Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL Greatest Games: 1986 Jets/Browns

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495138]McNeil scored a TD to put the Jets up 10 with 4:14 left in regulation.

It was the nail in the coffin. The game was over.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;4495139]Up by 10 with 2:20 and having the opponent inside their 20 and 2nd and 24 is a choke of monstrous proportions[/QUOTE]

I am aware of what happened and the circumstances. Although I have never watched the game, I have read about it numerous times.

What I wanted to know was how it compared from a heartbreak standpoint. My guess is that it was worse. But not having lived it in real time, I will never truly know.

I think I might DVR this one. There are certain games that I will never watch again like the Denver game and the Doug Brien game. I think that if I was around for this one, I would probably not watch it as well.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495144]People want to know about the origins of "Same old Jets" - and I think you have to say that if the 1986 season didn't start it, it at least epitomized it. It was an unbelievably brutal season to experience. The highest highs and lowest lows.

Those too young to remember it should consider themselves fortunate.[/QUOTE]

I remember being 10-1 that year & destroying John Elway on Monday night football Marty Lyons sacking John Elway for a safety. then losing our next 5 games and settling for a wild card.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495149]I am aware of what happened and the circumstances. Although I have never watched the game, I have read about it numerous times.

What I wanted to know was how it compared from a heartbreak standpoint. My guess is that it was worse. But not having lived it in real time, I will never truly know.

I think I might DVR this one. There are certain games that I will never watch again like the Denver game and the Doug Brien game. I think that if I was around for this one, I would probably not watch it as well.[/QUOTE]

Jets losing in the mud bowl because Don "rules committee" Shula was watering down prior to forecasted torrential rain the field to slow down the Jets was the worst for me.

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495144]People want to know about the origins of "Same old Jets" - and I think you have to say that if the 1986 season didn't start it, it at least epitomized it. It was an unbelievably brutal season to experience. The highest highs and lowest lows.

Absolutely, pure torture and don't forget we were ridiculed by the national and local media(funny how some things never end) the last month of the season because Paul McGuire(Douche) predicted we would lose our last 5 games and we did. Everyone buried us while failing to acknowledge our numerous debilitating injuries, especially on the O and D lines. A typical disrespect always reserved for our Jets

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495149]I am aware of what happened and the circumstances. Although I have never watched the game, I have read about it numerous times.

I think I might DVR this one. There are certain games that I will never watch again like the Denver game and the Doug Brien game. I think that if I was around for this one, I would probably not watch it as well.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps I wasn't clear. It was materially worse.

Pittsburgh/Herm/Brien is in the pantheon of brutal losses, but we never had the game "won". It is also softened by the fact that we had absolutely no chance of going to New England and being competitive the following week. Our TDs came off of a punt return and an INT return. We were lucky to be in a position to win in Pittsburgh. At least that is how I helped rationalize the bitterness of the loss. Conversely, there was no rationalizing the Cleveland 2OT game. It was raw, unadulterated misery.
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 06-19-2012 at 10:52 AM.

All Pro
    This is a very painful thread:(

Rookie
    The playoff loss to KC the year after winning the SB was a killer :steamin:

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495158]Perhaps I wasn't clear. It was materially worse.

Pittsburgh/Herm/Brien is in the pantheon of brutal losses, but we never had the game "won". It is also softened by the fact that we had absolutely no chance of going to New England and being competitive the following week. Our TDs came off of a punt return and an INT return. We were lucky to be in a position to win in Pittsburgh. At least that is how I helped rationalize the bitterness of the loss. Conversely, there was no rationalizing the Cleveland 2OT game. It was raw, unadulterated misery.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this is perfectly stated.

No playoff loss compares in my view, as in none of the four championship games did the Jets actually have the game won late in the 4th.

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495098]For me, it still ranks as [I]the [/I]worst loss in Jets history. Still hurts to think about it. Only compounded by the fact that the Giants went on to Super Bowl glory a few weeks later.[/QUOTE]

I agree! I couldn't sleep for a week after the game.

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;4495158]Perhaps I wasn't clear. It was materially worse.

Pittsburgh/Herm/Brien is in the pantheon of brutal losses, but we never had the game "won". It is also softened by the fact that we had absolutely no chance of going to New England and being competitive the following week. Our TDs came off of a punt return and an INT return. We were lucky to be in a position to win in Pittsburgh. At least that is how I helped rationalize the bitterness of the loss. Conversely, there was no rationalizing the Cleveland 2OT game. It was raw, unadulterated misery.[/QUOTE]

Well said. Part of the pain of this game was the entire season leading up to it. From 10-1 and being discussed as the best team in football to an inconceivable string of injuries, a humiliating 0-5 stretch to end the season, an improbable wildcard playoff win with our backup QB starting, and then Charley Steiner's premature "The Jets are going to the championship game" followed by Gastineau and then Walton putting the offense in the tank. The icing on the cake was the Giants winning the SB. I was only a teenager but that season wrecked me for years to come.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;4495139]Up by 10 with 2:20 and having the opponent inside their 20 and 2nd and 24 is a choke of monstrous proportions[/QUOTE]

Would have been 3rd and 24. Hold 'em to 23 yards on two plays, take 3 knees and punt. :(

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/uspw_3890983.jpg[/IMG]

Precisely.

Open the year 10-1, lose 5 straight, put together a nice 8 quarter playoff run, BOOM Mark Gastineau ruins our lives for a decade.

I hate that bastard. When he dies, I'm going to mix me a Thermos full of Captain Morgan & Diet Coke and do a sack dance on his grave shouting [I]"Roughing the passer! Number 99! First down! Roughing the passer! Number 99! First down! Roughing the passer! Number 99! First down!"[/I] until security finds me and throws me out.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    SAR, I think he is going to outlive you.

:eek:

[QUOTE=Sec340;4495102]Ditto, the worse loss up until the Steeler Championship game 2 years ago. The Browns game still hurts to watch. Man, that was bad. The Jets being the Jets. Joe pick my nose Walton sucked[/QUOTE]

Arguably...ALL 3 AFC champ losses, 98, 2009, 2010 sucked as in 2 of them , we had a 10 point half time lead and PITT we could have won. I am still fuming over the Jan 2005 loss to PITT.

The 1986 loss, while totally disappointing, seemed to fit the SOJ mold. Little did we know, SOJ would take a 12 year vacation.

Are you saying that Chad would have lost a shoot out to Brady???? Link?:P

[QUOTE=jetsonly;4495183]The playoff loss to KC the year after winning the SB was a killer :steamin:[/QUOTE]

Jeez....you are old.:)

Bewildered Beast

Ten-and-one; Kenny
    pass rush finding the QB
    Paul McGwire. Oh God

Bewildered Beast

Severe heartbreak; that was it for the 80's Jets. since 81 we were due; and with klecko hobbled, and Gastineau being a bonehead, I knew it was over over over.

over

Paulie Mac gloating; Bills booming

kill me now

Jets Insider VIP

Right here.....Word.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495129]For those of us who weren't around for this, how does this compare to the Doug Brien game?

[IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/i/magazine/new/doug_brien.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

not even close. this cleveland loss was awful beyond words. smashed the crap out of my dashboard.