Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets, Giants file lawsuit against American Dream developer

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    What kind of idiot would decide to go to an indoor snow palace at the time of a football game at the Meadowlands?

"There's going to be 82k ppl at the stadium next door....parking shouldn't be too bad."
    I always wonder why anyone would be doing anything during football. What the hell is wrong with people?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    What kind of idiot would decide to go to an indoor snow palace at the time of a football game at the Meadowlands?

"There's going to be 82k ppl at the stadium next door....parking shouldn't be too bad."
    Parking will be fine. The shoppers won't have the passes to park in stadium lots and the fans won't want to park far away at the mall. Getting to and from the area could present a challenge though.

Quote Originally Posted by Limolady View Post
    What a nightmare this could be in December with holiday shopping and don't forget flex games. Do you think an entire mall is going to wait & see what days/nights the NFL and TV networks favor as a Monday night game?

Just another clusterf#uk in a long line of clusterf#uks when it comes to the development around the swamps of East Rutherford, NJ. I'm not crazy about the stadium design either, but the train to the game is a wise alternative to traffic and winning has a way of making Metlife look so much better on gamedays.
    Clusterfu*k indeed. Surprised to hear it from you Sue, but you are 100% on the mark.

All League
    So, if Xanadu is kept within certain size requirements then everything is okay?

Jets and Giants are afraid traffic congestion will deter fans and hurt ticket sales?

Shoppers have all week to shop. Games at Metlife are once a week at most.

If anything, the games will hurt the retailers more on game day unless fans use those days to hit the mall before and/or after the games too.

With an obliterated economy, it's possible Xanadu and football will benefit each other.

Note: no home games the week before Christmas. Jets are home on SNF Dec 23. That's potentially 82,566 more Xanadu shoppers two days before Christmas.

Since when does NY/NJ not love a good holiday madhouse?

_
    Last edited by jetrider; 06-28-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Just implode it and move on!
    Mebbe we can get a two for one.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Once the Jets and giants get free retail space for their team stores the whole issue goes away.

Not much new here except the accusations are getting more creative. On the one hand it might be a good place to drop off the wife and kids on game day... but you know the first thing that will happen is an attempt to ban tailgating as a bad influence on kids. I don't want anyone messing with my constitutional right to drink myself stupid and act like a moron in public.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7SHF?u...=new-york-jets

"We are disappointed that this issue could not be resolved prior to filing suit," Giants co-owner John Mara said in a statement. "Yet, we cannot allow any actions to negatively impact our fans' commute, tailgating and game day experience."
    James Cassella, the mayor of East Rutherford, where the complex is, had a different take. He told The Associated Press that "it's a telling sign that these two New York-based teams are throwing up legal roadblocks to an economic enterprise that will benefit thousands of people in the region. They don't want to be good neighbors. They just want to exploit New Jersey."
    Gov. Chris Christie has yet to comment publicly on the lawsuit.
    Triple Five officials called the lawsuit "frivolous" in a statement. They claimed that "in suing the State of New Jersey and our company, the teams have revealed they want to exert monopolistic control over the entire complex. They want to tell us when and how we can operate our business. I am sure they would not want us to tell them when they can play their football games."
    The company claimed that its year-round entertainment complex "is perfectly compatible with [the teams'] occasional use of their stadium," and that though the teams wear the words "New York" on their uniforms, "they need to consider what is best for New Jersey, its citizens and taxpayers."

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Not much new here except the accusations are getting more creative. On the one hand it might be a good place to drop off the wife and kids on game day... but you know the first thing that will happen is an attempt to ban tailgating as a bad influence on kids. I don't want anyone messing with my constitutional right to drink myself stupid and act like a moron in public.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d7SHF?u...=new-york-jets

"We are disappointed that this issue could not be resolved prior to filing suit," Giants co-owner John Mara said in a statement. "Yet, we cannot allow any actions to negatively impact our fans' commute, tailgating and game day experience."
    James Cassella, the mayor of East Rutherford, where the complex is, had a different take. He told The Associated Press that "it's a telling sign that these two New York-based teams are throwing up legal roadblocks to an economic enterprise that will benefit thousands of people in the region. They don't want to be good neighbors. They just want to exploit New Jersey."
    Gov. Chris Christie has yet to comment publicly on the lawsuit.
    Triple Five officials called the lawsuit "frivolous" in a statement. They claimed that "in suing the State of New Jersey and our company, the teams have revealed they want to exert monopolistic control over the entire complex. They want to tell us when and how we can operate our business. I am sure they would not want us to tell them when they can play their football games."
    The company claimed that its year-round entertainment complex "is perfectly compatible with [the teams'] occasional use of their stadium," and that though the teams wear the words "New York" on their uniforms, "they need to consider what is best for New Jersey, its citizens and taxpayers."
    I love how when someone doesn't have a good argument, they bring up the old, "They wear NY on their uniforms" argument.

C'mon guys, that conversation died years ago.......the NFL is a global organization. I travel a lot, and when they ask me where I am from, I say NJ. They look at me kind of funny until I say I live 25 KM from NY. Face it, the world knows NY.

But as for the teams stopping the mall, it isn't going to happen. This is just posturing for a seat at the decision making table.......Someone above said it best, this goes away once each team gets their own Team Store in the mall.

And really, is mall traffic really going to impact that bad on game traffic? I think people will learn to stay away from the mall on Sundays, just to avoid the game traffic,not fans avoiding the games because of a little extra mall traffic.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rgoltsch View Post
    I love how when someone doesn't have a good argument, they bring up the old, "They wear NY on their uniforms" argument.

C'mon guys, that conversation died years ago.......the NFL is a global organization. I travel a lot, and when they ask me where I am from, I say NJ. They look at me kind of funny until I say I live 25 KM from NY. Face it, the world knows NY.

But as for the teams stopping the mall, it isn't going to happen. This is just posturing for a seat at the decision making table.......Someone above said it best, this goes away once each team gets their own Team Store in the mall.

And really, is mall traffic really going to impact that bad on game traffic? I think people will learn to stay away from the mall on Sundays, just to avoid the game traffic,not fans avoiding the games because of a little extra mall traffic.
    There are really people that never heard of NJ? I mean NJ is really just half a suburb of NYC, half a suburb of Philly, and half a pine baron but I would think most people have heard of it. What's a KM and how many is the stadium from NYC? I'll bet a lot closer than Shea was

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    There are really people that never heard of NJ? I mean NJ is really just half a suburb of NYC, half a suburb of Philly, and half a pine baron but I would think most people have heard of it. What's a KM and how many is the stadium from NYC? I'll bet a lot closer than Shea was
    Lol. The people I am speaking of are from places like China or Germany. Do you know what state Berlin is in? Or what province Shaghai is in?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by rgoltsch View Post
    Lol. The people I am speaking of are from places like China or Germany. Do you know what state Berlin is in? Or what province Shaghai is in?
    Is that a trick question? Yes I have heard of Berlin, the city, and the State. The German states are changing all the time though. A State is equivalent to a Country. In America we forget that. We are actually supposed to be sovereign, and only joined in a union with the other 49. Shanghai is also not in a province, but is itself the equivalent of a province, and I have heard of it. NJ was one of the original colonies, and I think most people in the world should have heard of it. Maybe not if you ask them what State Newark was in, but if you asked if they ever heard of it.

Different animal, but Kraft has developed a pretty large retail complex attached to Gillette, and parking isn't an issue on game days. Kind of petty for the teams to block the development. I mean really, they'd rather have a bankrupt empty entity next door?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Different animal, but Kraft has developed a pretty large retail complex attached to Gillette, and parking isn't an issue on game days. Kind of petty for the teams to block the development. I mean really, they'd rather have a bankrupt empty entity next door?
    Well they had an agreement, and now they are proposing different terms without revisiting the agreement. It's only prudent that they file suit. They can't allow them to set a president of keeping them out of the loop on these kinds of decisions.

Rookie
    Is that a trick question? Yes I have heard of Berlin, the city, and the State. The German states are changing all the time though. A State is equivalent to a Country. In America we forget that. We are actually supposed to be sovereign, and only joined in a union with the other 49. Shanghai is also not in a province, but is itself the equivalent of a province, and I have heard of it. NJ was one of the original colonies, and I think most people in the world should have heard of it. Maybe not if you ask them what State Newark was in, but if you asked if they ever heard of it.
    Ok, so you know. You are, most likely, one of the few that do know. And while it wasn't a trick question (I picked two cities off the top of my head that most Americans would know, it was pure coincidence that the two I named are city/states), I was simply trying to make a point that unless they have been there, many people don't learn the details of other countries. With my travels, I try to learn as much as I can about the places I visit.

But many of the people that I have had the chance to work with overseas know New York, but not New Jersey. This is my experience. I have to explain that I live nearby to NYC.

And people here in the US are actually far worse in learning about foreign countries. Heck, most here don't even know who the Prime Minister of Canada is.

Rookie
    I do agree with you on the empty place next door......I would think it is better to have the place open. I still stick to the idea that this is simply a negotiation tactic, keeping their options open.

Shea WAS in NYC

Jets Insider VIP
    Jet Life is something like 4 miles closer to the Empire State Building than the broken down dump in Corona was

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Different animal here because the stadium is in Bergen County which has two huge malls and dozens of strip malls within a 20 minute radius that are all closed on Sunday's due to blue laws that weren't repealed like they were in MA, ME, and NH.

Today, for example, if I wanted to go to Macy's or Target I've got to drive 40 minutes to another county instead of the customary 10 it would take to get to the massive Garden State Plaza. If American Dream has an ulterior motive (and I bet it might) it would be to put better stores there than the original stupid concept and become the only mall open on Sunday in Bergen County which would be a goldmine and most definitely create a traffic mess for NFL Sunday's.

I have a feeling that's what's going on here. The original project was about a tourist attraction with interactive rides and I think the new developers want to make it the only legit mall in Bergen County open on Sunday. The Jets and Giants would have a definite issue as would we the fans.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    So, if Xanadu is kept within certain size requirements then everything is okay?

Jets and Giants are afraid traffic congestion will deter fans and hurt ticket sales?

Shoppers have all week to shop. Games at Metlife are once a week at most.

If anything, the games will hurt the retailers more on game day unless fans use those days to hit the mall before and/or after the games too.

With an obliterated economy, it's possible Xanadu and football will benefit each other.

Note: no home games the week before Christmas. Jets are home on SNF Dec 23. That's potentially 82,566 more Xanadu shoppers two days before Christmas.

Since when does NY/NJ not love a good holiday madhouse?

_
    Bergen county must love the thought of all of that new sales tax money. Maybe they could use some of it on some new roads

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Shea WAS in NYC
    +1

Also, "NJ is really just half a suburb of NYC, half a suburb of Philly, and half a pine baron" ... LOL.

Reminds me of “Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical” - by Yogi Berra.