Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis: Savior of the term 'shutdown corner'; #8 Top 100 NFL Players of 2011

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4500149]DWC loves to play the "if WR A had this QB to throw to he'd put up crazy stats," so maybe I'll just say that if Megatron had Rodgers, Brees, or Brady to throw to him he would destroy Revis.[/QUOTE]

+1 ;)

This is why it would be such craziness to even suggest trading the guy. So what he holds out from time to time? He knows he's the best in football and so does eveyone else. If the Jets just get him paid, over and done with, he'll be a fixture on this team for the long term.

He's truly a difference maker. That is something you cannot say very often. He's a generational player. To even suggest he should be traded is stupidity IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Yay!!!! We have a potential HoF CB!!!!!!

Im so proud to be a Jets fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    so very glad that ASS0531 remains on my ignore list with the rest of his chowd troll cockroach pals

Veteran
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4500164]Yay!!!! We have a potential HoF CB!!!!!!

Im so proud to be a Jets fan.[/QUOTE]

No you're not. You're a troll. And not even remotely funny like some other trolls, so really, what's the point?

How does a guy like Andre Johnson get #7 on that list when the guy he's right in front of owns him every matchup? I know it's a players vote but still... that's a tad bit disrespectful.

[QUOTE=southside;4500240]How does a guy like Andre Johnson get #7 on that list when the guy he's right in front of owns him every matchup? I know it's a players vote but still... that's a tad bit disrespectful.[/QUOTE]

Good question, and I'd have Revis higher, but I think it goes to overall game impact. Revis might completely take his man out of a game, but he can't win a game (although he was close last year against the Fins at home).

A guy like AJ can go off for 10 and 200 with 3 TDs and be enough offense by himself to get a W. Meanwhile, Revis can hold Reggie Wayne to 1 catch and the Jets can still give up 37 points.

Banned
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4500015]I'm not commenting on the play itself, just the article. The implication is clearly that Revis benefits from a bit of superstar treatment.[/QUOTE]

They all do. Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Manning are no different in the treatment they get from Revis.

All superstars get the benefit of doubt, it's just the way it is.

Banned
    [QUOTE=southside;4500240]How does a guy like Andre Johnson get #7 on that list when the guy he's right in front of owns him every matchup? I know it's a players vote but still... that's a tad bit disrespectful.[/QUOTE]

That arguement is utterly stupid.

Andre Johnson as a WR is right up there with Calvin Johnson.

He performs at an extremely high level for 16 games a year.

To cherry-pick 2 games out of 4 years and make a statement like that is ridiculous.

If you want to use that flawed arguement, Stevie Johnson should be ranked higher than Revis because he owns him.

Banned

No worries. That list was from last year, heading into the 2011 season. Heading into the 2012 season, the list of the top 100 players have Andre Johnson ranked 15th overall. Revis has made the top 10, we'll soon find out exactly where he ranks.

I personally have him ranked at #2 behind only Aaron Rodgers. The greatest (not CB) but secondary player in the game today, arguably the greatest coverage/shutdown corner since Sanders of his prime years and last but not least... Completely shuts down #1 WR's while eliminating opposing QB's #1 option both at the same time.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500314]That arguement is utterly stupid.

Andre Johnson as a WR is right up there with Calvin Johnson.

He performs at an extremely high level for 16 games a year.

To cherry-pick 2 games out of 4 years and make a statement like that is ridiculous.

If you want to use that flawed arguement, Stevie Johnson should be ranked higher than Revis because he owns him.[/QUOTE]

Well, heading into 2012 Revis is ranked much higher than Andre Johnson, now isn't he? Also, Andre Johnson (was) rated as the #2 WR behind only Calvin Johnson but saying that Andre Johnson is "right up there" with Calvin Johnson, would be like saying that Reggie Miller (the 2nd best 2G of the 90's) was right up there with Jordan. Which would be completely false.

Andre has averaged 78.4 receptions, 1,072 receiving yards, 51.3 first down receptions and 5.7 TD's per season.

Calvin has averaged 73.2 receptions, 1,174 receiving yards, 54.0 first down receptions and 9.8 TD's per season.

Calvin Johnson has 49 TD's after 5 years when compared to Andre Johnson's 52 TD's after 9 seasons of play. Lets not compare Andre to Calvin, especially considering the fact that Andre is coming off a serious season ending injury which I believe required surgery.

Banned
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500352]Well, heading into 2012 Revis is ranked much higher than Andre Johnson, now isn't he? Also, Andre Johnson (was) rated as the #2 WR behind only Calvin Johnson but saying that Andre Johnson is "right up there" with Calvin Johnson, would be like saying that Reggie Miller (the 2nd best 2G of the 90's) was right up there with Jordan. Which would be completely false.

Andre has averaged 78.4 receptions, 1,072 receiving yards, 51.3 first down receptions and 5.7 TD's per season.

Calvin has averaged 73.2 receptions, 1,174 receiving yards, 54.0 first down receptions and 9.8 TD's per season.

Calvin Johnson has 49 TD's after 5 years when compared to Andre Johnson's 52 TD's after 9 seasons of play. Lets not compare Andre to Calvin, especially considering the fact that Andre is coming off a serious season ending injury which I believe required surgery.[/QUOTE]

Do you have the mental intellect to make [B][U]ONE[/U][/B] post sharing your opinion and not using any stats?

I, for one, would love to hear what you see with your eyes rather than your typical regergitation of useless statistics.

[QUOTE=Savage69;4500143]You miss the point I was making DWC.. You put one game that Megatron had that was bad and I did the same for Revis.. That 2010 season Stafford managed to start 3 games and didn't finish the one in which Johnson had the bad game.. I think Revis is a HOF CB but why just say that instead of crapping on Johnson??:cool:

PS Plus I like tweeking the hero worshipers..[/QUOTE]

You didn't put 1 game though, you combined Stevie Johnson's stats from 2 games.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500366]Do you have the mental intellect to make [B][U]ONE[/U][/B] post sharing your opinion and not using any stats?

I, for one, would love to hear what you see with your eyes rather than your typical regergitation of useless statistics.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure your 49,487 post's have all been full of nothing but "beautiful football insight". :rolleyes:

Do you have the mental intellect to post, while sharing your own opinion about your own football team without having to use the Jets as a way to bash our team, roster, coaching staff and fan base? :rolleyes:

I, for one, would love to see some of your posts from a New England Patriots message boards, in regards to your own team, rather than having to read just about 50,000 posts of an old man who pisses on our team, on a Jets fan site, as often as possible. :zzz:

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4500015]I'm not commenting on the play itself, just the article. The implication is clearly that Revis benefits from a bit of superstar treatment.[/QUOTE]

As does every superstar, I was very surprised that the refs thru the intentional grounding flag on Brady during the SB. It happens much much less in Football than basketball, but it does happen.

The only thing about that one lay with Marshall is that they both were stars. Usually is star vs scrub when the benefit of the doubt is applied.

Revis led the jets to an 8 and 8 season last year.

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500384]I'm sure your 49,487 post's have all been full of nothing but "beautiful football insight". :rolleyes:

Do you have the mental intellect to post, while sharing your own opinion about your own football team without having to use the Jets as a way to bash our team, roster, coaching staff and fan base? :rolleyes:

I, for one, would love to see some of your posts from a New England Patriots message boards, in regards to your own team, rather than having to read just about 50,000 posts of an old man who pisses on our team, on a Jets fan site, as often as possible. :zzz:[/QUOTE]

Tex kind of has a point, it is almost like you think football can be quantified by stats like baseball.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4500378]You didn't put 1 game though, you combined Stevie Johnson's stats from 2 games.[/QUOTE]

I said against the Bills in 2011 I assume you knew we played them twice..:eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Andre Johnson is every bit as good as Calvin Johnson and has been doing it longer. He spent years as being the Texans only legitimate target and was treated as such by defenses which hurt his stats but he still managed to produce.

Has Megatron surpassed him? Yes But I would not be surprised to see Andre come out and have a huge year. He is nowhere near being finished.

Here's how paranoid I am. There is a second phase to that "superstars get the benefit of the doubt" treatment that folks aren't mentioning. It happens when the reputation these players have for getting calls starts to become the narrative about them, and referees start to respond by going out of their way not to give them calls anymore.

Exhibit A: Mariano Rivera. Anyone who's been watching him for his entire career knows that by the late 90s, he had established such pinpoint command and control that umps started giving him a couple inches off the corner. But by the mid-2000s, umps were self-conscious of the fact that people thought Rivera was getting an inch that they started skewing the opposite way, calling borderline pitches balls. (Probably happened with Maddux, too, though I didn't see him every day). The fact that Mo was still Mo after this shift is a testament to his all-galactic status.

I'm worried we could see this happen with Revis, especially as football becomes less and less physical in the passing game with each year.

Kinda scary, too, that a guy widely acknowledged to be the best in the world at what he does could see himself transformed from all-time to merely above average by refs calling interference just like, 15 percent more aggressively.