Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ran into Parcells today in Oyster Bay

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4501385]How long is the Jets wait list today?[/QUOTE]

Is there still a waiting list?

I think that since there are PSLs still for sale means that there is no list.

:dunno:

Unless there is a list for people waiting for people not to make their payments for a certain seat/section.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500709]2 Super Bowl titles in the last 4 years?

You don't get any better than that.[/QUOTE]

hook, line and sinker...

[QUOTE=petejet;4500999]Parcells changed the entire culture around the organization. He brought the team back to respectability. I am forever grateful and a big fan of his. Archie Manning cost us Peyton not Parcells.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Parcels kept us from getting Manning because he was a selfish scumbag and knew he wasn't going to stick with the Jets for the long haul. He didn't want to invest big money into a QB that he'd have to develop.

I'd much rather have had Manning for 10 years than Parcells for 3. F that turncoat. Rex has done more for the Jets than Parcels has ever done.

[QUOTE=petejet;4501088]So Archie has to approve of the HC and Parcells wants to keep his options open somehow this is Parcells fault?[/QUOTE]

YES! He kept us from getting the best QB prospect in NFL history, all because he knew he wouldnt stick around with the Jets long enough to see him develop. Then he passes on a cant miss Left Tackle in Orlando Pace.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4501182]I have to admit I thought Belichick could win us a Super Bowl and I would have taken the Video Spying charge to win 3 Super Bowls, Gladly[/QUOTE]

:eek:

The chowds didnt even believe this, until it happened, though they have gladly taken the SB cheat wins like you would have...apparently.

:rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=32green;4501561]:eek:

The chowds didnt even believe this, until it happened, though they have gladly taken the SB cheat wins like you would have...apparently.

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

everybody did it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;4501563]everybody did it.[/QUOTE]

I dont envy the nagging doubt's in every chowds mind.

They cant even enjoy it.

Being a Jet fan is a more enviable and honorable position to be in.

Oh the irony.

:dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4501385]How long is the Jets wait list today?[/QUOTE]

None, Jets tix cost a lot more than Pats tix so people got priced out with the new stadium.

Bewildered Beast
    [img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3628/3396214619_1cd8b28b25.jpg[/img]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4501522]Nope. Parcels kept us from getting Manning because he was a selfish scumbag and knew he wasn't going to stick with the Jets for the long haul. He didn't want to invest big money into a QB that he'd have to develop.

I'd much rather have had Manning for 10 years than Parcells for 3. F that turncoat. Rex has done more for the Jets than Parcels has ever done.[/QUOTE]

Nice job losing what little credibility you have. :rolleyes:

Banned
    I do feel that Parcells quit ala walked away from our team and franchise, but at the same time? I'll always have a special place in my heart for the big Tuna. He completely turned our franchise around and made us relevant for the first time in quite some time. I was 13-14 years of age during the 1998 season, and we may have came up short during the AFC Championship game against the Broncos, but that 12-4 season was a magical season during my childhood days. One that I'll never allow myself to forget.

Prior to Parcells accepting the Jets head coaching position? The Jets went...

4-12 back in 1989.
    6-10 back in 1990.
    8-8 back in 1991.
    4-12 back in 1992.
    8-8 back in 1993.
    6-10 back in 1994.
    3-13 back in 1995.
    1-16 back in 1996.

It doesn't get any lower than that. 8 consecutive seasons without a winning record. 1988 was the last time the Jets finished with a winning record (8-7-1).

Then came Bil Parcells. He immediately changed the culture of our franchise. He turned us (our teams) into winners. Since Parcells took over as head coach, and even after Parcells stepped down; we've yet to go on an 8 year drought ala 1989-1996.

Parcells took over as head coach back in 1997. He turned a 1-15 team into a 9-7 team. One of the greatest football turnarounds of all-time. We should've landed a playoff birth that year, but I remember watching us miss the playoffs by 1 game due to a week 17 loss against Barry Sanders and the Lions. We only lost by a couple points, but what I truly remember is a heart breaking loss in which Barry Sanders ran wild. Set (or tied) some type of record that day. But that season gave Jets hope when compared to the 1-15 disaster of 1996.

Parcells took and led our franchise to the AFC Championship game the following season of 1998. 12-4 set an all-time franchise record in regular season wins. How can any true Jets fan forget that season? Or forget what Parcells did for our franchise? Coach Parcells, Broadway Vinny, My favorite Martin, Keyshawn, Chrebet, and that Jets defense being led by Pleasant, Ferguson, Lyle, Lewis, Cox, Glenn, Green, Mickens and Otis all paved the way for Gang Green. That was truly a special team. A magical season in which fell just short of glory.

Parcells drafted us James Farrior (who later developed into a complete beast for the Steelers). Jason Fabini who played with us until 2005, Randy Thomas who played with us until 2002 (I've disliked the Redskins ever since they stole both Fabini and Thomas). Also drafted us (as GM) Pennington, Ellis, Abraham and Becht with our 4 first rounders. We even stole Laveranues Coles during the 3rd round under Parcells clock. Last but not least? Convinced Curtis Martin to leave the Patriots for the Jets. Landed us one of the greatest RB's I've ever seen. A true work horse #28 was. Gave us 7 consecutive seasons of 1,000+ yards. He landed Martin, Vinny and Cox during the offseason of 1998.

Man, how quickly some of you Parcells critics forget what this man did for our franchise. He turned us around. We've yet to win a Super Bowl (I truly believe 1999 was our year, until Vinny went down during the first play of the first game) but we've yet to become an NFL laughing stock since Parcells took over/left.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4501651]I do feel that Parcells quit ala walked away from our team and franchise, but at the same time? I'll always have a special place in my heart for the big Tuna. He completely turned our franchise around and made us relevant for the first time in quite some time. I was 13-14 years of age during the 1998 season, and we may have came up short during the AFC Championship game against the Broncos, but that 12-4 season was a magical season during my childhood days. One that I'll never allow myself to forget.

Prior to Parcells accepting the Jets head coaching position? The Jets went...

4-12 back in 1989.
    6-10 back in 1990.
    8-8 back in 1991.
    4-12 back in 1992.
    8-8 back in 1993.
    6-10 back in 1994.
    3-13 back in 1995.
    1-16 back in 1996.

It doesn't get any lower than that. 8 consecutive seasons without a winning record. 1988 was the last time the Jets finished with a winning record (8-7-1).

Then came Bil Parcells. He immediately changed the culture of our franchise. He turned us (our teams) into winners. Since Parcells took over as head coach, and even after Parcells stepped down; we've yet to go on an 8 year drought ala 1989-1996.

Parcells took over as head coach back in 1997. He turned a 1-15 team into a 9-7 team. One of the greatest football turnarounds of all-time. We should've landed a playoff birth that year, but I remember watching us miss the playoffs by 1 game due to a week 17 loss against Barry Sanders and the Lions. We only lost by a couple points, but what I truly remember is a heart breaking loss in which Barry Sanders ran wild. Set (or tied) some type of record that day. But that season gave Jets hope when compared to the 1-15 disaster of 1996.

Parcells took and led our franchise to the AFC Championship game the following season of 1998. 12-4 set an all-time franchise record in regular season wins. How can any true Jets fan forget that season? Or forget what Parcells did for our franchise? Coach Parcells, Broadway Vinny, My favorite Martin, Keyshawn, Chrebet, and that Jets defense being led by Pleasant, Ferguson, Lyle, Lewis, Cox, Glenn, Green, Mickens and Otis all paved the way for Gang Green. That was truly a special team. A magical season in which fell just short of glory.

Parcells drafted us James Farrior (who later developed into a complete beast for the Steelers). Jason Fabini who played with us until 2005, Randy Thomas who played with us until 2002 (I've disliked the Redskins ever since they stole both Fabini and Thomas). Also drafted us (as GM) Pennington, Ellis, Abraham and Becht with our 4 first rounders. We even stole Laveranues Coles during the 3rd round under Parcells clock. Last but not least? Convinced Curtis Martin to leave the Patriots for the Jets. Landed us one of the greatest RB's I've ever seen. A true work horse #28 was. Gave us 7 consecutive seasons of 1,000+ yards. He landed Martin, Vinny and Cox during the offseason of 1998.

Man, how quickly some of you Parcells critics forget what this man did for our franchise. He turned us around. We've yet to win a Super Bowl (I truly believe 1999 was our year, until Vinny went down during the first play of the first game) but we've yet to become an NFL laughing stock since Parcells took over/left.[/QUOTE]
    Decent post..... I remember we lost game 1 in 1998 and I thought, here we go. SOJ.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4501651] [B]Last but not least? Convinced Curtis Martin to leave the Patriots for the Jets. Landed us one of the greatest RB's I've ever seen.[/B] A true work horse #28 was. Gave us 7 consecutive seasons of 1,000+ yards. He landed Martin, Vinny and Cox during the offseason of 1998.

Man, how quickly some of you Parcells critics forget what this man did for our franchise. He turned us around. We've yet to win a Super Bowl (I truly believe 1999 was our year, until Vinny went down during the first play of the first game) but we've yet to become an NFL laughing stock since Parcells took over/left.[/QUOTE]

He didn't convince Martin to leave the Pats.. In Martins own words he said his favorite game as a pro was playing the Jets in 97 he carried 40 times for 199 yds and kept looking at his Tuna Daddy with pleading eyes saying; I want to be with you.. It took a poison pill contract to do it but Martin and the Tuna got it done.. Had Martin had a sane contract that he could have gotten out of he would have joined the Tuna when he became HC for Dallas.. I was against trading for Martin(a 1st and 3rd pick) but what killed me for good was the 14 yds rushing in the 98 Denver game and the fumble that lost Vinny in the first game of 99..:rolleyes: I do agree Parcells turned the franchise around but as a HC as a GM he wasn't that good..

Tuna never found a team that he wouldn't leave high and dry in the middle of the night.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4501764]Tuna never found a team that he wouldn't leave high and dry in the middle of the night.[/QUOTE]

Certainly something Jets and Pats fans can agree on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Austin;4501772]Certainly something Jets and Pats fans can agree on.[/QUOTE]

To be fair the Tuna said he would coach the Jets for 3 years and did.. In hindsight had he left after 3 and gave up the GM as well as the HC to BB who knows what would have happened?? Plus Hess dying didn't help matters..

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4501582]None, Jets tix cost a lot more than Pats tix so people got priced out with the new stadium.[/QUOTE]

Money is never the question around here.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Savage69;4501018]It was Parcells that wouldn't guarantee that he would take Peyton with the first pick of the 97 draft Archie Manning had no problem with NY or the Tuna..:confused:[/QUOTE]

Parcells answer was the same as any other GM would have given, that he would take him but if he were blown away by a ridiculous offer he wouldn't be able to say no given all the areas he felt the Jets needed to upgrade.

Archie wanted a guarantee because he feared his daughter would wind up in NO if they offered their entire draft to the Jets.

Archie was the problem.:yes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4501733]Decent post..... I remember we lost game 1 in 1998 and I thought, here we go. SOJ.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that the Garrison Hearst 96 yard run in overtime? Who could forget, I hate to say it but still to this day, one of the greatest runs that I've seen all-time.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502046]Wasn't that the Garrison Hearst 96 yard run in overtime? Who could forget, I hate to say it but still to this day, one of the greatest runs that I've seen all-time.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that was it. In 1998, for the 4th consecutive season, the NFL had the Jets open on the road (previous years openers were at Miami, at Denver, at Seattle). I knew the team had turned a corner when they played S.F. even for all 4 quarters in their building. Glenn Foley even looked good that day at QB for us vs. Steve Young.

I believe the Jets then lost the following week in their home opener to the Ravens, followed that with a blowout of the Colts in Vinny's first game ever, then lost on the road again at the Rams. If I'm correct, that was a 1-3 start for a team that would end with a 12-4 record. And the only other loss? To Peyton Manning in his rookie season after the Jets blew a 23-10 halftime lead. What a season.