Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of Anthony Fasano

Value of Anthony Fasano

There was a small write-up on rotoworld (Palm Beach Post) about Anthony fasano not being a great fit with the dolphins new scheme as they are looking for “more athletic TEs” and at his size of 6’4 255lbs he is more of a blocker. If he is actually “expendable” it presents an interesting scenario.

First off, I don’t look at fasano as strictly a blocker, he is much more athletic then a guy like Anthony Becht was, so he can be used as a receiver, without ever being mistaken for Jimmy Graham. He is also a relatively consistent player with 30+ catches each of the last 4 seasons and a decent number of TDs (19 career) which is probably a result of his height allowing him to be a decent red zone target.

When you factor in our enormous need for a blocking TE, along with the fact that he already knows our offense, I would love to see us call Miami and offer a 4th round pick.

He makes about $3.6 this season which is pretty high, but is a FA after 2012 and could potentially be extended at an amount that is more favorable to the team and also serve as insurance if Keller doesn’t work out in 2013.

Seems like there are a lot of “fits” with him and IMO would be a great player to see on our roster on opening day.

All Pro
    If you want Fasano, wait till hes a free agent after this year. You do not give up a draft pick for a backup who is going to be a free agent next year.

All League
    He would fit but there's no way I'm giving up a pick and paying him 3.6
    for a #2 TE. If he gets cut bring him in otherwise I'll pass

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4500162]If you want Fasano, wait till hes a free agent after this year. You do not give up a draft pick for a backup who is going to be a free agent next year.[/QUOTE]

I agree a 4th might be too high, but I don't agree at all that waiting until he is an FA is a better plan than a 5th or even a 6th.

Is it worth a late pick to keep our QB alive by actually giving him a good blocking TE. Would it not be invaluable to have one player who already knows the blocking and protection schemes?

I don't like to waste picks, but getting an above average veteran who is very valuable to what we are trying to do as well as what we need is far from a waste.

I think Tannenbaum already plans to let Keller walk as he will require a more lucrative deal and will look to sign a guy like Fasano in his place.

Can we stop it with all these ex-Dolphins already???

I'm even ticked off at the Bell signing since it means Leonhard won't be coming back. :(

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4500162]If you want Fasano, wait till hes a free agent after this year. You do not give up a draft pick for a backup who is going to be a free agent next year.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=KRL;4500165]He would fit but there's no way I'm giving up a pick and paying him 3.6
    for a #2 TE. If he gets cut bring him in otherwise I'll pass[/QUOTE]

No love for being a "Sparano guy"? Is he worth[I] anything [/I]up front? He seems to know where the first down markers are; maybe he's got something.

Just asking

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4500229]Can we stop it with all these ex-Dolphins already???

I'm even ticked off at the Bell signing since it means Leonhard won't be coming back. :([/QUOTE]

Heaven forbid we get players that actually understand playing in our division.

Mercy.

[QUOTE=KRL;4500165]He would fit but there's no way I'm giving up a pick and paying him 3.6

I totally agree. He would be a good fit for this offense but I wouldn't give up a pick. We need to continue to collect picks and not lose them.

We gave up a 4th round pick for a backup qb who can't throw. A day 2 pick for a TE who would significantly improve our running game and pass protection plus give Sanchez another safety valve in the passing game is way more rational.

Fasano would make both Brick and, more importantly, Hunter better.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4500162][B]If you want Fasano, wait till hes a free agent after this year.[/B] You do not give up a draft pick for a backup who is going to be a free agent next year.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, but will the Jets have any cash left after Revis breaks the bank for a 3rd time?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4500224]I think Tannenbaum already plans to let Keller walk as he will require a more lucrative deal and will look to sign a guy like Fasano in his place.[/QUOTE]

I wish we could trade him and get something instead of just letting him walk.

[QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4500229]Can we stop it with all these ex-Dolphins already???

I'm even ticked off at the Bell signing since it means Leonhard won't be coming back. :([/QUOTE]

Fasano is actually a good player that would fill a need for us. I could care less what team he was on before. The Jets originally missed the boat drafting KellyAnn Clemens over him in 2006.

Bell isn't good but he's better than scrub Jimmy broke knee Leonhard (though that's not saying much).

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4500340]
    [B]Fasano would make both Brick and, more importantly, Hunter better.[/[/B]QUOTE]

Why would any Jets fan who wants win want this!!!:P

Banned
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4500348]I wish we could trade him and get something instead of just letting him walk.[/QUOTE]

What's the market value for an inconsistent TE who can't block?

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500344]Bingo, but will the Jets have any cash left after Revis breaks the bank for a 3rd time?[/QUOTE]

Tanny will get multiple first round picks for Revis if the negotiations get too out of control. It's been done before with Keyshawn Johnson and it actually worked out really well for the Jets. Just Abraham alone by himself was better than Keyshawn.

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4500354][QUOTE=detjetsfan;4500340]
    [B]Fasano would make both Brick and, more importantly, Hunter better.[/[/B]QUOTE]

Why would any Jets fan who wants win want this!!!:P[/QUOTE]

?

So your saying you want the pass protection to continue to be horrific?

Banned
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4500359][B]Tanny will get multiple first round picks for Revis if the negotiations get too out of control.[/B] It's been done before with Keyshawn Johnson and it actually worked out really well for the Jets. Just Abraham alone by himself was better than Keyshawn.[/QUOTE]

There is not [B][U]one team[/U][/B] out there that will give up multiple 1st round picks for Revis.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Fasano would be ideal for this offense.

One of the better blocking TE's in the league and can make some plays over the middle and in the redzone.

I favor the more traditional TE's (so does Sparano) and that's exactly what Fasano is.

Would be a great replacement for Keller next year.

All Pro
    We need a better player at tight end then Fasano. He cannot be a starter here. Hes not good enough.