Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Is winning the division too much of a stretch?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4495646]I'm only gonna say this one time .. Because I hate to admit it. The Pats D is VASTLY underrated. Most of the yardage against them come in garbage time when teams are trying to catch up and they are in an almost prevent mode.[/QUOTE]

They let up a **** ton of yardage, but the only defensive statistic that matters -- POINTS ALLOWED -- was around #20, so they weren't as bad as many people thought. Now add two young explosive LB's to create pressure into the mix.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=124;4495652]They let up a **** ton of yardage, but the only defensive statistic that matters -- POINTS ALLOWED -- was around #20, so they weren't as bad as many people thought. Now add two young explosive LB's to create pressure into the mix.[/QUOTE]

I agree ... They could be scary good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4495600]Haha. Touche.

Can't you be a mod for a day and ban this fool?[/QUOTE]

I have one account. This is why you're winning the troll poll (that rhymed) by a landslide now. You're begging for people to be banned like a sissy. No one likes you dude. You've fallen flat on your face and you've been called out by PAts and Jet fans alike for being a troll. This is a football forum for folks to talk football and you try to turn it into soap opera. No one on this forum has respect for you. You're slowly turning into what you try to call out every chance you get ....

On another note ... great thread going on where people are actually talking Football. Thank god for that ... Whether we agree or disagree and the omnipotent one's flex too much of their genius muscles by talking as if they know everything gets annoying ... doesn't matter cause its football talk. RIP Jordy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4495440]What's your point?[/QUOTE]

I thought that you meant to infer that the pats would no longer be in the hunt for the division title without Brady, I mentioned that in the 6 years prior to him coming here they won the division 3 times with Bledsoe

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patman;4495656]I thought that you meant to infer that the pats would no longer be in the hunt for the division title without Brady, I mentioned that in the 6 years prior to him coming here they won the division 3 times with Bledsoe[/QUOTE]

I for one, cannot wait until the post Brady era.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4495660]I for one, cannot wait until the post Brady era.[/QUOTE]

There will be party favors and cake.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4495655]No one likes you dude. You've fallen flat on your face and you've been called out by PAts and Jet fans alike for being a troll. This is a football forum for folks to talk football and you try to turn it into soap opera. No one on this forum has respect for you. You're slowly turning into what you try to call out every chance you get .... y[/QUOTE]

I like Jordy and respect him a great deal.

so he's got that going for him,

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4495600]Haha. Touche.

Can't you be a mod for a day and ban this fool?[/QUOTE]

Only in dreams it seems.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4494815]Is winning the division too much of a stretch?.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. This is why the Jets suck. Two division titles since the AFC/NFC merger. And they want how much for tickets? :rolleyes: Going to the AFC Championship Game two years in a row is a great achievement for any team, but for crying out loud, lets win the AFC East every couple of seasons. There`s only 3 other teams they need to be better than.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not expecting the Jets to win the AFC East, but I do believe that we can. We could be on the verge of fielding our strongest defense under the Rex Ryan era; which is a scary thought.

I also believe, now that Shotty is gone, that we'll actually feature an offense that can not only pick up first downs without going 4-7 drives before doing so, but also putting up 7-10 points from time to time during the first quarter; which seemed to be impossible under Shotty Jr. Sanchez has improved during each of his first 3 seasons thus far, hopefully with Sparano, an improved running game with Tebow as the Wildcat center piece, more speed on the offense ala Stephen Hill in replace of Burress, a dynamic talent in McKnight in replace of an aging Tomlinson, Kerley over Mason coming out of the slot, Chaz etc, etc hopefully we'll see our best offense since Ryan has been here as well.

To me, it's simple. Just obvious football 101. If we're to take the AFC East away from the Patriots, we must sweep both the Bills and Dolphins and at least split with the Patriots. A 5-1 division record could really give us a chance to win the division.

I'm just looking forward to a lot of different aspects of this team. Wilkerson, Pouha and Coples sounds beastly. Having backups such as DeVito and Ellis give us solid depth inside the trenches. Being able to switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 due to our defensive line could become key in regards to switching it up against the Patriots. If healthy, we've yet to see a safety duo that's as talented as Bell/Landry. And on the offensive side? I'm most looking forward to Sanchez working with an actual offensive coordinator in Sparano, who understands the game of football in regards to situational coaching. I'm also looking forward to, as mentioned before, the overall speed that we now feature on the offensive side of the ball. And I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of Tebow quarterbacking under Center, but I am a fan of Tebow being the center piece of an unstoppable wildcat offense. This package could become very tough for opposing teams to stop on 2nd/3rd and short types of situations. Brad Smith was never a threat to throw the ball (6 career pass attempts). Tim Tebow on the other hand? A dual QB who can run (or throw). And unlike Brad Smith, Tebow is a mack-truck in regards to trying to bring down. Tebow rushing the football behind Nick Mangold? Forget about it. Because of Tebow, I think we'll see a healthy, and fresh Shonn Greene this up coming season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4495693]I also believe, now that Shotty is gone, that we'll actually feature an offense that can not only pick up first downs without going 4-7 drives before doing so, but also putting up 7-10 points from time to time during the first quarter; which seemed to be impossible under Shotty Jr. Sanchez has improved during each of his first 3 seasons thus far, hopefully with Sparano, an improved running game with Tebow as the Wildcat center piece, more speed on the offense ala Stephen Hill in replace of Burress, a dynamic talent in McKnight in replace of an aging Tomlinson, Kerley over Mason coming out of the slot, Chaz etc, etc hopefully we'll see our best offense since Ryan has been here as well.[/QUOTE]

Look, I'm just as glad as everyone else that Schotty is gone.

But what the hell does his playcalling have to do with Sanchez overthrowing guys by 10+ yards, skipping the ball at his receivers feet, and making some of the worst decisions with the ball that I've seen?

Our success on offense and as a team all rides on Sanchez improving as a QB. As of right now, he's one of the most erratic, inaccurate starting QB's in the league until he proves otherwise.

I don't know how the hell you could be so confident in our backfield either. With LT now gone, we don't have a single back on this roster that can so much as catch a cold or hold their own in pass protection. Greene is a one dimensional inside runner with no receiving skills whatsoever, McKnight is still very much unproven with a knack for putting the ball on the ground, and Powell/Ganaway are total unknowns.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that people forgot how good this team can be. We had a "disaster" season and went 8-8. Unless the defense falls off a cliff, we're not going to be worse than 8-8.

If you have a top 3 defense and you can just get a top 12-16 offense, that's going to give you 11 wins. This has been the Ravens' formula for a decade, and it works. They just haven't been able to get the offense to perform in crucial spots in the playoffs. It's usually been the QB's fault, last year it was a WR.

If the offense can just be average, we'll be back in the 9-11 wins range.

And Ruby is right about the Bills. People are always looking for the team that's going to make the huge improvement. And that team that makes the big free agent signings always the makes the massive improvement...........right?

Jackson got hurt last year, but he played 10 games and Spiller averaged 5.2 ypc for the year. It's not like they lost their running game when he went down.

For some reason, the Jets 0-3 finish is representative of what team they are. Yet the Bills 1-7 finish is not representative of what team they are. They lost 4 games by 27 or more points in that stretch. The Bills got off to a hot start, and then were TERRIBLE for the rest of the year.

The Dolphins were the AFC East team with the momentum at the end of last year (excluding the Pats). Their defense was fantastic over the last 8 games. The Bills were -62 in point differential (22nd), which translates to a 6-10 record using pythagorean wins, which is exactly where they finished. The Dolphins were +16 (14th), which would translate to 8-8. They had some bad luck last year. We were +14 (15th), which also translates to 8-8.

And since people are going to scream "Mario Williams!", "Super" Mario played for a bottom 10 defense in 4 of his 5 seasons before last year, when he spent most of the year on IR. He isn't going to make or break a defense. Kind of like Jared Allen, who, great as he is, was never nearly as important to Minnesota's defense as the "Williams Wall."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4495567]

this season they should do much better and i can see them going 12-4 or even 13-3.

[/QUOTE]

The Jets are a mediocre 8-8 football team who improved less than any other team in the AFCE.

Yet you still see them winning 12 or 13 games?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not a stretch at all. Just chalk up last season to losing in order to win.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and to answer the OP's question:

No, we're not winning the division. I'll say what I said going into last year. I expect the Patriots to be better next year than they were this year, even if their record is a game or two worse (though I'm not sure how it could be considering the schedule).

We'll need 14 wins, minimum to even have a shot. I could very easily pencil in the Patriots to go 15-1 right now. I think there's no chance that they win less than 13.

Brady already got hurt once, I'm not counting on it happening again.

McDaniels is back. I love the Lloyd signing. I like Ridley in the backfield. I liked the Hightower pick in the draft (Jones, not so much). This is the most I've liked a Pats team in a few years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    winning the division??

PUT IT IN THE BOOKS

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patman;4495656]I thought that you meant to infer that the pats would no longer be in the hunt for the division title without Brady, I mentioned that in the 6 years prior to him coming here they won the division 3 times with Bledsoe[/QUOTE]

Nope I was implying that they were nothing special before Brady, and that from one year to the next teams turn into something special. Nobody, and I mean nobody saw the Pats coming. If Sanchez takes the step I believe he will once he's out from under the completely wrong system for him(I'm being nice, and assuming someone may be right for the system), then we could surprise a lot of people. We have a great team, that has won a lot of games, with a very inconsistent offense. If Sparano works that out, we will be right there every year. We already were one step away twice, with serious inconsistencies. At times we were unbeatable, then the wheels would come off. It would be ignorant to say we don't have a chance to be special if just a few things come together. It would also be ignorant to say we can't fall apart, but there is reason for hope. There's also reason to believe the Pats run will end eventually, and the clock is now ticking.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4495724]Look, I'm just as glad as everyone else that Schotty is gone.

But what the hell does his playcalling have to do with Sanchez overthrowing guys by 10+ yards, skipping the ball at his receivers feet, and making some of the worst decisions with the ball that I've seen?
    [/QUOTE]

It potentially could have a lot to do with Schotty. Holmes and other offensive players have recently been quoted as saying Sparano's passing game runs routes that don't pre-determine where Sanchez is going to throw the ball, and allow him to make adjustments at the LOS. I think it was a Vrentas article™

Under Schittyball, it sure looks like Sanchez was told where to go and he had to try to force it. That's never how you want a young QB to develop, it explains why Bri Bri has been terrible at developing QB's, and explains why Sanchez is so awful at going through his progressions unless in the two minute drill. When you play tight and feel like everything you do has to be scripted and complicated, you make mistakes.

Who knows, maybe Sanchez is that inaccurate. But I think a lot of it had to do with Schitty's sphinchter-tight coaching style and inflexible "1 read or sack" route calls. Again, we'll find out.

Btw welcome back DWC!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4495754]Nope I was implying that they were nothing special before Brady, and that from one year to the next teams turn into something special. Nobody, and I mean nobody saw the Pats coming. If Sanchez takes the step I believe he will once he's out from under the completely wrong system for him(I'm being nice, and assuming someone may be right for the system), then we could surprise a lot of people. We have a great team, that has won a lot of games, with a very inconsistent offense. If Sparano works that out, we will be right there every year. We already were one step away twice, with serious inconsistencies. At times we were unbeatable, then the wheels would come off. It would be ignorant to say we don't have a chance to be special if just a few things come together. It would also be ignorant to say we can't fall apart, but there is reason for hope. There's also reason to believe the Pats run will end eventually, and the clock is now ticking.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Pats or Brady were special right away. They won that first Super Bowl, but no one really thought they were the best team that year. That Super Bowl has sort of become "validated" over the years. Brady was solid and came up big in the right moments, and the defense was the epitome of "bend but don't break" (24th in yards allowed, 6th in points allowed; which is a bit much, even by Belichick standards).

The missed the playoffs the next year. The year after they had the best defense in the league, which got them to the Super Bowl. Then Tom Brady became the Brady we know today, with that performance against the Panthers. 2004, they put the whole thing together and became a juggernaut. Elite offense, elite defense. A team that really had no weakness.

The defense and running game backslid in 2005. They bounced back in 2006, where they would have won another Super Bowl against the Bears, but....

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s187/WiscoN9ner/Caldwell.jpg[/IMG]

They were the best team by a mile in 2007. One of the great offenses of all time paired with a top 5 defense. But...

[IMG]http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/679/886/79498909_display_image.jpg?1296444238[/IMG]

and...

[IMG]http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/19-0.jpg[/IMG]

(You know, for a team that everyone, including myself, thinks has been incredibly lucky; the Patriots have caught their fair share of bad breaks over the years)

They haven't been the same team since then, as the talent level on defense has greatly diminished. Still, Brady is good enough to keep them among the league's best teams, and Belichick is usually able to scheme a defense that isn't a team killer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4495766]I don't think the Pats or Brady were special right away. They won that first Super Bowl, but no one really thought they were the best team that year. That Super Bowl has sort of become "validated" over the years. Brady was solid and came up big in the right moments, and the defense was the epitome of "bend but don't break" (24th in yards allowed, 6th in points allowed; which is a bit much, even by Belichick standards).

The missed the playoffs the next year. The year after they had the best defense in the league, which got them to the Super Bowl. Then Tom Brady became the Brady we know today, with that performance against the Panthers. 2004, they put the whole thing together and became a juggernaut. Elite offense, elite defense. A team that really had no weakness.

The defense and running game backslid in 2005. They bounced back in 2006, where they would have won another Super Bowl against the Bears, but....

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s187/WiscoN9ner/Caldwell.jpg[/IMG]

They were the best team by a mile in 2007. One of the great offenses of all time paired with a top 5 defense. But...

[IMG]http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/679/886/79498909_display_image.jpg?1296444238[/IMG]

and...

[IMG]http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/19-0.jpg[/IMG]

(You know, for a team that everyone, including myself, thinks has been incredibly lucky; the Patriots have caught their fair share of bad breaks over the years)

They haven't been the same team since then, as the talent level on defense has greatly diminished. Still, Brady is good enough to keep them among the league's best teams, and Belichick is usually able to scheme a defense that isn't a team killer.[/QUOTE]

Yet there are many people that not only believe, but guarantee that they will not lose the division even once until they lose Brady or Belicheck. Those same people guaranteed that the Giants would win the Super bowl when they were 7-7. That's just conjecture, because they have such confidence in themselves, that they must always be right.