Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Top 10

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;4497139]This really belongs on your left calf. Its exquisite.:yes:[/QUOTE]

well it definitely wouldn't fit on his penis.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4496797]NFLN's Top 100 Player's of 2012 is now down to the Top 10. The remaining players are fairly obvious. Here they are in alphabetical order:

Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Calvin Johnson
    Haloti Ngata
    Adrian Peterson
    Darrelle Revis
    Aaron Rodgers
    DeMarcus Ware
    Patrick Willis

Rank 'em.[/QUOTE]

Gotta go with the players who make the biggest impact in the league.

Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Tom Brady
    Darrelle Revis
    Calvin Johnson
    Adrian Peterson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Haloti Ngata
    Demarcus Ware
    Patrick Willis

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    imho, revis needs to be ranked in the top 3 because his position play is pretty independent o what the rest of his team is doing. some people have a love fest going on for the qb's but they rely so much on the teams around them that it's hard to separate them. from that aspect i think the qb ranking should be brees then rogers and then tommy boy. why? because brees had a lot of success with two diferent teams and it's not like new oleans was on the cusp of something great when he went there. both tommy boy and rogers know only one system but between the two rogers has more skills and could play well in brady's system. larry fitz deserves some praise because he can dominate games from the receiver position. not so easy since you'd think it would be easy to stop a single receiver.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4496797]NFLN's Top 100 Player's of 2012 is now down to the Top 10. The remaining players are fairly obvious. Here they are in alphabetical order:

Tom Brady.................... 1
    Drew Brees..........3
    Larry Fitzgerald..................6
    Calvin Johnson.........4
    Haloti Ngata..................9
    Adrian Peterson..................7
    Darrelle Revis...........5
    Aaron Rodgers................ 2
    DeMarcus Ware.........10
    Patrick Willis..............8

Rank 'em.[/QUOTE]

Tebow, no top 10?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4496886]I bet Calvin Johnson is ranked ahead of Revis despite the fact Revis shut him down in a head to head match up - by definition making him a better player.

Offense will always get the nod.[/QUOTE]

Also how Megatron played against a player, aka Revis, two years ago means squat as to how he ranked last year. The truth is Johnson has gotten even better than he was two seasons ago. Scary but true:eek:

People who say well Johnson is great and all but Stafford still threw for all these yards just don't understand just what kind of impact Megatron truly has on that offense.

Also those crying in thread after thread about Braylon Edwards would have killed themselves if the Jets had Megatron and then were forced to let him go for some reason...

IMO Johnson is simply sick; pound for pound he is the best non QB performer in the NFL and yes that includes Revis......
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 06-23-2012 at 03:31 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4499232]Also how Megatron played against a player, aka Revis, two years ago means squat as to how he ranked last year. The truth is Johnson has gotten even better than he was two seasons ago. Scary but true:eek:

People who say well Johnson is great and all but Stafford still threw for all these yards just don't understand just what kind of impact Megatron truly has on that offense.

IMO Johnson is simply sick......[/QUOTE]

At the end of the day these will both be iconic players.....however, Revis may in fact, literally, be the greatest CB in the history of the game.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4499235]At the end of the day these will both be iconic players.....however, Revis may in fact, literally, be the greatest CB in the history of the game.[/QUOTE]

That's a strong statement. I know you said may.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4499235]At the end of the day these will both be iconic players.....however, Revis may in fact, literally, be the greatest CB in the history of the game.[/QUOTE]

Revis maybe the best CB in NFL history when all is said and done but I think that the same maybe said of Megatron.

I saw Rice play at his best and loved him but the idea of the QB just throwing the ball for grab game after game after game and this guy making plays like he does is something I have only seen on Madden it is simply CRAZY!!!!

And I mean that as no slight to Revis, since he is such an effective CB in an age when the rules have tremendously limited the CB's effectiveness.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis #5.

Thats about right. Personally I would put Ware ahead but either way is OK.

Brady came in at #4. If #4 could be a snub for one player, it is Brady.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I was all off.

Had Rodgers at #1, he ranked 1st.

Had Revis at #2, he ranked 5th.

Had Willis at #3, he ranked 10th.

Had Calvin Johnson at #4, he ranked 3rd.

Had Brady ranked at #5, he ranked 4th.

Had Brees ranked at #6, he ranked 2nd.

Had Ware ranked at #7, he ranked 6th.

Had Ngata ranked at #8, he ranked 9th.

Had Fitzgerald ranked #9, he ranked 7th.

Had Peterson ranked 10th he ranked 8th.

I guess we should be proud of the fact that we have the #1 ranked defensive player in the game today. Darrelle Revis!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CleatMarks;4496819]Mangold yes, D'Brick, not based on last year.

Maybe his injury and the team's record hurt his visibility this year (Mangold). A lot of players dropped down or off the list based on team success this past year.

It's like the Pro Bowl though, it's a popularity contest to some extent.[/QUOTE]

Then why does A Peterson and his 950 yards make anyones top 10?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4502466]Then why does A Peterson and his 950 yards make anyones top 10?[/QUOTE]

Because he put up those 970 yards and 12 TD's with an average of 4.7 yards per carry during only 12 games of play. Yes, he got hurt, but that doesn't change the fact that he had an excellent season. The best running back in the game, without question. I really hope to see Adrian Peterson fully recover 100% from injury, because he's only behind Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Ladainian Tomlinson as the greatest HB's I've ever seen play the game of football. I can't rank him ahead of any of these all-time greats just yet, but AP does combine for the greatest mixture of size, speed and power that I've ever witnessed.

After 5 seasons of play, Smith had rushed for 7,183 yards, 71 TD's with an average of 4.40 yards per carry.

After 5 seasons of play, Peterson has rushed for 6,752 yards, 64 TD's with an average of 4.8 yards per carry.

If Peterson doesn't go down last year, he was on pace for a 1,293 yard/16 TD type of season. Which could have put up at 7,075 rushing yards and 68 career rushing TD's ala right on pace with Smith's first 5 seasons of play. Hopefully Peterson can recover and return to previous form. I truly believe that if anyone can recover from a nasty injury such as Peterson's injury? It's Peterson himself.

Truthfully, what Peterson has done during his first 5 years has impressed me more when thinking back on what Smith did during his first 5 seasons (which were great). Peterson has had top run blocking offensive lines over the years, but not in comparison to some of the greatest Cowboy offensive line's the NFL has ever seen. Peterson hasn't had the QB's that Smith had in Troy Aikman with the Boys. Favre was aging during his two years in Minny while opposing defenses feared a prime Troy. Last but not least, Safety's had to account for Michael Irving on the outside, if only Peterson had a Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald type WR lined up on the outside, forget about it; because that's what Irving was of the early to mid 90's.

I've never once caught myself recording games of an opposing team, just to watch one player perform. But, I've caught myself doing it each of the past 4 seasons. Fell in love with AP's style of rushing attack during his rookie season and haven't had enough since. If the Jets play at 1:00 and the Patriots at 4:00, I'll be sure to catch both AFC East games. But after a tough Jets loss? I just pop in a tape of the Vikings in order to watch #28 run wild. Fast forward while the Vikings are on defense just to see Peterson toat the rock on the offensive side of the ball. He slashes through 8-9 man fronts, runs through/over LB's and runs right past CB's and Safety's. I've just never seen his mixture of size, speed and power mixed into one.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-28-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502475]Because he put up those 970 yards and 12 TD's with an average of 4.7 yards per carry during only 12 games of play. Yes, he got hurt, but that doesn't change the fact that he had an excellent season. The best running back in the game, without question. I really hope to see Adrian Peterson fully recover 100% from injury, because he's only behind Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Ladainian Tomlinson as the greatest HB's I've ever seen play the game of football. I can't rank him ahead of any of these all-time greats just yet, but AP does combine for the greatest mixture of size, speed and power that I've ever witnessed.

After 5 seasons of play, Smith had rushed for 7,183 yards, 71 TD's with an average of 4.40 yards per carry.

After 5 seasons of play, Peterson has rushed for 6,752 yards, 64 TD's with an average of 4.8 yards per carry.

If Peterson doesn't go down last year, he was on pace for a 1,293 yard/16 TD type of season. Which could have put up at 7,075 rushing yards and 68 career rushing TD's ala right on pace with Smith's first 5 seasons of play. Hopefully Peterson can recover and return to previous form. I truly believe that if anyone can recover from a nasty injury such as Peterson's injury? It's Peterson himself.

Truthfully, what Peterson has done during his first 5 years has impressed me more when thinking back on what Smith did during his first 5 seasons (which were great). Peterson has had top run blocking offensive lines over the years, but not in comparison to some of the greatest Cowboy offensive line's the NFL has ever seen. Peterson hasn't had the QB's that Smith had in Troy Aikman with the Boys. Favre was aging during his two years in Minny while opposing defenses feared a prime Troy. Last but not least, Safety's had to account for Michael Irving on the outside, if only Peterson had a Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald type WR lined up on the outside, forget about it; because that's what Irving was of the early to mid 90's.

I've never once caught myself recording games of an opposing team, just to watch one player perform. But, I've caught myself doing it each of the past 4 seasons. Fell in love with AP's style of rushing attack during his rookie season and haven't had enough since. If the Jets play at 1:00 and the Patriots at 4:00, I'll be sure to catch both AFC East games. But after a tough Jets loss? I just pop in a tape of the Vikings in order to watch #28 run wild. Fast forward while the Vikings are on defense just to see Peterson toat the rock on the offensive side of the ball. He slashes through 8-9 man fronts, runs through/over LB's and runs right past CB's and Safety's. I've just never seen his mixture of size, speed and power mixed into one.[/QUOTE]

I don't really care what he did before or what he averaged in the short term. You put down a lot of words just to say he didn't play enough to be in anyones top 10. I questioned why people automatically put him in as a response to people who said it was for the year, not career. On it's own, 2011, he falls short

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4502489]I don't really care what he did before or what he averaged in the short term. You put down a lot of words just to say he didn't play enough to be in anyones top 10. I questioned why people automatically put him in as a response to people who said it was for the year, not career. On it's own, 2011, he falls short[/QUOTE]

95% of those who voted (NFL players) would struggle to understand what DWC just wrote. There's no need to overthink it. The center position in particular is extremely difficult to evaluate, by pro coaches let alone the players. The Jets O-line struggled last season, so Mangold is going to receive less credit among them, it's as simple as that. ADP has been the best back in the league for a few years now, missing 4 games isn't going to impact his cache with the rest of players too much. And as DWC pointed out, even in 12 games he had a great "ADP-like" season rate-wise.

I bet most D-linemen around the league know exactly how good Mangold still is.

Does anyone realize how unscientific these rankings really are? It's for entertainment purposes only.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-28-2012 at 03:52 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4502489] [B]You put down a lot of words [/B]just to say he didn't play enough to be in anyones top 10.[/QUOTE]

And stats

Don't forget about the stats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    A top 100 list of NFL players that fails to include Mangold...a HOF player is as meaningless as a HOF that includes Richie Ashburn and Bill Mazeroski and leaves out Gil Hodges and Pete Rose...

MEANINGLESS

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4502493]Does anyone realize how unscientific these rankings really are?[B] It's for entertainment purposes only.[/B][/QUOTE]

Great point, which is why I'm having so much fun with the whole concept that the Jets own the rights to the NFL's greatest defensive player in Darrelle Revis. All in good fun. Just entertaining to say the least.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4502496]A top 100 list of NFL players that fails to include Mangold...a HOF player is as meaningless as a HOF that includes Richie Ashburn and Bill Mazeroski and leaves out Gil Hodges and Pete Rose...

MEANINGLESS[/QUOTE]

I understand where you're coming from sg3, because I myself felt the same way when I first found out that Mangold wasn't mentioned as a top 20 player. But then, I started to understand the concept of this ranking/list of top 100 NFL Players.

If this were 2009 or 2010, Nick Mangold would have been on this list. In 2009 we made it to the AFC Championship game and set a Franchise record for most rushing yards during a single season. Mangold was healthy and led the way. In 2010 we ranked top 5 in rushing. Last year? Not only was Mangold hurt, missed a couple games, and took a good 3-4 games before getting back to form but the Jets offensive line (being led by Mangold) struggled as a whole. We only ranked 22nd in rushing yards, 30th in average yards per carry and only 12th in rushing TD's. When you combine the fact that Mangold missed a couple games, took a couple games to get back to previous form, our run game struggles etc, etc... And you'll understand why Mangold wasn't listed as one of the top 100 performers of 2011.

With all that said, if this were a list of the current top 100 NFL players? Both Ferguson (A franchise LT) and Nick Mangold (An All-Pro Center) would be listed. So would Peyton Manning. Guys such as Tim Tebow wouldn't be on this list. The last time they created this list? I believe Mangold was ranked 47th and Ferguson ranked 79th heading into last season.

It is what it is, Mangold has had a great career dating back to 2006, will continue to have a great career starting in 2012 but last season? 2011 was a down year for not only Ferguson and Mangold, but for our entire offensive line. Looking forward to watching these guys bounce back stronger than ever. They'll make the list heading into 2013. Guaranteed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    on any given day revis is always the best player on the field. what more needs to be said, it doesn't matter if he plays aaron rodgers, brady, calvin johnson or whoever, he shuts them all down. isn't that what the best played in the nfl is supposed to be like? he raped calvin johnson, how is THAT guy even ahead of him? retarded..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4502493]95% of those who voted (NFL players) would struggle to understand what DWC just wrote. There's no need to overthink it. The center position in particular is extremely difficult to evaluate, by pro coaches let alone the players. The Jets O-line struggled last season, so Mangold is going to receive less credit among them, it's as simple as that. ADP has been the best back in the league for a few years now, missing 4 games isn't going to impact his cache with the rest of players too much. And as DWC pointed out, even in 12 games he had a great "ADP-like" season rate-wise.

I bet most D-linemen around the league know exactly how good Mangold still is.

Does anyone realize how unscientific these rankings really are? It's for entertainment purposes only.[/QUOTE]

Look, don't need an explanation. I clearly said that I wrote in response to someone who said the list is compiled based on one years performance. If thats the case A Peterson doesn't belong on the list.

Now tell me why he's 8th and Mangold isn't on the list?

Nothing more than that.

All the career numbers in the world changes nothing.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-28-2012 at 09:57 AM.