Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is winning the division too much of a stretch?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4495003]The Jets will never win the division while Brady and Bellichek are around.

Brady getting injured wont even matter. We went through that in 08 and they still finished ahead of us.

The Pats own us and until Brady and bellichek are gone, the best we can do is a wild card.[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget the Pats couldn't win anything until Brady came out of nowhere. We can't win the division until we do, and then The Pats(and Belicheck) can go back to failing. Belicheck may be smart enough to ride off into the sunset with Brady, but I hope not. Sanchez is better than you think, and I believe Sparano, or any other competent OC will bring it out of him. We will see, but this could very well be the year. I could be wrong, but there's plenty of reason to be optimistic. Besides if you can't believe, then what's the point?

Don't overlook Buffalo. They have improved their defense (on paper) this offseason. In terms of the Pats, if the o-line holds up and the defense is middle of the pack, I see the Pats going deep into the playoffs again.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4495024]I'm pissed I didn't reach the 50% majority.[/QUOTE]

You've obviously lost your touch. You used to have the gift of the leper and be able to ward off and repulse us with much more ease. Now you're merely as irritating as a common cold. :)

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4495033]Don't forget the Pats couldn't win anything until Brady came out of nowhere. We can't win the division until we do, and then The Pats(and Belicheck) can go back to failing. [/QUOTE]

Because the Jets won it once since 1968 before Brady? If you're going to use the past, then the Pats should win it 5 times as many times....
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 06-19-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: wrong date

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4495033]Don't forget the Pats couldn't win anything until Brady came out of nowhere. [B]We can't win the division until we do[/B], and then The Pats(and Belicheck) can go back to failing.[/QUOTE]

Until we do what? Come out of nowhere? :confused:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=CleatMarks;4495038]Because the Jets won it once since 1968 before Brady? If you're going to use the past, then the Pats should win it 5 times as many times....[/QUOTE]

Just using them as an example, because they're in the discussion, but they were nothing, before they were, and if I, (along with a lot of other people) am right about Shotty's offense, then with a competent OC, we could be a lot better than people think. We have a better team than the Pats. They just have a better QB and offensive scheme. Don't bring up 2008 because we weren't a better team then. Well we have reason to be optimistic that things will change this year. That's all I'm saying.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;4495051]Until we do what? Come out of nowhere? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I think it was clear. We can't win the division until we do(win the division) is that better?

All Pro
    Since Brady became the starting QB the Pats have won the AFC East 9 out of 11 years, and both times they didn't they lost on a tiebreaker (in 2002 to the Jets in 2008 to the Fish.)

It's just hard to imagine the Jets having a better record than the Pats barring injury. If Brady missed substantial time or if the Pats were just littered with injuries (i.e. Gronk, Welker, Mankins all miss substantial time) it could certainly happen, but if both teams remain relativley healthy I don't see it.

The AFC East has a relatively easy schedule and I think that means the Jets could have a successful season (I see 10 wins) but since the same goes for the Pats, that means they should easily replicate a 13-15 win season.

Our only chance to really overtake them (not win the division on injuries or a fluke) would be if our defense reverts to 2009 form and Sanchez takes a massive step forward and plays like a borderline Pro-Bowler -- even then we'd have to play with a level of consistency we haven't really seen under Rex... A level of consistency the Pats always play with.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Gata;4494834]We're going to have a good season at the most we'll probably go 12-4

But this yr the Pats have an easy schedule so inevitably they'll take it :([/QUOTE]

12-4!?!?!?!?

LOL Yeah ok.....the Jets won't even make the playoffs.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Wiggy;4495066]12-4!?!?!?!?

LOL Yeah ok.....the Jets won't even make the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Well if "Wiggy" says so we might as well not even show up for the season. I mean, how often is the almighty "Wiggy" wrong about these things?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    All depends on O, and ST. The division is always up for grabs Patriots have had no competition for years must be nice.

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4495059]I think it was clear. We can't win the division until we do(win the division) is that better?[/QUOTE]

Sure. If by better you mean really dumb.

In a word: Yes.

Jets Insider VIP
    thanks for posting, wiggy and cleatmarks

I had slipped up and not included you two chowd troll jerks on my ignore list

corrected now

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=Wiggy;4495066]12-4!?!?!?!?

LOL Yeah ok.....the Jets won't even make the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

An easy statement to make going on past history, but you never know the worm could turn this year.

[QUOTE=Austin;4495064]Our only chance to really overtake them (not win the division on injuries or a fluke) would be if our defense reverts to 2009 form and Sanchez takes a massive step forward and plays like a borderline Pro-Bowler -- even then we'd have to play with a level of consistency we haven't really seen under Rex... A level of consistency the Pats always play with.[/QUOTE]

The best part about this statement is that I believe it's actually possible.

The Jets were a dominant defense in '09 because of two things - a good defensive mind calling the plays, and an attacking style that was somewhat different to opponents. I think the changes the Jets are making on that side of the ball can lead to a similar result, if some of the younger guys step up their game.

Same with Sanchez...it definitely sounds like he's focused this year. Does that focus translate into an even more efficient version of the guy who played very well against NE in 2 out of the 3 games in 2010? If so, the Jets will be a handful for any opponent.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4494969]One fluke playoff game. :rolleyes:

The Jets haven't finished with more wins than the Pats in the AFCE in over 12 years.

2012 will be no exception.

BTW, will Sanchez still be a rookie QB this year?[/QUOTE]

Fluke... LOL... whatever makes you feel better...

Jets have finished behind the Pats 1 time in the last 3 years.

Rex > Belichick

Suck on it, troll!!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;4495081]Sure. If by better you mean really dumb.[/QUOTE]

Did you just wake up? I mean really? I expect a little more creativity out of you

In all honestly, a lot will be determined in the first half of the season. With the second half schedule the way it is, a 6-2 finish isn't out of the question. However if the first eight games go how many think it will, 3-5 or 4-4, then the division will once again be New England's. Buffalo isn't sniffing the division either. The Jets will beat them Week 1 with relative ease, but Week 17, when Buffalo has their new pieces all together, may be for a Wild Card spot.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

As much as I hate to say this and hope that i'm wrong, I believe its a huge stretch that we win the division.

It's a QB league and the top QB's last year all won the division pretty easily. Brady, Brees and Rodgers.

Then you have guys like Eli who also won the division, Big Ben who made the wildcard at 12-4, Stafford who made the wild card in a tough division, etc, etc, etc..

Our mid level QB is not beating one of the best QB's in the league in a division race. Brady is still playing at a high level and we havent come close to winning the division while Brady is at this level.

I hope i'm wrong but to answer the OP's question, it's a big stretch.