Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIS; It's all Up To The GM

Banned
    [QUOTE=Braumeister;4498281]I agree. This is becoming very tiresome. He's a great player, but it's getting to the point where he's not worth dealing with him anymore.[/QUOTE]

The Giants have proven that you can win a Super Bowl with very average CB's.

If the Jets continue to build and develop their front 7, they won't miss Revis one iota.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4498283]Oh, they are gonna deal.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, it's a deal called enjoy the splinters & riding the stationary bike all season long. There is no room for hold outs this season.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4498290]The Giants have proven that you can win a Super Bowl with very average CB's.

If the Jets continue to build and develop their front 7, they won't miss Revis one iota.[/QUOTE]

Yep. A strong pass rush can make a mediocre secondary look good.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4498290]The Giants have proven that you can win a Super Bowl with very average CB's.

If the Jets continue to build and develop their front 7, they won't miss Revis one iota.[/QUOTE]

Corey Webster is definitely above average, but I agree with your overall point.

A beast front 7 makes up for a middle of the road secondary way more than a best secondary makes up for a middle of the road front 7.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Braumeister;4498292]Yep. A strong pass rush can make a mediocre secondary look good.[/QUOTE]

And that is exactly the reason the Jets have been experimenting with the 4-3 during OTA's and minicamp.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4498299]And that is exactly the reason the Jets have been experimenting with the 4-3 during OTA's and minicamp.[/QUOTE]

I don't get the whole "experimenting with the 4-3," crap that the media's been spewing. They've used the 4-3 quite a bit since Rex has been here.

The difference now is the personnel fits the scheme a little better, so they'll probably use it more.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

There isn't just one blueprint to having a dominant defense. I'm not suggesting that the Jets are lost without Revis, but to say they won't miss him is simply not true.

Improving their pass rush would certainly minimize losing Revis, but improving the pass rush whilst having a CB like Revis would make the defense that much more dangerous. Instead of having to cover for 5 seconds, he'd only have to cover for 3 (or some proportion thereof). That would allow him to play that much more aggressive, even in Cover 0 scenarios.

If you are going to say which is more important coverage or pass rush - I'll agree with you that I'll take a pass rush every time. But, lets not minimize the impact of Revis on this defense - he allows the Jets to do so much more than they otherwise could, scheme-wise, on account of his unique abilities. And they are unique.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4498293]Corey Webster is definitely above average, but I agree with your overall point.

A beast front 7 makes up for a middle of the road secondary way more than a best secondary makes up for a middle of the road front 7.[/QUOTE]

Really? Then why did the Jets have the best defense in the league in 2009, and a very good defense in 2010 and 2011, with a middle of the road front 7?

There are many ways to build a top defense. The Jets happen to have the best CB in the game. They don't have any beast front 7 players right now, and those players are hard to get.

You build your defense with the beast player you have, not the beast player you can imagine getting. Lose Revis and Jets have middle of the road talent in all areas of the D. Maybe at some point they get a great front 7 player, or their current players (Coples, Wilk) turn into that, but they don't have that player yet.

Not saying pay Revis whatever he wants, but it makes sense to work out a deal now, before Revis has even more leverage next offseason.

All Pro
    If he holds out for the third time in six seasons, it will cement his image as a pure scumbag. That has to be some kind of a pro sports record. Show some integrity and honor your contract.

I disagree that the jets have ALL the leverage here. Yes his contract has language beneficial to the team in the event of a holdout but at the end of the day we need revis playing or we need to be able to turn him into oher players.

We are unable to trade him until next offseason so we either allow our best player to sit out or we agree to some scenario that's gets him on the field. If he sits out and we don't budge, sure he loses but the Jets most likely lose more both on the field and with the press/fans not having their best player playing.

Revis got his deal and should at least play this season and revisit it next season but nothing he has ever done in his career leads me to believe he isnt holding out. This is going to be a problem for us....

Veteran
    I personally believe there is no way Revis will play out the next two years of his contract without an additional extension. To blame this on the media is ridiculous,

Here's additional information from Jason responding to a posters questions at NYJetscap.com

"Revis is not tradeable at any time. Its a unique deal because of those void years. His dead cap if traded next year would be $12 million. I guess if the Jets knew there was no way he would re-sign or he sat out all of 2012 they would do it anyway but who knows what it would do to their cap structure. Id recommend doing it post June 1 if he was holding out this way they just take a $3 million hit in 2013 and the $9 million in 2014.

That said I don't think the Jets can offer him much of a raise. In every valuation I run his current salary comes out as the correct number, maybe even a bit high.I just think anything more and you start hurting the team."

All League
    A couple of things:

- This constant complaining about his contract points to how bad of a
    businessman Revis is and how poor a job his agents do representing him.
    Two holdouts and now a threat of another one in six years is beyond
    ridiculous. You signed a 4 year contract and took about 75% of the
    money in the first two years. What did you expect to be paid in the
    final 2 years, there's only 25% left to be paid out!!!

- When this took place in 2010 he had the Jets over the barrel, we built
    our defense from the back to the front and needed his cover skills for
    the defense to work. But with the real possibility of finally having bookend
    DE's that can get 10+ sacks a year we can make do with a lesser CB

- If I remember properly if he holds out the contract automatically adds
    another 3 years. At this point I would have no problem trading him and
    getting back a #1 and additional picks

[QUOTE=jpoppy7;4498308]Not saying pay Revis whatever he wants, but it makes sense to work out a deal now, before Revis has even more leverage next offseason.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make sense to work out a deal now, if the deal they work out now ends up having to be revisited two years from now.

It's possible that Revis will have more leverage next offseason. It's also possible - as mentioned in this thread - that the Jets will be more willing to deal him based on what the rest of the defensive roster shows.

Revis is that guy you deal with when you have to. There is NO WAY to "lock him up." As long as he thinks he's the best defensive player in the league (which he's justified in thinking), no salary is going to be good enough for the duration.

SCREW REVIS! Put in Tebow and we will just outscore each team

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TampaT;4498320]SCREW REVIS! Put in Tebow and we will just outscore each team[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Jesus_a2e432_532010.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jpoppy7;4498308]Really? [B]Then why did the Jets have the best defense in the league in 2009, and a very good defense in 2010 and 2011[/B], with a middle of the road front 7?

There are many ways to build a top defense. The Jets happen to have the best CB in the game. They don't have any beast front 7 players right now, and those players are hard to get.

You build your defense with the beast player you have, not the beast player you can imagine getting. Lose Revis and Jets have middle of the road talent in all areas of the D. Maybe at some point they get a great front 7 player, or their current players (Coples, Wilk) turn into that, but they don't have that player yet.

Not saying pay Revis whatever he wants, but it makes sense to work out a deal now, before Revis has even more leverage next offseason.[/QUOTE]

Defense was great in '09, good in '10, and average in '11. Watch the games, 'specially the last 6:00.

Great player. He's just not endearing himself to anybody and is certainly coming off like a mercinary. Only an elite qb is something you can't replace. He's elite but there have been lots of elite cornerbacks that have been traded without a huge downside.

Obviously, that's not what the Jets want but if push comes to shove, the Jets will survive him.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4498342]Defense was great in '09, good in '10, and average in '11. Watch the games, 'specially the last 6:00.[/QUOTE]

That can happen when the other 2 phases suck.

[QUOTE=Gangrene;4498313]I personally believe there is no way Revis will play out the next two years of his contract without an additional extension. To blame this on the media is ridiculous,

Here's additional information from Jason responding to a posters questions at NYJetscap.com

"Revis is not tradeable at any time. Its a unique deal because of those void years. His dead cap if traded next year would be $12 million. I guess if the Jets knew there was no way he would re-sign or he sat out all of 2012 they would do it anyway but who knows what it would do to their cap structure. Id recommend doing it post June 1 if he was holding out this way they just take a $3 million hit in 2013 and the $9 million in 2014.

That said I don't think the Jets can offer him much of a raise. In every valuation I run his current salary comes out as the correct number, maybe even a bit high.I just think anything more and you start hurting the team."[/QUOTE]

Jason is awesome but the cap hit this year is manageable and while $12 million in deap cap would suck next year, Revis would likely be replaced with a couple of rookies from the picks we would get from him, and there are a bunch of other things the Jets can do including borrowing from the 2014 cap.

There is 100% chance he is holding out, contract clause be damned.

Jets have two options:

1. Hold him to the contract period, including fining him the maximum possible for missed time. Do not blink

2. Trade him now.

I just do not believe the Jets can cave again to him. He is just NOT that valuable. Yes, he may be the best defensive CB in the NFL, but at some point you just cannot pay Mevi$ what he thinks he is worth.

Does Revis realize the Jets own him if he holds out?
    He may hold out every year but it doesn't change the fact that we own him for cheap for the next 5 years if he holds out.
    There's no way he sits out during his prime.