Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets, Giants file lawsuit against American Dream developer

Jets, Giants file lawsuit against American Dream developer

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas

Jets, Giants file lawsuit against American Dream developer: In a lawsuit filed in state court in Bergen County,

The Jets and Giants have sued to halt any attempt at construction of the American Dream retail-and-entertainment complex, according to a report by NorthJersey.com.

In a lawsuit filed in state Superior Court in Bergen County, the football teams claim the stalled project's developer, Triple Five, never obtained their consent for a larger complex, according to the report, citing a 2006 agreement that requires consent if changes could adversely effect game days.

Triple Five, the owner of Minnesota's Mall of America, is trying to wrap up nearly $2 billion in financing to finish the project, the website said, which was approved by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority in 2003 under the name "Xanadu."

The mega-American Dream complex is scheduled to have the first indoor snow park in North America, as well as a giant Ferris wheel, and an amusement and water park.

All League
    When I see the fiasco that is "Xanadu," I imagine Tony Soprano bidding on the Esplenade.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    When I see the fiasco that is "Xanadu," I imagine Tony Soprano bidding on the Esplenade.
    LOL.

All League
    more info from ESPN . . .

The New York Giants and New York Jets are seeking an injuction that would prevent the Triple Five Group from rehabilitating the American Dream retail and entertainment venue at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, N.J., according to a report Friday on NorthJersey.com.

The website said the teams filed a suit in state court in Bergen County that alleges Triple Five, an Edmonton-based developer that also owns Mall of America in Minnesota, did not receive their consent to expand the project, known as "Xanadu."

Xanadu would hold the first indoor snow park in North America and 1 million square feet in retail space, as well as an amusement and water park that is specific to Triple Five's revised plans.

In the suit, the Giants and Jets cite a 2006 agreement between the teams, former developer Mills Corp. and state agency New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority that requires "prior written consent" if modifications on Xanadu are made that would have negative affects on football game days, NorthJersey.com reported.

New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority also is named in the suit, according to the website.

Both the Giants and Jets play at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands.

"The success and goodwill of the (teams') business depends on providing patrons with an enjoyable experience on the limited number of days when events are held at MetLife Stadium," team attorneys assert in the lawsuit, according to the website. "Traffic and parking problems have consistently been among the most important areas of concern for patrons" on game days.

Some 55 million patrons could visit American Dream each year, developers have estimated.

Spokespeople for Triple Five and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority told NorthJersey.com that they had not seen the teams' lawsuit and had no comment.

OMG, just let them finally finish the thing already!

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    OMG, just let them finally finish the thing already!
    Just implode it and move on!

Something tells me an agreement will be reached where it will be closed on all Sunday's in which the Jets and Giants are home.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Something tells me an agreement will be reached where it will be closed on all Sunday's in which the Jets and Giants are home.
    Better be, otherwise we are f**cked on game days

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    A mall that's closed on every Sunday in the fall. Sounds like a great proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    A mall that's closed on every Sunday in the fall. Sounds like a great proposition.
    No different from Garden State Plaza or any other Bergen County mall, by virtue of Bergen County's Messozaic Era Blue Law. The only difference is that this monstrosity is supposed to be more than just a shopping mall. It's to be an amusement park as well, which would not be subject to the prehistoric blue Law.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    No different from Garden State Plaza or any other Bergen County mall, by virtue of Bergen County's Messozaic Era Blue Law. The only difference is that this monstrosity is supposed to be more than just a shopping mall. It's to be an amusement park as well, which would not be subject to the prehistoric blue Law.
    All of these things were debated when the WSS was being considered. Those of us saying we were in favor of the WSS were often vilified for pointing these things out at that time.

Just sayin....

All Pro
    The Jets and Giants are suing to crush the American Dream. I hope they never want to run for office.

All League
    New Jersey should sue the architect of the existing monstrosity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

What a nightmare this could be in December with holiday shopping and don't forget flex games. Do you think an entire mall is going to wait & see what days/nights the NFL and TV networks favor as a Monday night game?

Just another clusterf#uk in a long line of clusterf#uks when it comes to the development around the swamps of East Rutherford, NJ. I'm not crazy about the stadium design either, but the train to the game is a wise alternative to traffic and winning has a way of making Metlife look so much better on gamedays.

I hate to say it, but the Gints are Super Bowl champions, certainly that should hold some weight in future negotiations too.
    Last edited by Limolady; 06-24-2012 at 07:40 PM.

All Pro

I'm going to have to think about that one.

Banned
    If only the Jets could play in Queens, or even Manhattan ala the heart of New York City. I guess we'll never see that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Amusement park?? How is that possible??

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

What kind of idiot would decide to go to an indoor snow palace at the time of a football game at the Meadowlands?

"There's going to be 82k ppl at the stadium next door....parking shouldn't be too bad."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    What kind of idiot would decide to go to an indoor snow palace at the time of a football game at the Meadowlands?

"There's going to be 82k ppl at the stadium next door....parking shouldn't be too bad."
    The same kind of idiot who thought building an indoor snow palace in NJ was a good idea.

Seriously, you would be surprised how many people don't follow football and would have no idea that a game was scheduled. Frankly, even if they close the ShipHole on game days, there will be people who will show up. Some of them will drive up, pay $25 to park, and walk all the way to the front door b/f they realize that it is closed.