Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis: Savior of the term 'shutdown corner'; #8 Top 100 NFL Players of 2011

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500384]I'm sure your 49,487 post's have all been full of nothing but "beautiful football insight". :rolleyes:

[/QUOTE]

See, that's another stat.

You can't do it, can you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4500489]Here's how paranoid I am. There is a second phase to that "superstars get the benefit of the doubt" treatment that folks aren't mentioning. It happens when the reputation these players have for getting calls starts to become the narrative about them, and referees start to respond by going out of their way not to give them calls anymore.

Exhibit A: Mariano Rivera. Anyone who's been watching him for his entire career knows that by the late 90s, he had established such pinpoint command and control that umps started giving him a couple inches off the corner. But by the mid-2000s, umps were self-conscious of the fact that people thought Rivera was getting an inch that they started skewing the opposite way, calling borderline pitches balls. (Probably happened with Maddux, too, though I didn't see him every day). The fact that Mo was still Mo after this shift is a testament to his all-galactic status.

I'm worried we could see this happen with Revis, especially as football becomes less and less physical in the passing game with each year.

Kinda scary, too, that a guy widely acknowledged to be the best in the world at what he does could see himself transformed from all-time to merely above average by refs calling interference just like, 15 percent more aggressively.[/QUOTE]

LeBron James commits 1.5 fouls per game. That's virtually impossible as the best defender in the league. Revis will be just fine. He's a superstar and will be allowed to use physicality for leverage without being called for it plenty.

But I'm also of the opinion that either a receiver or a DB commits a penalty on the other like 95% of the time when they are close to each other.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-25-2012 at 06:07 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500314]That arguement is utterly stupid.

Andre Johnson as a WR is right up there with Calvin Johnson.

He performs at an extremely high level for 16 games a year.

To cherry-pick 2 games out of 4 years and make a statement like that is ridiculous.

If you want to use that flawed arguement, Stevie Johnson should be ranked higher than Revis because he owns him.[/QUOTE]

That argument is utterly stupid? Andre Johnson finally got to play in a playoff game for the first time in his career with all that "impact" that he has. Last time I checked football is a team sport and there isn't a single player that dominates his position the way Revis does his...and in a pass happy league.

Go back to sniffing glue.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chops44;4500070]Dude, you're spoiled if you're complaining about Revis not matching up well with one guy.[/QUOTE]
    GOAT That is all

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4500004]This sounds like a bit of a dig. "That would have been a DPI if your name isn't Revis."[/QUOTE]

Yea. I cant understand how other team's fans actually thought that play was PI on revis. Run that play 100 more times and the only way they call Revis for PI any one of those times is if they called it on Marshal too, double PI's and a do over down. Marshall tripped into Revis and initiated all the contact. He was fair game after that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetglass;4501487]Yea. I cant understand how other team's fans actually thought that play was PI on revis. Run that play 100 more times and the only way they call Revis for PI any one of those times is if they called it on Marshal too, double PI's and a do over down. Marshall tripped into Revis and initiated all the contact. He was fair game after that.[/QUOTE]

Yea, and it wasn't a fumble either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4501531]Yea, and it wasn't a fumble either.[/QUOTE]

No ****... It never hit the ground :i_dont_kn

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4501532]No ****... It never hit the ground :i_dont_kn[/QUOTE]

Quick look up AGAW, something is flying over your head. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4501535]Quick look up AGAW, something is flying over your head. ;)[/QUOTE]

I thought it may have been the case but I couldn't for the life of me figure it out...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This just in.

#1. Aaron Rodgers.
    #2. Drew Brees.
    #3. Calvin Johnson.
    #4. Tom Brady.

Are the top 4 players heading into 2012.

You know who's rated 5th ala the greatest overall defensive player in the game today?

[B][I][I][CENTER][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="7"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]#24; Darrelle Revis[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/I][/I][/B]

As you can see, voters put a lot of stock in regards to the quarterback position, which makes perfect sense due to the overall impact of the quarterback position, but it's nice to know that the football world considers both Megatron and Revis Island as two of the games greatest skilled position players.

I'd actually have Darrelle Revis ranked ahead of Calvin Johnson for the simple fact that Revis completely eliminates opposing quarterbacks #1 option, shuts down each and every elite WR out there, cuts the field in half etc, etc. But regardless, it's been great watching Revis develop over the years, we've watched him develop into the NFL's greatest overall defender. And he's only 26 years of age :eek:
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-27-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had him at 5, now if we can only start scoring.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to argue that top 5 and that order. Would love to see Megatron and Revis match up again.

It really is insane to think of putting ONE guy on Megatron and actually be comfortable with doing so. We're really lucky to have Revis and get to watch him play every game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d82a2aa11/The-Top-100-Players-of-2012-Darrelle-Revis[/url]

youre welcome

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4500058]And last season playing the Bills Revis held Steve Johnson to 11 catches for 159 yds...:eek:[/QUOTE]

Ugh, and?

Is there a point, does it change who he is? :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4500164]Yay!!!! We have a potential HoF CB!!!!!!

Im so proud to be a Jets fan.[/QUOTE]

I wish I was as smart as you are, I could just bash a star player, a future HOF player as a way of proving, somehow, that I'm smart.

Is there anyone on this team that you don't hate/criticize?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4502465]I wish I was as smart as you are, I could just bash a star player, a future HOF player as a way of proving, somehow, that I'm smart.

Is there anyone on this team that you don't hate/criticize?[/QUOTE]

Forget arguing with negative critics when in regards to the greatest Jet of all-time. (Sorry Broadway Joe).

Enjoy the ride Jet Nut. Enjoy this video of the NFL's greatest defensive player around. And once again, he's only 26; which is scary.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d82a2aa11/The-Top-100-Players-of-2012-Darrelle-Revis[/url]

Wes Welker says it best: "I don't think people understand how strong he is, he's a lot stronger than what people think, and uhh, he'll put you on the ground pretty quick, he's kind of like the school-yard-bully at times, he does a pretty good job of being able to be physical and stay right on that receivers hip".
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-28-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Minkaveli;4502438][url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/09000d5d82a2aa11/The-Top-100-Players-of-2012-Darrelle-Revis[/url]

youre welcome[/QUOTE]

Sick. What a player he is, the Joe Montana/Lawrence Taylor/Jim Brown/Jerry Rice of cornerbacks. Best corner ever.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4502473]Sick. What a player he is, the Joe Montana/Lawrence Taylor/Jim Brown/Jerry Rice of cornerbacks. Best corner ever.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir. Not even the great Deion Sanders was on Darrelle's level.

As a kick returner/punt returner, yes; but as a pure coverage corner? Not a chance.

If anyone remembers how Sanders was used, yes, he'd man up with the best of the 90's but for the most part, at least 70% of the time... Sanders was lined up on the opposite side of the opposing team's number one wide receiver. Why? So he could completely eliminate one side of the football field while their #2 CB's and safety's shifted the coverage opposite of Deion in order to take out #1 WR's as well. That strategy worked wonders for the Falcons and Cowboys defenses, but Sanders on a play by play, game by game, year by year and overall consistent basis never went up against/seen the type of competition that Revis has seen/went up against since entering/taking this league by storm.

What Darrelle Revis is doing, is ground breaking/game changing in regards to the CB position. The CB position will never be judged the same. Not after Revis is done with it. If you're not completely eliminating opposing quarterbacks #1 option, completely shutting down the greatest #1 WR's around and last but not least, doing it without the protection/help of a safety 80-90% of the time? You'll never be considered the greatest coverage corner of all-time. That label/title now belongs to Revis, and at the age of only 26? He's changed the culture of the position, and as Buzzsaw's stated; has developed/became the greatest coverage corner of all-time.

The glaring difference is with tackling ability. The unwillingness that Sanders always shown in regards to putting his head down and making a tough hit is something that hurts him in regards to his overall CB career (rating wise). Revis is an IMLB inside of a CB's body. A pure bull against the run. A great run defender which is something very rare to see out of a coverage corner. He steps up in run support, which is something that could never be said for #21. #24 is just an animal out there.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-28-2012 at 02:10 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4502465]I wish I was as smart as you are, I could just bash a star player, a future HOF player as a way of proving, somehow, that I'm smart.

Is there anyone on this team that you don't hate/criticize?[/QUOTE]

Apparently you aren't very smart. I'm not bashing the player. I am bashing the fans who idolize the player.

I root for the laundry, not the players. I don't care about having HoFers on the Jets. All I want is a SB.

For the record, the only thing I have "bashed" about Revis is the way he handles himself with regards to his contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis in top 5 is legitimate. They have 3 QB's there you could shuffle all you want and all deserving and the best WR and DB in the NFL.