Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Greatest Games: 1986 Jets/Browns

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

NFL Greatest Games: 1986 Jets/Browns

On NFL Network now (930pm- Monday night)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We lost to Marty Schottenheimer in the playoffs. That's hard to do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I was 8 years old watching this game with dad.. I spent most of the two overtimes running to room every time the Browns lined up for a FG (think they missed a few before hitting)

Until now I haven't seen many highlights from this game, except for the Gastineau play and McNeil's 20 yard TD run, but watching now, it's amazing how quickly a lot of this game is coming back to me. Little did my 8 year old self know that this would be the last 'meaningful' playoff game the Jets played until 1998 and I was 20.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill Cowher on the sideline is killing me. Love that mullet.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Broke the table the TV was on.

**** you, Gastineau. :steamin:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    An epic choke, thanks to Gastineau and Jerry Holmes

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing you don't see from that replay is just how pathetic the Jets offense was in the overtime. It was literally like Walton & Kotite were playing for the tie that would never come.

I remember thinking for many years that I hoped Gastineau felt like crap for the rest of his life after the awful and unnecessary penalty. But I actually felt for the guy a little when I heard him say that he DID feel like crap for over a decade because of what he did (assuming it was sincere).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4495062]One thing you don't see from that replay is just how pathetic the Jets offense was in the overtime. It was literally like Walton & Kotite were playing for the tie that would never come.

I remember thinking for many years that I hoped Gastineau felt like crap for the rest of his life after the awful and unnecessary penalty. But I actually felt for the guy a little when I heard him say that he DID feel like crap for over a decade because of what he did (assuming it was sincere).[/QUOTE]

sounds like Herm in the 2004 playoffs @ Pittsburgh

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    For me, it still ranks as [I]the [/I]worst loss in Jets history. Still hurts to think about it. Only compounded by the fact that the Giants went on to Super Bowl glory a few weeks later.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495098]For me, it still ranks as [I]the [/I]worst loss in Jets history. Still hurts to think about it. Only compounded by the fact that the Giants went on to Super Bowl glory a few weeks later.[/QUOTE]

Ditto, the worse loss up until the Steeler Championship game 2 years ago. The Browns game still hurts to watch. Man, that was bad. The Jets being the Jets. Joe pick my nose Walton sucked

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495098]For me, it still ranks as [I]the [/I]worst loss in Jets history. Still hurts to think about it. Only compounded by the fact that the Giants went on to Super Bowl glory a few weeks later.[/QUOTE]

I think we would have beaten the Broncos. But im not sure we would have beatent the Giants in the SB. That would have been a horrible loss for Jets fans. Our team had too many injuries, especially on Defense. I believe Lance Mehl was out for the season and not sure Klecko would have been back for the SB.

That 1986 team was stacked, minus the horrible offensive line. If we had a half way competent coaching staff we would have won the division and maybe more.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    God I hope we start winning this living in the past has got to go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was there for this game. Jets up be 10 was the biggest hush in any stadium ever. Cleveland missing that chip shot FG in OT thought we had fate on our side, but then I realized I am a Jet fan. Still think that was Bs call on Gastineu.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;4494797]On NFL Network now (930pm- Monday night)[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/gas1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/gas2.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the crib-notes version.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4495118][IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/gas1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/gas2.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the crib-notes version.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Not funny, :mad:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of us who weren't around for this, how does this compare to the Doug Brien game?

[IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/i/magazine/new/doug_brien.jpg[/IMG]

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sec340;4495102]Ditto, the worse loss up until the Steeler Championship game 2 years ago. The Browns game still hurts to watch. Man, that was bad. The Jets being the Jets. Joe pick my nose Walton sucked[/QUOTE]

Never before or since have the Jets clutched defeat from the jaws of victory like they did that day in January 1987. Certainly not in a playoff game.

The Pittsburgh loss is crushing for very different reasons. The team didn't show up until the second half. The Cleveland 2OT debacle was an all-time classic choke job.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495129]For those of us who weren't around for this, how does this compare to the Doug Brien game?

[IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/i/magazine/new/doug_brien.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

McNeil scored a TD to put the Jets up 10 with 4:14 left in regulation.

It was the nail in the coffin. The game was over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495135]Never before or since have the Jets clutched defeat from the jaws of victory like they did that day in January 1987. Certainly not in a playoff game.

The Pittsburgh loss is crushing for very different reasons. The team didn't show up until the second half. The Cleveland 2OT debacle was an all-time classic choke job.[/QUOTE]

Up by 10 with 2:20 and having the opponent inside their 20 and 2nd and 24 is a choke of monstrous proportions

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;4495139]Up by 10 with 2:20 and having the opponent inside their 20 and 2nd and 24 is a choke of monstrous proportions[/QUOTE]

People want to know about the origins of "Same old Jets" - and I think you have to say that if the 1986 season didn't start it, it at least epitomized it. It was an unbelievably brutal season to experience. The highest highs and lowest lows.

Those too young to remember it should consider themselves fortunate.