Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big Mo' about to break out (again I guess)

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4496939]This thread is completely absurd.

Yeah, sure considering he sucked setting the edge in the running game last season, it's very easy to think he'll be better at it this season.

However, you guys make it sound like he's going to transform from Mo Wilkerson into JULIUS PEPPERS.:rolleyes: Get over yourselves please.

Right now, he's been correctly characterized as a Shaun Ellis type player, I DOUBT he'll ever be aything more.[/QUOTE]

Well I've met both players and personality wise you are correct. Mo does have a demeanor much like Big Kat and that's a good thing. Both solid team leaders and a part of a pitt bull defense. They even hired a saftey with a monkey, it doesn't get anymore primal than that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496942]Wilkerson ranked 5th amongst rookie defensive lineman with 49 tackles and 3rd amongst all NFL players in tackles for loses behind the L.O.S. I'm sorry Mainejet, that Wilkerson didn't make the pro-bowl during his rookie season and/or set the edge well enough for you (as a developing rookie). Thankfully our coaching staff and defensive leaders such as Revis doesn't feel the same way in regards to our up and coming 3-4 DE talent. I'll take what you have with a grain of salt when compared to what these guys have to say.

[I]"He's going to be hard to ignore," Rex Ryan said. [/I]

"He takes coaching well," Dunbar said. "The things you coach him on, you see him do on the field. The good players can translate the stuff from the classroom to the playing field. That's what's really happening with Mo."

[I]"Looking back on the spring, if I had to rank our guys - outside of Revis - he was the best player on the field," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine told me. "He was dominant at times ... He doesn't take a day off. He doesn't take a play off." [/I]

"I truly believe in Mo," Revis told me. "He's so athletic and quick on his feet for a big guy. He's strong… He's going to have a really big year. He's going to create a lot of havoc."

[I]"If Rex is telling you that, that just shows you all the confidence he has in me as a player," Wilkerson told me. "He told me about how Revis works hard every day at his craft, working on the little things every day at practice. That's why he's so great come game time. That's something I'm going to take on, working hard every day and doing the little things right so once the game comes, it's just that much easier." [/I]

It's not only our fan base who feels this way about Wilkerson either. Our coaching staff believes in this kid. Revis feels he's on the verge of having a really big year and Revis also stated that Wilkerson is on the verge of creating havoc this up coming season.[/QUOTE]

This might come as news to you, but the above is what every HC has to say about his own players. There's nothing out of the ordinary here. His rankings for rookie DL are impressive - but in a weak DL crop/draft year.

Most of all, we needed him to become a pass rushing force. Something he fell well short of. In fact, the only consistent pass rush threat we had was a guy we got off the scrap heap. That certainly wasn't Mo Wilkerson.

Shaun Ellis type is what I see in Wilk. That's not bad in any stretch of the imagination. He'll have games where he'll look unstoppable. But for the most part, he'll be nothing more than a consistent good DL for the Jets. Not a guy you can build your defense around and certainly not a guy you would want to count on for pass rush.

BTW, I'm not indicting the guy here, merely trying to lend some focus to what appears to be an irrational love affair thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4497942]Then I thought it might have been a mirror image of Maybin.[/QUOTE]

Not your fault, I'm sure Maybin wanted to just get back in the locker room, take a shower and lounge around the field in cargo shorts too. Keller looks like he bulked up. Gotta look hot & get the reps in a contract year so I know the team will be getting 110% out of Dustin. Another blueblood Jet that I hope sticks around for a long.time as well. (-;

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497934]Just google cubbie tees or my jesus, the link comes up. I'm on my 4G and pain in the ass to cut n paste. Sorry.[/QUOTE]

Danke ... Jus got one for my wife ... Who is a massive Tebow fan ... Though not one of his crazy flocking followers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497950]Not your fault, I'm sure Maybin wanted to just get back in the locker room, take a shower and lounge around the field in cargo shorts too. Keller looks like he bulked up. Gotta look hot & get the reps in a contract year so I know the team will be getting 110% out of Dustin. Another blueblood Jet that I hope sticks around for a long.time as well. (-;[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking breakout year for Dustin. Having options will be great for all the receivers, but I think it'll be huge for a mismatch like Keller. Especially since he and Mark trust each other the most. You've seen it in the 2 min drill, and I hope they can take advantage of that all year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta say b.s. here One year and you have judged his entire career? Total b.s., Just like everyone else, give the guy a few years to see who he is. Time will tell... Eli M. was a complete loser on everyones board 3 to 4 years ago. Gotta say MJ you are sounding like you are giving up.....I know it is hard, like 44 years hard, but keep the faith. It's coming, there is no majic solution. 31 teams get the short end every year. :yes:

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4497948]This might come as news to you, but the above is what every HC has to say about his own players. There's nothing out of the ordinary here. His rankings for rookie DL are impressive - but in a weak DL crop/draft year.

Most of all, we needed him to become a pass rushing force. Something he fell well short of. In fact, the only consistent pass rush threat we had was a guy we got off the scrap heap. That certainly wasn't Mo Wilkerson.

Shaun Ellis type is what I see in Wilk. That's not bad in any stretch of the imagination. He'll have games where he'll look unstoppable. But for the most part, he'll be nothing more than a consistent good DL for the Jets. Not a guy you can build your defense around and certainly not a guy you would want to count on for pass rush.

BTW, I'm not indicting the guy here, merely trying to lend some focus to what appears to be an irrational love affair thread.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4497974]Danke ... Jus got one for my wife ... Who is a massive Tebow fan ... Though not one of his crazy flocking followers.[/QUOTE]

Excellent and I'm sure your wife will love it. Check out the site, the NO Saints Bounty tee is off the hook. (-;

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4497985]I'm thinking breakout year for Dustin. Having options will be great for all the receivers, but I think it'll be huge for a mismatch like Keller. Especially since he and Mark trust each other the most. You've seen it in the 2 min drill, and I hope they can take advantage of that all year.[/QUOTE]

I'm banking on Sparano to recognize and utilize. Keller will be a huge part of the offense just as Holmes is not the "cancer" as some fans would believe. They are all working with the rookies, teaching them the ropes so the team plays like one this year. TE, WR, RB, even the O line guys want in on the ball and it's the offseason. Jets West Camp should be fun and I hope #6 invited the whole team, ya know just as a courtesy. (-;

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4497948]This might come as news to you, but the above is what every HC has to say about his own players. There's nothing out of the ordinary here. His rankings for rookie DL are impressive - but in a weak DL crop/draft year.

BTW, I'm not indicting the guy here, merely trying to lend some focus to what appears to be an irrational love affair thread.[/QUOTE]

2 Things

Last years D-line class was one of the strongest ever coming into the draft and they proved it on the field

What 3-4 team depends on their DE to be their main pass rush threat? The best 3-4 DE in the NFL, Justin Smith had 7.5 last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4497948] Shaun Ellis type is what I see in Wilk. [B]That's not bad in any stretch of the imagination.[/B] He'll have games where he'll look unstoppable. But for the most part, he'll be nothing more than a consistent good DL for the Jets. [/QUOTE]

Not bad???

I would be THRILLED if he was as good and as consistant as Shaun Ellis. If he proves to be better, then that's gravy.