Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rank the Top 10

All Pro
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4496886]I bet Calvin Johnson is ranked ahead of Revis despite the fact Revis shut him down in a head to head match up - by definition making him a better player.

Offense will always get the nod.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case then Revis should be ahead of Brees Brady and Rodgers too.

[QUOTE=124;4496823]1. Tom Brady
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Aaron Rodgers
    4. Calvin Johnson
    5. Darrelle Revis
    6. DeMarcus Ware
    7. Adrian Peterson
    8. Haloti Ngata
    9. Larry Fitzgerald
    10. Patrick Willis[/QUOTE]
    Good list but I'd have Rodgers ahead of Brady and Revis ahead of Johnson. Apart from that its good.

Still can't understand how Mangold didn't make the list. Its farcical

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496877]It was a slight to Mangold though, how did they include Ryan Kalil and leave Mangold out? This is what they wrote up about Kalil.

"Kalil has started 16 games for three consecutive seasons, and he was the anchor of the offensive line that paved the way for Cam Newton to become the 2011 NFL Rookie of the Year. The Panthers' offense finished fifth in the league in scoring and third in rushing."

So, they completely ignore the fact that before last season, Mangold started each and every game during his first 5 seasons in the league. They talk about Cam Newton becoming the 2011 rookie of the year but fail to mention that Mangold led the way for an offensive line and rushing attack that broke an all-time franchise record for most rushing yards during a single season back in 2009. They mention the Panthers ranked 3rd in rushing but forget the Jets also ranked top 5 in rushing during 2009 and 2010...

It gets even worse, they ranked Maurkice Pouncey ahead of Mangold as well. A Center who got drafted back in 2010. As if Mangold hasn't played at his level of play dating back to 2006....

It's just wrong how Mangold was left off their list.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, it's not a lifetime achievement list, but rather, the 2011 season specifically. Therefore, what Mangold did in 2006 - 2010 doesn't apply. Things that probably played a part in him getting left off the list are that he was injured during the season and that the Jets went 8-8 without setting any kind of notable records or being in the league leaders in any categories.

Hall Of Fame
    You guys need to get over Mangold not being on the list. He didn't play up to his standards early in the season and then got hurt. When he finally came back he didn't return to form until late in the season. Not to mention that IMO he started the season in terrible shape. As he has for the past couple of years. I think it finally caught up to him. Which I think is accurate b.c of the way he has showed up to OTAs and mini-camp this year. He looks to be in great shape this year, so obviously he thought he needed to improve that. Right now he is the third best behind Pouncey and Kalil. It is what it is. Not a knock. We are lucky to have him.

As for Brick, did any of you guys watch him last year?

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4496914]Good list but I'd have Rodgers ahead of Brady and Revis ahead of Johnson. Apart from that its good.

Still can't understand how Mangold didn't make the list. Its farcical[/QUOTE]

The players voted and my guess is that they felt his injury hampered his play last season and that now he's on the downside of his career. However, I agree with you. The fact that Mangold isn't on the list at all is pathetic. There's only one center in the league who may be better than him, and that's Ryan Kalil, yet Maurkice Pouncey was the highest rated center.

This list is seemingly more about the future of players rather than the 2011 season, which is what I thought it was about. Who knows. Jimmy Graham being the #1 TE, ahead of Andre Johnson, just confuses the crap out of me as well. One year in New Orleans' offense and he's anointed as the best TE and 14th best player in the game? Come on.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sg3;4496853]sums it up completely accurately

A "top 100" list that fails to include Nick Mangold is not a "top 100" list, it is a TOTAL BULLS--T LIST[/QUOTE]

Should have been a top by position ranking. Even those are ridiculously subjective and meaningless. Ranking individuals in an overwhelmingly team sport is stupidity.

1 Rodgers
    2 Revis
    3 Peterson
    4 Calvin Johnson
    5 Ngata
    6 Fitzgerald
    7 Brees
    8 Brady

Willis & Ware don't even belong in the top 10. They are not even the best linebackers. and anybody that has calvin johnson ahead of revis probably doesnt watch any football. revis owned him one on one. no debate
    Last edited by DaBallhawk; 06-21-2012 at 09:07 AM.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4496797]NFLN's Top 100 Player's of 2012 is now down to the Top 10. The remaining players are fairly obvious. Here they are in alphabetical order:

Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Calvin Johnson
    Haloti Ngata
    Adrian Peterson
    Darrelle Revis
    Aaron Rodgers
    DeMarcus Ware
    Patrick Willis

Rank 'em.[/QUOTE]

Aaron Rodgers
    Calvin Johnson
    Drew Brees
    Tom Brady
    Darrelle Revis
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Haloti Ngata
    Patrick Willis
    Haloti Ngata
    DeMarcus Ware

All Pro
    Aaron Rodgers
    Adrian Peterson
    Darrelle Revis
    Calvin Johnson
    Tom Brady
    Larry Fitzgerald
    DeMarcus Ware
    Haloti Ngata
    Drew Brees
    Patrick Willis

Banned
    [QUOTE=sg3;4496853]sums it up completely accurately

A "top 100" list that fails to include Nick Mangold is not a "top 100" list, it is a TOTAL BULLS--T LIST[/QUOTE]

This list was voted on by NFL players, not sportwriters and fans.

All League
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4497114]This list was voted on by NFL players, not sportwriters and fans.[/QUOTE]NFL players aren't all that smart. See: Tim Tebow. Or a FB miles ahead of people like Philip Rivers and Joe Thomas.

Banned
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tim Tebow
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=FF2;4497126]Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tim Tebow
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady
    Tom Brady[/QUOTE]

This really belongs on your left calf. Its exquisite.:yes:

Veteran
    Ok so Mangold doesn't make top 100 due to team record and injury but AP makes top 10 with the same issues? This doesn't compute. Granted AP is a GREAT player, but so is Mangold (at his position). And, yes, I understand RB is a more visible position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496855] [B]Yeah, but the reason why I can't rank Calvin Johnson ahead of Darrelle Revis, is because Revis has already shut Calvin Johnson down, which is something no man alive can do; other than Revis[/B]. Revis held Johnson to only 1 reception for 13 yards and 0 TD's back in 2010. That's why I have to have Revis ahead of Calvin Johnson.

I like your list, but I can't have Drew Brees ranked 10th coming off a 5,476 yards, 46 TD's with a QB rating of 110.6. Very underrated QB, will crack the top 5 in all time TD's thrown this up coming season.

And last but not least, I can't have Adrian Peterson coming off a season ending injury ranked ahead of anyone on that list. They all had amazing seasons last year.

The rest is a crap shoot.[/QUOTE]

2010 was the year Stafford only played 3 games because of injury.. Sanchez had a better day then Stafford in that overime win against the 6-10 Lions does that make him a better QB?? Revis has had problems with the Bills Steve Johnson does that him better then Revis?? You can't use just 1 game to judge anything IMO..

Banned
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4497147]2010 was the year Stafford only played 3 games because of injury.. Sanchez had a better day then Stafford in that overime win against the 6-10 Lions does that make him a better QB?? Revis has had problems with the Bills Steve Johnson does that him better then Revis?? [B][U]You can't use just 1 game to judge anything IMO[/U][/B]..[/QUOTE]

Even when the Jets beat the Pats in the playoffs?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4497154]Even when the Jets beat the Pats in the playoffs?[/QUOTE]

Yep Pats have been the better team even when they lose to the Giants..;)

Waterboy
    Aaron Rodgers
    Darrelle Revis
    Calvin Johnson
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees
    DeMarcus Ware
    Haloti Ngata
    Patrick Willis
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Adrian Peterson

But what does it really matter. The top 100 is hokie. No Mangold, means its not a real list!

[QUOTE=Savage69;4497147]2010 was the year Stafford only played 3 games because of injury.. Sanchez had a better day then Stafford in that overime win against the 6-10 Lions does that make him a better QB?? Revis has had problems with the Bills Steve Johnson does that him better then Revis?? You can't use just 1 game to judge anything IMO..[/QUOTE]

Disagree with a point of yours:

Sanchez didn't outplay Stafford that day. The Jets defense couldn't slow him down. If Stafford doesn't get hurt on a soft tackle by Bryan Thomas, the Jets don't make that comeback. Other than the awesome bomb to Braylon near the end of the first half, he didn't play particularly well for the first 55 minutes of that game.

Based solely off of 2011, Calvin was better than Revis. He was also better than Larry Fitzgerald, but I think overall that Fitzgerald is just as good as Calvin, if not slightly better. I won't be saying that that much longer, however.
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 06-22-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Aaron Rodgers
    Darrelle Revis
    Tom Brady
    Calvin Johnson
    Drew Brees
    DeMarcus Ware
    Adrian Peterson
    Haloti Ngata
    Patrick Willis
    Larry Fitzgerald