Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy 30th Birthday Blade Runner

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4500942]I saw the first 3 Star Wars when I was 30 and thought they sucked.[/QUOTE]

My boys went through the whole Star Wars thing a few years ago, complete with watching the entire series 15 or 20 times, thousands of dollars spent on Star Wars Lego sets, video games, DVDs, etc.

While it was cool to watch them enjoy the same movies I had loved as a kid, I have to admit that as I watched them as an adult, they do kind of suck.

But, kids love them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rutger Hauer was a great villian in Blade Runner. Evil and treacherous, yet somehow a sympathetic figure.

The last scene, the "time to die" scene, was masterful cinema.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4501071]Clearly. But 30 years ago it was outstanding.

The perfect movie for a remake, updated with today's technology and a return to the even darker intent of what the original movie was supposed to be, but what got cut to pieces by the producers.

Kind of like the upcoming Total Recall remake, a great movie now redone with no campiness of Arnold.

_[/QUOTE]

Blasphemy

If they remake Blade Runner, I'm walking into Hollywood with 5 pounds of C4 strapped to my chest.

Let's remake The Godfather or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest while we're at it.

These talentless dicks in Hollywood need to come up with some new ideas. Stop f*cking with the classics.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 06-26-2012 at 01:50 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4501083]Rutger Hauer was a great villian in Blade Runner. Evil and treacherous, yet somehow a sympathetic figure.

The last scene, the "time to die" scene, was masterful cinema.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

One of my favorites scenes ever.

The "tears in rain" speech was totally improvised by Hauer. One of the very few scenes that ever made me shed a tear when I first saw it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4501071]Clearly. But 30 years ago it was outstanding.[/quote]

Ignore the various Fanboi Sinatra Obsessed or 'The Office' Geek Avatar haters tbqh.

It's [U]still[/U ]outstanding. It is not too much to say that it laid the groundwork, more than almost any other film, for the entire genre and look of modern science fiction cinema.

Only Star Wars had a similar effort, and that was more the "bigest flashiest summer popcorn flick" effect.

[QUOTE]The perfect movie for a remake, updated with today's technology and a return to the even darker intent of what the original movie was supposed to be, but what got cut to pieces by the producers.[/QUOTE]

No. Just no.

[QUOTE]Kind of like the upcoming Total Recall remake, a great movie now redone with no campiness of Arnold.[/QUOTE]

A vastly different issue. Total Recall V1.0 was almost a comedy, and bore little resemblance to the original tale. That warrants a remake, although teh results are as yet unknown.

Blade Runner, while substantially different than Do Androids Dream... is still serious and deep in the same ways the novel was. Redoing it simply to have better, flashier 3-D graphics would be...a waste.

Far far better to let this particular cinema Hall of Famer retire in peace now, and instead adapt any number of Dick's other similar themed works.

Ubik (An obvious choice).

Man in the High Castle (How has this one not been done yet?).

Flow My Tears the Policeman Said.

The Penultimate Truth (would make one hell of a film int he right hands),

Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, etc, etc, etc.

There is literally an entire shelf of Dick's work that could still be adapted and be massive blockbusters in the right hands, not counting his huge assortment of short stories (a treasure trove of film ideas).

No, no need for remaking Androids Dream or Blade Runner. It's more than good enough, more that deep enough, as it is. Remaking it would be like remaking Jaws. Pure blasphemy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I heard that Ridley Scott was either going to do a remake or sequel to Blade Runner???

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And for the record, if one were a REALLY smart Hollywood guy, they'd be working overtime to secure the right to, and the right director and cast for, this book here, which will (I think) one day be the "next Blade Runner" in terms of both the quality of the source material, and the brilliant film that could and should be made from it:

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Wind_up.jpg[/IMG]

Winner of a Hugo, a Nebula, a Compton Crook and a Locus Award. About as good as it gets for a "genre" novel.
    Last edited by Warfish; 06-26-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arnold's version of Total Recall is one of the great movies ever made.

That said, Warfish shows once again how much he loves Dick.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4501220]
    Ubik (An obvious choice).
    [/QUOTE]

This was Dick's seminal work.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Braumeister;4501238]Arnold's version of Total Recall is one of the great movies ever made.

That said, Warfish shows once again how much he loves Dick.[/QUOTE]

It's the thrust of my argument that no member of the Sci-Fi Hall of Fame can match the pure girth of quality work of Mr. Dick. His penetrating look at the dark hole of the human mind, his deep and thrusting insights into the thin wall between the real and unreal, our inabillity to persieve one from the other, and his abillity to simply **** the minds of his readers with the stroke of his mightly pen. Dick stands erect at the very pinacle of forward thinking minds in the Sci-Fi realm.

Yes, it's fair to say that I love the Dick.

The joke that keeps on giving.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4501259]It's the thrust of my argument that no member of the Sci-Fi Hall of Fame can match the pure girth of quality work of Mr. Dick. His penetrating look at the dark hole of the human mind, his deep and thrusting insights into the thin wall between the real and unreal, our inabillity to persieve one from the other, and his abillity to simply **** the minds of his readers with the stroke of his mightly pen. Dick stands erect at the very pinacle of forward thinking minds in the Sci-Fi realm.

The joke that keeps on giving.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

Well done!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4501259]It's the thrust of my argument that no member of the Sci-Fi Hall of Fame can match the pure girth of quality work of Mr. Dick. His penetrating look at the dark hole of the human mind, his deep and thrusting insights into the thin wall between the real and unreal, our inabillity to persieve one from the other, and his abillity to simply **** the minds of his readers with the stroke of his mightly pen. Dick stands erect at the very pinacle of forward thinking minds in the Sci-Fi realm.

since we're on the subject of sci-fi geekiness and dicks, have you ever read the "Hyperion" saga by Dan Simmons?

awesome stuff.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4501071]Kind of like the upcoming Total Recall remake, a [B]great movie now redone with no campiness of Arnold.[/B]

_[/QUOTE]

how dare you.

if you weren't an midget, i'd punch you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4501380]how dare you.

if you weren't an midget, i'd punch you.[/QUOTE]

Hey, lay off Stokes.

He took a 13 mile walk last weekend.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4501426]Hey, lay off Stokes.

He took a 13 mile walk last weekend.[/QUOTE]

that's a lot of baby-steps.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

LMFAO!!!!

You're a nut, Fist.....

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4500942]I think a lot of it is seeing it when it came out. Obviously now, after Matrix or others, it seems outdated.

I saw the first 3 Star Wars when I was 30 and thought they sucked.[/QUOTE]

You need to see them in English.

[B][I]Luc je suis ton père [/I][/B]doesn't have the same ring.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 06-26-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4500499]Released 30 years ago today. Great film.

[url]http://entertainment.time.com/2012/06/25/30-years-later-celebrating-blade-runner/[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt6-Lf37cDs&feature=fvwrel[/url]

_[/QUOTE]

While I am known by my friends to not like most of the movies I see, this was one of the few I didn't like that I cant understand at all the hype around it. I have certainly seen worse, but not with the same amount of hype as Blade Runner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4501467]You need to see them in English.

[B][I]Luc je suis ton papa, passe-moi la baguette[/I][/B]doesn't have the same ring.[/QUOTE]

fixed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dirtstar;4501373]since we're on the subject of sci-fi geekiness and dicks, have you ever read the "Hyperion" saga by Dan Simmons?

awesome stuff.[/QUOTE]

I have. :yes: