Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Mo' about to break out (again I guess)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Mo' about to break out (again I guess)

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-expecting-breakout-season-defensive-lineman-muhammad-wilkerson-article-1.1099189[/url]

[QUOTE]"He's going to be hard to ignore," Rex Ryan said.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"Looking back on the spring, if I had to rank our guys - outside of Revis - he was the best player on the field," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine told me. "He was dominant at times ... He doesn't take a day off. He doesn't take a play off."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"If Rex is telling you that, that just shows you all the confidence he has in me as a player," Wilkerson told me. "He told me about how Revis works hard every day at his craft, working on the little things every day at practice. That's why he's so great come game time. That's something I'm going to take on, working hard every day and doing the little things right so once the game comes, it's just that much easier."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"He takes coaching well," Dunbar said. "The things you coach him on, you see him do on the field. The good players can translate the stuff from the classroom to the playing field. That's what's really happening with Mo."[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]"I truly believe in Mo," Revis told me. "He's so athletic and quick on his feet for a big guy. He's strong… He's going to have a really big year. He's going to create a lot of havoc."[/QUOTE]

another pro bowler hopefully for the jets defense in '12 :yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    who cares about pro bowl that just means he will cost us more money down the line.

But it is exciting to he the praise. He was projected to be a top 10 draft pick in this last years draft if he had stayed another year. With a year in the league to learn, if the previous statement is true then you would expect a good year.

If he could generate a little more pass rush that would be huge from a 3-4 DE.

Just imagine if we actually hit it big with him and Coples. And then if Ellis comes along?:eek: Scary thought for the rest of the league but still a big what if

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets31;4496374]who cares about pro bowl that just means he will cost us more money down the line.

But it is exciting to he the praise. He was projected to be a top 10 draft pick in this last years draft if he had stayed another year. With a year in the league to learn, if the previous statement is true then you would expect a good year.

If he could generate a little more pass rush that would be huge from a 3-4 DE.

[B]Just imagine if we actually hit it big with him and Coples. And then if Ellis comes along?:eek: Scary thought for the rest of the league but still a big what if[/B][/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Marcus Dixon

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mo, Coples, Pouha, Devito, with Dixon/Ellis rotating in is a heck of a d-line.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Meet the New NY Sack Exchange. ;)

[IMG]http://distilleryimage11.s3.amazonaws.com/a9506c6aab8211e1be6a12313820455d_7.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4496381]Don't forget about Marcus Dixon[/QUOTE]

I like Dixon, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he'll be in any long term plans.

2012 will be his age 28 season. I doubt he's on the team past 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson had an underrated rookie year, don't think anyone but hard core Jet fans know who he is or recognize his talent. He's really going to be a fine player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4496521]Wilkerson had an underrated rookie year, [B]don't think anyone but hard core Jet fans know who he is [U]or recognize[/U] his [U]talent[/U].[/B] He's really going to be a fine player.[/QUOTE]

Explains why Adam Schein labeled Wilk's rookie season as "nondescript"..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4496558]Explains why Adam Schein labeled Wilk's rookie season as "nondescript"..[/QUOTE]

Cuz Adam Schein is the worst

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DaBallhawk;4496349][url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-expecting-breakout-season-defensive-lineman-muhammad-wilkerson-article-1.1099189[/url]

another pro bowler hopefully for the jets defense in '12 :yes:[/QUOTE]

i have high hopes for this guy...if coples and ellis prove to be worth their weight this d-line is going to be the best in the NFL for years to come.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4496521][B]Wilkerson had an underrated rookie year[/B], don't think anyone but hard core Jet fans know who he is or recognize his talent. He's really going to be a fine player.[/QUOTE]

That he did. He actually had a phenomenal rookie season putting up 49 tackles, 3 sacks to go along with 1 forced fumble.

I'm not trying to compare him to one of the greatest 3-4 defensive ends of all time, but Richard Seymour put up 44 tackles, 3 sacks and 0 forced fumbles during his rookie season. Wilkerson impressed, he's on the right track, to say the least.

Seymour is the 3-4 defensive end that I'll continue to rank Wilkerson up against as the years go on. During Seymour's 2nd season, he put up 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks. I'm expecting that type of production out of Wilkerson this up coming season, especially considering the fact that he put up 49 tackles to go along with 3 sacks during only his rookie season.

If Coples (can impact as well), we just drafted our best set of defensive ends in Coples (16th overall) and Wilkerson (30th overall) since drafting both Shaun Ellis (12th overall) and John Abraham (13th overall) with our two first round draft picks of the 2000 draft.

This time, I don't see our front office letting Wilkerson go anytime soon, as we did with Abe, letting him go after only 6 years. He's gone on to put up 198 tackles, 58.5 sacks and 19 forced fumbles with Atlanta over the past 6 seasons. Just put up 9.5 sacks/4 forced fumbles as a 34 year old freak last year. Hopefully Wilkerson and Coples can become the staple of our end positions for many of years to come.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496701]That he did. He actually had a phenomenal rookie season putting up 49 tackles, 3 sacks to go along with 1 forced fumble.

I'm not trying to compare him to one of the greatest 3-4 defensive ends of all time, but Richard Seymour put up 44 tackles, 3 sacks and 0 forced fumbles during his rookie season. Wilkerson impressed, he's on the right track, to say the least.

Seymour is the 3-4 defensive end that I'll continue to rank Wilkerson up against as the years go on. During Seymour's 2nd season, he put up 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks. I'm expecting that type of production out of Wilkerson this up coming season, especially considering the fact that he put up 49 tackles to go along with 3 sacks during only his rookie season.

Don't bring up stats for defensive line play. Seymour was a monster that year, he was always doubled, and not with a TE chip either. I know Wilkenson did not have a camp and that retarded his progress, but to me the only simularity is the size. To me he reminds me more of Ty Warren and if he can become that guy before all the injuries jet fans will be very happy. If he develops a little more even then Trevor Pryce would be a player to compare him to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What was incredible about Mo last year was his ability to make plays behind the LOS. His 9 TFL were 3rd in the entire NFL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Woody56;4496726]What was incredible about Mo last year was his ability to make plays behind the LOS. His 9 TFL were 3rd in the entire NFL.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this kid is on the verge of becoming a full blown freak of nature out there. "Ty Warren/Trevor Pryce". That's a joke.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This DL has the potential to be elite and the D overall the best in the league. Pouha is already in the top tier of NT's in the entire league. Welcome to the new Titans of New York.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496731]Yes, this kid is on the verge of becoming a full blown freak of nature out there. "Ty Warren/Trevor Pryce". That's a joke.[/QUOTE]

You say you aren't comparing him to Seymour but you are-- because he is similar in size and had similar rookie statistics at a position where, quite honestly, statistics mean absolutely nothing.

Overall, I think you need to reign in the expectations a little. Wilkerson was solid for a rookie but I highly doubt teams game planned around him at all.
    Last edited by Sroger; 06-20-2012 at 08:14 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at his arm length

[IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0415/ny_muhammad_wilkerson_200.jpg[/IMG]

All the physical talent he has, its great to hear about the dedication he has and how hes getting the mental side and technique side.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Coples plays to his potential, he'll warrant double teams which will free up space for Mo to make plays one-on-one. Hopefully he will. Met him at Holmes' charity bowling event last year. Great dude. Now it's his time to play more consistently. I believe he will.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4496392]Mo, Coples, Pouha, Devito, with Dixon/Ellis rotating in is a heck of a d-line.[/QUOTE]

The Jets front 7 has the potential to be downright scary.

Mo Wilk, Coples, Ellis, Pouha, Dixon, Devito, Maybin, Pace, Harris, Scott, Davis, Sapp...

That is a very good mix of youth, talent, potential, and speed.

Add the big safety additions of Landry and Bell, along with draft picks, Bush and Allen, to go along with an elite group of CB's, Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster...

Loving the potential of the defense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4496907]The Jets front 7 has the potential to be downright scary.

Mo Wilk, Coples, Ellis, Pouha, Dixon, Devito, Maybin, Pace, Harris, Scott, Davis, Sapp...

That is a very good mix of youth, talent, potential, and speed.

Add the big safety additions of Landry and Bell, along with draft picks, Bush and Allen, to go along with an elite group of CB's, Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster...

Loving the potential of the defense.[/QUOTE]
    Jets D is built MEAN all over but especially at DL

Can't wait for the season to start!!