Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Panthers say thanks, but no thanks to WR Burress

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Report: Panthers say thanks, but no thanks to WR Burress

[url]http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82a01c28/report-panthers-say-thanks-but-no-thanks-to-wr-burress/[/url]

Plaxico Burress would love to be a member of the Carolina Panthers this season. Unfortunately for Burress, the feeling isn't mutual.

A team official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Charlotte Observer on Wednesday the Panthers are not interested in signing the veteran wide receiver.

As we've previously written , Burress is facing an uphill battle to continue his NFL career. Though he remained a capable red-zone target in his lone season with the New York Jets , Burress lacked the speed and separation ability that made him a Pro Bowl-caliber receiver with the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants .

The 22-month prison stay remains an ugly scar on Burress' résumé, but it's more likely the diminished skills on display last season that's keeping him out of work.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eventually he will be signed by someone and he will help a team in the red-zone as he did the Jets last season. There's no denying his frame in the red-zone and the double-teams he often requires there.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's no longer useful inside the 20's, but I'd love to see Plaxico back in green and white for red zone purposes only. With Hill and Burress on the outside, along with Holmes coming out of the slot? That could be a very tough red zone offense to contain, especially with Hill and Burress on the outsides. Burress would still create for a solid 4th option.

Holmes.
    Hill.
    Kerley.
    Burress.
    Chaz/Turner.

Why not?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=124;4496982]Eventually he will be signed by someone and he will help a team in the red-zone as he did the Jets last season. There's no denying his frame in the red-zone and the double-teams he often requires there.[/QUOTE]

Plax alone was the reason the Jets had such a great red zone conversion percentage last year.

The guy is deadly in the red zone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4496995]Plax alone was the reason the Jets had such a great red zone conversion percentage last year.

The guy is deadly in the red zone.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Hopefully Schilens and Hill will fill the bill.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Besides his decrease in ability (outside the redzone), I think teams are shying away from him because it is almost guaranteed that he was the 'anonymous' player bashing Schotty during the season and then Sanchez afterwards.

I think other teams are thinking if Plax would throw coaches/other players under the bus when he was essentially GIVEN the number 2 WR position from a team that owed him no loyalty, imagine what he would say/do when he is now the 4th WR and the team begins struggling.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=124;4496997]Exactly. Hopefully Schilens and Hill will fill the bill.[/QUOTE]

If the Jets had an extra roster spot (which I don't think they will), it would be worth it to bring Plax back for Red Zone situations only.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;4497011]Besides his decrease in ability (outside the redzone), I think teams are shying away from him because it is almost guaranteed that he was the 'anonymous' player bashing Schotty during the season and then Sanchez afterwards.

I think other teams are thinking if Plax would throw coaches/other players under the bus when he was essentially GIVEN the number 2 WR position from a team that owed him no loyalty, imagine what he would say/do when he is now the 4th WR and the team begins struggling.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

If the guy had an amazing attitude with the Jets and worked his tail off and kept his mouth shut, I bet he'd have a job by now even with his obviously diminished skills.

Instead he annonymously trashed and complained about the Jets and took shots at them as he walked out the door (changing his tune a few weeks later when he realized nobody wanted him).

He's finished.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I give way more credit to Tom Moore than I do to Plax. Our entire offensive approach was different in the red zone last year. Mostly in that we threw the ball a lot more.

In '09 and '10 we could have used Braylon the same way we did Plax in '11. Remember the game against the Patriots where we just threw a pair of jump balls to him in the corner? Yet we didn't continue to do that for the rest of the year.

Also, Plax got a large portion of his TDs in that one game against the Chargers. It's not as if he was a consistent threat. The "Plax is dangerous in the red zone" thing is something that you would think would be true, because of his frame, but there's not much evidence to back it up. He's caught 10 TDs twice in his 10 year career. The 8 that he caught last year was the 3rd best total of his career.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4497063]If the Jets had an extra roster spot (which I don't think they will), it would be worth it to bring Plax back for Red Zone situations only.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Plax is the ultimate luxury player. He only has value inside the red zone, and he's not going to play special teams, and he's 34, so he's not someone who can nurse for the future.

Actually, the 49ers wouldn't be a bad landing spot for him. Inefficient red zone offense (30th in NFL in TDs), but powerful defense, good special teams, and overall a good team who could certainly make some noise.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4496990]He's no longer useful inside the 20's, but I'd love to see Plaxico back in green and white for red zone purposes only. With Hill and Burress on the outside, along with Holmes coming out of the slot? That could be a very tough red zone offense to contain, especially with Hill and Burress on the outsides. Burress would still create for a solid 4th option.

Holmes.
    Hill.
    Kerley.
    Burress.
    Chaz/Turner.

Why not?[/QUOTE]

This post is suspiciously DWC-esque.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4497632]This post is suspiciously DWC-esque.[/QUOTE]

It's him. He openly has admitted it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4497632]This post is suspiciously DWC-esque.[/QUOTE]

Check out the "Sanchez Has Improved" thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4497063]If the Jets had an extra roster spot (which I don't think they will), it would be worth it to bring Plax back for Red Zone situations only.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this but I am not sure if he had a bad effect on the club house, and the Jets might not want him for that reason. Tone they have no choice.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just the fact that Plaxico couldn't make the Panthers roster, just goes to show how useless, awful, horrible etc, etc he really was for our offense inside the 20's. It was hard to watch at times. I would've been the first person to sign up for Plaxico as a red-zone target (as our 4th WR option) behind Holmes, Hill and Kerley, but after reading multiple reports pointing fingers at Plaxico in regards to being the 'unknown player' throwing both his offensive coordinator and quarterback under the bus, I'm not sure that's a good situation. I'd rather pass on Plaxico moving forward.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4496995]Plax alone was the reason the Jets had such a great red zone conversion percentage last year.

The guy is deadly in the red zone.[/QUOTE]

But he was also part of the reason Sanchez struggled between the 20's. His lack of separation left Sanchez with fewer open WR's to choose from.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=revischrist;4499591]But he was also part of the reason Sanchez struggled between the 20's. His lack of separation left Sanchez with fewer open WR's to choose from.[/QUOTE]

This alone made Plex totally not worth it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently Plax has pretty much shot himself in the foot as far as future NFL opportunity is concerned

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Plax?? Are you kidding?

He is a BUM!!

He was useless between the 20's last season

His 8 TD's in the red zone are overblown because of the Chargers game

He cant get separation

He BEGGED for a job in Philly......they passed

He BEGGED for a job in Carolina......they PASSED.

He is a locker room cancer

He threw his QB under the bus multiple times in the off season

He is probably the most ungrateful player I have ever seen that came straight out of jail for 2 years and got a guaranteed 3 mil payoff when nobody else wanted his arse....and he has nothing good to say about us.

I give it 3 weeks before he is talking about the next place that is the "right fit" for him.

He is lazy

He doesnt want to practice

He has a bullet hole in his leg

He is ugly

He is.....well you get the idea.........

A BUM!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jets_Penguin;4499650]He is a BUM!!

He was useless between the 20's last season

His 8 TD's in the red zone are overblown because of the Chargers game

He cant get separation

He BEGGED for a job in Philly......they passed

He BEGGED for a job in Carolina......they PASSED.

He is a locker room cancer

He threw his QB under the bus multiple times in the off season

He is probably the most ungrateful player I have ever seen that came straight out of jail for 2 years and got a guaranteed 3 mil payoff when nobody else wanted his arse....and he has nothing good to say about us.

I give it 3 weeks before he is talking about the next place that is the "right fit" for him.

He is lazy

He doesnt want to practice

He has a bullet hole in his leg

He is ugly

He is.....well you get the idea.........

A BUM!!![/QUOTE]

Thank you for not holding back & sharing. (-:

At this point I have to agree that is was a tried & failed experiment. I was all for giving him a shot, taking a chance and hoping he would work out. It didn't and the team moves on. I wish him much luck & success in the future.