Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: With the 14th pick of the 3rd round, the Jets select Demario Davis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4496385]I would argue CB is the easiest on D...RB on O...[/QUOTE]

Its definitely not LB, or CB from a scheme perspective. LBers need to know alot about whats going on with the defense. CBs yes if its straight up man coverage not a lot different scheme wise.

Generally its been said that playing DE is the easiest for rookies. While they aren't always successful nothing to learn except go get the QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    to be fair I guess it really depends on the system the defensive player is playing in.

But I think historically if you look at the number of rookies that come in and start right away at each position and have success I still think its got to be LB.

Thinking about it more and reading some comments I would say DE is right up there. Again depending on the system.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4496385]I would argue CB is the easiest on D...RB on O...[/QUOTE]

I respectful disagree. First off there is a big difference playing with NFL rules. (some of the stuff you might have gotten away with in college would be easy pass interference calls in the Nfl) Second there is a big difference between college speed and NFl speed. Not to mention you are a top college cb and you meet Larry fitzgerald for the first time. ( you can do everything right and still get burned) Last point for the most part NFL Quality Qbs are alot different than the average college Qb. Your coverage is off just a little and good Nfl Qbs will expose you big time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4496661]I respectful disagree. First off there is a big difference playing with NFL rules. (some of the stuff you might have gotten away with in college would be easy pass interference calls in the Nfl) Second there is a big difference between college speed and NFl speed. Not to mention you are a top college cb and you meet Larry fitzgerald for the first time. ( you can do everything right and still get burned) Last point for the most part NFL Quality Qbs are alot different than the average college Qb. Your coverage is off just a little and good Nfl Qbs will expose you big time.[/QUOTE]

Good points Raider. Same goes for all NFL positions when making the transition from college to the pro's. It's not easy on rookie LB's either. TE's are much faster, bigger, stronger. College offensive lineman just don't can't compare to offensive lines of the NFL, making a rookie linebackers job much more difficult. RB's coming out of the flats are a lot more explosive when compared to college RB's who (for the most part) never play an NFL down. And NFL QB's read LB's 10x better than college QB's are reading those same LB's.

It's never "easy" making a transition from NCAA to the pro's. Unless you're just a special player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496362]I agree with all of the above. He does come from a small school, seems to be a born leader, and may take some time in regards to adjusting to the speed of the NFL game but one thing that Demario Davis has in his favor, is that he doesn't have to be thrown into the fire during his rookie season. We can actually take the time with patience and develop Davis behind not only coach Ryan, but also two veteran linebackers in Bart Scott and David Harris. That's what I'm most looking forward to in regards to this draft selection. The ability to groom him. It doesn't get much better than that. Who better to grasp the game and learn the position than Rex Ryan, David Harris and Bart Scott?

Another poster made a strong point, in regards to expecting Davis to make an impact later on in the year. If you think back to Vilma's rookie season, it wasn't until week 8 where he made his first impact, had a breakout game against the Bills with 15 tackles during his first start. As a fan base, we then knew (right then and there) that Vilma was something special in the making. I'm hopeful that by week 12, Davis starts to emerge as Bart Scott's future replacement.

As far as physical ability, this kid seems to be something special in the making.

Vilma ran a 4.65, 37 inch vert, 23 bench reps, 6.67 three cone drill, 4.20 short shuttle and posted a 10 foot 1 inch broad jump coming out of college.

Davis ran a 4.61, 38.5 inch vert, 32 bench reps, 7.19 three cone drill, 4.28 short shuttle and posted a 10 foot 4 inch broad jump heading into the draft.

Scary thought.[/QUOTE]
    I agree Davis has the signs and traits to potentially be special. Fine athlete, hardworking, intelligent and has good leadership qualities. He has enough above average qualities in several categories, not just athletically but also intangibles (I know its an overssed term but apt nonetheless) to make him an above average prospect and a very intriguing player.

All in all, he could be quite productive in Green and White - This season. Just what we need at his position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say that Davis has gotten attention, there was that one scout that said he could end up the best player the Jets drafted and is a 10 year starter.

I am excited about this defense, its nice having a legit 3rd ILB for once and one that can run. Hopefully we hit on the first 3 selections.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496674]Good points Raider. Same goes for all NFL positions when making the transition from college to the pro's. It's not easy on rookie LB's either. TE's are much faster, bigger, stronger. College offensive lineman just don't can't compare to offensive lines of the NFL, making a rookie linebackers job much more difficult. RB's coming out of the flats are a lot more explosive when compared to college RB's who (for the most part) never play an NFL down. And NFL QB's read LB's 10x better than college QB's are reading those same LB's.

It's never "easy" making a transition from NCAA to the pro's. Unless you're just a special player.[/QUOTE]

Not saying it is..But of all the D positions I just feel it's an easier transition for CBs than the other D positions...

I know it's not as simple as just cover #84, but..there is some truth to that..Granted it's only one person's opinion (and an ex DL) but Mike Golic has said the same thing.

I would also say that I'm guessing that is why there are more lower level college CBs drafted than any other position.

And only one article

Positions Where Rookies Contribute Immediately
    [url]http://ourlads.com/suddenimpact/[/url]