Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With the 14th pick of the 3rd round, the Jets select Demario Davis.

Banned

With the 14th pick of the 3rd round, the Jets select Demario Davis.

There seems to be lots of talk currently surrounding our first two draft picks in Coples and Hill, but Davis seems to be an underrated topic of discussion, mainly due to being behind both Harris and Scott on the depth charts. After doing some research on Demario Davis, I've walked away with a good feeling.

What's the first thing that stood out? He's one fast linebacker. He's a natural MLB too. When we drafted Vernon Gholston, we drafted a 4-3 DE followed by forcing him to switch positions (3-4 OLB) during only his rookie season. His career was over right then and there, too much thinking on Gholston's behalf. This Davis kid seems very fast on the football field, very explosive, and you should see some of these crushing college hits that he's laid down. Very powerful kid. Seems to use his speed combined with bruit power to actually tackle with MOMENTUM. That's the easiest way I can describe his tackling ability.

4.40 was the fastest 40 time ever recorded at the combine, in regards to the LB position that is. Davis ran a 4.61. Which was fast enough to rank him 4th amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. We all asked for speed at the MLB position last season, we drafted just that in Demario Davis.

When I used words such as bruit power, momentum, explosive, crushing hits, powerful etc, etc. It's no secret why either, he put up 32 bench reps. Which was good enough to rank 2nd amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. Only one LB could out bench Davis, a kid by the name of Ronnell Lewis, he set the LB record during this years combine with 36 reps.

When watching him on tape, you'll see that he's more than just fast and powerful, he's also very athletic considering the fact that he's an MLB. Ranked 2nd out of all LB's in vertical jumping ability, measured out at 38.5; only behind Mychal Kendricks who posted a vert jump of 39.5. Outside of the WR position, his vertical jump was good enough to land 5th place of all players coming out.

He posted a 10'4'' broad jump as well. Good enough to place 2nd, behind only Mychal Kendricks who set the bar with a 10'7'' broad jump. AJ Hawk still holds the record of 11'1" (in regards to LB's that is).

His 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle times weren't nearly as strong as his other workouts/skill challenges. Placed 5th in the 60 yard shuttle with a time of 11.65 seconds. Von Miller set the record last year with a 60 yard shuttle time of 11.15 seconds. He also placed 7th in the 20 yard shuttle with a time of 4.28 seconds. Brandon Marshall set the bar with a 20 yard shuttle time of 4.09 secons. Lastly, Davis paced 13th in the 3 cone drill with a time of 7.19 seconds. Nathan Stupar put up the quickest time, ran the 3 cone drill in only 6.84 seconds.

Just thought it would be nice to see how Demario Davis compares to opposing rookie LB's coming into the league. 2nd in bench pressing, 2nd highest vertical jump, 2nd furthest broad jump, 4th in the 40 yard dash, 5th in the 60 yard shuttle, 7th in the 20 yard shuttle and 13th in the 3 cone drill. Based off of only combine performance as well as intangibles, it would appear as if the Jets landed a top 5 linebacker talent.

Those were his combine numbers, but by watching the first Youtube clip (an interview) you'll see that Davis feels that he performed even better during his pro day. Running 40 times of 4.46, 4.47 and 4.51.

I'm thinking that both Aaron Maybin and Demario Davis can provide our front 7 with the type of speed that we've needed for a couple of years now. He's listed as being 6'2, 235 pounds. Bart Scott is listed as the same height (6'2) and only 7 pounds heavier at 242 pounds. Vilma is listed as 6'1, 230 pounds. If he can pack on another 4-6 pounds while keeping his athletic ability? I'm pretty sure that he'll have the overall body size/build to play the role of both an ILMB inside of a 3-4 scheme as well as a 4-3 MLB when running a 4-3 defense.

I really like this 3rd round draft selection. His development as a rookie could become pivotal to our defense. If he's able to spell Bart Scott as our 3rd IMLB, Scott could end up having a very solid/healthy season. If he's able to impact as a rookie, he could possible man down the MLB position when running a 4-3 defense, because we all know neither Harris nor Scott have the sideline to sideline speed/quickness to cause havoc as an MLB inside of a 4-3 scheme. Demario Davis just might.

If he does impact as a rookie, and we're able to feature him as our MLB when switching to a 4-3 defense... Which 7 players would you have man down the front 7 in a 4-3 scheme, who would become our two OLB's, two DT's and two pass rushing DE's?

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJJndcgzOE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJJndcgzOE[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insE7hE_Czs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insE7hE_Czs[/URL]
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-20-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    DWC is back, a passionate Jet fan who makes this place better

respectful suggestion

free GMCJETS and bring him back. Another passionate Jet fan.

All Pro
    It was an interesting selection that addressed an area of need (speed in the LB corps) but I have mixed feelings. I love his physical tools and his firey attitude (apparently he's a natural leader and fierce competitor) but obviously it's a little concerning that he played at such a small time school. Not that plenty of stud players have come from smaller schools, but it might take him a bit longer to adjust to playing at the next level... It's easier to expect quick contributions from a guy who played in the SEC than a guy who played at Arkansas State.

Still, I'm optimistic. One thing that's nice about the Rex Ryan era is that you have confidence that he can make players better with his schemes and coaching (well, other than the Green Ghost) than they otherwise might be. Hopefully he's a beast.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sg3;4495849]DWC is back, a passionate Jet fan who makes this place better

respectful suggestion

[b]free GMCJETS and bring him back.[/b] Another passionate Jet fan.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4495845]There seems to be lots of talk currently surrounding our first two draft picks in Coples and Hill, but Davis seems to be an underrated topic of discussion,..

When we drafted Vernon Gholston, we drafted a 4-3 DE followed by forcing him to switch positions (3-4 OLB) during only his rookie season. His career was over right then and there, too much thinking on Gholston's behalf...

Davis ran a 4.61, he put up 32 bench reps...

When watching him on tape, you'll see that he's more than just fast and powerful, he's also very athletic .

I'm thinking that both Aaron Maybin and Demario Davis can provide our front 7 with the type of speed that we've needed for a couple of years now.

I really like this 3rd round draft selection. His development as a rookie could become pivotal to our defense.

[/QUOTE]

Naturally, you bring up some good points. He was good value where selected. I particularly like him compared to Mychal Kendricks. But those highlights don't tell the whole story. He has some trouble tackling in one on one situations and can get duked in space. He's best downhill and in traffic and will work well in the Jets' system because he's versatile. He's a good blitzer, that's for sure. I can see him being used towards the middle of the year for three downs. Strength is not his weakness, but he will have trouble tackling nfl RBs in open space, as demonstrated by weaknesses in 20 yard shuffle drils etc. Not a complete product at this point but he's closer than most third rounders. Does not have that upper tier ceiling Hill and Coples have.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Austin;4495956]
    Still, I'm optimistic. [B]One thing that's nice about the Rex Ryan era is that you have confidence that he can make players better with his schemes and coaching[/B] (well, other than the Green Ghost) than they otherwise might be. Hopefully he's a beast.[/QUOTE]
    Eric Smith?

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4495845]but Davis seems to be an underrated topic of discussion, [/QUOTE]

Not sure I would say underrated, since Rex has already compared him to Ray Lewis.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Toooon;4496024]Not sure I would say underrated, since Rex has already compared him to Ray Lewis.[/QUOTE]

Right. And that was more than enough reason for talk of him to subside.

A lot of jaws must have dropped when that was uttered and reported.

I say let the kid do his own talking. On the field.

[QUOTE=Toooon;4496024]Not sure I would say underrated, since Rex has already compared him to Ray Lewis.[/QUOTE]

Coach Rex Ryan said some of Davis'[B] leadership attributes[/B] [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/demario_davis_impresses_jets_e.html"]remind him of Ravens great Ray Lewis[/URL].

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_sign_third-round_pick_dem.html[/url]

People and the media need to correctly understand (and report) that comparison...Luckily, Jenny did

Jets Insider VIP
    In my opinion, a coach should never draw comparisons between a rookie and a current or future Hall of Famer, regardless of the nature of the comparison.

And leadership is something that is developed and earned, not appointed or annointed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=C Mart;4496084]Coach Rex Ryan said some of Davis'[B] leadership attributes[/B] [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/demario_davis_impresses_jets_e.html"]remind him of Ravens great Ray Lewis[/URL].

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/05/jets_sign_third-round_pick_dem.html[/url]

People and the media need to correctly understand (and report) that comparison...Luckily, Jenny did[/QUOTE]

The exact quote was [B]Davis reminded Rex of a young Ray Lewis[/B]..

You can have a list of 500 numbers up there on a wall, but how many real leaders are up there?” Ryan said following the team's first day of rookie mini-camp. “It's easy to say, ‘Well, this guy was a leader for his football team.' But does he have that thing that he can lead men? That's rare. [B]Some guys have it. Ray Lewis had it when he came in. The day he walked into Baltimore, he was the leader of that defense. That was one year before I got there. That's what they all said. [/B]When I got there, he was clearly the leader. It's strange… but what kind of motivator is Ray Lewis? Ray Lewis motivated me as a coach. That's rare for a player to do that (and) have that kind of ability. I'm not saying Demario is that guy, but… and there's only one Ray Lewis… but it's interesting.”

“His face. His mannerisms. Passion,” Ryan continued. “I see some things.…. It's interesting… When you watch him on the tape, he pops off the tape. Like I said, he reminds me of a young Bart Scott: A guy that's just full of energy, flying all over the place and couldn't wait to hit somebody. That's kind of how he reminds me.”

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4495845]There seems to be lots of talk currently surrounding our first two draft picks in Coples and Hill, but Davis seems to be an underrated topic of discussion, mainly due to being behind both Harris and Scott on the depth charts. After doing some research on Demario Davis, I've walked away with a good feeling.

What's the first thing that stood out? He's one fast linebacker. He's a natural MLB too. When we drafted Vernon Gholston, we drafted a 4-3 DE followed by forcing him to switch positions (3-4 OLB) during only his rookie season. His career was over right then and there, too much thinking on Gholston's behalf. This Davis kid seems very fast on the football field, very explosive, and you should see some of these crushing college hits that he's laid down. Very powerful kid. Seems to use his speed combined with bruit power to actually tackle with MOMENTUM. That's the easiest way I can describe his tackling ability.

4.40 was the fastest 40 time ever recorded at the combine, in regards to the LB position that is. Davis ran a 4.61. Which was fast enough to rank him 4th amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. We all asked for speed at the MLB position last season, we drafted just that in Demario Davis.

When I used words such as bruit power, momentum, explosive, crushing hits, powerful etc, etc. It's no secret why either, he put up 32 bench reps. Which was good enough to rank 2nd amongst linebackers coming out of this years draft class. Only one LB could out bench Davis, a kid by the name of Ronnell Lewis, he set the LB record during this years combine with 36 reps.

When watching him on tape, you'll see that he's more than just fast and powerful, he's also very athletic considering the fact that he's an MLB. Ranked 2nd out of all LB's in vertical jumping ability, measured out at 38.5; only behind Mychal Kendricks who posted a vert jump of 39.5. Outside of the WR position, his vertical jump was good enough to land 5th place of all players coming out.

He posted a 10'4'' broad jump as well. Good enough to place 2nd, behind only Mychal Kendricks who set the bar with a 10'7'' broad jump. AJ Hawk still holds the record of 11'1" (in regards to LB's that is).

His 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle times weren't nearly as strong as his other workouts/skill challenges. Placed 5th in the 60 yard shuttle with a time of 11.65 seconds. Von Miller set the record last year with a 60 yard shuttle time of 11.15 seconds. He also placed 7th in the 20 yard shuttle with a time of 4.28 seconds. Brandon Marshall set the bar with a 20 yard shuttle time of 4.09 secons. Lastly, Davis paced 13th in the 3 cone drill with a time of 7.19 seconds. Nathan Stupar put up the quickest time, ran the 3 cone drill in only 6.84 seconds.

Just thought it would be nice to see how Demario Davis compares to opposing rookie LB's coming into the league. 2nd in bench pressing, 2nd highest vertical jump, 2nd furthest broad jump, 4th in the 40 yard dash, 5th in the 60 yard shuttle, 7th in the 20 yard shuttle and 13th in the 3 cone drill. Based off of only combine performance as well as intangibles, it would appear as if the Jets landed a top 5 linebacker talent.

Those were his combine numbers, but by watching the first Youtube clip (an interview) you'll see that Davis feels that he performed even better during his pro day. Running 40 times of 4.46, 4.47 and 4.51.

I'm thinking that both Aaron Maybin and Demario Davis can provide our front 7 with the type of speed that we've needed for a couple of years now. He's listed as being 6'2, 235 pounds. Bart Scott is listed as the same height (6'2) and only 7 pounds heavier at 242 pounds. Vilma is listed as 6'1, 230 pounds. If he can pack on another 4-6 pounds while keeping his athletic ability? I'm pretty sure that he'll have the overall body size/build to play the role of both an ILMB inside of a 3-4 scheme as well as a 4-3 MLB when running a 4-3 defense.

I really like this 3rd round draft selection. His development as a rookie could become pivotal to our defense. If he's able to spell Bart Scott as our 3rd IMLB, Scott could end up having a very solid/healthy season. If he's able to impact as a rookie, he could possible man down the MLB position when running a 4-3 defense, because we all know neither Harris nor Scott have the sideline to sideline speed/quickness to cause havoc as an MLB inside of a 4-3 scheme. Demario Davis just might.

If he does impact as a rookie, and we're able to feature him as our MLB when switching to a 4-3 defense... Which 7 players would you have man down the front 7 in a 4-3 scheme, who would become our two OLB's, two DT's and two pass rushing DE's?

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJJndcgzOE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpJJndcgzOE[/URL]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insE7hE_Czs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=insE7hE_Czs[/URL][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465[/IMG]

Banned
    Edit: double post
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Austin;4495956]It was an interesting selection that addressed an area of need (speed in the LB corps) but I have mixed feelings. I love his physical tools and his firey attitude (apparently he's a natural leader and fierce competitor) but obviously it's a little concerning that he played at such a small time school. Not that plenty of stud players have come from smaller schools, but it might take him a bit longer to adjust to playing at the next level... It's easier to expect quick contributions from a guy who played in the SEC than a guy who played at Arkansas State.

Still, I'm optimistic. One thing that's nice about the Rex Ryan era is that you have confidence that he can make players better with his schemes and coaching (well, other than the Green Ghost) than they otherwise might be. Hopefully he's a beast.[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of the above. He does come from a small school, seems to be a born leader, and may take some time in regards to adjusting to the speed of the NFL game but one thing that Demario Davis has in his favor, is that he doesn't have to be thrown into the fire during his rookie season. We can actually take the time with patience and develop Davis behind not only coach Ryan, but also two veteran linebackers in Bart Scott and David Harris. That's what I'm most looking forward to in regards to this draft selection. The ability to groom him. It doesn't get much better than that. Who better to grasp the game and learn the position than Rex Ryan, David Harris and Bart Scott?

Another poster made a strong point, in regards to expecting Davis to make an impact later on in the year. If you think back to Vilma's rookie season, it wasn't until week 8 where he made his first impact, had a breakout game against the Bills with 15 tackles during his first start. As a fan base, we then knew (right then and there) that Vilma was something special in the making. I'm hopeful that by week 12, Davis starts to emerge as Bart Scott's future replacement.

As far as physical ability, this kid seems to be something special in the making.

Vilma ran a 4.65, 37 inch vert, 23 bench reps, 6.67 three cone drill, 4.20 short shuttle and posted a 10 foot 1 inch broad jump coming out of college.

Davis ran a 4.61, 38.5 inch vert, 32 bench reps, 7.19 three cone drill, 4.28 short shuttle and posted a 10 foot 4 inch broad jump heading into the draft.

Scary thought.

Veteran
    LB is argualably the easiest position on a team to come in as a rookie. Rb would be the only one easier. LB definitely from the defensive side is the easiest.

Besides this guy isnt going to be asked to do a lot in his first year. He will be placed in favorable situations from the get go and he will have the year to learn.

There are still many veteran at the position to lean on.

[QUOTE=jets31;4496370]LB is argualably the easiest position on a team to come in as a rookie. Rb would be the only one easier. LB definitely from the defensive side is the easiest.

Besides this guy isnt going to be asked to do a lot in his first year. He will be placed in favorable situations from the get go and he will have the year to learn.

There are still many veteran at the position to lean on.[/QUOTE]

I would argue CB is the easiest on D...RB on O...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4496385][B]I would argue CB is the easiest on D[/B]...RB on O...[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=C Mart;4496385]I would argue CB is the easiest on D...RB on O...[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, always has been said, position that is played closest to how its played in college.:yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=sg3;4495849]DWC is back, a passionate Jet fan who makes this place better

respectful suggestion

[B]free GMCJETS and bring him back[/B]. Another passionate Jet fan.[/QUOTE]

:mad:

DWC 10x>>> GMC :eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4496415]Totally agree, always has been said, position that is played closest to how its played in college.:yes:[/QUOTE]

I don't think you would get a lot of agreement there from people in the know.