Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: REVIS; It's all Up To The GM

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4498355]Does Revis realize the Jets own him if he holds out?
    He may hold out every year but it doesn't change the fact that we own him for cheap for the next 5 years if he holds out.
    There's no way he sits out during his prime.[/QUOTE]

Jets had to give a third of the new stadium away for free because they could not sell PSL's, now they are going to not have their biggest star not in there, possible but I doubt it.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4498349]That can happen when the other 2 phases suck.[/QUOTE]

Of course. Not hating on the defense, but it wasn't some amazing force the last two years, mistakes on O and ST or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Matt39;4498232]Because they were desperate to get him into camp two years ago.[/QUOTE]
    So you're convinced that Tanny did indeed promise Revis that they would revisit his contract before the 2012 season started?

Therefore, you believe Revis has every right to hold out?

But if Tanny made that promise, why would he feel the need to put the holdout clause in the contract beyond this year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4498378]Jets had to give a third of the new stadium away for free because they could not sell PSL's, now they are going to not have their biggest star not in there, possible but I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

I believe Darrelle is just playing with the media & tossing out notions until camp starts. I mean seriously, nothing else going on, so why not stir the pot a little? On the other hand, if Darrelle is being serious I can assure you Mike T & Rex, especially Rex, will end him. Hell hath no fury like a GM & HC scorned.

If I'm right, & I think I am, once you cross a guy like Rex, he gets even by cutting you completely off never to be heard from again, not in his world anyway. One day I'll tell you the real story of Brian Schottenheimer's demise, but today is not that day.

Besides, it's the offseason circus & I'd rather hear more about LaRon Landry's monkey Gucci than this s#it over and over again.

;)

[QUOTE=Jordy;4498382]So you're convinced that Tanny did indeed promise Revis that they would revisit his contract before the 2012 season started?

Therefore, you believe Revis has every right to hold out?

But if Tanny made that promise, why would he feel the need to put the holdout clause in the contract beyond this year?[/QUOTE]

I'm not convinced of anything, and can only speculate, but my speculation is that Tanny said something at some point that could be interpreted by Revis as acknowledging the possiblity of negotiating an extension. Revis's folks can spin that as a promise to revisit, even if none was really made.

Makes sense to have the holdout clause anyway, since revisiting the contract doesn't mean both sided would agree on a new contract.

I like the Jets and watching the NFL in general but I'm getting tired of the diva behavior and contract nonsense.

That's one of the reasons I love the PGA Tour pros. You basically eat what you kill or you starve and lose your card...

Hall Of Fame
    Right now Revis is playing the only leverage he has which is the media. He is trying to scare the Jets into renegotiating, he is using the fear of the unknown. I will not believe he is holding out until he actually holds out. And if that happens, I hope they let him phucking rot for the next 3 years (or trade him to Minnesota for Harvin a #1 and a #2).

People are so scared of life without Revis. The Jets can exist without Revis.

If Tanny had any balls he would make a public statement that explains how the Jets have him by the balls and that he should just STFU.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jpoppy7;4498399]I'm not convinced of anything, and can only speculate, but my speculation is that Tanny said something at some point that could be interpreted by Revis as acknowledging the possiblity of negotiating an extension. Revis's folks can spin that as a promise to revisit, even if none was really made.

Makes sense to have the holdout clause anyway, since revisiting the contract doesn't mean both sided would agree on a new contract.[/QUOTE]
    I don't know what to believe either.

Revis is a greedy player who doesn't honor contracts and Tanny talks like a snake oil salesman.

So anything is possible.

Maybe this time they'll meet at Carnegie Deli instead of the upstate diner and part of the deal will be a sandwich named after Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4498380]Of course. Not hating on the defense, but it wasn't some amazing force the last two years, mistakes on O and ST or not.[/QUOTE]

I know your not hating, I think there is more of a correlation, but your right.

I actually feel bad for Rex. The locker room fell apart on him last year with some rent a vets backstabbing Sanchez, he got rid of those guys, smoothed things over with Scott and was only stuck with Holmes left from the malcontents. Now Revis has to muddy the waters. He knows he can not hold out as the FO anticipated Revis not being inclined to honor the existing contract thru the end and structured the contract with a poison pill.

This leaves Revis no leverage but to be a bad apple in the locker room and not to play unless he is close to 100%. Pretty soon the noises about the jets commitment to winning will be coming out of his mouth and How players like Gronk got his deal two years early.

The jets can't give in until next offseason, but my guess is that he is going to want Sanchez money in his new contract.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4498411]Right now Revis is playing the only leverage he has which is the media. He is trying to scare the Jets into renegotiating. I will not believe he is holding out until he actually holds out. And if that happens, I hope they let him phucking rot for the next 3 years (or trade him to Minnesota for Harvin a #1 and a #2).

People are so scared of life without Revis. The Jets can exist without Revis.

If Tanny had any balls he would make a public statement that explains how the Jets have him by the balls and that he should just STFU.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya but I think Tanny will avoid invective language in dealing with a player who could be one of the greatest CBs of all time.

[QUOTE=Gangrene;4498161][SIZE="5"]Revis: It's all up to Jets' GM[/SIZE]
    June, 21, 2012

10:02
    PM ET

Darrelle Revis, who appeared Thursday at a youth football clinic in his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa., reiterated that he hasn't made up his mind on whether to report to training camp. Basically, he said it's up to the Jets.

"I donít know," Revis told the Beaver County Times. "Thatís up to (general manager) Mike Tannenbaum. I really donít know."

Maybe it's reading too much into it, but by saying it's up to Tannenbaum, Revis seems to be leaning toward holding out for the second time in three years. His non-answer suggests something needs to happen by training camp -- either a new deal or perhaps an assurance by the team that it will negotiate in good faith.

Tannenbaum and owner Woody Johnson have evaded questions on whether they'd be open to re-working Revis' contract, saying they expect the All-Pro cornerback in camp. But from all indications, they have no interest in renegotiating.

"I do talk to Mike Tannenbaum when I see him in the building," Revis told the paper. "But we donít talk about contract issues. This will get resolved sooner or later."

Revis has two years, $13.5 million remaining on his contract. He made $32.5 million over the last two years, and now he's like a long-term deal with a similar average per year. Revis has insisted he's "not unhappy" with his current contract, but he believes the team promised him it would re-visit the deal after two years.

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com[/QUOTE]

Revis has a point here. If you sign a 4 year contract worth 100 million dollars, and you make 97 million in the first year and only 1 million in years 2-4, that is so unfair to the player that hes being paid well below fair market value in years 2-4.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=jetglass;4498503]Revis has a point here. If you sign a 4 year contract worth 100 million dollars, and you make 97 million in the first year and only 1 million in years 2-4, that is so unfair to the player that hes being paid well below fair market value in years 2-4.[/QUOTE]

Well then shame on him for agreeing to the deal in the first place.

Last time I checked, Darrelle's camp had Mikey T. pulling his hair out of his head while dropping everything to drive 3 hours to a diner in the middle of Nowhere, NY to hammer out a deal. Next time order the humble pie & everybody should come out a winner.

;)

[QUOTE=jetglass;4498503]Revis has a point here. If you sign a 4 year contract worth 100 million dollars, and you make 97 million in the first year and only 1 million in years 2-4, that is so unfair to the player that hes being paid well below fair market value in years 2-4.[/QUOTE]

Revis led the Jets to an 8 and 8 season last year, he's not close to the level of Deon Sanders. We could still win without him.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4498391]
    If I'm right, & I think I am[/QUOTE]

There's a shocker.

Banned

I take it you are not a math major or an investment professional.

That comment is absurd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4498529]There's a shocker.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why. You've been on this board long enough to know what time it is. However, please feel free to once again hold your breath until you can prove me wrong. Good luck with that.

:wavey:

Banned
    Oh well, last time Revis held out we made it as far as the AFC Championship game. :D

But in all seriousness, players are greedy. It's just the nature of the beast. They're living out a life dream, getting paid millions to play a sport that they've loved since childhood, the same sport that has hard working 9-5 types of fans gathering around the TV watching them perform come Sunday's, but nothing is ever good enough for these players. They always demand being paid as a top 5 player at their respected positions, being paid as to what they've done over the years, being paid just to be paid etc, etc. Whatever happened to honoring your rookie contract, and then honoring the contract you sign as a free agent etc, etc? Players holding out became old to me a long time ago. I remember when we had to franchise tag John Abraham before trading him to Atlanta. That whole situation sucked, but at least we landed Nick Mangold out of it. Long story short, as long as Revis comes to camp or at least lines up on opening day... I don't care anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4498552]Oh well, last time Revis held out we made it as far as the AFC Championship game. :D

Players holding out became old to me a long time ago. I remember when we had to franchise tag John Abraham before trading him to Atlanta. That whole situation sucked, but at least we landed Nick Mangold out of it. Long story short, as long as Revis comes to camp or at least lines up on opening day... I don't care anymore.[/QUOTE]

Ha, I remember the Johnny Abe hold out at Hofstra too. Didn't he run over Rich Cimini's foot as Cimini was chasing him out of the Netherlands cafeteria trying to get an interview?

;)

Screw "Mevis" he's strictly a me first guy and should be traded if he sits out the 2012 season. Enough is enough!:steamin: