Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2012 Jets Coaching Staff

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

The 2012 Jets Coaching Staff

[URL="http://www.nyjetsoverthepond.com/home/2012/6/22/the-2012-jets-coaching-staff-new-faces-in-the-fight-for-the.html"]http://www.nyjetsoverthepond.com/home/2012/6/22/the-2012-jets-coaching-staff-new-faces-in-the-fight-for-the.html[/URL]

Friday, June 22, 2012 At 1:43PM Rich Wilhelm
    The New York Jets are a team that drastically needs quality coaches to stay afloat in the Super Bowl chase. These coaches need to be able to adapt to the team’s needs and the players need to adjust to the way the coaches need them to play. Although many of the Jets coaches are the same from last year there is a sense that it is a brand new staff. Based on fan reaction thus far the staff in place seems to be holding up their side of the bargain and are eager to take the team to the next level. A team can have great players or great coaches, but it takes a combination of both to truly be elite in the NFL.

It is exciting to see a new coach have such an impact on returning coaches. In the Jets case it is new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano who is impacting Rex Ryan. It has been reported by numerous beat writers and websites that Rex Ryan is more involved this year with the offense than ever before. This is a factor that will affect the team positively. If your head coach is predominately coaching one side of the ball obviously one side will be greater than the other. If your head coach is spending equal time will players on both sides of the ball the team will be much more balanced. Tony Sparano as mentioned in my previous article is a breath of fresh air for the organization. He has the ability to be the authority figure and knock some sense into players that do not give 100% at all times. The best way to describe him is to say [B]he is the Mike Westhoff of the offense.[/B] Any Jets fan who knows Mike knows exactly what that statement means. Bottom line is there will be no nonsense allowed, shape up or get cut.

The next new coach who many Jets fans are excited to have is defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. It is easy to coach a line that has Jared Allen, Pat Williams, and Kevin Williams but there is no denying that coaching had something to do with the success of those players. There is no way to tell if Coples or any other player currently on the Jets roster can be anywhere near the caliber of the players mentioned, but there is nothing but upside with this hiring. Under Dunbar the Vikings allowed the least amount of rushing yards (8,141) in six seasons. Having the ability to stop a team from rushing is a great thing especially when you have arguably the best cornerback tandem in the league. On top of allowing the least amount of rushing yards his defense also ranked sixth in the NFL in sacks with 242. If the Jets have the ability to stop a play before it starts the sky is the limit. Dunbar has a personal connection with Rex Ryan who was his position coach in 1994 when he was an Arizona Cardinal.

The Jets have a great group of wide receivers this year and also a new coach in Sanjay Lal. Lal was the wide receiver coach for the Oakland Raiders the past three seasons. Unlike Karl Dunbar, Lal did not have many toys to have fun with. The Raiders receiving core are fast and young, but none are at the Pro Bowl level that Dunbar’s players were. Along with Lal comes Chaz Schilens who has been impressive thus far for the Jets. Lal has openly come out and said he is impressed with Santonio Holmes and looks forward to improving the entire core. The Jets are dying for a vertical game and a receiver over 1,000 yards needs to happen this upcoming season. Doesn’t matter if it is Santonio Holmes or Stephen Hill, this feat needs to be accomplished. Hopefully with the addition of Sanjay Lal the Jets can make it a reality.

The last coach on the list is unlike the others. He was with the team last year but this year he has a more increased role. When a Jet fan thinks of who the most surprising player was last year their mind automatically goes to Aaron Maybin. His career was very much in question when he came to the Jets and many were unsure if he would even make the team. Who would have thought he would lead the team in sacks and forced fumbles? Also who would have thought he would have done this in only 13 games? A man by the name of Mike Smith did and is a coach that is on his way to great things. The past two years Smith has part of the team as a coaching intern and due to his impressive turnaround of Aaron Maybin he was promoted to outside linebackers coach. All coaches earn their jobs, but Smith has a very motivational story that fits perfectly with Maybin. They are a match made in heaven, helping each other on their road to success. Smith along with Dunbar need to teach their players how to get to the quarterback. His teachings went the extra mile for Maybin, now it time for the rest of the linebacker core to learn it.

The coaches listed above all bring something that the Jets desperately need. With Sparano you get the no nonsense attitude that Schottenheimer seemed to lack. If Santonio Holmes benches himself while under Sparano, expect him to stay on that bench for as long as Sparano wants him there. The team will also get back to the running game they seemed to abandon last year. This will keep Sanchez more fresh and hopefully improve his game. With Karl Dunbar you have a coach who knows how to get to the quarterback. Any Jets fans who watched a game last year or years prior can see that just did not happen. Add a weapon like Coples and a year of experience under Muhammad Wilkerson’s belt you instantly have something special. If one of these two men get double digit sacks it should solidify the hiring. Sanjay Lal is unproven based on the talent he had in Oakland. The Raiders receivers will be very good as time passes but in New York no one has time. If he does not improve the receivers this year the media and fans will have a field day with him. The core is improved all around so there is no reason why this would not happen. Lastly Mike Smith brings dedication, commitment, and a will to succeed. Anyone who can turn a professional athlete’s career completely around as an intern must be doing something special. Similar to Dunbar, if Smith has a player that has double digits sacks the hire was a good one. If Maybin is that player not only will the signing be justified it will also continue the Cinderella story between them. As the start of the regular season approaches there is nothing but positives in the new coaching staff. If the players can perform at the level they are expected to then the Jets will be a powerhouse in the NFL yet again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice write up!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing that terrific article TJ

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute, the Jets have a "great group of wide receivers"?

Really?

Ah, everything is glorious in June

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    GFY

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And nothing about DeGuglielmo or Cavanaugh, two places we desperately need improvement? Condemnation by omission?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question in regards to our coaching staff ala Rex Ryan. Why was Rex Ryan selected as Jets head coach? Due to his defensive play calling ability as well as the reputation/respect that he's earned over he years as a defensive guru/master mind. Why is it, that in 2009, Rex called (I believe) 90% of our defensive calls. We had by far the best defense in the league and the best overall Jets defense over his 3 year span. In 2010 Rex didn't call as many plays as the year before and last year, it was mostly Mike Pettine running the defensive playbook. I understand that Rex Ryan has other aspects of the game that he needs to focus on ala offense, time management etc, etc... But Rex became a head coach due to his defensive play calling ability, I hate the fact that he's no longer the main coach calling the plays. Sean Payton is not only a head coach, but continues to call offensive plays for Brees and the Saints. I feel Rex should do the same for the Jets defense, call our plays and put us in best position to dominate the opposing offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is no doubt that sparano is a serious upgrade from schitty. and imho there was a ued developing between schitty and callahan so in a sense it's good that both guys departed. their replacements are apparently more than up to the task.

these teams all start from the coaching staffs and work down towards the players. sure it's great to have self motivated highly skilled players but if you took the 50 or so best players in the nfl i'll bet they couldn't beat a doormat team even they didn't have enough coaching. coaching is supposed to make the players better and make sure they perform as a team. last season the offense was very individualistic with no rhythm or real sense to how the plays were called or even executed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4499530]there is no doubt that sparano is a serious upgrade from schitty. and imho there was a ued developing between schitty and callahan so in a sense it's good that both guys departed. their replacements are apparently more than up to the task.

these teams all start from the coaching staffs and work down towards the players. sure it's great to have self motivated highly skilled players but if you took the 50 or so best players in the nfl i'll bet they couldn't beat a doormat team even they didn't have enough coaching. coaching is supposed to make the players better and make sure they perform as a team. last season the offense was very individualistic with no rhythm or real sense to how the plays were called or even executed.[/QUOTE]

Great Post!!!

I especially like the Callahan and Schotty angle.

It may have been the very reason why Rex felt that he couldn't easily turn to Callahan as the Jets subseqent OC. Rex may have felt that a strong persoanlity from outside the organization in Sparano was the perfect way to go......

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4499485]I have a question in regards to our coaching staff ala Rex Ryan. Why was Rex Ryan selected as Jets head coach? Due to his defensive play calling ability as well as the reputation/respect that he's earned over he years as a defensive guru/master mind. Why is it, that in 2009, Rex called (I believe) 90% of our defensive calls. We had by far the best defense in the league and the best overall Jets defense over his 3 year span. In 2010 Rex didn't call as many plays as the year before and last year, it was mostly Mike Pettine running the defensive playbook. I understand that Rex Ryan has other aspects of the game that he needs to focus on ala offense, time management etc, etc... But Rex became a head coach due to his defensive play calling ability, I hate the fact that he's no longer the main coach calling the plays. Sean Payton is not only a head coach, but continues to call offensive plays for Brees and the Saints. I feel Rex should do the same for the Jets defense, call our plays and put us in best position to dominate the opposing offense.[/QUOTE]

I think Rex said he will be more involved in the defensive play calling this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why no mention of coach Googs? :confused:

The man has a ring.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TJ;4499568]I think Rex said he will be more involved in the defensive play calling this year.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully. Actually, it's a must. He better become more involved. The only reason why he became head coach was due to his defensive minded abilities. He really is one of the most knowledgeable defensive coaches in the game today, and as a front office, coaching staff and team; we need to use coach Ryan to our advantage. Yes, I understand that a head coach must also focus on time management, when to use timeouts, when to challenge, or not to challenge a play etc, etc but in Ryan's situation? He needs to be dialed in when we're on defense, and focused on leading this Jets defense as a play-caller ala Baltimore Raven years/2009 Jets season.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;4499459]Wait a minute, the Jets have a "great group of wide receivers"?

Really?

Ah, everything is glorious in June[/QUOTE]

right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4499671]Hopefully. Actually, it's a must. He better become more involved. The only reason why he became head coach was due to his defensive minded abilities. He really is one of the most knowledgeable defensive coaches in the game today, and as a front office, coaching staff and team; we need to use coach Ryan to our advantage. Yes, I understand that a head coach must also focus on time management, when to use timeouts, when to challenge, or not to challenge a play etc, etc but in Ryan's situation? He needs to be dialed in when we're on defense, and focused on leading this Jets defense as a play-caller ala Baltimore Raven years/2009 Jets season.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think a head coach is overrated. Like a baseball manager. I want Ryan to run our defense, and then worry about making sure he has coaches that buy into his philosophy. I really like the choice of Sporano, who seems to be self motivated, and transparent(Is it just me or does he seem a lot less dorky on the Jets, Maybe because he shaved his head. Idk he grew a goatee also. That's probably it.). I don't think Rex has to keep on his back, or worry about what he's up to. In fact I think he's helping Ryan out with his attitude. Seems like a much better fit, and I don't think Tony will hold any punches if he see's something he feels Rex ought to be aware of. They seem like they could help each other with their insights in combating each others system over the years. What they need to do is worry more about actually coaching, and less worrying about politics, contrary to popular opinion.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 06-24-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4499730]I agree. I think a head coach is overrated. Like a baseball manager. I want Ryan to run our defense, and then worry about making sure he has coaches that buy into his philosophy. I really like the choice of Sporano, who seems to be self motivated, and transparent(Is it just me or does he seem a lot less dorky on the Jets, Maybe because he shaved his head. Idk he grew a goatee also. That's probably it.). I don't think Rex has to keep on his back, or worry about what he's up to. In fact I think he's helping Ryan out with his attitude. Seems like a much better fit, and I don't think Tony will hold any punches if he see's something he feels Rex ought to be aware of. They seem like they could help each other with their insights in combating each others system over the years. What they need to do is worry more about actually coaching, and less worrying about politics, contrary to popular opinion.[/QUOTE]

The head coach is definitely NOT overrated, it's a very big deal.

The issues the Jets had on offense last year had every bit to do with the coaches as it did with the players.

I tend to agree about the lack of synergy that seemed to exist between Schotty and Callahan, it will be a huge difference this year, first with Sparano and then, DeGuglielmo replacing them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4499733]The head coach is definitely NOT overrated, it's a very big deal.

The issues the Jets had on offense last year had every bit to do with the coaches as it did with the players.

I tend to agree about the lack of synergy that seemed to exist between Schotty and Callahan, it will be a huge difference this year, first with Sparano and then, DeGuglielmo replacing them.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but Herm was a perfect example of a head coach that didn't coach the offense or the defense. I'd much rather have a head coach that coaches one side, and a strong self starter on the other side that doesn't need his hand held. Of course you need one guy to be accountable, and make the final decision, He also needs to choos the right OC for his philosophy, but if it's his full time job to be a figurehead then he'll only be as good as his coordinators are. Rex needs to run this defense, and spend less time having meetings, and press conferences.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... :clapper: ... good read, thx! ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4499751]Sorry but Herm was a perfect example of a head coach that didn't coach the offense or the defense. I'd much rather have a head coach that coaches one side, and a strong self starter on the other side that doesn't need his hand held. Of course you need one guy to be accountable, and make the final decision, He also needs to choos the right OC for his philosophy, but if it's his full time job to be a figurehead then he'll only be as good as his coordinators are. Rex needs to run this defense, and spend less time having meetings, and press conferences.[/QUOTE]

But you said the head coach is overrated, not whether or not he coaches offense/defense. There is no way the head coach is overrated. I agree with you that a head coach can be stronger as a former coordinator.

Herm is a perfect example of why the head coach is not overrated. Eventually, the "stuff" Herm was selling, the team was no longer buying, and he became transparent and predictable, and needed to go in a big way.

Also, I don't get your comment about Rex needing less time for meetings and PC's? You DO realize PC's are an NFL policy, he is mandated to have those press conferences. If anything, we've seen that Rex has shifted his schedule to have those mandated PC's around the additional time he wants to be in the classroom and in front of his team away from the media.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4499751]Sorry but Herm was a perfect example of a head coach that didn't coach the offense or the defense. I'd much rather have a head coach that coaches one side, and a strong self starter on the other side that doesn't need his hand held. Of course you need one guy to be accountable, and make the final decision, He also needs to choos the right OC for his philosophy, but if it's his full time job to be a figurehead then he'll only be as good as his coordinators are. Rex needs to run this defense, and spend less time having meetings, and press conferences.[/QUOTE]

you actually proved the point

Good head coaches (Parcells, Ryan) are critically important

Crappy head coaches (Edwards, Mangini) are also critically important

Jets Insider VIP
    JI Staff Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work, thanks for the insight into the new coaches. I remember reading about Smith & his work with Maybin last season. Let's hope this improbable story continues.