Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis: Savior of the term 'shutdown corner'; #8 Top 100 NFL Players of 2011

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Darrelle Revis: Savior of the term 'shutdown corner'; #8 Top 100 NFL Players of 2011

[URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a18698/article/darrelle-revis-savior-of-the-term-shutdown-corner?module=HP11_content_stream?campaign=Ext_Email_1st10_Daily_Ctl"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a18698/article/darrelle-revis-savior-of-the-term-shutdown-corner?module=HP11_content_stream?campaign=Ext_Email_1st10_Daily_Ctl[/URL]

In news worthy of a "Karate Kid"-style montage of his greatest moments, Darrelle Revis has been declared the best cornerback in the NFL today, according to the pigskin-covered minds at ProFootballFocus.com.

PFF's Sam Monson credits the New York Jets star with bringing the term "shutdown corner" "back from the brink of extinction." The site lists Johnathan Joseph (Houston Texans), Brent Grimes (Atlanta Falcons) and Nnamdi Asomugha (Philadelphia Eagles) as veterans that sit behind Revis in the pecking order.

Wrote Monson: "His ability to play all across the formation and take away an opponent's top receiver allows the Jets freedom to roll things to other receivers and gives them a luxury no other team really has.

"He has mastered the ability to be physical with receivers, keeping it just short of the point that he gets called for it, and that in and of itself is an art form."

Well said, and very true. Even in times of despair for the Jets last season, Revis remained the unimpeachable heart of the defense. With the exception of Stevie Johnson, Revis made No. 1 receivers disappear, a magic act he's been pulling off since 2007.

One game-changing play against the Miami Dolphins last October was the perfect example of what makes Revis so great. Covering all-world talent Brandon Marshall near the goal line, Revis got physical with the much-bigger receiver and knocked him off his route. With Marshall compromised, Revis stepped in front of Matt Moore's pass and galloped 100 yards the other way without being touched.

Would a less-respected corner get flagged for the physical nature of the coverage? Perhaps, but Revis earned that rope. Moore went to his best player in a big spot, but Revis won the toughest battle on the field.

He wins these battles week after week, year after year. And that's what makes him the best. Are you listening, Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum?

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbfeDRj3Kk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbfeDRj3Kk[/URL]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4499987][URL="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a18698/article/darrelle-revis-savior-of-the-term-shutdown-corner?module=HP11_content_stream?campaign=Ext_Email_1st10_Daily_Ctl"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a18698/article/darrelle-revis-savior-of-the-term-shutdown-corner?module=HP11_content_stream?campaign=Ext_Email_1st10_Daily_Ctl[/URL]

In news worthy of a "Karate Kid"-style montage of his greatest moments, Darrelle Revis has been declared the best cornerback in the NFL today, according to the pigskin-covered minds at ProFootballFocus.com.

PFF's Sam Monson credits the New York Jets star with bringing the term "shutdown corner" "back from the brink of extinction." The site lists Johnathan Joseph (Houston Texans), Brent Grimes (Atlanta Falcons) and Nnamdi Asomugha (Philadelphia Eagles) as veterans that sit behind Revis in the pecking order.

Wrote Monson: "His ability to play all across the formation and take away an opponent's top receiver allows the Jets freedom to roll things to other receivers and gives them a luxury no other team really has.

"He has mastered the ability to be physical with receivers, keeping it just short of the point that he gets called for it, and that in and of itself is an art form."

Well said, and very true. Even in times of despair for the Jets last season, Revis remained the unimpeachable heart of the defense. With the exception of Stevie Johnson, Revis made No. 1 receivers disappear, a magic act he's been pulling off since 2007.

One game-changing play against the Miami Dolphins last October was the perfect example of what makes Revis so great. Covering all-world talent Brandon Marshall near the goal line, Revis got physical with the much-bigger receiver and knocked him off his route. With Marshall compromised, Revis stepped in front of Matt Moore's pass and galloped 100 yards the other way without being touched.

[B]Would a less-respected corner get flagged for the physical nature of the coverage? Perhaps, but Revis earned that rope.[/B] Moore went to his best player in a big spot, but Revis won the toughest battle on the field.

He wins these battles week after week, year after year. And that's what makes him the best. Are you listening, Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum?

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbfeDRj3Kk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbfeDRj3Kk[/URL][/QUOTE]

This sounds like a bit of a dig. "That would have been a DPI if your name isn't Revis."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4500004]This sounds like a bit of a dig. "That would have been a DPI if your name isn't Revis."[/QUOTE]

Marshall tripped himself... Go check it out...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I don't know if either Woody Johnson or the GM are listening but I am....

Revis is simply amazing!!!:eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4500006]Marshall tripped himself... Go check it out...[/QUOTE]

I'm not commenting on the play itself, just the article. The implication is clearly that Revis benefits from a bit of superstar treatment.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-25-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4500006]Marshall tripped himself... Go check it out...[/QUOTE]:yes:

Revis gave him the soft-legs after a hard push; Marshall threw himself at Revis and #24 gave him that judo-esque move; Marshall down, ball intercepted.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4499987]"His ability to play all across the formation and take away an opponent's top receiver allows the Jets freedom to roll things to other receivers and gives them a luxury no other team really has.
    [/QUOTE]

... :yes: ... very true ... it is amazing to watch him game after game ...

l_j_r

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4500015]I'm not commenting on the play itself, just the article. The implication is clearly that Revis benefits from a bit of superstar treatment.[/QUOTE]

From Jordan to Tom Brady all the way back to Revis... All the great one's get the calls. It's the nature of the beast/respect the refs have for these all-time great talents.

Calvin Johnson has a career average of 73.2 receptions, 1,174.4 receiving yards, 54 first down receptions and 9.8 TD's per season. Calvin's played in 76 games. That's an average of 4.8 receptions, 77.2 receiving yards, 3.5 first down receptions and 0.64 TD's per game.

Calvin Johnson vs Revis? Only 1 reception for 13 yards to go along with 0 TD's.

As Jet fans, we're truly witnessing greatness. Don't allow a players contract status/situation get in the way of[B] enjoying[/B] A.) Potentially/possibly the greatest Jet of all-time. B.) The best coverage corner in today's NFL. C.) Arguably the greatest shutdown corner since Deion Sanders and D.) A future lock for Canton as one of the greatest Hall Of Fame players that's ever lived to play the game of football.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In before *****ing about this inflating his contract demands.

Revis owns.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500041]From Jordan to Tom Brady all the way back to Revis... All the great one's get the calls. It's the nature of the beast/respect the refs have for these all-time great talents.

Calvin Johnson has a career average of 73.2 receptions, 1,174.4 receiving yards, 54 first down receptions and 9.8 TD's per season. Calvin's played in 76 games. That's an average of 4.8 receptions, 77.2 receiving yards, 3.5 first down receptions and 0.64 TD's per game.

[B]Calvin Johnson vs Revis? Only 1 reception for 13 yards[/B] to go along with 0 TD's.

As Jet fans, we're truly witnessing greatness. Don't allow a players contract status/situation get in the way of[B] enjoying[/B] A.) Potentially/possibly the greatest Jet of all-time. B.) The best coverage corner in today's NFL. C.) Arguably the greatest shutdown corner since Deion Sanders and D.) A future lock for Canton as one of the greatest Hall Of Fame players that's ever lived to play the game of football.[/QUOTE]

And last season playing the Bills Revis held Steve Johnson to 11 catches for 159 yds...:eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500041]From Jordan to Tom Brady all the way back to Revis... All the great one's get the calls. It's the nature of the beast/respect the refs have for these all-time great talents.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh, I agree. But I think some people are so enamored of Revis and his talent that they think he executes perfect technique on every single play, and that's obviously not the case. Does he sometimes get away with physical contact? Of course. Is it often enough to discredit his performance? Absolutely not. It's like LeBron getting away with tons of travel and foul calls. It's part of the game (sadly).

P.S. You don't have to offer up a stat breakdown of Calvin Johnson for the purpose of your argument. We all know Megatron is awesome.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-25-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4500058]And last season playing the Bills Revis held Steve Johnson to 11 catches for 159 yds...:eek:[/QUOTE]

Dude, you're spoiled if you're complaining about Revis not matching up well with one guy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4500058]And last season playing the Bills Revis held Steve Johnson to 11 catches for 159 yds...:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, right, good job of nit-picking one bad performance from Revis when compared to 70+ great one's during his 5 year career (77 games played).

The first time Revis played Johnson last season, Johnson put up 3 receptions for 84 yards and 0 TD's. The 2nd game, Johnson put up 8 receptions for 75 yards and 1 TD.

You can continue mentioning the occasional 'off performances' from Revis, and I'll continue talking up why he's known as the greatest CB since Primetime (Sanders).

Ay Savage, maybe you forgot the performance that Revis put up against Reggie Wayne during our 2010 playoff run? Revis held Wayne to only 1 reception for 1 yard and 0 TD's during an away playoff game going up against Peyton Manning as an opposing quarterback.

Ay Savage, would you like to post another game where Revis struggled? Because if so, I have over 60-70 great performances of Revis to follow. Lets see who runs out of examples first. I'll bet my life it won't be me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chops44;4500070]Dude, you're spoiled if you're complaining about Revis not matching up well with one guy.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. He acts as if 11 catches for 159 yards were some type of great accomplishment for Johnson/disaster from Revis. That's only an average of 5.5 receptions/79.5 receiving yards per game. 52 of those yards also came on one play.

Johnson averaged 4.75 receptions for 62.75 receiving yards last season. Averaged 5.5 receptions for 79.5 receiving yards vs Revis.

Wow, what a "huge difference". :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

In November, Buffalo accounted for roughly 90 yards thrown Revis' way... With another 5 for a defensive holding call in the 1st meeting...

Now, the ball that he should have caught in the 2nd game... Well, that would have skewed the stats in favor of your argument...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500094]52 of those yards also came on one play.
    [/QUOTE]

Those yards get assigned to Pool...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should have been higher, honestly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4500128]In November, Buffalo accounted for roughly 90 yards thrown Revis' way... With another 5 for a defensive holding call in the 1st meeting...

Now, the ball that he should have caught in the 2nd game... Well, that would have skewed the stats in favor of your argument...[/QUOTE]

lol exactly.

Trying to use this guy, as a way of bashing Revis? :eek:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhK2pWZ2dM[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500076]Yeah, right, good job of nit-picking one bad performance from Revis when compared to 70+ great one's during his 5 year career (77 games played).

The first time Revis played Johnson last season, Johnson put up 3 receptions for 84 yards and 0 TD's. The 2nd game, Johnson put up 8 receptions for 75 yards and 1 TD.

You can continue mentioning the occasional 'off performances' from Revis, and I'll continue talking up why he's known as the greatest CB since Primetime (Sanders).

Ay Savage, maybe you forgot the performance that Revis put up against Reggie Wayne during our 2010 playoff run? Revis held Wayne to only 1 reception for 1 yard and 0 TD's during an away playoff game going up against Peyton Manning as an opposing quarterback.

Ay Savage, would you like to post another game where Revis struggled? Because if so, I have over 60-70 great performances of Revis to follow. Lets see who runs out of examples first. I'll bet my life it won't be me.[/QUOTE]

You miss the point I was making DWC.. You put one game that Megatron had that was bad and I did the same for Revis.. That 2010 season Stafford managed to start 3 games and didn't finish the one in which Johnson had the bad game.. I think Revis is a HOF CB but why just say that instead of crapping on Johnson??:cool:

PS Plus I like tweeking the hero worshipers..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4500143]You miss the point I was making DWC.. You put one game that Megatron had that was bad and I did the same for Revis.. That 2010 season Stafford managed to start 3 games and didn't finish the one in which Johnson had the bad game.. I think Revis is a HOF CB but why just say that instead of crapping on Johnson??:cool:

PS Plus I like tweeking the hero worshipers..[/QUOTE]

DWC loves to play the "if WR A had this QB to throw to him he'd put up crazy stats," so maybe I'll just say that if Megatron had Rodgers, Brees, or Brady to throw to him he would dominate Revis.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-25-2012 at 02:00 PM.