Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of Anthony Fasano

[QUOTE=KRL;4500165]He would fit but there's no way I'm giving up a pick and paying him 3.6
    for a #2 TE. If he gets cut bring him in otherwise I'll pass[/QUOTE]

Why would he be a "#2" TE, you're going to a ground and pound offense, I would think that your #1 TE would be a blocker 1st and a receiver 2d. Sure on third and long, it will be Keller, But I would think Fasano would get 40 snaps a game in this offense. I can see them both being on the field with keller either in the slot or as a H back, doing wham blocks on running plays.

Both guys are FA after this years, With most NFL teams placing a higher value on the pasing game than the jets, It would seem that Keller's attributes as a pass catching TE will make him much more costly to sign than Fasano.

However I do not see the fins trading one of their few offensive players.

How about Keller for Fasano + a third?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4500340]We gave up a 4th round pick for a backup qb who can't throw. A day 2 pick for a TE who would significantly improve our running game and pass protection plus give Sanchez another safety valve in the passing game is way more rational.

Fasano would make both Brick and, more importantly, Hunter better.[/QUOTE]

I'll bet that back up QB would make a hell of a TE if someone would just convince him he's not a QB.

How about we just wait til camp and see if he gets cut?

I mean it really wouldn't surprise me if he's a cap casualty. According to Jason's website, he has the 7th highest cap value on the team for 2012 ($4.375MM). If they cut him, it saves $3.6MM against the cap and only costs $700K in dead money for the Phins.

If they cut him, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Jets at minimum look into Fasano for the reasons mentioned by other posters. The Jets have shown a little bit of interest in beefing up the position: Remember last year they were interested in Todd Heap. If the money is reasonable, I would look into signing him to a two year deal with basically only guaranteed money for the 2012 season. It would allow the Jets to retain his rights for 2013 and serve as excellent leverage if the Keller talks stall (aside: FWIW, I think the Jets should just franchise Keller next year and let him walk in '14).

The concerns:

1) Even if he is cut, he could be out of the Jets price range
    2) Contrary to popular belief on this board, the Dolphins didn't run [I]that[/I] many 2 TE formations

I personally think he'd be a great fit if the money and opportunity is right (meaning he is cut). I've long thought that Keller needed someone to complement him so he can be most efficiently used. They need a run blocking TE but one that is competent enough to catch the damn ball if it's thrown to him (he can trip over his feet after that for all I freakin' care) so that defenses actually acknowledge his presence in the passing game and one who won't be a penalty machine. Mulligan was neither of those. Hartsock was a good blocker and didn't commit a bunch of penalties, but he had zero pass catching ability. I was interested in Kellen Davis this offseason, but he was re-signed by the Bears. I also support the Jets trying to get someone like Daniel Graham, who was recently released and could be signed for a cheap(ish) 1 year deal considering his age.

Jets Insider VIP
    So, his cap hit is $4.375 and not $3.6?

$3.6 was bad enough. $4.375 is out of the question IMO.

I agree. Wait to see if he's cut. Then consider him.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Tackleem;4500464]How about Keller for Fasano + a third?[/QUOTE]

Negative. You can find blocking TE's during later rounds of the draft, or even during free agency, but you never trade a dynamic pass catching TE threat in Dustin Keller, for a player such as Fasano... A run blocking TE who has a career high of only 39 receptions for 528 yards. That's his career high.

Dustin Keller has the overall speed, size and catching ability to cause problems for just about any opposing defense. He's also been our most productive offensive (skilled position) player since the drafting of Mark Sanchez. A pass catching TE has always been a young developing quarterbacks best friend, Keller has been huge for Sanchez over the years, and we're talking about trading away the most productive Jets pass catching TE in franchise history? Not a chance.

In 09 Keller ranked (amongst Jet players) 2nd in targets, 3rd in receiving yards, 3rd in receiving TD's and 2nd in 1st down receptions. In 2010 Keller ranked 2nd in targets, 3rd in receiving yards, 3rd in TD's and 3rd in first down receptions and last year? Keller ranked 1st in targets, 1st in receiving yards, 3rd in TD's and 1st in first down receptions. He's also ranked 3rd, 2nd and 1st each of the past 3 seasons in regards to plays of 20+ yards. Last but not least, Keller has ranked 2nd, 2nd, and 2nd in regards to yards after catch each of the past 3 seasons.

But yet, we're seeing fans talking about getting rid of a pass catching TE in which has been our most productive offensive (skilled) position player since the drafting of Sanchez. and also coming off a career year? Keller was ranked as the Nation's number one pass catching TE coming out of college back in 2008, and he's since lived up to that hype. He's improved his production each of the past 3 seasons despite the fact that he's played under an awful offensive coordinator along with a raw/developing quarterback in Sanchez. This kid gives Sanchez and our offense a matchup advantage each and every Sunday.

If Dustin Keller, at the age of only 27, has another strong season here in 2012? He'll be signed to a 3-5 year deal in no time. He's not going anywhere. Since the drafting of Sanchez, Keller's production has gone up each of his 3 years developing with Sanchez. Keller produced 45 receptions, 522 receiving yards, 27 first down receptions and 2 TD's in 2009. Keller produced 55 receptions, 687 yards, 33 first down receptions and 5 TD's during the 2010 season and last year? He's coming off a career high, putting up 65 receptions, 815 receiving yards, 39 first down receptions and 5 TD's.

If Dustin Keller continues to improve his overall chemistry with Mark Sanchez, while continuing to improve (production wise) as he's done each of the past three seasons? Then, we're looking at an 80 reception, 1,000 yard, 5-8 TD's type of pass catching TE. Sanchez needs impact players on the offensive end of the ball, and we're talking about trading away a prime Dustin Keller? Makes no sense to me.

In closing, can anyone find me 2 Jet TE's that had career averages that could beat 53.25 receptions, 639.75 receiving yards, 3.75 TD's and 32.75 first down receptions per season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but statistically speaking, Dustin Keller has been one of (if not the most) productive pass catching TE this franchise has ever had.

I pray he signed long-term before seasons end. He's improved each of the past three seasons, and he's done this with a raw/developing quarterback in Mark Sanchez. He's a keeper without question.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-25-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500513]Negative. You can find blocking TE's during later rounds of the draft, or even during free agency, but you never trade a dynamic pass catching TE threat in Dustin Keller, for a player such as Fasano... A run blocking TE who has a career high of only 39 receptions for 528 yards. That's his career high.

Dustin Keller has the overall speed, size and catching ability to cause problems for just about any opposing defense. He's also been our most productive offensive (skilled position) player since the drafting of Mark Sanchez. A pass catching TE has always been a young developing quarterbacks best friend, Keller has been huge for Sanchez over the years, and we're talking about trading away the most productive Jets pass catching TE in franchise history? Not a chance.

In 09 Keller ranked (amongst Jet players) 2nd in targets, 3rd in receiving yards, 3rd in receiving TD's and 2nd in 1st down receptions. In 2010 Keller ranked 2nd in targets, 3rd in receiving yards, 3rd in TD's and 3rd in first down receptions and last year? Keller ranked 1st in targets, 1st in receiving yards, 3rd in TD's and 1st in first down receptions. He's also ranked 3rd, 2nd and 1st each of the past 3 seasons in regards to plays of 20+ yards. Last but not least, Keller has ranked 2nd, 2nd, and 2nd in regards to yards after catch each of the past 3 seasons.

But yet, we're seeing fans talking about getting rid of a pass catching TE in which has been our most productive offensive (skilled) position player since the drafting of Sanchez. and also coming off a career year? Keller was ranked as the Nation's number one pass catching TE coming out of college back in 2008, and he's since lived up to that hype. He's improved his production each of the past 3 seasons despite the fact that he's played under an awful offensive coordinator along with a raw/developing quarterback in Sanchez. This kid gives Sanchez and our offense a matchup advantage each and every Sunday.

If Dustin Keller, at the age of only 27, has another strong season here in 2012? He'll be signed to a 3-5 year deal in no time. He's not going anywhere. Since the drafting of Sanchez, Keller's production has gone up each of his 3 years developing with Sanchez. Keller produced 45 receptions, 522 receiving yards, 27 first down receptions and 2 TD's in 2009. Keller produced 55 receptions, 687 yards, 33 first down receptions and 5 TD's during the 2010 season and last year? He's coming off a career high, putting up 65 receptions, 815 receiving yards, 39 first down receptions and 5 TD's.

If Dustin Keller continues to improve his overall chemistry with Mark Sanchez, while continuing to improve (production wise) as he's done each of the past three seasons? Then, we're looking at an 80 reception, 1,000 yard, 5-8 TD's type of pass catching TE. Sanchez needs impact players on the offensive end of the ball, and we're talking about trading away a prime Dustin Keller? Makes no sense to me.

In closing, can anyone find me 2 Jet TE's that had career averages that could beat 53.25 receptions, 639.75 receiving yards, 3.75 TD's and 32.75 first down receptions per season? Correct me if I'm wrong, but statistically speaking, Dustin Keller has been one of (if not the most) productive pass catching TE this franchise has ever had.

I pray he signed long-term before seasons end. He's improved each of the past three seasons, and he's done this with a raw/developing quarterback in Mark Sanchez. He's a keeper without question.[/QUOTE]

He's not "dynamic".

Jimmy Graham is dynamic. Rob Gronkowski is dynamic. Vernon Davis is dynamic.

Keller is an above average receiving TE who is virtually useless as a blocker.

He's extremely inconsistent and isn't going to be worth the money he'll command with Rosenhaus as his agent.

Add in the fact that Sparano favors a more traditional TE in his offense and all signs point to us letting Keller walk at seasons end.

And for the love of God, please tone it down with the stats in every single post.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4500529]He's not "dynamic".

[B]Jimmy Graham is dynamic. Rob Gronkowski is dynamic. Vernon Davis is dynamic.

Keller is an above average receiving TE who is virtually useless as a blocker. [/B]
    He's extremely inconsistent and isn't going to be worth the money he'll command with Rosenhaus as his agent.

Add in the fact that Sparano favors a more traditional TE in his offense and all signs point to us letting Keller walk at seasons end.

And for the love of God, please tone it down with the stats in every single post.[/QUOTE]

Why are you wasting yor time?

You absolutely nailed it.

Jets Insider VIP

And for the love of God, please tone it down with the stats in every single post.[/QUOTE]
    Pretty much sums it up.

The stat machine just doesn't get it.

Banned

Really? Because the last time I checked... Dustin Kellers first 3 years in the league were much better than Vernon's first 3 years in the league. Much better actually. And last year? During Keller's 4th season in the league? He put up better numbers when compared to Vernon (6th year).

Davis has a career average of 50.6 receptions, 633.3 receiving yards, 26.8 first down receptions and 5.8 TD's per season.

Keller has a career average of 53.25 receptions, 639.7 receiving yards, 32.7 first down receptions and 3.75 TD's per season.

So, Keller (on a yearly average) has Vernon beat in receptions, receiving yards and first down receptions... But yet, Vernon Gholston is "more" dynamic when compared to Keller? Too funny.

And give me a break when trying to consider Gronk and Graham as dynamic players due to having Brady and Brees as quarterbacks. Great talents, as is Keller, but Keller doesn't have Brees/Brady reading destroying opposing defenses. Keller only has Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500546]Really? Because the last time I checked... Dustin Kellers first 3 years in the league were much better than Vernon's first 3 years in the league. Much better actually. And last year? During Keller's 4th season in the league? He put up better numbers when compared to Vernon (6th year).

Davis has a career average of 50.6 receptions, 633.3 receiving yards, 26.8 first down receptions and 5.8 TD's per season.

Keller has a career average of 53.25 receptions, 639.7 receiving yards, 32.7 first down receptions and 3.75 TD's per season.

So, Keller (on a yearly average) has Vernon beat in receptions, receiving yards and first down receptions... But yet, Vernon Gholston is "more" dynamic when compared to Keller? Too funny.

And give me a break when trying to consider Gronk and Graham as dynamic players due to having Brady and Brees as quarterbacks. Great talents, as is Keller, but Keller doesn't have Brees/Brady reading destroying opposing defenses. Keller only has Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ

There you go with the stats again.

You're nuts if you think Graham and Gronkowski are just simply products of great QB play. Does it help that they have Brees and Brady throwing them the ball? Sure it does, but these guys would be tops at their position regardless of where they play.

And Vernon Davis plays with Alex f*cking Smith for crying out loud. Davis was known as a project player when he entered the league and it took him a few seasons to grow into the beast that he's been for the past 3 or 4 years.

Put Keller on the Pats or Saints and he still isn't posting Graham or Gronkowski numbers.

He is what he is, an above average receiver who makes way too many mental mistakes to ever be considered an elite player at his position.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4500552] Jesus Christ

There you go with the stats again.[/QUOTE]

It's just the truth in regards to production on the football field. Keller has been more productive when compared to Vernon Davis

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4500552] You're nuts if you think Graham and Gronkowski are just simply products of great QB play. Does it help that they have Brees and Brady throwing them the ball? Sure it does, but these guys would be tops at their position regardless of where they play.[/QUOTE]

I never said they were a "product" of Brees and Brady, but if they played with Sanchez while Keller was with Brady/Brees? Their numbers would go down big time, while Kellers numbers sky rocket.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4500552] And Vernon Davis plays with Alex f*cking Smith for crying out loud. [/QUOTE]

And Keller plays with Mark f*cking Sanchez for crying out loud. Alex Smith not only has a higher career QB rating when Sanchez, but also had a GREAT season with a QB rating of 90.7 last year. Alex Smith had a great year last season, and Keller, as only a 4th year player still put up better production when compared to a 6th year player in Vernon Davis .

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4500552] Davis was known as a project player when he entered the league and it took him a few seasons to grow into the beast that he's been for the past 3 or 4 years.[/QUOTE]

Actually Keller was more of the "project player" when entering the league. Vernon Davis was a 1st round draft pick, selected 6th overall. Dustin Keller wasn't drafted until the 30th pick of the first round. Also, I'm not sure how Davis developed into this amazing beast, when during his 6th season (last year) a 4th year player in Dustin Keller put up better production.

Vernon Davis put up a combined 181 receptions, 2,097 yards, 93 first down receptions and 22 TD's during his first 4 years in the league.

Dustin Keller has put up a combined 213 receptions, 2,559 yards, 131 first down receptions and 15 TD's during his first 4 years in the league.

Dustin Keller's first 4 years in the league were much more productive when compared to Vernon's first 4 years in the league. Also, Dustin Keller took a while to develop but he's improved each of the past 3 seasons while coming off a career year last season. He's only continuing to get better. Had more production as a 4th year player last season when compared to a 6th year "beast" in Vernon Davis.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4500552] Put Keller on the Pats or Saints and he still isn't posting Graham or Gronkowski numbers.[/QUOTE]

The same can be said for both Graham and Gronkowski. You put them on the Jets with a struggling Mark Sanchez, and their numbers decline in major ways. If Keller could put up 65 receptions, 815 yards and 5 TD's with Sanchez last season? He could put up 90+ receptions, 1300 yards and 12+ TD's with Brady/Brees as well.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4500552]He is what he is, an above average receiver who makes way too many mental mistakes to ever be considered an elite player at his position.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is what he is. A developing TE that's not only improved each of the past 3 seasons, but also coming off a career year. He just continues to improve. Which can't be said for Vernon Davis, who's declined in production each of the past two seasons (after having a breakout 4th year). Vernon had a crappy first 3 seasons, a breakout year during his 4th, and has declined in receptions, yardage, first down receptions and TD's during consecutive seasons. Question, how many mental mistakes did Vernon Davis make during his first 4 years? Exactly.

[QUOTE=JoePNYJ1;4500331]I totally agree. He would be a good fit for this offense but I wouldn't give up a pick. We need to continue to collect picks and not lose them.[/QUOTE]

Like I said, Im not a fan of wasting draft picks, but this isn't a waste, we are getting a PROVEN NFL PLAYER.

I don't want a list of 4-5th round picks that turned into all-pros, as they are statistical anomalies. The draft is educated guessing and the success rate drops considerably each round. So if we used a 5th round pick on a player that we know can play, how is that a bad use of a pick? Its not like fasano is 34 years old. THe point of the draft is to find players who are good for your team, well, isn't that what we would be doing?

I understand there is a chance he could be released, but that accompanies a chance that he gets signed somewhere else.

Side note....anyone comparing Keller to Gronk should really take off the green and white colored glasses

Banned
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500601]It's just the truth in regards to production on the football field. [B][U]Keller has been more productive when compared to Vernon Davis [/U][/B] [/QUOTE]

Seriously, are you friggn' blind?

Jets Insider VIP
    I believe the Jets let Keller walk after the season. They have many big contracts already and they are not going to dish out another one for keller.

And frankly, i do not believe he is worth the money he is going to ask for.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4500645]
    And frankly, i do not believe he is worth the money he is going to ask for.[/QUOTE]

Come on JWN, DWC just said Keller is more valuable than Veron Davis.

All Pro
    This is another one of those unknowns, that you people all seem to know. He's got great skills. We've seen him take over a game at times, but then he's gone. Same as Sanchez, I believe this is the year we find out what exactly we have. Perfect timing for him. We'll see what happens, but any of you saying he's average, or that he's dynamic, well you're both right, and you're both way to sure of yourselves. You don't know. I don't know how many players have thrived in one system then suck in another, but you guys are always so sure about everything no matter how many times you're wrong. I think these guys are going to thrive in the new offense, but if I said I was sure, I sound as ridiculous as you.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500642]Seriously, are you friggn' blind?[/QUOTE]

[B]Lets take a closer look at how Keller's first 4 years rank when compared to Vernon's first 4 years in the league...[/B]

Vernon Davis put up a combined 181 receptions, 2,097 yards, 11.58 yards per reception, 93 first down receptions and 22 TD's during his first 4 years in the league.

Dustin Keller put up a combined 213 receptions, 2,559 yards, 12.01 yards per reception, 131 first down receptions and 15 TD's during his first 4 years in the league.

Keler has Davis beat in receptions (+32), receiving yards (+462), yards per reception (+0.43) and first down receptions (+38). So, congrats to Davis for actually putting up 7 more TD's when compared to Keller during their first 4 years in the league. Other than TD's, Keller has Davis beat within each and every statistical category known to receiving tight ends. Receptions, Receiving yardage, average yards per reception and 1st down receptions all in favor of Dustin Keller.

[B]Lets take a closer look at how Keller's career numbers rank when compared to Vernon's career numbers...[/B]

Davis has a career average of 50.6 receptions, 633.3 receiving yards, 12.5 yards per reception, 26.8 first down receptions and 5.8 TD's per season.

Keller has a career average of 53.25 receptions, 639.7 receiving yards, 12.1 yards per reception, 32.7 first down receptions and 3.75 TD's per season.

So yes, Davis has Keller beat in TD's and average yards per reception, but Keller has Davis beat in receptions, receiving yards and first down receptions.

[B]How about we look at last years numbers?[/B]

Davis: 67 receptions, 792 receiving yards, 11.8 yards per reception, 33 first down receptions, 6 receiving TD's.

Keller: 65 receptions, 815 receiving yards, 12.5 yards per reception, 39 first down receptions, 5 receiving TD's.

You're the only "blind" person around here PatsFanTX. A blind hatred for anything positive in regards to our NY Jets.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-25-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500672][B]Lets take a closer look at how Keller's first 4 years rank when compared to Vernon's first 4 years in the league...[/B]

Vernon Davis put up a combined 181 receptions, 2,097 yards, 11.58 yards per reception, 93 first down receptions and 22 TD's during his first 4 years in the league.

Dustin Keller put up a combined 213 receptions, 2,559 yards, 12.01 yards per reception, 131 first down receptions and 15 TD's during his first 4 years in the league.

Keler has Davis beat in receptions (+32), receiving yards (+462), yards per reception (+0.43) and first down receptions (+38). So, congrats to Davis for actually putting up 7 more TD's when compared to Keller during their first 4 years in the league. Other than TD's, Keller has Davis beat within each and every statistical category known to receiving tight ends. Receptions, Receiving yardage, average yards per reception and 1st down receptions all in favor of Dustin Keller.

[B]Lets take a closer look at how Keller's career numbers rank when compared to Vernon's career numbers...[/B]

Davis has a career average of 50.6 receptions, 633.3 receiving yards, 12.5 yards per reception, 26.8 first down receptions and 5.8 TD's per season.

Keller has a career average of 53.25 receptions, 639.7 receiving yards, 12.1 yards per reception, 32.7 first down receptions and 3.75 TD's per season.

So yes, Davis has Keller beat in TD's and average yards per reception, but Keller has Davis beat in receptions, receiving yards and first down receptions.

[B]How about we look at last years numbers?[/B]

Davis: 67 receptions, 792 receiving yards, 11.8 yards per reception, 33 first down receptions, 6 receiving TD's.

Keller: 65 receptions, 815 receiving yards, 12.5 yards per reception, 39 first down receptions, 5 receiving TD's.

You're the only "blind" person around here PatsFanTX. A blind hatred for anything positive in regards to our NY Jets.[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]WILL YOU STOP IT WITH YOUR F****** USELESS STATISTICS?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500685][B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]WILL YOU STOP IT WITH YOUR F****** USELESS STATISTICS?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

Nothing useless about comparing A.) Keller's first 4 years to Vernon's first 4 years.

Nothing useless about comparing B.) Keller's career numbers to Vernon's first 4 years.

Nothing useless about comparing C.) Keller's 2011 numbers to Vernon's 2011 season.

It's only useless (to you) because you can't argue the facts, that Keller has ranked right up there with Davis over the years.

:yes:
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-25-2012 at 08:54 PM.