Thread: TE George Bryan released today...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

TE George Bryan released today...

With LB Donavon Robinson being released the Jets roster sits at 89 players right now...

I am under the impression it was for a punter but BLOCKING TE George Bryan I feel should get a look see...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bryan was draftable.

I'd be down with that.

He's a big beast.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    George Bryan was a three sport star in high school - football, basketball, and baseball. Bryan was all conference in high school football at DE and TE. Inserted into the lineup in 2008, Bryan has been a brilliant, record-setting receiving TE, as well as a quality blocker. Stats were 18 catches for 201 yards and 4 TDs in 2008, 40/422/6 in 2009, 35/369/3 in 2010, and 33/331/4 in 2011. Bryan has won too many awards to count. Bryan is a bit high hipped in his frame and, well, slow. Bryan's game is finding soft spots in zones and using his frame to exploit his greatest asset: world class hands. As an NFL Draft prospect, Bryan is clearly a traditional block-first tight
    end. He has good technique and bend as a blocker and some power in his hands, and blocks well enough for lead tight end roles. However, his frame keeps his center of gravity high, preventing Bryan from getting a top blocking grade. As a receiver, the main issue is whether Bryan has the agility to shake tighter coverage at the next level. Bryan can turn and cut well, and if a strong-armed NFL passer can gun the ball into his hands, he will almost always catch it.
    Close
    Analysis
    Strengths: Has hands of glue, about as good as you'll see in the sport of football. Excels finding soft spots in zone coverage and using his large frame to shield defenders. Quality blocker. Has enough power and bend combined with good technique which consistently results in successful blocks. Productive, durable, experienced leader -- top intangibles. Weaknesses: Is a bit high-hipped and slow to get rolling. Frame limits upside as a blocker. Isn't agile for a tight end. Might have real trouble getting open at the next level. Will have to answer questions from NFL teams about drug charges that were ultimately dropped. NFL Comparison: Bear Pascoe, New York Giants --Brad Noel

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd bring him in... May be a better fit with the Jets, than the Cowboys...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've wanted this guy since the draft. I thought he'd be a great fit for the Jets.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to believe that Bryan is a better prospect than the rugby guy Smith.

I'm all for giving Smith a shot but this guy is definitely worth a look.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets want a blocking TE who can also catch the ball a little, Bo Scaife is the guy, not another youngster. If they want to stay the youth route, they have Hayden Smith and Josh Baker.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scaife

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=124;4495638]If the Jets want a blocking TE who can also catch the ball a little, Bo Scaife is the guy, not another youngster. If they want to stay the youth route, they have Hayden Smith and Josh Baker.[/QUOTE]

Scaife is done. Smith's never played in any Football game, ever. Baker's a keeper, but he's not the punishing Blocking TE that the Jets need. Bring Bryan in.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4495641]Scaife is done. Smith's never played in any Football game, ever. Baker's a keeper, but he's not the punishing Blocking TE that the Jets need. Bring Bryan in.[/QUOTE]

Smith has a much higher ceiling.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4495642]Smith has a much higher ceiling.[/QUOTE]

Fine, I hope he works out... but how could it hurt to bring in a big, young body to camp?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4495641]Scaife is done. Smith's never played in any Football game, ever. Baker's a keeper, but he's not the punishing Blocking TE that the Jets need. Bring Bryan in.[/QUOTE]

Not happening. Signed another no name, but a WR from the Eagles via Adam Caplan a few minutes ago.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4495634]I've wanted this guy since the draft. I thought he'd be a great fit for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

+1 Always had him in the 5th round

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    ILB Matthais Berning was ALSO released for injury today therefore with the signing of WR Raymond Webber we still have an open roster spot as we have 89 total players...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets need a blocking TE. Bryan is 6'5 250 lbs. He's not going to be a big-time playmaker in the NFL but the guy can definitely block.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4495625]Bryan was draftable.

I'd be down with that.

He's a big beast.[/QUOTE]

Agreed....he had an issue or so at NC State but BIG BOY.