Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Even Rotoworld Knows....

[QUOTE=sg3;4499809][url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a18698/article/darrelle-revis-savior-of-the-term-shutdown-corner?module=HP11_content_stream?campaign=Ext_Email_1st10_Daily_Ctl[/url]

BEST CB IN THE NFL

BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL

pay the man what he is worth[/QUOTE]

You don't think they already are?

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4499694]Just a quick question. Do you all think that we'll lose Revis to another team as a future free agent, due to Revis himself being greedy in regards to his overall contract, or do you all feel he'll retire a Jet or at least play as a Jet into his mid 30's.

I ask this because he's only 26 years of age, the greatest Jet that I've ever witnessed play the game of football, has been known as the best CB in today's NFL for 2-3 years now, and may go down as the greatest CB of all-time. I wouldn't be able to deal with seeing Revis with another team before he really starts to decline. Hopefully he retires a Jet.[/QUOTE]

(He will be 27 at the start of camp) Hopefully he will retire a jet, but the ball is going to be in his court. One thing you can be sure of is that he wants to be the highest paid Def player in the nfl, not the highest paid corner but on the entire def. Do the jets Want to commit 15mill a year (Peppers/Williams) for a 5 year extension to him, and he will want 1/2 of that up front.

He will be 29 at the start of the 2014 season. Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson are the best examples of how a CB can still play at a high level at
    33-34YO. IMO it is riskier to give a skill player that kind of money. Peppers and Williams and the QBs can play their positions at a high level when they are dinged up, corners and WRs can't. I don't think of players being greedy. In 90% of the cases players are not loyal to teams, only the fans are. It is their job.

I think at the end of this year the jets will try to work out a deal. If they are unsuccessful, I think the jets will trade him. They will ask for a young starting player and the equivlent value of the #10 pick in the draft. .

Jets Insider VIP
    OH NO!!! Ive apparently stirred up the JI cockroach nest....

This message is hidden because GuidoYaztremski is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because patman is on your ignore list.

don't blame me, chowd troll roaches... I didn't report the story on Revis being the BEST, nfl.com did

[QUOTE=sg3;4499818]OH NO!!! Ive apparently stirred up the JI cockroach nest....

This message is hidden because GuidoYaztremski is on your ignore list.

This message is hidden because patman is on your ignore list.

don't blame me, chowd troll roaches... I didn't report the story on Revis being the BEST, nfl.com did[/QUOTE]

If you weren't still pretending we were on your exclusive ignore list, you might acknowledge that neither one of takes issue with admitting that Revis is the best CB in football today.

I'm still waiting for you to complete and post the "Shortbus Gus awesome JI Ignore List Google spreadsheet", which must be up to 800 members by now.

[QUOTE=patman;4499811](He will be 27 at the start of camp) Hopefully he will retire a jet, but the ball is going to be in his court. One thing you can be sure of is that he wants to be the highest paid Def player in the nfl, not the highest paid corner but on the entire def. Do the jets Want to commit 15mill a year (Peppers/Williams) for a 5 year extension to him, and he will want 1/2 of that up front.

He will be 29 at the start of the 2014 season. Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson are the best examples of how a CB can still play at a high level at
    33-34YO. IMO it is riskier to give a skill player that kind of money. Peppers and Williams and the QBs can play their positions at a high level when they are dinged up, corners and WRs can't. I don't think of players being greedy. In 90% of the cases players are not loyal to teams, only the fans are. It is their job.

I think at the end of this year the jets will try to work out a deal. If they are unsuccessful, I think the jets will trade him. They will ask for a young starting player and the equivlent value of the #10 pick in the draft. .[/QUOTE]

Or two #1s ...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4499731]HE didn't F** anything up. Tannenbaum gave him great contracts each time.

Revis F** it up by whining like a school girl about it not being enough.[/QUOTE]

The first one was all Tannenbaum's fault for trying to get contract terms with the #14 pick in the draft as if he was the 3rd pick in the draft (i.e. a 6th year). It backfired. Revis held out (and rightly so in that case), the GM ended up caving completely and rather than giving him the slot #14 money which Revis' camp had declared all along they would accept. The Jets ended up paying fifteen million dollars over the going rate to get a 6th year.

We never ended up getting the 6th year anyway. Or the 5th, 4th or 3rd for that matter.

We ended up getting two years out of that deal. Revis kept the $15 million extra dollars though. You know, for his "sixth year" and all.

As far as the rest is concerned we renegitiated when we did not need to do so. (a) creating a precedent for others to follow in the future and (b) paying him before he was due to make the giant money. Ask around the league. This is a horrible way to run a franchise. The Jets front office was schooled both times.

Oh, and if Mike Tannenbuam was going to be a a little b!tch and cave in BOTH TIMES then the least he could have done was to do so earlier in the game so that the first thing that happens was not an injuury to your "best player" immediately after he comes into camp late.

Every player in the history of the game becomes too expensive at some price. I personally think Darrelle Revis has already crossed that threshold some time ago. Great player but not worth anytwhere near the amount of money we have already paid to him.

Not a penny more. He is not worth it. No CB is worth that. Now that Al Davis is dead the rest of the league agrees with me.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4499822]Or two #1s ...[/QUOTE]
    What team in their right mind is going to give up that when they are already looking at paying out the highest contract in the NFL.

The Jets should be open to offers and put them in the newspaper. People here would be shocked I think.

[QUOTE=EM31;4499824]The first one was all Tannenbaum's fault for trying to get contract terms with the #14 pick in the draft as if he was the 3rd pick in the draft (i.e. a 6th year). It backfired. Revis held out (and rightly so in that case), the GM ended up caving completely and rather than giving him the slot #14 money which Revis' camp had declared all along they would accept. The Jets ended up paying fifteen million dollars over the going rate to get a 6th year.

We never ended up getting the 6th year anyway. Or the 5th, 4th or 3rd for that matter.

We ended up getting two years out of that deal. Revis kept the $15 million extra dollars though. You know, for his "sixth year" and all.

As far as the rest is concerned we renegitiated when we did not need to do so. (a) creating a precedent for others to follow in the future and (b) paying him before he was due to make the giant money. Ask around the league. This is a horrible way to run a franchise. The Jets front office was schooled both times.

Oh, and if Mike Tannenbuam was going to be a a little b!tch and cave in BOTH TIMES then the least he could have done was to do so earlier in the game so that the first thing that happens was not an injuury to your "best player" immediately after he comes into camp late.

Every player in the history of the game becomes too expensive at some price. I personally think Darrelle Revis has already crossed that threshold some time ago. Great player but not worth anytwhere near the amount of money we have already paid to him.

Not a penny more. He is not worth it. No CB is worth that. Now that Al Davis is dead the rest of the league agrees with me.[/QUOTE]

Fair points that fly in the face of the "Pay the Best CB in football whatever he wants" crowd. The point is he's still just a CB, yet seems to want QB money.

Good post.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=auctionking;4499736]I can not believe people believe Revis is scared of his contract, revis can hold out knowing the Jets will cave and be forced to pay him or trade him to a team that will pay him and at the end of the day all the second contract is a footnote in history. Mr Gilbert has schooled this man well[/QUOTE]
    Revis is not scared of his contract he simply making the only moves available to him under the deal he signed. I.e. Some vague grumbling brought up every other day.

Anything he tries to do to shoot his way out of town this year will (a) have exactly the opposite effect in terms of lengthening the Jets hold on him, and (b) will damage is value in the market place. If you begin with a value placed at the very top of the entire NFL then damaging your own stock will only achieve one result. Less money and fewer potential suitors.

For those reasons I do not see Revis holding out or dogging it in practice or faking injury. I expect the player to play like the best CB in the league and a man who is auditioning for his next contract and/or franchise. If he wants the mega dollars he needs to put in a good audition.

Hall Of Fame
    If only Revis played QB . . .

if only.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=EM31;4499627]Yeah he was brilliant after f***ing it up the first two times with Revis.[/QUOTE]

How did this happen, in your mind or in real life?

There is more to this game than just thinking your team makes mistakes at every turn or that your teams stars aren't as good as the whole world thinks.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4499866]If only Revis played QB . . .

if only.[/QUOTE]
    I am curious DDNYJ... At what price in your opinion does Revis become more expensive than his value to the team?

At league minumim he would be an incredible bargain.

At the Salary Cap (minus 52 times league minumum), let's say just for sh1ts and giggles $100 million per year he would be paid the maximum theoretical amount for any one player. Always assuming of course that as a GM you would be willing to have 52 other league minimum players on the roster. A stupid assumption but it does give us the upper bound.

At some position in between those two numbers comes the point where every one of us has to wince and say no, that amount is too much. So where is the number for you?

Every single dollar paid out to any player is a dollar that cannot be used elsewhere to help the franchise. Ac quality OL backup player or two for example or a big name tight end free agent, or possibly a pass rusher. So how big a concentration of dollars makes sense to invest in any one player/position on the team. Remember also that he missed four games right after his last holdout so even Superman gets injured and cannot play. How much risk is too big of a risk?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4499780]Hmmm, production over the years, huh ?? You mean like averaging 56 catches a year and 872.5 yards per year?

Yeah, certainly top 10 material there.[/QUOTE]

Here yes. Those who whine like idiots over the number of catches he has by comparing him to WR's playing on other teams are too stupid to watch the game and spend too much time playing fantasy football.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4499880]How did this happen, in your mind or in real life?

There is more to this game than just thinking your team makes mistakes at every turn or that your teams stars aren't as good as the whole world thinks.[/QUOTE]
    I explained that quite clearly. Would it help I go back and use smaller words? Did you even follow EITHER of the Revis contract disputes? Even a little bit?

Please point out where anyone on the other side of this question has even hinted that we think Darrelle Revis is not the best CB in football? I will give to a clue. Nobody has done so.

I do know it is useful (when you have no case) to invent something that the other person did not say in order to be able to make a snappy comeback in response to the remark that was never made. But at the end of the day Jet Nut, nobody has questioned his ability. I know that I have not and I have not seen anyone else do it either so please take that weak BS elsewhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=EM31;4499892]I explained that quite clearly. Would it help I go back and use smaller words? Did you even follow EITHER of the Revis contract disputes? Even a little bit?

Please point out where anyone on the other side of this question has even hinted that we think Darrelle Revis is not the best CB in football? I will give to a clue. Nobody has done so.

I do know it is useful (when you have no case) to invent something that the other person did not say in order to be able to make a snappy comeback in response to the remark that was never made. But at the end of the day Jet Nut, nobody has questioned his ability. I know that I have not and I have not seen anyone else do it either so please take that weak BS elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say a word about Revis' ability.

Just the foolish remark that Tanny has fu(ked up.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4499897]I didn't say a word about Revis' ability.

Just the foolish remark that Tanny has fu(ked up.[/QUOTE]
    Not so... You said this...

"...There is more to this game than just thinking your team makes mistakes at every turn [B]or that your teams stars aren't as good as the whole world thinks....[/B]"

How is that not accusing others of underrating Revis? I will give you a clue. It is saying precisely that and nothing else. And you said it. Everyone on this side of the debate is prepared to stipulate and has done so multiple times that Darrelle Revis is the best CB in football. The best CB on the planet. Bar none. How is that then rating him as less than "the rest of the world".

I explained in another post precisely where Mike Tannenbaum screwed up. Twice. If you disagree with the any of the specifics of that post then we can certainly chat about it but if you have not read it or if you did not comprehend the points that I was making then there is not really a lot I can do. As some wag or other once quipped, I can read it for you but I cannot understand it for you.

[QUOTE=sg3;4499799]how the F would you know since you were a longtime diehard Bronco fan at that time and didn't become a longtime diehard Jet "fan" until your adored Pastor Timblow showed up on March 21[/QUOTE]

Because I watched it ? I read the articles about it ? I listened to LT and others ? I read about it here in various discussion and people have made compelling arguments ?

[QUOTE=sg3;4499809][url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a18698/article/darrelle-revis-savior-of-the-term-shutdown-corner?module=HP11_content_stream?campaign=Ext_Email_1st10_Daily_Ctl[/url]

BEST CB IN THE NFL

BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL

pay the man what he is worth[/QUOTE]

They already have.

[QUOTE=Dunnie;4499822]Or two #1s ...[/QUOTE]

What 2 #1 picks? #32 this year and next? The amount of picks mean a lot less than where they are situated. I don't think any team will give up 15 mill in cap space and 2 top 15 #1s.

If there were teams willing to do so, The pats would have gotten more than a #1 two years down the road for Seymour. (which values as a bottom 1st rd pick top 2nd )