Thread: Anyone ever have a Dental Implant?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever have a Dental Implant?

One of my front teeth is loose, I had a childhood accident that nearly knocked it out. Now many many years later is is loose and I need a Dental Implant.

Anyone ever have one? Do these things work, how long will it take to heal will it feel like a regular tooth?

All I can find online is dentist ads and webmd stuff, but nowhere real info

Thx

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Alkrotraz;4495530]One of my front teeth is loose, I had a childhood accident that nearly knocked it out. Now many many years later is is loose and I need a Dental Implant.

Anyone ever have one? Do these things work, how long will it take to heal will it feel like a regular tooth?

Thx[/QUOTE]

Going through it now...

They may handle it differently with the front teeth, but here's what's happening with mine.

Had a crown, something bad apparently happened with that so it needed a root canal. Then shortly after something bad happened with that and I was told I needed an implant.

1. They remove the tooth.

2. You wait a few months as the the gums fill in.

3. They drill a post into your gums/jaw

4. You wait 4 more months with the post in your mouth until they can put a cap on.

Insurance doesn't cover much of it at all. I ended up paying about 2500. It's about an 8 month period from start to finish and I'm towards the end right now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Alkrotraz;4495530]One of my front teeth is loose, I had a childhood accident that nearly knocked it out. Now many many years later is is loose and I need a Dental Implant.

Thx[/QUOTE]

My brother in law is a periodontist and that's basically all he does. From what I understand, they look and feel very much like a real tooth (at least look like one - don't think I ever asked him how they feel). The downside is that they are very expensive and are usually not covered by insurance.

Now, if its your front tooth, its a bigger deal so perhaps your insurance will cover it - no idea really.

I'm pretty sure it has to be done in several steps, with the first one being removing the tooth and subsequently putting the implant in (which I think is literally a rod into your bone with a tooth over it).

Bottom line, it seems like the decision to get implants is based on cost. If you can afford it, you do it as opposed to having a denture or simply missing a tooth. But find a periodontist in your area and talk to him.

If you live in Westchester and want a rec, pm me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx[/QUOTE]

YES.... BELIEVE ME, I am an expert. Have more than one.

If you have good bone structure, you should be fine.

An oral surgeon (or periodontist) should set the implant, a dentist puts the crown on.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 06-19-2012 at 04:53 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had one for close to 8 years... maybe longer, maybe less... I can't remember when I got it. It has held up fine thus far. Just got to be sure you floss it. I was in my early 20s when I got it so I was a better candidate than someone who is older and has bone deterioration.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4495559]I've had one for close to 8 years... maybe longer, maybe less... I can't remember when I got it. It has held up fine thus far. Just got to be sure you floss it. I was in my early 20s when I got it so I [B]was a better candidate than someone who is older and has bone deterioration[/B].[/QUOTE]

Like me.....:steamin:

But I recommend them. I have had no issues really....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You name it, I've had it done. I've actually had two implants completely fail (which only happens about 5% of the time), where the bone never completely healed around the implant. What a fantastic disaster that turned out to be.

If you smoke, quit now. If you don't, you should be in good shape.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get mine on Friday, I had a tooth break and there is not enough left to be a suitable base (?) for a crown. So they will pull what is left of the tooth and the same day place the implant/rod (?), and if needed they will put a bone graft around it, and then if things go well in 4 months I will get a crown over it and then be good to go.

They said I had a choice of bone graft material, synthetic, horse, or cadaver.:eek:

Total cost would be just about $4K, but my wife is a dental tech so the Perio is giving me a 20% discount, and then the crown will be done at cost, so for me $2K. still sucks.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx[/QUOTE]

Don't get it....just my opinion

I have 1 root canal from a few years ago. I recently learned that an incredible amount of bacteria collects within these procedures and enters your bloodstream and finally gives you cancer. Tests were run on cadaver root canals (I guess dental implants can be in the same league) and 100% of them had bacteria levels through the stratosphere. I want to get the thing removed.

They've been selling the public that the mercury they have put in millions of people's mouths is safe too, when it's one of the most toxic substances known to man, as is man-made flouride, which is in all the commercial toothpastes. Tests were run on Alzheimer victims and 100%, not 99%, had flouride and aluminum (from commercial deodorants) imbedded in their brain tissue, yet we are told that man-made flouride is safe. Funny, read the back of any toothpaste (commercial),"If swallowed call poison control".

Run this by your dentist and watch him stutter.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4495701]I get mine on Friday, I had a tooth break and there is not enough left to be a suitable base (?) for a crown. So they will pull what is left of the tooth and the same day place the implant/rod (?), and if needed they will put a bone graft around it, and then if things go well in 4 months I will get a crown over it and then be good to go.

They said I had a choice of bone graft material, synthetic, horse, or cadaver.:eek:

Total cost would be just about $4K, but my wife is a dental tech so the Perio is giving me a 20% discount, and then the crown will be done at cost, so for me $2K. still sucks.[/QUOTE]

Ohh, I would get horse.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never had a cavity in my life. Never had wisdom teeth grow in.

:alien:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4495738]I've never had a cavity in my life. Never had wisdom teeth grow in.

:alien:[/QUOTE]

I've also never had a cavity, but my wisdom teeth all came in. Perfectly. Still have them and they haven't shifted a single tooth. :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some take, some don't. It sucks when they don't.

I have one bc I was born without one of my adult teeth. Had it done when I was 12. Been going strong ever since.

Good luck.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4495745]I've also never had a cavity, but my wisdom teeth all came in. Perfectly. Still have them and they haven't shifted a single tooth. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Oh, maybe that's it. I go to dentists twice a year just for cleaning. Smooth sailing so far.

I'll probably need a root canal tomorrow now for gloating...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets Things;4495745]I've also never had a cavity, but my wisdom teeth all came in. Perfectly. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, but dude....the bacteria coated roots grew into your sinuses, where they now shoot germs around like a little 'tarded bio-sprinkler.

So you have that going for ya.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx[/QUOTE]

I would Highly Recommend going to see JI Member Queens Jet fan(He's a great Dentist). He put in a couple of implants for me about 2 years ago, and have had not any problems with them at all.They feel, and look great. Root Canals are a wast of time imo, and do not save the tooth in the long run. Most Dental plans will now cover at least half the cost of an implant.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 06-19-2012 at 11:02 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF;4495710]Don't get it....just my opinion

I have 1 root canal from a few years ago. I recently learned that an incredible amount of bacteria collects within these procedures and enters your bloodstream and finally gives you cancer. Tests were run on cadaver root canals (I guess dental implants can be in the same league) and 100% of them had bacteria levels through the stratosphere. I want to get the thing removed.

They've been selling the public that the mercury they have put in millions of people's mouths is safe too, when it's one of the most toxic substances known to man, as is man-made flouride, which is in all the commercial toothpastes. Tests were run on Alzheimer victims and 100%, not 99%, had flouride and aluminum (from commercial deodorants) imbedded in their brain tissue, yet we are told that man-made flouride is safe. Funny, read the back of any toothpaste (commercial),"If swallowed call poison control".

Run this by your dentist and watch him stutter.[/QUOTE]

What the hell doesn't cause cancer these days anyway?

You really don't have any other option, aside from getting the tooth pulled.
    Would you rather writhe in agony for weeks on end, then wait for the infection to spread to your remaining teeth?
    Due to the huge concentration of blood vessels in your mouth, face, nasal passages, etc - an infection can get dangerous pretty fast.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF;4495710]Don't get it....just my opinion

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if I understand the above. You had a root canal a few years ago and you want it removed??? Did you mean to say you had an implant? I would assume you did, but your assumption that implants are "in the same league" leads me to think that you were in fact talking about root canals. If that's the case, I have no idea what you are talking about.

And if dental care is so detrimental to your health, whats the alternative? Walking around like a Brit with your teeth falling out?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4495552]My brother in law is a periodontist and that's basically all he does. From what I understand, they look and feel very much like a real tooth (at least look like one - don't think I ever asked him how they feel). The downside is that they are very expensive and are usually not covered by insurance.

Now, if its your front tooth, its a bigger deal so perhaps your insurance will cover it - no idea really.

I'm pretty sure it has to be done in several steps, with the first one being removing the tooth and subsequently putting the implant in (which I think is literally a rod into your bone with a tooth over it).

Bottom line, it seems like the decision to get implants is based on cost. If you can afford it, you do it as opposed to having a denture or simply missing a tooth. But find a periodontist in your area and talk to him.

If you live in Westchester and want a rec, pm me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I am going to a periodontist located in Rockville Centre that I had a referral too. It is a front left tooth. Believe it or not I had a root canal done on that tooth when I was ten and knocked it out a few months after I got it. It lasted 40 years. Dentist said it may last 1-3 more. But it is now getting infections on and off and loose. Periodonist said just get it over with.

This part I dont get. He is like I pull it out, drill in a titanium post with an attachment put a temp crown on and in a few months you get a perm crown. If all goes well that is it. But on line I see a lot about multi stages. Pull tooth, wait, put post wait, put attachment wait. Hopefully how he does it is ok.

It is a front left tooth so no way am I doing a bridge or denture or can I got without a tooth. So sounds like I am on the right path.

But do these things feel and work like a real tooth or will I forever be eating out of side of mouth.

Implants are expensive. But missing teeth leave gaps, teeth shift and cause teeth near missing tooth to also become loose. As you get older you have less money. From all I read dental implants make sense, plus as you get to 90 you have some places to connect to. Cant do a bridge or stuff like that when you are 90 if you have no solid roots to attach to. Those dentures falling out and smell is not a way to go when I am 90. Although a long time off. I see my inlaws going through it now.
    Last edited by Alkrotraz; 06-21-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a baby tooth that finally started getting loose about 2 years ago, so I had it removed and my dentist put in a bridge instead of an implant. After insurance, I paid about $300.