Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middle schoolers bully bus monitor, ect

[QUOTE=acepepe;4498955]Recreated by the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88) and signed into law by[COLOR="Red"] President Jimmy Carter[/COLOR] on October 17, 1979, it began operating on May 4, 1980.[2]

NUFF SAID!!!!
    That to go along with the community "reinvestment act"
    Great man there!!! Just like the one we have now![/QUOTE]

Wait a minute you guys get pissed when Bush is brought up? Shouldn't you be out tonight?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4498687]I'm 26, and I went to a strict private Catholic High School, but grew up in public schools before that.

Always felt bad for the public school teachers, they had a very short leash when it comes to personal discretion on how to discipline children.

I was definitely one of the bad kids in class and it was very easy, because I knew exactly how far, not far at all, they could go in discipline.

In my High School it was a different story - I got suspended pending expulsion about two months into my sophomore year for accumulated demerits.

But it wasn't even just that the private institution had that ultimate chip - expulsion - which public schools rarely did, private school teachers could defend themselves in class. If someone made fun of the teacher, the teacher would shoot right back and make fun of the kid. That can end sh*t right there most of the time.

In public schools, god forbid the teacher responded in kind to a kid in that way, they would probably be fired.

The public education system needs serious reform.[/QUOTE]

My public school in NJ must be in a different world then. Kids have been expelled and forced to go to PRIVATE school because of fighting, bullying and other offenses. Kids are held accountable for their grades. Kids are held back.

Why is my experience so different? We have an enforced no bullying policy. Middle to low income area, pretty blue collar. A lot of immigrants. School is close to 50% Hispanic. Many parents struggle with English, but kids speak English and the kids interpret for them. Our back to school speech was translated to Spanish and all forms are double sided, English on 1, Spanish on the other.

Why are kids here getting a good education with little to no discipline issues? The school isn't a zoo, kids can walk the streets without fear. Maybe it is that we still have a sense of community?!?!?

Jets Insider VIP
    Rosey shaded glasses of old people.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498605]All of this gets solved through Charter Schools and a voucher system. My contention is that the good kids with the most potential need an avenue to get out of the horrible and unsafe schools they are zoned for. Only students or parents that care will bother to apply to these programs. In D.C. the voucher program has been wildly successful. In New Orleans almost the entire school system consists of charters. The beauty of the program is that parents and students get to make the choice. The Charters compete for the business. When the school is subpar people choose to go to a better one. The bad one goes out of business. On vouchers the key is to have income limits for those eligible. They should only cover needy families taking the whole left wing argument that vouchers help rich kids off the table.[/QUOTE]

+1000. Also, why do Catholic schools in NYC (almost all in bad hoods) outperform their PS counterparts by so much?? The numbers are insane.

[QUOTE=Tucker134;4499341]+1000. Also, why do Catholic schools in NYC (almost all in bad hoods) outperform their PS counterparts by so much?? The numbers are insane.[/QUOTE]

Philly must be an incredible school district. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4498605]All of this gets solved through Charter Schools and a voucher system. My contention is that the good kids with the most potential need an avenue to get out of the horrible and unsafe schools they are zoned for. Only students or parents that care will bother to apply to these programs. In D.C. the voucher program has been wildly successful. In New Orleans almost the entire school system consists of charters. The beauty of the program is that parents and students get to make the choice. The Charters compete for the business. When the school is subpar people choose to go to a better one. The bad one goes out of business. On vouchers the key is to have income limits for those eligible. They should only cover needy families taking the whole left wing argument that vouchers help rich kids off the table.[/QUOTE]

Charter schools are private schools. Private schools funded by tax payers money with fewer qualifications for teachers and administrators. Translation: Tax payers get to pay for unqualified teachers and administrators who push whatever company is funding the school's product onto the student. Charter schools ONLY choose the students who will make their school look good. Student doesnt produce, they get a letter stating that they MUST TRANSFER immediately to their zoned public school. It is a scrupulous way that companies brand children for life with their product. Who will fund charter schools? Only the largest corporations. How do you think the health lessons will be taught in the charter school funded by McDonalds? Think they will have any information about the link of fast food to diabetes and cancer? How about the school funded by Verizon? Any information taught to students about the link of cell phones and brain cancer?

Charter schools are not the way to go. It sells out the students unbiased education....

[QUOTE=Tucker134;4499341]+1000. Also, why do Catholic schools in NYC (almost all in bad hoods) outperform their PS counterparts by so much?? The numbers are insane.[/QUOTE]

1) Someone is funding the students education. Someone outside of the school is motivating that particular student to do well. Many students at public schools do not have this luxury.

2) Private schools can expel and dismiss students no questions asked. Public school must teach everyone no matter what the issue

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Are the nuns still cracking knuckles with a ruler?

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4499494]Are the nuns still cracking knuckles with a ruler?[/QUOTE]

No, but I taught in a catholic school about 11 years ago and they didnt want any mention of the Catholic Church's involvement in the transatlantic slave, Darwinism was quickly rushed through, and the Galileo's findings that the Earth was not the center of the planetary system was a bit uncomfortable to teach being that the Catholic church only recognized Galileo's findings in 1992!

Charter and private schools have their own agendas. Bad news for an unbiased education........

[QUOTE=copernicus;4499488]Charter schools are private schools. Private schools funded by tax payers money with fewer qualifications for teachers and administrators. Translation: Tax payers get to pay for unqualified teachers and administrators who push whatever company is funding the school's product onto the student. Charter schools ONLY choose the students who will make their school look good. Student doesnt produce, they get a letter stating that they MUST TRANSFER immediately to their zoned public school. It is a scrupulous way that companies brand children for life with their product. Who will fund charter schools? Only the largest corporations. How do you think the health lessons will be taught in the charter school funded by McDonalds? Think they will have any information about the link of fast food to diabetes and cancer? How about the school funded by Verizon? Any information taught to students about the link of cell phones and brain cancer?

Charter schools are not the way to go. It sells out the students unbiased education....[/QUOTE]

As a public school teacher I could not disagree with this post more. Anything that provides more incentive to work is EXACTLY what our education system needs. It's the best way to separate the kids who care from the ones who don't, and maybe more importantly, the parents who do/don't care.

And as a parent who cares, I'm much more concerned that my child is good at Math than that he knows too much McDonald's is bad for him. If that's the price I have to pay, it's WAY smaller than the $$ being spent under the current system.

In the interest of full disclosure, I already have my children in private (Christian) education. I do not trust the public schools for different reasons than most here. But as someone firmly entrenched in the system I can confidently say "unbiased education" is already a pipe-dream, and saying it would be worse in a charter school is far-fetched at best . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    No mention of the parents in all of this?

:dunno:

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

[QUOTE=cr726;4498958]Wait a minute you guys get pissed when Bush is brought up? Shouldn't you be out tonight?[/QUOTE]

I was til this morning and snapped this for you!
    [url]http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac222/peptex/[/url]

[QUOTE=acepepe;4499617]I was til this morning and snapped this for you!
    [url]http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac222/peptex/[/url][/QUOTE]

LOL

All Pro
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4499617]I was til this morning and snapped this for you!
    [url]http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac222/peptex/[/url][/QUOTE]

Sweet ass.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4499661]Sweet ass.[/QUOTE]

Maybe he should post HIS set.

[QUOTE=OCCH;4499586]As a public school teacher I could not disagree with this post more. Anything that provides more incentive to work is EXACTLY what our education system needs. It's the best way to separate the kids who care from the ones who don't, and maybe more importantly, the parents who do/don't care.

And as a parent who cares, I'm much more concerned that my child is good at Math than that he knows too much McDonald's is bad for him. If that's the price I have to pay, it's WAY smaller than the $$ being spent under the current system.

In the interest of full disclosure, I already have my children in private (Christian) education. I do not trust the public schools for different reasons than most here. But as someone firmly entrenched in the system I can confidently say "unbiased education" is already a pipe-dream, and saying it would be worse in a charter school is far-fetched at best . . .[/QUOTE]

What do we do with the students who do not get chosen by the charter school? The awful behavior issues? The unruly? The ones who will make the charter (private) school look bad because of the "oh so important" state exams?

[QUOTE=copernicus;4499862]What do we do with the students who do not get chosen by the charter school? The awful behavior issues? The unruly? The ones who will make the charter (private) school look bad because of the "oh so important" state exams?[/QUOTE]

The world needs ditch diggers too... maybe we do need another option for kids not interested in learning.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4499696]Maybe he should post HIS set.[/QUOTE]

lol

[QUOTE=Brooklyn Jet;4499873]The world needs ditch diggers too... maybe we do need another option for kids not interested in learning.[/QUOTE]

Excellent observation. Why is American society so over the top concerned with EVERY student passing the state exams to the point that they want the teachers fired over it? Maybe EVERY student is not geared for college.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4499862]What do we do with the students who do not get chosen by the charter school? The awful behavior issues? The unruly? The ones who will make the charter (private) school look bad because of the "oh so important" state exams?[/QUOTE]

I've met plenty of students who can't excel in a given subject, but none who can't be COMPETENT in one (learning disabilities aside).

If our students truly tried to do well in school, we'd be AMAZED at the results. It's not that they CAN'T do it, they just don't want to.

So why in the world would we allow the ones who refuse to give effort hold back the ones who do (and that's happening at an epidemic rate).

Let's give them incentive to work, and even the ones who "don't make the cut" will likely end up being more educated than they are now . . .