Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of Anthony Fasano

I've been on the Fasano bandwagon before Sparano came aboard. Great blocker, sneaky receiver (more TDs than Keller the past 4 seasons), won't cost much and would fit the Jets offense perfectly. Give him a call when FA opens next season.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4500159]There was a small write-up on rotoworld (Palm Beach Post) about Anthony fasano not being a great fit with the dolphins new scheme as they are looking for “more athletic TEs” and at his size of 6’4 255lbs he is more of a blocker. If he is actually “expendable” it presents an interesting scenario.

First off, I don’t look at fasano as strictly a blocker, he is much more athletic then a guy like Anthony Becht was, so he can be used as a receiver, without ever being mistaken for Jimmy Graham. He is also a relatively consistent player with 30+ catches each of the last 4 seasons and a decent number of TDs (19 career) which is probably a result of his height allowing him to be a decent red zone target.

When you factor in our enormous need for a blocking TE, along with the fact that he already knows our offense, I would love to see us call Miami and offer a 4th round pick.

He makes about $3.6 this season which is pretty high, but is a FA after 2012 and could potentially be extended at an amount that is more favorable to the team and also serve as insurance if Keller doesn’t work out in 2013.

Seems like there are a lot of “fits” with him and IMO would be a great player to see on our roster on opening day.[/QUOTE]

Keller is much better that Anthony and will shine this season watch and see...

I just read through (somewhat) of this thread and learned that Dustin Keller is better than Vernon Davis.

ps... massive SMH

pps someone on the Browns or Jags FO staff please commission DWC to explain to their respective fanbases, using stats, of course, why their teams have legit shots at the Super Bowl this year, and are probably favorites.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-26-2012 at 04:04 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    We need to wait and see one season.. a season in which I think the JET OFFENSE in it's entirety, freed from the yoke of the predictable and in most games downright awful game planning of Schottenheimer will have a BREAKOUT SEASON

including Keller

I do think that Fasano is a pretty good pass catching TE who has made some very good clutch TD and other receptions for the Dolphins while having to deal mostly with Chad Henne throwing the ball..... which is only a few small steps better than the agony and horror that Bronco receivers have had to go through with Saint Timmy "throwing" the football

[QUOTE=sg3;4500879]We need to wait and see one season.. a season in which I think the JET OFFENSE in it's entirety, freed from the yoke of the predictable and in most games downright awful game planning of Schottenheimer will have a BREAKOUT SEASON

including Keller

I do think that Fasano is a pretty good pass catching TE who has made some very good clutch TD and other receptions for the Dolphins while having to deal mostly with Chad Henne throwing the ball..... which is only a few small steps better than the agony and horror that Bronco receivers have had to go through with Saint Timmy "throwing" the football[/QUOTE]

With the jets installing a completely new offensive scheme this year, and the need to inject Tebow's skill set, I think this year is more of an incubation period for the jets O than manner of the jet fans do. The Jets are in transition from one offense to this one, with pretty much the same personnel. Furgeson and Slausen are not smash-mouth guys, Although Hunter will benefit from the switch in schemes.

I don't like the jets depth at RB, however I do expect Greene to be in great shape heading into his contract year, I have not seen much of Connor but he should play a much bigger role. A TE playing on the tackle is normally a staple of a running offense, I don's see Keller fitting there but maybe as a slot type, h-back.

I think the jets personnel will change quite a bit on O next year.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=sg3;4500879]We need to wait and see one season.. a season in which I think the JET OFFENSE in it's entirety, freed from the yoke of the predictable and in most games downright awful game planning of Schottenheimer will have a BREAKOUT SEASON

including Keller

I do think that Fasano is a pretty good pass catching TE who has made some very good clutch TD and other receptions for the Dolphins while having to deal mostly with Chad Henne throwing the ball..... which is only a few small steps better than the agony and horror that Bronco receivers have had to go through with Saint Timmy "throwing" the football[/QUOTE]

Actually, Pennington made Fasano look like Chris Baker, the Touchdown Maker. I like Fasano's instincts; he and #15 for the 'Fins always worried me. But maybe Pennington helped him more than we give credit for.

[QUOTE=KRL;4500165]He would fit but there's no way I'm giving up a pick and paying him 3.6
    for a #2 TE. If he gets cut bring him in otherwise I'll pass[/QUOTE]

this...im not making a trade for him at all...if he's cut jump all over it.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=patman;4500892]With the jets installing a completely new offensive scheme this year, and the need to inject Tebow's skill set, I think this year is more of an incubation period for the jets O than manner of the jet fans do. The Jets are in transition from one offense to this one, with pretty much the same personnel. Furgeson and Slausen are not smash-mouth guys, Although Hunter will benefit from the switch in schemes.

I don't like the jets depth at RB, however I do expect Greene to be in great shape heading into his contract year, I have not seen much of Connor but he should play a much bigger role. A TE playing on the tackle is normally a staple of a running offense, I don's see Keller fitting there but maybe as a slot type, h-back.

I think the jets personnel will change quite a bit on O next year.[/QUOTE]
    All that talk you hear is just an attitude. There will be accountability, and physicality, but there will not be just run run pass punt. He won't run into a crowed box. That's not his style. If Sparano is anything he's open minded(He started the wildcat for Tebow's sake). The beauty of the wildcat is the option, and that's what we've already heard is going to be a staple of the regular offense. Each play will look the same, but there will always be options. Every receiver will have the responsibility to read the defense, and have set route based on how the defense reacts. We are going to run a relatively few number of plays. We will know these plays inside and out through repetition, so there will be less thinking, and more reacting. By the end of the year we should be firing on all cylinders, hopefully that's good enough to get us into the playoffs. We will know all we need to know about Mark by then. I'm betting he'll be great once he gets out of his head and starts having fun out there. Just my opinion
    You may be right about Slauson btw, but Idk about Conner. I don't think sporano is big on traditional FBs. Once again I believe that's got to do with options, and versatility. Keller has made himself a competent blocker btw and if he's used right the threat of blowing by them can be used to keep the defense on their heels. I don't think Sporano will try and fit square pegs in round holes. He seems very flexible to me. He had no QB in Miami, so he went wildcat. Whatever works, but he wasn't afraid to air it out in Dallas.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4500660]This is another one of those unknowns, that you people all seem to know. He's got great skills. We've seen him take over a game at times, but then he's gone. Same as Sanchez, I believe this is the year we find out what exactly we have. Perfect timing for him. We'll see what happens, but any of you saying he's average, or that he's dynamic, well you're both right, and you're both way to sure of yourselves. You don't know. I don't know how many players have thrived in one system then suck in another, but you guys are always so sure about everything no matter how many times you're wrong. I think these guys are going to thrive in the new offense, but if I said I was sure, I sound as ridiculous as you.[/QUOTE]

The voice of reason and common sense. I salute you Sir!!! :yes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500697]Even Jets fans are sick of your stat $hit.

You are really trying to compare a JAG TE like Dustin Keller to an elite TE like Vernon Davis? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

This Jet Fan is in agreement with him. Yes he is right to compare Keller who is no JAG no matter how much you say that. Keller's biggest problem is seemingly "disappearing" to often during the season.

But at his best, he is right in the conversation with the top receiving TEs in the league, period. If he becomes more consistent (playing in this new offense), he is a pro bowl caliber TE, bottom line. Even with his inconsistency he still put up the best numbers of his career which were better than Davis (I know numbers don't tell the whole story).

BTW, Vernon Davis is not known for his exceptional blocking skills; what makes him a true beast is his freakish 4.4 speed and is truly a threat to score anywhere on the field. That is rare for a TE. However, Keller is not exactly a slow poke himself. If he stays healthy, I believe this is the season that he puts it altogether.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4500845]Who's to say that the Jets aren't considering extending Dustin Keller's contract before his contract expires next offseason? Maybe we're hoping he has a monster season during his contract year.

Regardless of what you say PatsFanTx, you can't deny the fact that Keller's first 4 seasons in the league have been more productive when compared to Vernon's first 4 seasons. In short, Dustin Keller is on the right track.

First 4 years from Vernon Davis: 181 receptions, 2,097 receiving yards, 11.5 yards per reception, 93 first down receptions, 22 TD's and 4 fumbles.

First 4 years from Dustin Keller: 213 receptions, 2,559 receiving yards, 12.0 yards per reception, 131 first down receptions, 15 TD's and 2 fumbles.

These statistics above, only goes to show why Keller's DYAR and DVOA numbers/rankings are better heading into his 5th season (this up coming season) when compared to Vernon Davis heading into his 5th season (2011).

During Vernon's first 4 years in the league, he combined for an average DYAR of 7 (average ranking of 31.6) and an average DVOA of -18.5 (average ranking of 32.5).

During Keller's first 4 years in the league, he combined for an average DYAR of 39.5 (average ranking of 24.75) and an average DVOA of -1.1 (average ranking of 27.7).

It's a no contest.

[B]Last year:[/B]

Vernon Davis: 67 receptions, 792 receiving yards, 11.8 yards per reception, 33 first down receptions, 6 TD's, 3 fumble(s).

Dustin Keller: 64 receptions, 815 receiving yards, 12.5 yards per reception, 39 first down receptions, 5 TD's, 1 fumble.

If Vernon Davis is the "better player", one thing is for sure; it's most definitely not showing/translating onto the football field in regards to overall production/statistics.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Do you think Keller is better than Veron Davis? :confused:

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4501496]I'm not sure what you are saying here. Do you think Keller is better than Veron Davis? :confused:[/QUOTE]

I don't know, you tell me; are you seriously trying to tell me that you, out of all people, don't understand how to read DYAR and/or DVOA. I mean, after all, you're the one who mentioned it, no?

[QUOTE=FF2®;]
    are you familiar with DYAR and DVOA which are used to rate tight ends?[/QUOTE]

So once again, I never stated that Dustin Keller is "better" than Vernon Davis; I've simply made it known that A.) He's been just as productive as Vernon Davis on the football field (if not more productive) and B.) Dustin Keller's first four years in the league have been much stronger when compared to Vernon Davis' first four years in the league.

[B]DYAR & DVOA[/B]

During Keller's first 4 years in the league, he combined for an average DYAR of 39.5 (average ranking of 24.75) and an average DVOA of -1.1 (average ranking of 27.7).

During Vernon's first 4 years in the league, he combined for an average DYAR of 7 (average ranking of 31.6) and an average DVOA of -18.5 (average ranking of 32.5).

Don't say anything else (unless you admit the truth hurts; say nothing). But yeah, don't say nothing else... Since you understand how DYAR and DVOA works (in regards to RATE tight ends), which TE has/had a better DYAR and DVOA when comparing their first 4 seasons in the league ala heading into their 5th season, which TE was rated higher? That's all I need to know, what's the answer? (Waiting on you). Who had a higher TE rating heading into their 5th season; Keller or Davis?

If you don't understand, or don't know how to read DYAR and DVOA... I'll provide simple statistics.

[B]Simple statistics. [/B]

First 4 years from Dustin Keller: 213 receptions, 2,559 receiving yards, 12.0 yards per reception, 131 first down receptions, 15 TD's and 2 fumbles.

First 4 years from Vernon Davis: 181 receptions, 2,097 receiving yards, 11.5 yards per reception, 93 first down receptions, 22 TD's and 4 fumbles.

[B]It's a no contest. [/B]
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-26-2012 at 09:45 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4501520]I don't know, you tell me; are you seriously trying to tell me that you, out of all people, don't understand how to read DYAR and/or DVOA. I mean, after all, you're the one who mentioned it, no?

So once again, I never stated that Dustin Keller is "better" than Vernon Davis; I've simply made it known that A.) He's been just as productive as Vernon Davis on the football field (if not more productive) and B.) Dustin Keller's first four years in the league have been much stronger when compared to Vernon Davis' first four years in the league.

[B]DYAR & DVOA[/B]

Don't say anything else (unless you admit the truth hurts; say nothing). But yeah, don't say nothing else... Since you understand how DYAR and DVOA works (in regards to RATE tight ends), which TE has/had a better DYAR and DVOA when comparing their first 4 seasons in the league ala heading into their 5th season, which TE was rated higher? That's all I need to know, what's the answer? (Waiting on you). Who had a higher TE rating heading into their 5th season; Keller or Davis?

If you don't understand, or don't know how to read DYAR and DVOA... I'll provide simple statistics.

[B]Simple statistics. [/B]

[B]It's a no contest. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm still not getting your point. who do you think is better Davis or Keller?

Banned
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4501521]I'm still not getting your point. who do you think is better Davis or Keller?[/QUOTE]

Yes you are. You are getting my point. You do get my point. The difference? You're nothing more than a little-little toll in whom won't admit (refuses to admit) that A.) Dustin Keller ranks right up there with Vernon Davis as a pass catching TE and B.) Dustin Keller's production during his first 4 years in the league have been/are much stronger/more productive when compared to Vernon's first 4 years in the league. The numbers on the stat sheet, the production on the football field and the DYAR/DVOA (way to rate TE's) ratings doesn't lie.

You're the one who mentioned DYAR and DVOA as a way of rating TE's, but now that Keller's first 4 years in the league has Vernon's first 4 years in the league dead to right's (production/rating wise)... You no longer want anything to do with DYAR and DVOA talk, why is that? It's simple, it's because you, without knowingly doing so, mentioned DYAR and DVOA during a point and time where I was attempting to make it known that Keller's first 4 years in the league have been much stronger when compared to Vernon's first 4 seasons in the league ala an elite TE. DYAR and DVOA, two statistics that you mentioned (as a way of knocking Keller) actually played right into my hands. I played you like a game of poker. DYAR and DVOA prove that Keller's first 4 years in the league have been much more productive when compared to Vernon's first 4 years in the league.

Dustin Keller came into the league known as the best pass catching TE coming out of his draft class back in 2008; he's lived up to that hype thus far. He's improved his production each of his first 3 years with Sanchez as well. He's continued to improve ala coming off a career year. This kid is only getting stronger/better as the years go on (experience/knowledge of the game and position).
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-26-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Banned
    Double post.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-26-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Banned
    You ask me who's the better TE? There are two answers.

After 4 seasons, when comparing Dustin/Vernon in regards to heading into their 5th season? Dustin Keller is a better TE heading into his 5th season here in 2012 when compared to Vernon Davis heading into his 5th season back in 2010.

As of right now? You'd have to say that a 7th year Vernon Davis is better than a 5th year Dustin Keller; but not by much (if even at all). Last year just goes to show that Keller ranks right up there with Davis (in regards to ability/production on the football field).

2011-Keller: 65 receptions, 815 receiving yards, 12.5 yards per receptions, 39 first down receptions, 5 TD's/1 Fumble.

2011-Davis: 67 receptions, 792 receiving yards, 11.8 yards per reception, 33 first down receptions, 6 TD's/3 Fumble(s).

Keep in mind, that was Vernon's 6th season when compared to Keller's 4th season. If Keller continues to improve at this pace/rate? We won't be having this discussion two years from today as Keller's heading into his 7th season. Keller has went from 45 receptions in 09, 55 receptions in 2010 and 65 receptions in 2011. At this rate? He's on pace to put up 85 receptions during his 6th season in the league. He's gone from 522 receiving yards back in 09, 687 receiving yards in 2010 to 815 yards last season. At this rate/pace? He's on the verge of putting up a 1,000 yard season next year, or at least very close to it.

Keep in mind, that Keller has put up all this production with as some trolls would say "a career bum in Sanchez". Must be an elite/great TE to put up such strong receiving numbers with a struggling quarterback, no?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4501541]You ask me who's the better TE? There are two answers.

After 4 seasons, when comparing Dustin/Vernon in regards to heading into their 5th season? Dustin Keller is a better TE heading into his 5th season here in 2012 when compared to Vernon Davis heading into his 5th season back in 2010.

As of right now? You'd have to say that a 7th year Vernon Davis is better than Dustin Keller; but not by much. Last year just goes to show that Keller ranks right up there with Davis.

2011-Keller: 65 receptions, 815 receiving yards, 12.5 yards per receptions, 39 first down receptions, 5 TD's/1 Fumble.

2011-Davis: 67 receptions, 792 receiving yards, 11.8 yards per reception, 33 first down receptions, 6 TD's/3 Fumble(s).

Keep in mind, that was Vernon's 6th season when compared to Keller's 4th season. If Keller continues to improve at this pace/rate? We won't be having this discussion two years from today as Keller's heading into his 7th season. Keller has went from 45 receptions in 09, 55 receptions in 2010 and 65 receptions in 2011. At this rate? He's on pace to put up 85 receptions during his 6th season in the league. He's gone from 522 receiving yards back in 09, 687 receiving yards in 2010 to 815 yards last season. At this rate/pace? He's on the verge of putting up a 1,000 yard season next year, or at least very close to it.

Keep in mind, that Keller has put up all this production with as some trolls would say "a career bum in Sanchez". Must be an elite/great TE to put up such strong receiving numbers with a struggling quarterback, no?[/QUOTE]

So your saying you think Keller is better than Davis?

[QUOTE=FF2®;4501543]So your saying you think Keller is better than Davis?[/QUOTE]

Talent wise? Certainly not... Comparable thus far? Absolutely. Both disappear for entire games...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4501545]Talent wise? Certainly not... Comparable thus far? Absolutely. Both disappear for entire games...[/QUOTE]

do you have any stats to back this up?

[QUOTE=FF2®;4501549]do you have any stats to back this up?[/QUOTE]

Possibly.