Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Jaworski's QB Rankings - Tebow 30th, Sanchez 23rd

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4495606]Sure, I mean, film is film, right?

Whatever a player does in college, it's pretty much the same when they're in the pros, right?

Man this site has hit hard times . . .[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps I was just saying that Jaworski should stay away from projecting college talent.

By the way, I've been here almost 2 years longer than you have.

Just saying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Dcat;4495604]I give you a lot of credit for posting that. IIRC, you were Mark's biggest advocate from before the draft. I had my doubts from the beginning, but always hoped you would prove to be right. Sadly, I truly don't think he will ever be a very good QB, let alone an elite one.[/QUOTE]

Yep and my opinion hasn't changed, Sanchez can get us a SB win. I think what we've seen of him in the playoffs +60 completion, 3/1 TD/INT ratio and +94 passer rating is something he can do throughout an entire season. He's just barely coming into his prime years right now.

Extremely accurate assessment ... I'd say near perfect.

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4495621]Yep and my opinion hasn't changed, Sanchez can get us a SB win. I think what we've seen of him in the playoffs +60 completion, 3/1 TD/INT ratio and +94 passer rating is something he can do throughout an entire season. He's just barely coming into his prime years right now.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way as you, Buzz. I really feel like he's gonna have a great year.

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4495607]LOL. Jaws really missed on his assessment of Clemens as a can't miss prospect.

No way is Sanchez #23 qb, not after his clutch performances in the playoffs. He did unravel last year but a significant part of that was playcalling and pass protection. He still let himself down with some foolish plays. But no way is he #23. I'd put him in the 15 - 20 range, to ascend further this year in Sparano's O.[/QUOTE]

Do you think there is much of a difference between being the 20th and 23rd best QB?

That's why I don't like 1-2-3 lists and prefer to rank players in tiers. I have Sanchez in the 4th tier (14-19) and being the 23rd best QB would have him in my 5th tier.

I also know that, as a Jets fan, I cannot be entirely objective when assessing Sanchez. I may have him a tier too high as a result of my bias.

It's one thing to be able to look at tape and describe what happened and why it happened. It's another thing to be able to look at college tape and project how those things will translate in the pros.

Jaws is good at the former and not so good at the latter.

Is Kellen Clemens on this list? I remember Jaworski raving about Clemens. :P

EDIT: I see this have already been discussed.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree with JB. Tiers is a better way to go. Some QBs might end up in a tier by themselves but other than that it is really hard to separate some QBs from one another. Especially the 15-25ish QBs. I never made my own list but I think after the Top 10 or 12 guys it would become very hard to rank them until I reach the bad ones.

As far as Jaws goes, I think he knows what it takes to be a good NFL QB. He understands what he is looking at when he is watching the tape and how to weigh each play. You don't need to have been a HoF player to be able to judge other players. There is a difference between knowing what to do and being able to do it. He knows what QBs should do and he was pretty decent when he played.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-19-2012 at 08:54 PM.

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4495607]LOL. Jaws really missed on his assessment of Clemens as a can't miss prospect.

No way is Sanchez #23 qb, not after his clutch performances in the playoffs. He did unravel last year but a significant part of that was playcalling and pass protection. He still let himself down with some foolish plays. But no way is he #23. I'd put him in the 15 - 20 range, to ascend further this year in Sparano's O.[/QUOTE]

These "lists" are based off of last season. If they were based off of previous years, then you can rank Rivers up there with elite QBs (for example), but last year he struggled. We're only a few years removed from Favre's great Minnesota season. If he came out right now, would he be rated higher than Sanchez?

Sanchez will surprise this year. This offense is perfect for him. He just needs Hunter to step it up.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495683]

As far as Jaws goes, I think he knows what it takes to be a good NFL QB. He understands what he is looking at when he is watching the tape and how to weigh each play. You don't need to have been a HoF player to be able to judge other players. There is a difference between knowing what to do and being able to do it. He knows what QBs should do.[/QUOTE]

I remember Jaws as a solid QB when he played. Not a perennial top player but he did make the Pro Bowl in 1980 when he took the Eagles to the Superbowl (and was named NFC player of the year). His career includes 28,000+ passing yards. Not too shabby.

I always like his chalk talk segments. But his prediction of Kellen Clemens was a famous swing and a miss.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4495711]I remember Jaws as a solid QB when he played. Not a perennial top player but he did make the Pro Bowl in 1980 when he took the Eagles to the Superbowl (and was named NFC player of the year). His career includes 28,000+ passing yards. Not too shabby.

I always like his chalk talk segments. But his prediction of Kellen Clemens was a famous swing and a miss.[/QUOTE]

You are right. For some reason I left out the last part of my post. Jaws did have a good career.

My point was that you do not need to be a HoF QB in order to judge QBs. Most QBs who have played in the NFL know what needs to be done and can relate to the difficulty.

Perfect example would be Dilfer. People get on Dilfer for critiquing QBs b.c he sucked, but when you listen to him talk, he makes good points and knows what he is talking about.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-19-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Jaws is well suited by experience to rank nfl qbs. As JB pointed out it is much better to rand them in 4 tiers of 8 qbs. So i have him in the middle of the 3rd tier.

I rank him higher IMO he is better than 13 qbs that played last year.

Bills, Miami, Colts, Titans, Jags, Raiders, KC, Denver, Browns, in the AFC

Redskins, Vikings, Seattle, Arizona,

Denver went up ahead with Manning, and DC and Indy may by the end of this year.

Sanchez is a complimentary qb, Rex now realizes it and brought in Sparano to tailor an offense to him, featuring a strong running game. His strong suit is that he is a pretty good play action guy that can then roll out and pass.

However he does not have the type of players around him that will allow him to use his talents to their up most. I don't understand why the jets went out to try to improve a good defense when the offense was the issue.

Jets Insider VIP
    all you need to know about Jaworski's QB evaluation abilities can be found by reviewing his performance at the 2006 draft on ESPN (and after) when he declared Kellen Clemens the BEST QUARTERBACK in the draft and AN ABSOLUTE STEAL by the Jets in the second round

[QUOTE=sg3;4495858]all you need to know about Jaworski's QB evaluation abilities can be found by reviewing his performance at the 2006 draft on ESPN (and after) when he declared Kellen Clemens the BEST QUARTERBACK in the draft and AN ABSOLUTE STEAL by the Jets in the second round[/QUOTE]

That was a projection on how a player will fare, not a review, which has been discussed at least 8 times in this thread already. To project future performance based on film is much more difficult than to review film of last year and rank actual performances.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=patman;4495863]That was a projection on how a player will fare, not a review, which has been discussed at least 8 times in this thread already. To project future performance based on film is much more difficult than to review film of last year and rank actual performances.[/QUOTE]

Well if that was a review, and not a projection of how he'll do this year, then it's spot on. Lets see how he does now in a competent offense. Hard to look good when you can't come off a primary receiver even though the defense has set up the perfect coverage, and the lineman are teeing off because they know what's coming. Besides the fact that he never had time to do a pre snap read. We'll just see where he ranks next year.

All League
    Jets set this kid up to fail, you cant keep bringing in a different group of receivers every year and think that he was gonna be on the same page..Lets hope we can now keep this receiving corps. in tact and mark can get comfortable..

Hall Of Fame
    I'm shocked that nobody is defending Tebow. He made the playoffs last year and is ranked 30th?

I guess he is a complimentary QB too. Maybe the Jets complimentary QBs can compliment one another. Maybe that is what they were thinking by bringing this guy in.

:dunno:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495891]I'm shocked that nobody is defending Tebow. He made the playoffs last year and is ranked 30th?

I guess he is a complimentary QB too. Maybe the Jets complimentary QBs can compliment one another. Maybe that is what they were thinking by bringing this guy in.

:dunno:[/QUOTE]

I find it hard to believe that two teams will be starting QBs that are worse than Tebow.

Sanchez is going to end up being a better version of Jake Delhomme.

If Ron Jaworski had any balls or brains that's what he would say but instead he just repeats the sports media party line: [B]"Sanchez struggled last season, if he doesn't throw 30 tds and 0 ints next season he's a bust."[/B]

Ron Jaworski sucks.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495719]You are right. For some reason I left out the last part of my post. Jaws did have a good career.

My point was that you do not need to be a HoF QB in order to judge QBs. Most QBs who have played in the NFL know what needs to be done and can relate to the difficulty.

Perfect example would be Dilfer. People get on Dilfer for critiquing QBs b.c he sucked, but when you listen to him talk, he makes good points and knows what he is talking about.[/QUOTE]

+1

Dilfer makes alot of intelligent points when analyzing qb play. He said Matt Cassell wasn't that good in 2008 when everyone in the media + Tx were proclaiming Cassell to be the next Steve Young. His analysis of Tebow and his limitations as a player were spot on.

I take Dilfer's opinions over Jaworsky, Elizabeth Hasselbeck's wife and Merril Hoge any day of the week.

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4495914]I find it hard to believe that two teams will be starting QBs that are worse than Tebow.[/QUOTE]

You know what's funny about this, Tebow isn't the prototypical QB, not in the least. But guys like Ryan Leaf, Dan McGwire, Jeff George, and the like were all prototypical QBs coming out of college. None of them accomplished what little Tebow has to this point in his career.

Just saying.