Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Mo' about to break out (again I guess)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patman;4496722][QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496701]That he did. He actually had a phenomenal rookie season putting up 49 tackles, 3 sacks to go along with 1 forced fumble.

I'm not trying to compare him to one of the greatest 3-4 defensive ends of all time, but Richard Seymour put up 44 tackles, 3 sacks and 0 forced fumbles during his rookie season. Wilkerson impressed, he's on the right track, to say the least.

Seymour is the 3-4 defensive end that I'll continue to rank Wilkerson up against as the years go on. During Seymour's 2nd season, he put up 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks. I'm expecting that type of production out of Wilkerson this up coming season, especially considering the fact that he put up 49 tackles to go along with 3 sacks during only his rookie season.[/quote]

Don't bring up stats for defensive line play. Seymour was a monster that year, he was always doubled, and not with a TE chip either. I know Wilkenson did not have a camp and that retarded his progress, but to me the only simularity is the size. To me he reminds me more of Ty Warren and if he can become that guy before all the injuries jet fans will be very happy. If he develops a little more even then Trevor Pryce would be a player to compare him to.[/QUOTE]

Why does Wilk compare to Warren more than Seymour? What could possibly be your reasons?

Wilk is closer to size and ability to Seymour than Warren? Warren was a solid player, Wilkerson has the potential to be much more than that, quite comparable to the impact Seymour had/has on the defense.

There was an article today that has the Jets' brass raving about his progress this off-season and his potential as the 2nd best defensive player on the field next to Revis, providing impact comparable to Revis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see a lot more of a younger Richard Seymour in Muhammad Wilkerson when compared to guys such as Warren/Pryce. Wilkerson has the tools, potential and ability to develop into an all-pro defensive end for many of years to come.

1a.) Wilkerson is listed as being 6'4, 315 pounds and can play both the NT and DE positions. He's built as a defensive lineman for a 3-4 scheme.

1b.) Seymour is listed as being 6'6, 310 pounds and has played both the NT and DE positions over the years. Built as a defensive lineman for a 3-4 defense.

2.) Both put up very similar numbers during their rookie seasons. Seymour put up 44 tackles (25 solo), 3 sacks, 0 forced fumbles. Wilkerson put up 49 tackles (35 solo), 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble. 9 tackles behind the L.O.S which was good enough to rank 3rd overall last season. Wilkerson's impact during his rookie season compares to the impact that Seymour made during his rookie season back in 2001.

All I really know is this, we drafted something special in the making in regards to Wilkerson. Kid has the ability to become our 2nd best defensive player behind only Darrelle Revis. If Coples lives up to his talents, expectations, hype and potential? We just drafted, over the past two seasons, our best set of DE's since the drafting's of both Shaun Ellis and John Abraham back in 2000. That's a scary thought.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-21-2012 at 01:15 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excited for Mo and how about Aaron Maybin. Im no expert but it sure does look visibly bigger

[IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/ROR_2012minicamp13.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4496786]Look at his arm length

[IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0415/ny_muhammad_wilkerson_200.jpg[/IMG]

All the physical talent he has, its great to hear about the dedication he has and how hes getting the mental side and technique side.[/QUOTE]
    everytime i watch him play, he looks and plays the same way trevor pryce did. they even move the same way and fight the same way through blocks using their long arms. if he can become trevor pryce (minus the injuries the guy has had in his prime) i'd be pretty happy. pryce was among the best and most complete linemen in the last decade or two and mo' can be even better if he continues to works hard

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    watch these two plays by pryce & mo. its scary how similar they are, its like they're the same exact player

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d81c6c814/Jets-Pryce-grabs-a-safety[/url]

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82254f4b/Jets-D-sacks-McCown-for-a-safety[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    what I like is that Mo was thrown into the fire as a rookie and more than held his own. He didn't wilt and actually got stronger as the year went on. That tells me we have something potentially pretty special there.

An already stout DL with another year of experience, with the addition of Coples plus adding DL coach Karl Dunbar, one of my favorite moves of the offseason ... I am fired up to see what this group can do.

The DL sets the tone and the cupboard was rather empty for a bit. But it's great to see that getting addressed the past couple drafts (Mo, K. Ellis, Coples). Younger and faster is usually a good thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is completely absurd.

Yeah, sure considering he sucked setting the edge in the running game last season, it's very easy to think he'll be better at it this season.

However, you guys make it sound like he's going to transform from Mo Wilkerson into JULIUS PEPPERS.:rolleyes: Get over yourselves please.

Right now, he's been correctly characterized as a Shaun Ellis type player, I DOUBT he'll ever be aything more.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stick to killing Bambi and rooting for your local hometown NFL team

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4496939]This thread is completely absurd.

Yeah, sure considering he sucked setting the edge in the running game last season, it's very easy to think he'll be better at it this season.

However, you guys make it sound like he's going to transform from Mo Wilkerson into JULIUS PEPPERS.:rolleyes: Get over yourselves please.

Right now, he's been correctly characterized as a Shaun Ellis type player, I DOUBT he'll ever be aything more.[/QUOTE]

Wilkerson ranked 5th amongst rookie defensive lineman with 49 tackles and 3rd amongst all NFL players in tackles for loses behind the L.O.S. I'm sorry Mainejet, that Wilkerson didn't make the pro-bowl during his rookie season and/or set the edge well enough for you (as a developing rookie). Thankfully our coaching staff and defensive leaders such as Revis doesn't feel the same way in regards to our up and coming 3-4 DE talent. I'll take what you have with a grain of salt when compared to what these guys have to say.

[I]"He's going to be hard to ignore," Rex Ryan said. [/I]

"He takes coaching well," Dunbar said. "The things you coach him on, you see him do on the field. The good players can translate the stuff from the classroom to the playing field. That's what's really happening with Mo."

[I]"Looking back on the spring, if I had to rank our guys - outside of Revis - he was the best player on the field," defensive coordinator Mike Pettine told me. "He was dominant at times ... He doesn't take a day off. He doesn't take a play off." [/I]

"I truly believe in Mo," Revis told me. "He's so athletic and quick on his feet for a big guy. He's strong… He's going to have a really big year. He's going to create a lot of havoc."

[I]"If Rex is telling you that, that just shows you all the confidence he has in me as a player," Wilkerson told me. "He told me about how Revis works hard every day at his craft, working on the little things every day at practice. That's why he's so great come game time. That's something I'm going to take on, working hard every day and doing the little things right so once the game comes, it's just that much easier." [/I]

It's not only our fan base who feels this way about Wilkerson either. Our coaching staff believes in this kid. Revis feels he's on the verge of having a really big year and Revis also stated that Wilkerson is on the verge of creating havoc this up coming season.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-21-2012 at 05:30 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revis;4496931]Excited for Mo and how about Aaron Maybin. Im no expert but it sure does look visibly bigger

[IMG]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/gallery/files/3/2/0/1/ROR_2012minicamp13.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Hey. There I am in the middle of your picture on the field. :eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4496747]This DL has the potential to be elite and the D overall the best in the league. Pouha is already in the top tier of NT's in the entire league. Welcome to the new Titans of New York.[/QUOTE]

I don't know ... Is Pouha in the same league as Wilfork ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4496939]This thread is completely absurd.

Right now, he's been correctly characterized as a Shaun Ellis type player, I DOUBT he'll ever be aything more.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Gil Brandt

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=124;4496986]Hey. There I am in the middle of your picture on the field. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I thought that was Tebow

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496731]Yes, this kid is on the verge of becoming a full blown freak of nature out there. "Ty Warren/Trevor Pryce". That's a joke.[/QUOTE]

Do you know that Pryce was a three time all pro and 4 time pro bowl player and one of the best 3-4 DEs in the last 20 years. And you think that is on the low side for this kid.

You already said that you think Couples is going to be a monster and now you think this kid is going to be a 4X all pro player. WOW.

Warren made the pro bowl twice and was all pro once.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What exactly would a "break out" be for a 3-4 DE? 5, 6 sacks? That would basically put him among the leaders in the league at his position. 3-4 DE is not a big time sack position.

I think we should be happy with him being an absolute beast against the run and someone who can create opportunities for our legitimate pass rushers. If he does that, which I think he will, we should all be very pleased.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4496381]Don't forget about Marcus Dixon[/QUOTE]

I think this kid is going to impress everyone. Always liked him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4496996]I thought that was Tebow[/QUOTE]

Why would Tebow be wearing a green jersey, sunglasses & a visor when the team unveiled the new Nike black & white jerseys? Is Tebow shilling his own merchandise? (-;

BTW - that My Jesus tee shirt is hysterical and well received here in Brooklyn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497923]Why would Tebow be wearing a green jersey, sunglasses & a visor when the team unveiled the new Nike black & white jerseys? Is Tebow shilling his own merchandise? (-;

BTW - that My Jesus tee shirt is hysterical and well received here in Brooklyn.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link ?? I need to see it:).

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4497927]Do you have a link ?? I need to see it:).[/QUOTE]

Just google cubbie tees or my jesus, the link comes up. I'm on my 4G and pain in the ass to cut n paste. Sorry.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497923]Why would Tebow be wearing a green jersey, sunglasses & a visor when the team unveiled the new Nike black & white jerseys? Is Tebow shilling his own merchandise? (-;

BTW - that My Jesus tee shirt is hysterical and well received here in Brooklyn.[/QUOTE]

Then I thought it might have been a mirror image of Maybin.