Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Jaworski's QB Rankings - Tebow 30th, Sanchez 23rd

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495683]I agree with JB. Tiers is a better way to go. Some QBs might end up in a tier by themselves but other than that it is really hard to separate some QBs from one another. Especially the 15-25ish QBs. I never made my own list but I think after the Top 10 or 12 guys it would become very hard to rank them until I reach the bad ones.

As far as Jaws goes, I think he knows what it takes to be a good NFL QB. He understands what he is looking at when he is watching the tape and how to weigh each play. You don't need to have been a HoF player to be able to judge other players. There is a difference between knowing what to do and being able to do it. He knows what QBs should do and he was pretty decent when he played.[/QUOTE]
    So what do you think he missed with Clemens and why was he so far off?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4496068]You know what's funny about this, Tebow isn't the prototypical QB, not in the least. But guys like Ryan Leaf, Dan McGwire, [B]Jeff George[/B], and the like were all prototypical QBs coming out of college. [B]None of them accomplished what little Tebow has to this point in his career.[/B]Just saying.[/QUOTE]

:huh:

Jeff George is alway thrown up there as the typical bust QB taken first blahblahblah. Was a dick and only went to the playoffs a few times.

And I'm no Jeff George apologist but he still threw for over 27,000 yards with 154 TDs versus 113 INTs.

Tebow's never throwing for 27,000 yards in his career.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4496097]:huh:

Jeff George is alway thrown up there as the typical bust QB taken first blahblahblah. Was a dick and only went to the playoffs a few times.

And I'm no Jeff George apologist but he still threw for over 27,000 yards with 154 TDs versus 113 INTs.

_[/QUOTE]

My bad, Jeff George went to the playoffs twice, and won 1 game. Basically accomplishing the same thing Tebow has in the postseason.

Since when do stats matter more than wins? We dismiss Tebow completely on here, and all I'm saying is that the kid has unconventionally done more than a lot of those guys listed above, who were toted as the real deal and given every opportunity to make plays. Tebow was going against the grain from the beginning.

I'm not saying he's Joe Montana, but let's not dismiss him altogether. The kid is a damn good football player.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4496077]So what do you think he missed with Clemens and why was he so far off?[/QUOTE]

Because scouts/analysts miss all the time. He saw things he liked from him in college. I'm not going to kill him for being wrong about a 2nd round QB. Clemens was a good college player. He just did not translate to the NFL. There have been far better college QBs that did not make the transition.

And not for nothing but it isn't like the Jets were the best place for a young QB to go. Especially in 2006. We sucked then. That playoff appearance was a miracle. Our OL and running game did not get good until 2008. Clemens didn't get a scintilla of the opportunity that Sanchez has gotten.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

And I'm no Jeff George apologist but he still threw for over 27,000 yards with [B]154 TDs versus 113 INTs.[/B]Tebow's never throwing for 27,000 yards in his career.

_[/QUOTE]

Aikman had 164 tds and 141 picks played on much better teams and is in the HOF.. George had talent just a crap personality..:yes:

Banned

_[/QUOTE]

Next to Bert Jones, Jeff George had the strongest arm of any QB's I've watched in the NFL.

Raider Nation is going to **** if Carson Palmer isn't #1 and recognized as the greatest long pass, in the first quarter, with the wind to his back, if it's over 70 degrees, sun in his eyes, passer against the cover 2 defense ;)

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4496120]Next to Bert Jones, Jeff George had the strongest arm of any QB's I've watched in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

And it served him well to accomplish all that he did. ;)

Banned
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4496129]And it served him well to accomplish all that he did. ;)[/QUOTE]

George played on some really crappy Colts teams (1-15 in '91) when he first came up.

In '97 for the Raiders he completed 57.5% of his passes for 3,917 yards, 29 TD's and only 9 INT's.

Not saying he is a HOF QB, but he was a decent NFL QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Jeff George was a very competent NFL QB.

Definitely NOT a scrub.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4496152]Jeff George was a very competent NFL QB.

Definitely NOT a scrub.[/QUOTE]

However he didn't accomplish what he could have, right? One playoff victory?

I'm not trying to make a point Tebow is the best, but situations made him successful, in some form. People want to dismiss him as a QB, and that's fine, but he's a very competent NFL football player (to echo your description of Jeff George).

People focusing on Jeff George, and not Tebow just miss the point completely.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4496159]However he didn't accomplish what he could have, right? One playoff victory?

I'm not trying to make a point Tebow is the best, but situations made him successful, in some form. People want to dismiss him as a QB, and that's fine, but he's a very competent NFL football player (to echo your description of Jeff George).

People focusing on Jeff George, and not Tebow just miss the point completely.[/QUOTE]

Competent QB and competent football player are two different things. But I get your point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=John_0515;4496159]However he didn't accomplish what he could have, right? One playoff victory?

[B]People focusing on Jeff George, and not Tebow just miss the point completely[/B].[/QUOTE]

You shouldn't have put him in a class with Ryan Leaf and Dan McGwire then..;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4496116]My bad, Jeff George went to the playoffs twice, and won 1 game. Basically accomplishing the same thing Tebow has in the postseason.

Since when do stats matter more than wins? We dismiss Tebow completely on here, and all I'm saying is that the kid has unconventionally done more than a lot of those guys listed above, who were toted as the real deal and given every opportunity to make plays. Tebow was going against the grain from the beginning.

I'm not saying he's Joe Montana, but let's not dismiss him altogether. [B]The kid is a damn good football player[/B].[/QUOTE]

Then compare him to other football players, don't compare him to one of the most incredible arms ever to throw a football.

The issue with Tebow is his THROWING, not his "football" skills.

Don't compare anything Tebow does to Jeff George.

_

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4496167]Competent QB and competent football player are two different things. But I get your point.[/QUOTE]

Competency implies ability to get your job done. At what point is Jeff George accountable for his losses, and at what point is Tebow accountable for his wins. Or Sanchez, or whoever. I don't really care, actually. I think people just expect a QB to win a certain way only.

[QUOTE=Savage69;4496168]You shouldn't have put him in a class with Ryan Leaf and Dan McGwire then..;)[/QUOTE]

Jeff George wasn't a big disappointment?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4496214]Jeff George wasn't a big disappointment?[/QUOTE]

Huge disappointment.

But nowhere NEAR the level of craptastic that Ryan Leaf or Dan MCGuire were.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4496210]Then compare him to other football players, don't compare him to one of the most incredible arms ever to throw a football.

The issue with Tebow is his [B]THROWING[/B], not his "football" skills.

[B]Don't compare anything Tebow does to Jeff George. [/B]

_[/QUOTE]

I did and I will. Tebow played as a QB and won a playoff game. Plain and simple.

George played as a QB and won a playoff game.

Tebow's PASSING :rolleyes: skills aren't what George's were, yes.

Then why didn't George accomplish more? There's more to being a good QB than just having a strong arm and good mechanics.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4496215]Huge disappointment.

But nowhere NEAR the level of craptastic that Ryan Leaf or Dan MCGuire were.

_[/QUOTE]

The point was that all three of those guys, and others, were drafted as the prototypical QB, who were supposed to become great. They were given support by their management and organization. Tebow played last year in spite of all of that.

That's the point. The fact that you focus on Jeff George to try make a lame tangential counter argument shows that you failed to see the point.

And you spelled "McGwire" wrong.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=John_0515;4496224] [B]The point was that all three of those guys, and others, were drafted as the prototypical QB, who were supposed to become great[/B]. They were given support by their management and organization. Tebow played last year in spite of all of that.

That's the point. The fact that you focus on Jeff George to try make a lame tangential counter argument shows that you failed to see the point.

And you spelled "McGwire" wrong.[/QUOTE]

Then use Todd Blackledge who was drafted ahead of Marino,Kelly,O'brien and Eason and was top 10 with Elway..