Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is winning the division too much of a stretch?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Redrew;4494855]Don't ignore Buffalo. Last year Buffalo was a .500 team until Fred Jackson went down. They've bolstered a brutal defense this offseason.....they should be a riser.
    Interesting factoid from 2011....the Jets, Buffalo and Miami were all brutal on the road....young QB syndrome???
    Face it.....Brady vs Sanchez.....no way the Jets surpasss NE[/QUOTE]

You're right. Might as well just cancel the season. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Redrew;4494855]Don't ignore Buffalo. Last year Buffalo was a .500 team until Fred Jackson went down. They've bolstered a brutal defense this offseason.....they should be a riser.
    Interesting factoid from 2011....the Jets, Buffalo and Miami were all brutal on the road....young QB syndrome???

LOL

Yeah, no way the Jets surpasses NE, they didn't do it just two years ago, beat them in their house in the playoffs, with a rookie QB

No way... :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4494881]LOL

Yeah, no way the Jets surpasses NE, they didn't do it just two years ago, beat them in their house in the playoffs, [B]with a rookie QB[/B]

No way... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Might wanna edit this before a troll calls you out. ;)

Banned
    I'm not expecting us to win the AFC East this season, but I am expecting our most complete team (on both sides of the ball) that we've featured during Ryan's tenure here. Because of that, I feel that we can at the very least give NE a run for their money in regards to which team wins the division.

I'll continue to give NE the edge over the Jets (heading into the season) for as long as Bill Belichick and Tom Brady are running the team. Why wouldn't I? They've won the AFC East time and time again. It's getting old now.

Last year NE went 13-3 despite the fact that NE featured a laughing stock defense with plenty of defensive injuries. They drafted defense during the draft, they'll return players who went down last year (especially throughout the secondary) and those younger players on defense will all have more experience when compared to last year. I'm expecting a much improved NE defense. Not expecting a top 5 or even top 13 defense, but I am expecting a much improved NE defense when compared to last years disaster.

On offense, as long as NE features Tom Brady as their starting Quarterback... They should not only be respected, but also feared as an offense. Once you factor in Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski? They're pretty much impossible to shut down. It's hard enough just trying to contain these guys with Brady reading opposing D's. Man, that's just a great trio of pass catching talents. They've also Picked up Brandon Lloyd, who led the league in receiving yards back in only 2010. Branch is still a veteran WR in which has plenty of experience working with Brady. Last but not least, you always have to account for Danny Woodhead coming out of the slot. It'll be hard keeping these guys under 31 points per game.

The good news? We won't have to worry about this franchise for too much longer. Bill Belichick is now 60 years old while Tom Brady will turn 35 by season's start. I know we say this during every offseason, but Brady will decline sooner rather than later. Hopefully he doesn't make it to 38 (on the football field).
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-18-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Jets will have to play a possession game against the Pats in particular, cutting out on turnovers (obviously Sanchez has a big role to play). O has to be able to score in multiple ways, running game, KR/PR, turnovers etc. Big play is back with Hill & Schillens to stretch the field.
    D has to be able to overwhelm the OL consistently and flush Brady out of the pocket and hit him consistently. LB's etc have to be able too jam and reroute the TE's. But keeping Brady off balance has to take priority. Rex looks like he has the horses to execute his gameplan and elaborate D or blunt force trauma up front.

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4494900]Jets will have to play a possession game against the Pats in particular, cutting out on turnovers (obviously Sanchez has a big role to play). O has to be able to score in multiple ways, running game, KR/PR, turnovers etc. Big play is back with Hill & Schillens to stretch the field.
    D has to be able to overwhelm the OL consistently and flush Brady out of the pocket and hit him consistently. LB's etc have to be able too jam and reroute the TE's. But keeping Brady off balance has to take priority. Rex looks like he has the horses to execute his gameplan and elaborate D or blunt force trauma up front.[/QUOTE]

I think the Jets are certainly capable of taking one or possibly even both head-to-head games against the Pats. Since Rex is here we're 3-4 with a playoff win against them, basically even. The D's gotten it done before and can do it again.

But over the course of the season I don't see Jets staying with the Pats.

[QUOTE=Redrew;4494855]Don't ignore Buffalo. Last year Buffalo was a .500 team until Fred Jackson went down. [B]They've bolstered a brutal defense this offseason.....they should be a riser.[/B]

Buff may still have the worst D in the NFL and their O is nothing special. They will be lucky to win 5 games this year IMO. Sanders better be an off the bat pro bowler on that OL for them to win more. It is going to take a lot more then signing Williams to make that horrid D better. wow they may get 30 sacks this year. lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Until our offense proves to be halfway competent, then yeah it's a stretch.

For a team that wants to put a heavy emphasis on the running game, we still have a giant question mark at RT and I'm not confident in our current backfield at all. Tomlinson leaving is going to sting a lot more than what most people realize. Not only was he our only consistent receiver out of the backfield, he was also the only guy who could hold his own in pass protection.

Hey, I'm just as glad as everyone else that Schitty was shown the door. But we still have one of the most erratic starting QB's in the league until he proves otherwise, Wayne Hunter is still our starting RT, and our entire backfield is one giant question mark.

Tony Sparano alone isn't going to push this unit over the top.

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4494815]Not rhetorical by any means. I'm just trying to get an idea of what some Jet fans expectations are like. I haven't see any talk of winning the division which is good cause people are focused on other area's and etc but what are your expectations going into this season? Seems like everyone here that I see talk about what they expect this season at best is a wild-card birth and possibly trying to make a run cause they think NE is going 14-2 or 13-3 at worst. I think NE's squeaked out wins last year that next year they might not be able to do so. They are still very young on defense, not physical, and who knows if Brady will take a step back. Obviously you still need to beat NE if you're the Jets but I'm not thinking wild card strictly this year like some people I see on the forum. I'm interested to see how this team comes back from what happened last year early on when the season starts.[/QUOTE]

Yes. The Jets have the Patsies in their division right now. The Patsies almost always win nearly all of their regular season games. That's something that the Jets never do, even with Rex Ryan as HC.

Until Rex and the NYJ learn how to do all of the finer things, the smaller things in football, they will never win as many regular season games as the Patsies.

Therefore, it's WC city for the Jets each and every year until they themselves bother to fix the issue.

[QUOTE=Gata;4494834]We're going to have a good season at the most we'll probably go 12-4

But this yr the Pats have an easy schedule so inevitably they'll take it :([/QUOTE]
    not easy at all.

Titans
    Baltimore
    Denver
    Jets (2x)
    San Fran
    Miami (2x)
    Buffalo (2x)

they could easily lose 5,6 games.

Banned
    [QUOTE=DaBallhawk;4494941]not easy at all.

Titans
    Baltimore
    Denver
    Jets (2x)
    San Fran
    Miami (2x)
    Buffalo (2x)

they could easily lose 5,6 games.[/QUOTE]

@ Titans.
    vs Arizona.
    @ Baltimore.
    @ Buffalo.
    vs Denver.
    @ Seattle.
    vs Jets.
    @ Rams.
    vs Buffalo.
    vs Indy.
    @ Jets.
    @ Miami.
    vs Texans.
    vs 49ers.
    @ Jacksonville.
    vs Miami.

Not that difficult. I can see them sweeping both the Dolphins and the Bills. That's 4 wins right there. The Colts, Rams, Seahawks, Jaguars and Cards could all be easily won/dominated games by NE. Yes, I know, that's why they play the games but I can't see any of those teams truly beating the Patriots. That could be 9 wins right there. Then they have the Texans, 49ers, Jets (x2), Broncos, Titans and Ravens left. The Titans just aren't very good, the Jets will either split or get swept, Denver (even with Manning) isn't a top of the line team and only the 49ers and Ravens (outside of the Jets) I believe in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Every season the same easy or hard schedule announcements

Always nonsense because based on PRIOR YEAR records.

And even worse when between teams in the same division where all four teams play exactly the same schedule for FOURTEEN OF SIXTEEN GAMES

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=sg3;4494944]Every season the same easy or hard schedule announcements

Always nonsense because based on PRIOR YEAR records.

And even worse when between teams in the same division where all four teams play exactly the same schedule for FOURTEEN OF SIXTEEN GAMES

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Agree 100% ... who the hell thought San Fran would win 12 or 13 games last year or whatever it was. There's a lot of ambiguity with Arizona, Tenn, Texans, Seattle, Buffalo, & even the 49ers. Aside from maybe Houston not one of those teams are a sure thing and every one of those teams can win 10 or 11 games or win 6 or 7. You just never know. If San Fran took a huge step back and got 7 wins it won't be the most shocking thing. If Arizona, Tenn, or Seattle are 10 win teams no one will be shocked either. The schedules are always predicted based off what teams WERE not what they are or will be. No one freaking knows man. I honestly don't think the Pats will breeze thru their schedule like the past 2 years. I think some of these teams on both their schedules have improved defenses and are physical enough to give them trouble.

I mean even the talk of "they'll sweep Buffalo and Miami thats 4 wins there" ... yeh really cause I bet everyone knew last year they'd lose to Buffalo and the year before that I'm sure everyone predicted one of their losses coming from freaking Cleveland and a rookie QB. Yeh I mean it was obvious. Things never happen how they should. Pats have improved at wideout but their O Line was sketchy in the playoff's last year at times forcing Brady to rush some throws and Brady didn't look like himself after the Denver game in the playoff's. I think their defense is what it is. They play bend and don't break. They'll continue to give up yards and play strong in the red zone but I think offensively there's a lot of question marks there. Lloyd and Gafney are in so this means they'll be trying to get a little bit more vertical . Well when you go more vertical the percentages work against you. So Brady's completion percentage is likely to dip slightly since he's not throwing nearly everything 10 yards and less. Pats want to go more vertical .. is that going to be an adjustment? Will it effect Brady, Welker, or their screen game? Is Gronk going to be the same guy? How's he going to recover from the ankle? He played hurt a lot last year, Hernandez got hurt last year ... will there be durability issues there? Don't get me wrong I still think they have an elite offense but I wouldn't be surprised to see them take a small step back adjusting to the new guys. I don't even know if LLoyd fits this offense. I'm not playing mr optimistic here just being realistic. A lot of teams are going to dare the Pats to beat them deep giving them 1 on 1 match ups out there. That could not work in their favor at all if guys aren't burning their man and if the chemistry isn't there. It also leaves 1 less guy for brady near where he likes to throw the ball. Lets see...

All League
    Two simple factors will give the Jets a good shot at the division.

Mark decreasing his turnovers by about 50%, and the Jets defense getting back to its 2009 stats. I feel confident about the latter. Let's hope Sparano will do a good Job with Mark in that area

Yes.:(

Jets Insider VIP
    My feeling is that the Jets will have a stout D,
    but they WON"T hold up to the 4th if they are always on the field.

The key will be to stay competent on O and:

[list][*] Run down the clock by running the ball.[*] Stay on the field with good 3rd down production (wildcat anyone?)[/list]

Keep our D rested and the opponent will be low scoring,
    thereby keeping the game within reach.

That said, we must have CONSISTENCY on O, not just flashes.
    Hopefully a task-master coach, high tempo practice, and simpler playbook
    will lend the consistency necessary.

So, to the topic: YES, we have an outside chance of winning the division,
    and a good shot at making a run from the wildcard spot, but the question
    mark (pun?) is the new offense.

[QUOTE=FF2;4494836]is the Jets schedule harder than the Pats?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

The Pats get to play the Jets twice.

There's two ways to ask the question:

1) Are the Jets good enough to win the division?

2) Are the Pats TOO GOOD for the Jets to win the division?

With the exception of the two times we play them, there's not much we can do about the second question. If the Pats go 14-2 again, so be it. But the Giants are proof of how little the division can potentially mean.

I just want to go into the playoffs as a serious contender. If 11-5 doesn't win the division, oh well -- it still implies we had a good season and can be a tough out in the playoffs.

If we pull another 8-8 then winning the division is the least of our problems . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;4494841]It's an interesting topic . which thread would you expect us in? :confused: 1986 Jets vs. Browns[/QUOTE]

Maybe a thread on a Pats board? :confused:

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4494815]Not rhetorical by any means. I'm just trying to get an idea of what some Jet fans expectations are like. I haven't see any talk of winning the division which is good cause people are focused on other area's and etc but what are your expectations going into this season? Seems like everyone here that I see talk about what they expect this season at best is a wild-card birth and possibly trying to make a run cause they think NE is going 14-2 or 13-3 at worst. I think NE's squeaked out wins last year that next year they might not be able to do so. They are still very young on defense, not physical, and who knows if Brady will take a step back. Obviously you still need to beat NE if you're the Jets but I'm not thinking wild card strictly this year like some people I see on the forum. I'm interested to see how this team comes back from what happened last year early on when the season starts.[/QUOTE]

Have you bothered to look at the Pats schedule??