Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Is winning the division too much of a stretch?

All Pro
    The issue of schedule is probably more relevant to the WC race than the division.

Until we see otherwise, you have to reckon that the AFC North is the strongest overall of the four AFC divisions and at least one WC team will come from there. However, the AFC North teams match up against the NFC East, while the AFC East get the NFC West this time round. I'd say that's an advantage this year in favour of the AFC East. I don't see both WC teams coming from the AFC North this year.

If we assume one AFC North team gets one spot, who gets the remaining one? As above, AFC East plays NFC West, and although that division is not as weak as in recent years, it's definitely preferable to having the NFC North (Packers, Bears, rising Lions) and possibly the NFC South (Atlanta, rising Panthers - Saints a big ? this year). And I don't see true powerhouse teams in the AFC South or West as things stand (second best in AFC South would probably be the Titans, and in the West it's a toss up between Denver and SD).

So can the Jets do better over the season than the likes of the Titans / Denver / San Diego? I'd say so. Beyond that - if we really want to win the division - we have to AT LEAST sweep Buffalo and Miami and split with NE. Even that would leave us needing to better NE on the non-divisional games, which is always going to be a big ask. Can we sweep NE - even if we drop one to say Buffalo? (Works better on the head to head vs. NE). At the moment, I don't see enough of a change by us to suggest so - I think if we split we'll have done very, very well.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4494848]But you don't discuss, you dismiss.

Try and think of reasons why the Jets could possibly win the division, without sounding completely biased. Just try.[/QUOTE]

Either Brady get hurt and missis more that 2/3 of the season or a combination of the Sanchez playing much better with no jet injuries and key patriot injuries the jets can win the division.

1. Brady goes down for the year in the first 6 games of the year OR- a combination of 3 of the 4 below.

2. McCourty does not return to his rookie form and Dowling and Chung both miss much of the season again.

3. Wilfork or Mayo both miss most of the season.

4. Sanchez passing results are 30 tds 10 turnovers and 3750 yds while greene goes over 1100

5 no serious injuries to the jets (more than 3 games)

The combination of Sanchez going 3:1, The pats secondary continuing to play like last year, Wilfork or Mayo being out for the year and no serious jet injuries, I think both the pats and Jets will finish 10-6.

If you look at the Pats schedule they could easily lose 5-6 games this season:

[B]Titans L (I could see CJ2K running all over their D)
    @ Bal L
    @ Buf L (Bills beat them at home last season and this year they have Mario and Mark Anderson rushing the passer)
    Den L (Broncos have a nice D + Peyton)
    Texans L
    49ers L
    Jets (probably split with us)[/B]

Phins are at least a couple years away (6-10 next season) (Moore isn't that good, Tannehill is at least 2 yrs away from being ready)

Bills are probably looking at an 8-8 or 9-7 season with Vince Young eventually taking over for Fitzpatrick.

[B]Bottom Line: AFC East will probably come down to both the Jets and Pats going 10-6 or 11-5 and then tie-breakers will figure in.[/B]

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4494881]LOL

Yeah, no way the Jets surpasses NE, they didn't do it just two years ago, beat them in their house in the playoffs, with a rookie QB

No way... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

One fluke playoff game. :rolleyes:

The Jets haven't finished with more wins than the Pats in the AFCE in over 12 years.

2012 will be no exception.

BTW, will Sanchez still be a rookie QB this year?

I think the Jets D will improve and challenge the Pats. The key is the offense.

This means Sanchez must rise to the next level (i.e., reading defenses, improving completion % and reducing turnovers), pass protection and deep passes must improve and they have to be able to run the ball consistently.

If all of these things happen then they will have a shot at winning the division...unfortunately, this is not a trivial set of goals.

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4494894]I'm not expecting us to win the AFC East this season, but I am expecting our most complete team (on both sides of the ball) that we've featured during Ryan's tenure here. Because of that, I feel that we can at the very least give NE a run for their money in regards to which team wins the division.

I'll continue to give NE the edge over the Jets (heading into the season) for as long as Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are running the team. Why wouldn't I? They've won the AFC East time and time again. It's getting old now.

Last year NE went 13-3 despite the fact that NE featured a laughing stock defense with plenty of defensive injuries. They drafted defense during the draft, they'll return players who went down last year (especially throughout the secondary) and those younger players on defense will all have more experience when compared to last year. I'm expecting a much improved NE defense. Not expecting a top 5 or even top 13 defense, but I am expecting a much improved NE defense when compared to last years disaster.

On offense, as long as NE features Tom Brady as their starting Quarterback... They should not only be respected, but also feared as an offense. Once you factor in Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski? They're pretty much impossible to shut down. It's hard enough just trying to contain these guys with Brady reading opposing D's. Man, that's just a great trio of pass catching talents. They've also Picked up Brandon Lloyd, who led the league in receiving yards back in only 2010. Branch is still a veteran WR in which has plenty of experience working with Brady. Last but not least, you always have to account for Danny Woodhead coming out of the slot. It'll be hard keeping these guys under 31 points per game.

The good news? We won't have to worry about this franchise for too much longer. Bill Belichick is now 60 years old while Tom Brady will turn 35 by season's start. I know we say this during every offseason, but Brady will decline sooner rather than later. Hopefully he doesn't make it to 38 (on the football field).[/QUOTE]

I do not think you can compare this offense to the offense in 2010 with LT, Edwards, and Woody and the linebackers were two years younger.

In the NFL don't even look 3 years down the road. Brady might not be there but neither will 2/3 of the starters on both teams.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4494843]If Brady were to get injured maybe.[/QUOTE]

... unfortunately this :yes: ...

l_j_r

Banned
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4494968]

If you look at the Pats schedule they could easily lose 5-6 games this season:

[/QUOTE]

If the Pats lose more than 2 games this year, it will be a disappointing season.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4494982]If the Pats lose more than 2 games this year, it will be a disappointing season.[/QUOTE]

Pats = super high powered passing game, fair to poor running game, but enough to keep defenses honest, and mediocre to bad defense. Pats will outscore vast majority of opponents in high scoring contests. 10 - 11 wins.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4494982]If the Pats lose more than 2 games this year, it will be a disappointing season.[/QUOTE]

44.9% and counting...:rolleyes:

It will be a disappointing season for a blind homer like you but for anyone who's objective or realistic it won't be a disappointment. The 2011 Pats had the benefit of a cake schedule and the Ravens' kicker having a mental meltdown in the playoffs. They were one of the worst teams to ever sneak into a super bowl and even then they had a chance to win it but Welker choked.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4494969]One fluke playoff game. :rolleyes:

The Jets haven't finished with more wins than the Pats in the AFCE in over 12 years.

2012 will be no exception.

BTW, will Sanchez still be a rookie QB this year?[/QUOTE]

Oh stop...it was only one game because you kept getting knocked out in the first round before you could get to us.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Jets will never win the division while Brady and Bellichek are around.

Brady getting injured wont even matter. We went through that in 08 and they still finished ahead of us.

The Pats own us and until Brady and bellichek are gone, the best we can do is a wild card.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... on the glass 1/2 full side ...

... we very easily can make it in as a wildcard team ... if it comes to a 1 game playoff match-up we have shown a better ability than most to beat NE since rex got here ... if we do make it then sanchez likely will not have been killed by RT play and will have picked his game up a reasonable level ...

... we certainly could be the team hot at the right time ... heading into the playoffs this year ...

... if our ?'s have not been answered affirmatively it won't matter ...

BUT

... if the jets are playing reasonably well ...

... @seattle after the bye, pats at home, @ tenn are coinflips ...

:yes:[B][U][CENTER][SIZE="6"][COLOR="Red"]ALL OTHER GAMES IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE SEASON WE'D BE FAVORED IN[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER][/U][/B] :yes:

last 1/2 of the season

Week 08 Miami Dolphins
    Sun, 10/28 at 1:00 PM EDT
    Home: MetLife Stadium

Week 09 Bye

Week 10 @ Seattle Seahawks
    Sun, 11/11 at 4:05 PM EST
    Away: CenturyLink Field

Week 11 @ St. Louis Rams
    Sun, 11/18 at 1:00 PM EST
    Away: Edward Jones Dome

Week 12 New England Patriots
    Thu, 11/22 at 8:20 PM EST

Week 13 Arizona Cardinals
    Sun, 12/02 at 1:00 PM EST

Week 14 @ Jacksonville Jaguars
    Sun, 12/09 at 1:00 PM EST
    Away: EverBank Field

Week 15 @ Tennessee Titans
    Mon, 12/17 at 8:30 PM EST
    Away: LP Field

Week 16 San Diego Chargers
    Sun, 12/23 at 8:20 PM EST

Week 17 @ Buffalo Bills
    Sun, 12/30 at 1:00 PM EST
    Away: Ralph Wilson Stadium

8-8 or 9-7 does not win the AFC east.
    so no.

Jets Insider VIP
    you keep rooting hard for your Pats and hope your prediction is correct, srobpats

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

And the Giants can lose 7 and be Super Bowl champs..:yes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4494993]44.9% and counting...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm pissed I didn't reach the 50% majority.

Banned
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4494997] They were one of the worst teams to ever sneak into a super bowl and even then they had a chance to win it but Welker choked.[/QUOTE]

One of the worst teams to "sneak" into the Super Bowl? :rolleyes:

You do realize the Pats went 13-3 last year?

Hall Of Fame
    Have to make up 5 games in the standings.

Even if we sweep NE, I could still see us not winning the division. This team always has 2 or 3 games a year that they inexplicably blow and leave us fans scratching our heads.

Coming off of last year, I would be happy to get a Wild Card. As long as TB12 is behind center and Beli is Beli and Kraft is the NFL's puppetmaster, the Pats will be the favorites and likely division winners.