because the franchise QB got hurt, the FO got cheap and didn't keep key players, they drafted poorly and the defense in the early 70's got increasingly worse.

After Namath departed, the Jets failed to replace the most important position on the field for over 20 years. Todd, Obrien, Pennington, etc, have not gotten the job done. Factor in years of crappy drafts, terrible FO management and personnel decisions and horrible coaching and you get what we have had the past 40 years.

None of that has anything to do with SOJs and is all self-inflicted wounds. Pointing to a single bad play as the origins of SOJ is about as bone-headed as Gastineau's miscue. Even after that, the Jets still should have won the game as the Brown had to still march down the field twice in four minutes to score 10 points. The Jets had ample opportunities to win that game but they didn't because they didn't make any key plays down the stretch. That is the result of poor coaching, leadership and player execution and has nothing to do with SOJs.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=klecko73;4499097]I know people don't like to hear this, but this isn't the origin of SOJs. For whatever reason, Jets fans seem to think that every bad or unfortunate play is the result of a SOJ jinx. As a result, they casually dismiss every slight of the Jets, real or perceived, as a by-product of a SOJ mentality.

-There is no jinx.
    -There is no SOJs.

The bottomline for the Jets stinking over the years has nothing to do with some sort of metaphysical SOJ intervention and everything to do with DECADES OF POOR MANAGEMENT.

The fact of the matter is that the Jets have stunk for alot of reasons, none of which have to do with the SOJs phenomenon.

The Jets won the SB in 1969 because they had a franchise QB, HOF WR, fabulous offensive line and a very tough defense. Throw in a professional FO and coaching staff and you have the recipe for SB champion.

The reason that Jets didn't win more than one SB is because the franchise QB got hurt, the FO got cheap and didn't keep key players, they drafted poorly and the defense in the early 70's got increasingly worse.

After Namath departed, the Jets failed to replace the most important position on the field for over 20 years. Todd, Obrien, Pennington, etc, have not gotten the job done. Factor in years of crappy drafts, terrible FO management and personnel decisions and horrible coaching and you get what we have had the past 40 years.

None of that has anything to do with SOJs and is all self-inflicted wounds. Pointing to a single bad play as the origins of SOJ is about as bone-headed as Gastineau's miscue. Even after that, the Jets still should have won the game as the Brown had to still march down the field twice in four minutes to score 10 points. The Jets had ample opportunities to win that game but they didn't because they didn't make any key plays down the stretch. That is the result of poor coaching, leadership and player execution and has nothing to do with SOJs.[/QUOTE]

You're not following.

SOJ isn't a jinx, a hex or a curse.

It's a lifestyle.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gastineau was definitely the reason we lost that game. The team melted down from injuries over the course of the season and that played a huge part in that game, but the team was already reinvigorated.

They had made it through the slump. The rash of injuries had started to subside and we had to get some important players back. Joe Walton's choice to start Pat Ryan was genius. He sparked the team. Kenny O was an excellent QB, one of the best this organization has ever had, but he was just so beat up from the regular season pounding. Walton really had to make that move.

But in the first 11 weeks of the season? Really nobody that was a football fan had any doubt the Jets were going to win the SB. I was in NE and everyone was telling me that the Jets were unstoppable. They were simply juggernauts. They absolutely STEAMROLLED each and every opponent they faced.

The beatings were so impressive that I remember the Jets being outscored in the 4th quarter something like 130 to 3 through the first 11 games. That was because every opponent was trying to come back from 3 touchdown deficits and the Jets had all of their third stingers in the game.

In fact, the Broncos went on to face the Giants in the SB that season. However, they faced the Jets earlier in the season on a Monday night. The Jets kicked the sh*t out of them so bad, they went into half time leading 24-0.

For me, being 16 at the time, that's really what crushed me in that divisional playoff. I knew they had the good to win it all. They went through a losing streak due to a rash of injuries but they recovered. There were so many emotional swings with that team. Then, to see them lose after I was certain they were going to the AFC championship? Lets just say I suffered through many hard nights after that. It took me a long, long time to recover. Still bothers me to this day.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=klecko73;4499097]I know people don't like to hear this, but this isn't the origin of SOJs. For whatever reason, Jets fans seem to think that every bad or unfortunate play is the result of a SOJ jinx. As a result, they casually dismiss every slight of the Jets, real or perceived, as a by-product of a SOJ mentality.

-There is no jinx.
    -There is no SOJs.

None of that has anything to do with SOJs and is all self-inflicted wounds. Pointing to a single bad play as the origins of SOJ is about as bone-headed as Gastineau's miscue. Even after that, the Jets still should have won the game as the Brown had to still march down the field twice in four minutes to score 10 points. The Jets had ample opportunities to win that game but they didn't because they didn't make any key plays down the stretch. That is the result of poor coaching, leadership and player execution and has nothing to do with SOJs.[/QUOTE]

We do get more than our share of bad luck in those critical moments of playoff games, maybe the football gods are about to start to smile upon us as they seem to for our crosstown rival Giants and as they did for the Pats SB run.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember when Gastineau left the Jets high and dry early in 1988 b/c of Bridgette Nielsen and then also to pursue a boxing career (which did not last long)....it was such a jerk move on his part. He was on pace for a great season too...had 7 sacks in first 7 games then booked.

Going back to 1986, I remember our secondary being brutal even when our front line was healthy. Bud Carson was a lot like Rex in his philosophy...a lot of blitzes, cover 1 schemes but we had no talent back there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

-There is no jinx.
    -There is no SOJs.

SOOOOOO....you are saying that my signature is correct?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Worst. Jets. Loss. Ever. Period.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chops44;4495841]Never mind.
    Just looked it up, Ryan had three td passes, all short, and none to Walker.
    Still a pretty solid game.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about the Browns game, I think our first TD was a flea flicker thrown by Ryan to Walker. It was about a 48 yard TD pass if I recall correctly being there at the game in Jan of 87.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been a Jets fan since 1968, this was the most devastating loss I suffered.

I still cannot watch this game without getting upset.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4499421]I have been a Jets fan since 1968, this was the most devastating loss I suffered.

I still cannot watch this game without getting upset.[/QUOTE]

Probably right...but the 2005 loss to the Steelers ripped that wound open fresh.:steamin: