Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Jaworski's QB Rankings - Tebow 30th, Sanchez 23rd

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron Jaworski's QB Rankings - Tebow 30th, Sanchez 23rd

Say what you want, but you will be hard pressed to find someone who watches as much film as Jaworski.

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_sanchez_ranks_rd_on_espn_analyst_CuW0oOfFMty9pPBQTLyZZK[/url]

[QUOTE][B]Jets' Sanchez ranks 23rd on ESPN analyst's QB list[/B]

By Brian Costello

ESPN analyst and former Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski is counting down his top 30 quarterbacks in the NFL. On Monday, he revealed Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez as No. 23 on his list.

Sanchez comes in several spots higher than backup Tim Tebow (No. 30) and ahead of fellow AFC East quarterbacks Matt Moore (26) of the Dolphins and Ryan Fitzpatrick (24) of the Bills. That leaves just Tom Brady of the Patriots ahead of him in the rankings, which Jaworski is revealing each day on "SportsCenter."

Here is what Jaworski had to say about Sanchez, courtesy of the ESPN Public Relations department:

“The 23rd-rated quarterback on my big board is Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is a complementary quarterback. He’s at his best working off a strong running game with defined reads. That allows him to get the ball out quickly, within the structure and the timing of the offense. The play-action pass really helps Sanchez, especially out of base-personnel packages. Remember, the Jets’ offensive foundation is the run, a lot of multiple tight-end sets and normal down-and-distance situations.

“This 33-yard completion on first and ten was a great example. There were three tight ends on the field. What do you get defensively? A strong safety down in the box, with a single deep safety cheated toward (wide receiver) Santonio Holmes. You get a staple route combination against single high, the post cross. Holmes’ post route threatened both the corner and the deep safety. With the corner running with Holmes, an entire area was voided. A defined and easy read. Pitch and catch. Sanchez is most effective throwing in the middle of the field, between the numbers. He lacks the arm strength demanded to drive the ball to the outside with the necessary velocity. But he’s made some very good seam throws.

“After three years in the league, Sanchez continues to struggle in two critical areas: decision-making and down-field accuracy. It’s why he’s No. 23 on my list. When he plants his back foot, doesn’t get what he wants and then has to re-load, he loses clarity. While Sanchez has been able to throw effectively on the run, when it’s designed, he’s often reckless and erratic when forced to leave the pocket. The ability to take advantage of shot plays has been a problem. Design big plays in which you get what you want. The Jets shifted Joe McKnight outside the numbers. A linebacker bumped out with him. That’s what you anticipated when you game-planned this during the week. You have to hit those throws. Sanchez didn’t even give McKnight a chance.

“Sanchez has shown some very positive attributes that will fit well with Tony Sparano’s run-first approach, to his offensive design. But to move up on my big board, Sanchez must improve his coverage recognition and his intermediate to deeper accuracy. Otherwise, he’ll remain a player with limitations.”
    [/QUOTE]

Edit: Here is the current list.

30. [B]Tim Tebow[/B]
    29. Blaine Gabbert
    28. Christian Ponder
    27. Matt Flynn
    26. Matt Moore
    25. Kevin Kolb
    24. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    23. [B]Mark Sanchez[/B]
    22. Matt Cassel
    21. Carson Palmer
    20. Sam Bradford
    19. Andy Dalton
    18. Matt Hasselbeck
    17. Josh Freeman
    16. Alex Smith
    15. Cam Newton
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-26-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495281]Say what you want, but you will be hard pressed to find someone who watches as much film as Jaworski.

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_sanchez_ranks_rd_on_espn_analyst_CuW0oOfFMty9pPBQTLyZZK[/url][/QUOTE]

My initial reaction was WTF???? 23 is a bit much BUT his description of Marks weaknesses is unfortunately very fair. I still think Mark is somewhere around 16 NOT 23.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's right.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4495295]My initial reaction was WTF???? 23 is a bit much BUT his description of Marks weaknesses is unfortunately very fair. I still think Mark is somewhere around 16 NOT 23.[/QUOTE]

Well I think you can make a case either way. I think 15-25 is a crap shoot. Almost interchangeable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4495315]Well I think you can make a case either way. I think 15-25 is a crap shoot. Almost interchangeable.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...like choosing amongst the over weight girls at a dance. A few beers, turn upside down and they all look alike.:D;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we can petition the NFL to make a "team game"; since our qb isn't "the best". :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]The 23rd-rated quarterback on my big board is Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is a complementary quarterback. He’s at his best working off a strong running game with defined reads. That allows him to get the ball out quickly, within the structure and the timing of the offense. The play-action pass really helps Sanchez, especially out of base-personnel packages. Remember, the Jets’ offensive foundation is the run, a lot of multiple tight-end sets and normal down-and-distance situations.

[/QUOTE]

So why haven't the Jets instituted this kind of offense?

Oh wait. :yes:

Let's hope Sanchez steps up to the plate. You never want to draft a "complimentary QB" with the 5th overall pick... But Sanchez does have the 6th highest QB rating in the history of the NFL playoffs (this is my new "rest my hat on" stat.)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is he knocking Sanchez arm strength on outs? That critisizm is just plain wrong. He has significantly underrated arm strength.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    ďAfter three years in the league, Sanchez continues to struggle in two critical areas: decision-making and down-field accuracy. Itís why heís No. 23 on my list. When he plants his back foot, doesnít get what he wants and then has to re-load, he loses clarity. While Sanchez has been able to throw effectively on the run, when itís designed, heís often reckless and erratic when forced to leave the pocket. The ability to take advantage of shot plays has been a problem. Design big plays in which you get what you want. The Jets shifted Joe McKnight outside the numbers. A linebacker bumped out with him. Thatís what you anticipated when you game-planned this during the week. You have to hit those throws. Sanchez didnít even give McKnight a chance."

Very hard to argue with this part of Jaws analysis. I think sanchez has plenty of arm strength. Weanesses are accuracy and between the ears. 2012 is a make or break year for him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jethead;4495379]ďAfter three years in the league, Sanchez continues to struggle in two critical areas: decision-making and down-field accuracy. Itís why heís No. 23 on my list. When he plants his back foot, doesnít get what he wants and then has to re-load, he loses clarity. While Sanchez has been able to throw effectively on the run, when itís designed, heís often reckless and erratic when forced to leave the pocket. The ability to take advantage of shot plays has been a problem. Design big plays in which you get what you want. The Jets shifted Joe McKnight outside the numbers. A linebacker bumped out with him. Thatís what you anticipated when you game-planned this during the week. You have to hit those throws. Sanchez didnít even give McKnight a chance."

Very hard to argue with this part of Jaws analysis. I think sanchez has plenty of arm strength. Weanesses are accuracy and between the ears. 2012 is a make or break year for him.[/QUOTE]

I think receivers have a lot to do with perception of deep route accuracy. Losing Braylon was huge. Schillens and Hill could really help Sanchez in this area this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am expecting Kellen Clemens to be listed in the Top 10.
    Last edited by jxc; 06-19-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: "am" instead of "was" so as to not look like an idiot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interested to see the rest of the list, but I think Sanchez should be a couple (but just a couple) spots higher, somewhere around 17-20. Fitzpatrick too.
    Last edited by jpoppy7; 06-19-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jethead;4495379]ďAfter three years in the league, Sanchez continues to struggle in two critical areas: decision-making and down-field accuracy. Itís why heís No. 23 on my list. When he plants his back foot, doesnít get what he wants and then has to re-load, he loses clarity. While Sanchez has been able to throw effectively on the run, when itís designed, heís often reckless and erratic when forced to leave the pocket. The ability to take advantage of shot plays has been a problem. Design big plays in which you get what you want. The Jets shifted Joe McKnight outside the numbers. A linebacker bumped out with him. Thatís what you anticipated when you game-planned this during the week. You have to hit those throws. Sanchez didnít even give McKnight a chance."

Very hard to argue with this part of Jaws analysis. I think sanchez has plenty of arm strength. Weanesses are accuracy and between the ears. 2012 is a make or break year for him.[/QUOTE]

I concur. If MS doesn't make the leap to the next level then it's time to move on and draft another QB. I DO NOT see Tebow as an every down passer in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow>>>Gabbert

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very accurate, fair assessment.

It's about where I'd rank them as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jaws has Sanchez a tier lower than I do. I've got no problem with the ranking.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    very fair reporting and desription of sanchez weakness. defiantely not a top 20 QB yet.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4495383]I am expecting Kellen Clemens to be listed in the Top 10.[/QUOTE]

And Brett Ratliff...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4495383]I am expecting Kellen Clemens to be listed in the Top 10.[/QUOTE]

Awesome reset; 100 points. :D:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bigdanNJ;4495476]very fair reporting and desription of sanchez weakness. [B]defiantely[/B] not a top 20 QB yet.[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting he's impudently rebelling against being a top 20 QB?

_