Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LeRoy Neiman, 1960's Artist And Namath Historian, Dies

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4497831]Did he sign any of them?[/QUOTE]

One is hand signed and the other is a lith sig. Walking around with a Leroy under your arm in the hopes that he'll sign his art is a little different than getting a few Sharpie autographs on a football. (-:

Thank you for asking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497433]You should see it now, all high end store front galleries with huge loft apartments on top. It's beyond trendy & the reason why the neighborhood snubs want to do away with the annual Feast of SanGennaro.

:([/QUOTE]

RIP to a great artist that really depicted the entire sports culture of the 70s.

I think the snubbery is overblown ... I work two blocks from Mulberry and like everyone else there that has to endure the crowds, street closures and traffic during the feasts , it's a love hate thing and would never really want them to go,away. The feast of St Anthony is not quite as good as San Gennero.mIt is kinda sad that they are not nearly as ethnic or religious as they used to be ... sort of takes away from the whole thing and makes it feel likes it's all about the $$$$.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497907]One is hand signed and the other is a lith sig. Walking around with a Leroy under your arm in the hopes that he'll sign his art is a little different than getting a few Sharpie autographs on a football. (-:

Thank you for asking.[/QUOTE]
    Well, you had mentioned that you met him a few times at gallery showings. Thinking that you might have had him sign something there. But I'm not familiar with the art environment. I did sports collectibles shows for 13 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4498233]Well, you had mentioned that you met him a few times at gallery showings. Thinking that you might have had him sign something there. But I'm not familiar with the art environment. I did sports collectibles shows for 13 years.[/QUOTE]

It's in very poor taste to bring "outside art" into an art gallery showing. That's like bringing your own happy meal to McDonald's. BTW - I went back & checked both my paintings, they are both indeed hand signed by LeRoy. Either way, I wouldn't sell them & very sad loss for the art world.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4497353]Jets should put some of those images on the season tickets this year in rememberance of Mr. Neiman.[/QUOTE]

Great idea...how about prints and on T-shirts too!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4497799]Tell me about it. Every year my cousins swear it's our last season setting up the stands until some liberal hipster comes along looking to start a petition to shut the feast down. Then all of a sudden it's "Hell No We Won't Go" & pay through the nose for the permits along with a decent donation to the church.

;)[/QUOTE]

The thing is the decline of Italian feasts started before the regeneration of many NY metropolitan neighborhoods. I don't know if it had to do with the catholic church and/or combination of the dwindling Italian neighborhoods. I recall atleast the feasts in red hook getting eliminated becasue the pastor of the church didn't like it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JETFAN1;4498542]The thing is the decline of Italian feasts started before the regeneration of many NY metropolitan neighborhoods. I don't know if it had to do with the catholic church and/or combination of the dwindling Italian neighborhoods. I recall atleast the feasts in red hook getting eliminated becasue the pastor of the church didn't like it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The 18th Avenue feast of Santa Rosalia in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn was huge for years. They finally put an end to it last year due to the change over in business ownership & neighborhood culture. That and nobody wanted to pay the "chip in fee" for the decorative overhead lighting, stand space, church donation, etc.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4498555]Agreed. The 18th Avenue feast of Santa Rosalia in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn was huge for years. They finally put an end to it last year due to the change over in business ownership & neighborhood culture. That and nobody wanted to pay the "chip in fee" for the decorative overhead lighting, stand space, church donation, etc.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess all things come to an end. 18th Ave has changed dramatically over the last 10 years so I'm not surprised at all it's done. I went to a feast in the Bronx a couple of weeks ago and it was tiny although they did have the singers there considering it was the first night and was a weekday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JETFAN1;4498571]Yeah I guess all things come to an end. 18th Ave has changed dramatically over the last 10 years so I'm not surprised at all it's done. I went to a feast in the Bronx a couple of weeks ago and it was tiny although they did have the singers there considering it was the first night and was a weekday.[/QUOTE]

I'm all for it so long as it doesn't create problems for the neighborhood & brings in additional revenue for the businesses that participate. But as you stated, when the neighborhood culture changes people aren't familiar with the premise of the feast and find it more of a nuisance then a source of entertainment & revenue.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the name of the famous bakery in Little Italy?

It's been so long since I've been there, I can't recall anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4498583]What's the name of the famous bakery in Little Italy? It's been so long since I've been there, I can't recall anymore.[/QUOTE]

Ferrara's on Mulberry & Grand Sts. Still there.

;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4498500]It's in very poor taste to bring "outside art" into an art gallery showing. That's like bringing your own happy meal to McDonald's. BTW - I went back & checked both my paintings, they are both indeed hand signed by LeRoy. Either way, I wouldn't sell them & very sad loss for the art world.[/QUOTE]
    I never mingled with the artsy fartsy crowd. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4496892][IMG]http://www.doubletakeart.com/images/00400-8218_large.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/89/d54cc48ec96b4659926a404617995d51/l.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://rogallery.com/_RG-Images/Neiman/Neiman-Jets-Colts.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2011/02/01/joenamth1969neimanwatercolor_1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt6akaBtk21qfoeuto1_500.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.doubletakeart.com/images/00400-8279_large.gif[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Nice job SAR! Classic pictures of Nieman's work. I'm sure every Namath and Ali fan is saddened by the passing of LeRoy Nieman too.

RIP LeRoy, A true Icon and Legend.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 06-22-2012 at 09:27 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    rip
    great talent